Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th September 2015, 20:31   #32761  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
What is black bar detection for? I get that sometimes black bars are encoded into the movie and other times they are cropped out. I rarely encounter a time where I need to override aspect ratio in MPC. Are you trying to detect the aspect more accurately?
I don't get it either... What exactly is Black Bar detection for?

Also, are there any news of SM 5.0 OpenCL support for NNEDI3?
Old 7th September 2015, 20:51   #32762  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
madshi just said a few posts ago that he will look into it next (I suppose the coming) weekend...
But since SM version is slower on Maxwell, it will probably still be OpenCL.

---------------

Is it known that DXVA2 native decoding will give terrible chroma scaling quality with Nvidia?
The checkboxes for performance trade-offs are unticked (just like any processing in the driver), but chroma gets much blurrier though.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 20:59   #32763  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
What is black bar detection for? I get that sometimes black bars are encoded into the movie and other times they are cropped out. I rarely encounter a time where I need to override aspect ratio in MPC. Are you trying to detect the aspect more accurately?
it's mostly for user with a 21/9 screen.
first of all, all 21/9 movies on a BDs have black bars there is no 21/9 spec in the BD spec and there is no 21/9 spec in UBD too.

a lot of high end user use an projector with an anamorphic lens to get the 16/9 to 21/9 to use the full pixel count and to maximize light output. the resolution is still 1920x1080 that's why you can tell madVR that there is a anamorphic lens. with a 21/9 movie on a typical BD which is a 16/9 frame with black boards the black border are remove leaving a 21/9 which is than scaled to 16/9 and this is displayed at 21/9 thanks to the anamorphic lens. not that complicated right?

this is ridiculously useful.

it's useful for other things too like an old 4/3 show with 16/9 part in it the 16/9 aren't shown in a latter box anymore when watched on a 16/9 screen thank to that new feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
I don't get it either... What exactly is Black Bar detection for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
For the next weekend I plan to look into the NNEDI3 Windows 10 problem.
these are news to me.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 21:02   #32764  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
madshi just said a few posts ago that he will look into it next (I suppose the coming) weekend...
But since SM version is slower on Maxwell, it will probably still be OpenCL.

---------------

Is it known that DXVA2 native decoding will give terrible chroma scaling quality with Nvidia?
The checkboxes for performance trade-offs are unticked (just like any processing in the driver), but chroma gets much blurrier though.
there is an know issue with nvidia DXVA native and madVR even without DXVA chroma scaling. nevcairiel has pointed that out. luma is effected to just use copyback and forget it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 21:28   #32765  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
there is an know issue with nvidia DXVA native and madVR even without DXVA chroma scaling. nevcairiel has pointed that out. luma is effected to just use copyback and forget it.
Yeah, but what might be the reason? It does DXVA scaling without asking?
I'm just asking out of curiosity, LAV's copyback is working fine for me for years.
Old 7th September 2015, 21:32   #32766  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Yeah, but what might be the reason? It does DXVA scaling without asking?
I'm just asking out of curiosity, LAV's copyback is working fine for me for years.
The problem is that a DXVA decoder outputs D3D9 Surfaces, and a video renderer needs to convert that to D3D9 textures. Unfortunately, there is no NV12/4:2:0 texture type in D3D9, so it has to do some magic to convert it.
Usually, you would just employ DXVA scaling to RGB, which has a texture type obviously, and be done with it. But madVR wants the original NV12 data, so it tries some tricks to extract it, but it doesn't work losslessly on NVIDIA unfortunately.

madVR used to have copy-back options itself, but madshi removed them because LAV was more efficient at it in the end.

-----------

I hope we can also get some of the things started in 0.88.x sorted before diving too deep into yet more new features.
Its still hard to universally recommend 0.88.x (or ship it with JRMC for that matter) right now, as it seems to lack a degree of polish and stability.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 7th September 2015 at 22:13.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 21:40   #32767  |  Link
aufkrawall

Alright, thanks for clarifying.
Old 7th September 2015, 22:38   #32768  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.89.1 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: two startup crashes with some media players
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 23:37   #32769  |  Link

Confirmed, that fixed it for me in JRiver Media Center.
I can already tell that Zoom Control is going to become one of those "how did I ever live without it?" features.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 01:42   #32770  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by river1 View Post
I find that 0.89.0 will crash when using with xysubfilter.
Odd, I am using madVR 0.89.0 (32-bit) with XYSubFilter 3.1.0.705 (git caded62). No crashes so far.

I am using Win10 x64, Zoom Player, and overlay.

edit: madVR 0.89.1 (32-bit) works fine as well.

I notice the OSD displays Jinc upscaling even when "disable scaling if image size changes by only:" is active.

Last edited by Asmodian; 8th September 2015 at 01:48.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 03:18   #32771  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Black bar settings, somethign to new to play with

Thanks for the continual work!
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 05:15   #32772  |  Link
JonnyRedHed

madVR v0.89.0 & v0.89.1 crashing every time on first playback for me with Zoom Player Max (v10.5b6). A couple of crash reports were sent.
JonnyRedHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 06:19   #32773  |  Link
Farfie

Crashing seems to be fixed here so far, with 89.1, on MPC-HC.1.7.9.145.x64.
Farfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 11:27   #32774  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
My render, upload and present queue doesn't get filled (1-3/16) when using 1080p60 no problem if i choose 1080p23 (FSE) in win 10 using AMD card no problem in windowed mode.
Is it 1080p59 or 1080p60? And what kind of render times do you have? 1080p60 does require slightly more resources than 1080p23, even if the movie is only 23p. The difference is small, but there is a difference. Maybe you need to lower your settings a tiny bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
I am unable to play any videos using MPC-HC nightly and MadVR latest in Windows 10 (Yeah I know it's only just come out as final etc). I get a Direct3D creation error. I have tried fresh installs of both and set MadVR to FSE off etc. AMD R9 290 BTW with latest Catalyst drivers for Win10.

[...]

EDIT: OK I tried MadVR with MPC-BE and it works!
Are you maybe using DPI scaling? Try disabling that. Also try updating to the latest MPC-HC build. If that doesn't help, maybe you can ask the MPC-HC devs for help? I mean if it works with MPC-BE then that looks like an MPC-HC specific problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySword View Post
Edit6: Sorry it came back. Disabling ShadowPlay solved the problem again.
Not sure why/how ShadowPlay effects video playback, but there's probably not much I can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvans18 View Post
extremely minor, but can a scroll bar be added to the profile auto select rules section? i have quite a few and i have to use the arrow keys to navigate instead of mouse wheel
Sure, will do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I have to agree with this post. Here is an example from a 16 Mbps 720p MPEG2 ESPN recording. It was upscaled to 1080p with B75AR chroma+Lanczos3AR image+NNEDI3 32 neurons doubling+CR AR LL downscale.

Look at the text. No sharpening looks best to me. SuperRes at 1.0 strength starts to alias. 4.0 looks downright comical.
Does it help if you increase the SuperRes radius?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
Well that didn't change anything. Still getting inordinately long wait times for an image to show up. Still getting a brownish outline (almost like the emboss shader from MPC-HC) of everything in a video when in FS/FSE when image doubling with Nnedi3. When I take a screenshot using F5, the screenshot looks perfectly normal :shrugs: .
Does using a different (older or newer) GPU driver help, maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantara View Post
I might have found a bug in madVR.I am using madVR v0.88.21 in combination with the 64-bit RC of MPC-HC+CCCP. Since some time (I first noticed it with v0.88.14) the video often pauses when you leave the fullscreen mode. I already checked the settings of madVR, as well as MPC but wasn't able to find a checkbox or anything similar (The option "delay playback start until render queue is full" is also inactive). The problem didn't occur with older versions of madVR (and the same version of MPC). It was already there in Windows 8.1 and now continues to occur since I upgraded to Windows 10. It also doesn't happen if you select a renderer other than madVR.

EDIT:
I turned on debug OSD and it's always printing "Resetting Direct3D device failed (8876086c)" when you leave the fullscreen mode and the video stops.
There's also sometimes a "dxva proccessing failed" message (when you open up a file, etc.)
Does this still occur with v0.89.1, the latest GPU drivers, and the latest MPC-HC build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
madshi could have been a millionaire by now
Haha, I think you're "slightly" too optimistic there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantAli3n View Post
Should Smooth Motion be turned on if I'm using SVP?

EDIT: Nevermind, when I turn off smooth motion I get about 1 frame dropped per second so I guess I need it on. (Is that normal)?
Ideally you should try to make sure that your display refresh rate is set to exactly the same number of frames per second that SVP outputs. Then there should be no frame drops/repeats and you don't need smooth motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryokoseigo View Post
Since windows 10(latest nvidia driver) madvr wont work on my 4k screen in fullscreen. When I make it fullscreen and press play it crashes the display driver. If I move the video to a second 1080p monitor it will run fine in fullscreen. I have tried various settings, exclusive fullscreen, that dx11 option etc and nothing seems to work.
If the display driver crashes that sounds very much like a display driver bug. Normally a simple application like madVR should not be able to crash the display driver. Anyway, does the problem still occur if you use the latest drivers, latest madVR build and the latest build of the media player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuzakiL View Post
It seems DXVA2-CB is broken on Madvr using Win10, screen freezes while watching a movie with it on and crashes madvr, but if I set it to None it plays smoothly. So I guess Win10 is still a buggy mess.
AMD Windows 10 drivers were (are?) a bit of a mess. Try using an older driver, or maybe check if the very latest drivers fix the issue for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobypeter View Post
I installed the latest madvr(0.88.21) on my win8.1 X64, with GTX960(driver 353.62) and MPC-BE (1.4.5.587 & 501). It shows green screen while playing the 4K HEVC 10BIT LG demos using DXVA. After changed to MPC-HC 1.7.9, it shows "dxva processing failed" then rolls back to non DXVA mode. All the 4K HEVC 10bit/8bit demos can be played smoothly in non DXVA mode and all H264/AVC codec demos played normally.
If it's an issue with that specific file, only, then it might be a decoder issue. Does the same problem occur if you switch to a different video renderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Is there a SmoothMotion boolean for use in profiles?
Good question. I don't think so, will add it to my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmedHorror View Post
Hi, I have a 2.37:1 monitor (as opposed to 1.77:1, aka 16:9) which has a resolution of 2560x1080. When I play Blu-ray content on my computer this creates a unique sort of problem. You see, most movies are shot in 2.39:1 ("anamorphic") aspect ratio, which ends up being 1920x800 resolution on Blu-ray (it rounds to 2.4:1 instead of 2.39:1 which would be 1920x803). But there's one caveat: for some stupid reason, Blu-ray video content has hard-coded letterboxes (usually 140 pixels each in height) to make the rendered image equal 1920x1080 and thus fit most monitors which are 16:9. (In reality, media players automatically intelligently add their own letterboxes/pillarboxes thus negating the need for hardcoded letterboxes, but that's a separate gripe.)

So, as you may by now be able to imagine, my problem can be demonstrated with this illustration I made.

As you can see, Blu-ray's hardcoded letterboxes are treated as content to render as if it's part of the movie itself. Of course, any human knows that the letterboxes aren't part of the movie itself, but the media player doesn't know that. So my media player (MPC-HC) treats the video as if it's 1920x1080 because it's counting the two 140 pixel letterboxes as part of the video. Since my screen itself is only 1080 pixels high, the media player thinks it can't automatically zoom in to fill the screen with the full 2.40:1 movie.

By itself, this isn't a big deal. I can just manually zoom in with MPC-HC. Since my monitor is roughly the same aspect ratio (2.37:1) as anamorphic movies (2.40:1) a zoomed in Blu-ray is almost a perfect fit with my monitor, resulting in almost no black bars!
Nice demonstration image... Install madVR v0.89.1, enable the "automatically detect hard coded black bars" option, and in your situation the zooming will be done automatically by madVR! Make sure you have MPC-HC set to "touch window from inside" for this to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_lillevold View Post
After I installed Windows 10: whenever the screensaver has gone on, and I take MPC-HC with latest madVR full-screen, screen goes black, and I have to go back to normal size, and then back to full-screen. The problem is only with exclusive mode
Interesting. I don't have Windows 10 installed yet. Can anybody else confirm this to make sure it's a general problem or maybe specific to some GPUs or even karl's PC, only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
I also noticed Framedrops since MadVR .16 and later. They're clearly visable but not shown in OSD. They are random and I can not reproduce them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
I can also confirm that there is some strange frame drops / presentation glitches going on that does not show up in the OSD.
Does it still occur with the latest GPU drivers, latest media player build and madVR v0.89.1? If so, could you please try to isolate the *exact* madVR build which introduced the problem? That's very important. A rough build guess won't help. I need to know exactly that version madVR X did not have the issue and madVR X+1 does introduce the issue. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmedHorror View Post
Small bug I just noticed: When LumaSharpen is enabled within image enhancements and you change the radius value of it, madVR does not allow the Apply button to be pressed, as if it thinks no change has taken place. However, if you change teh strength or clamp values it will notice the change and let you press Apply.
This should already be fixed in v0.89.1.

Quote:
got my 4K TV yesterday. I have tested some things and would like to ask some questions:

- madvr is only running in windowed mode instead of fullscreen exclusive, when used to upscale to UHD, whatever I set it up to.

- is there a way to get the stats windows bigger when using 4K mode?

- what do I need to get 10 Bit mode working with 4k?
FSE: Have you activated DSR or are you using a higher DPI setting in Windows? If so, try disabling that. If that doesn't help, try updating to the latest versions of the media player and the GPU drivers.

Stats window text is not adjustable atm. Maybe in some future version.

For 10bit output you need Direct3D11 presentation - and FSE mode. And then you need to set your display to 10bit in the madVR display properties.

Quote:
I'm having some issues with D3D11 and FSE mode. With "Use a separate device for presentation" checked, when I exit out of fullscreen into windowed mode the sound keeps playing but the video is black. If I uncheck this then no issues.
That sounds *very* weird because if you enable D3D11 presentation, the option "use a separate device for presentation" should be implicitly enabled, too, internally by madVR. Are you 100% sure that toggling the "use a separate device for presentation" option makes any difference when using D3D11 presentation? It should most definitely not. If it does, something is very weird/wrong.
Old 8th September 2015, 11:27   #32775  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
However, when going out and then back into fullscreen, audio sync gets off and the render/present queues only fill up half way. Sometimes the video will just play in slow motion until I pause it and hit play again, then it works.

Switching from fullscreen to windowed is also extremely slow compared to D3D9.

This is on Windows 10 with the latest AMD drivers, but the problem was the same on 8.1.
Strange. Switching between fullscreen and windowed is rather fast here. Do you have 10bit activated, maybe? That does make things slower. Do all these issues still occur with the latest GPU drivers, latest media player version and latest madVR?

Quote:
is fullcreen exclusive mode not working with 2160p resolution?
It should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeno View Post
What are the requirements for running overlay mode? I have an NVIDIA GTX 860M running the latest drivers on windows 8.1 but madVR reports that these don't support overlay mode.
I think you need to have "present several frames in advance" enabled in either windowed or FSE modes, or both. I don't remember right now. Other than that it should always work on NVidia and Intel GPUs. But never on AMD GPUs, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomatrix View Post
Currently MadVR does not work with Bluesky Frame Rate Converter (http://bluesky23.yukishigure.com/BlueskyFRC.html), or not ?
I could not run their joint work in Windows 8.1, green screen always got, but running with EVR. As I understand that, MadVR does not accept RGB32 input, but can not switch to another stream output format in BFRC.
Bluesky Frame Rate Converter lets you watch 60 fps smooth video using the AMD Fluid Motion on AMD graphics cards in the player MPC-HC,BE,Pot.
I'm slightly confused by your post. madVR should support RGB32 input just fine. And I'm not sure if you're saying it works with EVR or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
I didn't get the black-bar detection, will it include videos actually 16:9 encoded as 4:3, by adding black bars up and down the video content area?
I'll explain this in a separate post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpace View Post
Nice idea, but one thing to consider: How will you handle partially overscanned video (some scenes have black bars, some scenes use the full image)? I should guess that you can't reliably detect such a situation, and even then, the treatment of such things may vary depending on the content.
For example, the content could be a compilation of unrelated videos, some of which have an aspect ratio different from 4:3 / 16:9. In that case, you'd probably want to crop each "segment" individually.
All of this should be taken care of by the latest madVR build just fine. Give it a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpace View Post
Then again, there could be a case (I've only seen this once, and I don't remember where right now) where the black bars appear to be completely useless, until a color inversion happens in the video - and they turn white! I think this would be one of those misdetections you mentioned, because this example's black bars actually hold information.
madVR might detect the black bars as black bars first, but as soon as they turn white madVR should detect that and change the detection rectangle. Things like this are extremely rare, fortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
madshi, is the black bars detection potentially useful in order to have xySubFilter subtitles rendering in the black bars area? For the future, I mean.
No, that's a whole different topic, but will be looked at "soon", too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshendricks1969 View Post
MadVR (with MPC-HC) suddenly started refusing to go into exclusive mode for me yesterday. No changes I've made to my PC resulted in this, as far as I'm aware of. It just seemed to start happening by itself.
Strange. Such things shouldn't be happening all by itself. Does the problem still occur today? If so, create a debug log for me, but make sure you enable the Ctrl+J OSD first, because with Ctrl+J enabled, the debug log will contain some more information needed to analyze this specific problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I was wondering if anyone had figured out the root cause for why the queues don't seem to fill up with the 10-bit FSE output if the present queue is set to a high value.
I think it's a GPU driver issue. Probably nobody other than madVR is using 10bit output with large presentation queues, so NVidia never got around testing this combination. You could try reporting the issue to NVidia, but I've no idea if there's any hope to get it fixed, unless many users complain about it. It might be necessary to double check if the problem is specific to NVidia, in order to have something to point them to. Otherwise they might just as well claim that it's madVR's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Can I send standard window messages (like WM_COMMAND) to MadVR through MPC_HC (through it's webinterface)?
I'd like to change couple of things remotely, e.g. the input level.
I tried to capture the hotkeys (CTRL+J, CRTL+SHIFT+ALT+I , etc) in WindowDetective , but mpc-hc doesn't have a clue about them
Good question, I've no idea. I suppose this doesn't really have much to do with madVR, right? I mean you want to make MPC-HC send some messages to the video renderer (regardless of what the video renderer is), right? In that case you may have to talk to the MPC-HC devs. If you want to talk directly to madVR, that's a whole different topic, of course. There is a network protocol madVR supports, but it's not very simple, and currently the set of supported commands is limited to what I need for my own purposes (and what's needed for madTPG / calibration remote control). I could add more commands, if needed, but that makes sense only if you can manage to actually connect by using the specific network protocol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
I sometimes watch content on my TV with the monitor in the other room on. So in this case the pc is running cloned dual monitor setup. In windows 10 I noticed that the screen is black for a few seconds when starting a video file in FSE – and also goes black for a second if switching to windowed mode. After this it doesn’t happen until I open another video file. Then it does it again. Also it seems that video playback is not smooth but choppy until I change from FSE to windowed and back to FSE again. These problems with switching from FSE to windowed mode dint happen in windows 8. It also doesn’t happen when only using one monitor.

I am unsure however if it is windows 10, driver issues, or something that can be fixed in madvr.
Not sure about the black screen when switching. Could be a problem I can't do anything about, or maybe I could try to reduce the delay. The choppiness might be something I could fix. But it's hard to say.

My recommendation would be to live with this for a while and hope that new GPU drivers, new media player builds and latest madVR builds will "automatically" fix this soon. If the problem stays for some more weeks/months, maybe I can look into it if you provide me with debug builds. But for now I'm very busy so I'd like to delay that, in the hope that newer GPU drivers might already fix it, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
Thanks. Maybe, Madshi can see if there is any solution.
How can I - without having a G-Sync monitor to test with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
BTW, after extensive testing I can safely confirm that this has fixed the "internal error" crash reports I notified you about on several occasions, usually the whole thing was randomly crashing right at the junction between two files when opening a batch of them in seamless playback mode.

PotP's coder kept telling me that the problem was with how mVR handled PotP's D3D GUI and you that PotP was the problem, still it's now solved.....just amazing, I can now open +300 files simultaneously with its fully skinnable D3D GUI that doesn't break FSE and it's all rock solid....sheer awesomeness
Glad to hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIX94 View Post
Everything runs smoothly EXCEPT when I press ctrl+j to open up the debug osd, that will crash my graphics driver within 0-30 seconds of having it open and sometimes it crashes so badly my pc cant recover and I have to hard reset. It doesnt seem to matter if I use DXVA2 or not, it just happens at random. Also it does not matter if I use DX9 or DX11, oh and I am not using FSE.
Ouch! Never heard about this one before. Have you tried different driver versions? This very much sounds like a driver bug to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonerd View Post
Hi madshi. madvr+mpc-hc - when OSD is enabled concurrently with Ctrl-J, - it renders behind the Ctrl-J info. Possible to reposition one or the other in a future version thank you!
Do you have to have both OSDs enabled at the same time? You can change the key shortcut in the madVR settings dialog.

Quote:
When superxbr doubling is enabled, there is a split second screen corruption when opening and exiting videos.

Problem goes away when superxbr doubling is disabled.
Strange. I don't see that here. I probably can't do much about it without being able to reproduce it on my PC.

Quote:
Ok so I tried to figure out the mysterious dropped frames in Win 10.

The only thing that actually works is to restart the computer, then typically the first movie I watch has no mysterious dropped frames.
After that, it's the same thing.

So I guess this must be something with Win 10. In either case, it's extremely annoying.
FWIW, I think it's more likely the GPU driver than Win 10 itself, but that won't help you, I guess.

Quote:
One question regarding debanding: considering the quality achievable with 10 bit output and quality dithering options... is debanding useful on a 10 bit display when rendering at 10 bit with madVR?
Are you asking "is debanding useful *only* on a 10 bit display when rendering at 10 bit with madVR"? Or what do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeno View Post
This has been spanning on for the past couple of pages but can anyone give a short run down on what problems madVR has with windows 10?
1) NNEDI3 not working with newer NVidia drivers.
2) Stability issues with some AMD driver versions.
3) Some users having problems with FSE mode not working, for as of yet unknown reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchikirukia View Post
Is there a way to get MPC-HC's status window to show the video framerate when using madVR? It worked under XP, but ever since I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then 10 it syncs to my monitor refresh rate. Using System Default renderer shows the correct frame rate.
I do a lot of encoding and having the frame rate is a big help when working with interlaced sources.
Do you have to read that information from there? Why not taking it from the madVR OSD instead where it's listed properly?

MPC-HC gets this information from madVR by using this API:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

According to the Microsoft documentation this information describes the framerate during playback which is different from the "authored frame rate". What you want is the "authored frame rate", which is not what this information describes. So basically you're looking at the wrong place, IMHO.

madVR fills this information with the number of frames that is passed to D3D9/11 for presentation. Which usually equals the display refresh rate if you have "present several frames in advance" activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvans18 View Post
i seem to have a problem where when nnedi3 quadrupling and SR is enabled, the chroma changes to jinc, but when SR is disabled it's back to nnedi3 like it's supposed to be
Strange. I can't reproduce that here. Are you sure you're looking at the right line in the OSD? When using NNEDI3 for luma doubling, but *not* for chroma doubling, there are actually two "chroma" lines in the OSD.
Old 8th September 2015, 11:28   #32776  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Switched back to Win 7 and catalyst 14.12. But noticed some problems with madvr 0.88.21.

watched a movie yesterday and while playing it in fullscreen exclusive mode (D3D11, 10 Bit) the screen suddenly went black. Sound and movie seemed to play on, but no picture. Had to exit fse to windowed and switched back to fse, that fixed it. Was the second time i had this strange bug.

Today I tried to switche back to D3D9, 8 Bit mode, but can't get a picture in fse. Don't know why. When I got some time i will try to switch back to 0.88.16 or 0.87.21 and see if it still exists.
Random problems are very hard to figure out. Please try to find a pattern. To reproduce them somehow.

Quote:
btw: should windowed overlay mode work on AMD cards? when I select it, it shows: "windowed overlay is not supported"
AMD doesn't support overlay, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
Mpc-hc was opened and the file pre-loaded but not playing. I then turn the projector on and played the file. I've done this before and never noticed this behavior, madvr would always recognise the monitor I was playing on.
I'll try again opening Mpc-hc after the projector had been switched on.
Turning displays on/off has quite dramatic results. madVR has to totally recreate the Direct3D interfaces etc. So it's always safer to first turn on the right displays and then start MPC-HC after that. Not sure why there should be a difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, though. Maybe Microsoft has changed something there, I don't know...

Quote:
Has the idea of implementing a delay between refresh rate switch and playback start ever been considered? Kodi handles it to great effect.
Sounds somewhat useful, but it would need a new GUI option etc. Too busy atm with other stuff. Maybe some time in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Madshi, can you add a new keyboard shortcut for toggling (enable/disable) image doubling? (it would be nice if it could remember its state)
Can you ask again some weeks/months later? My to do list is already too full atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate89 View Post
Hi. I'm looking to madvr profiling. Does exist a switch that allow to enable a profile if the laptop is running with ac plugged or battery? I'd like to set a lighter profile when I'm running on battery only.
Nope. Sounds useful, though. Maybe in some future version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranium View Post
I don't think I can screen shot FSE can I? It does it in windowed overlay too anyway so I took a shot of that. This is after only like 2-3 minutes of running. Maybe the few 30hz videos I have are encoded poorly. I have tried turning smooth motion off, lower upscaling settings, and since I was in there I unchecked present a frame for every vsync. Nothing changed this behavior so far.
My best guess is that those videos are actually 24fps not 30fps. Or maybe they have some 24fps sections and some 30fps sections? If they're 24fps all the way through you could set your display to 24Hz instead of 30Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlget View Post
MadVR crashing on video.
Here is crash report.
As i can remember,this video was working fine last time i checked.
That's a crash in XySubFilter. Try updating to the latest XySubFilter build. If that doesn't help, report it in the XySubFilter thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serhiyko View Post
Starting with madVR v0.88.17, subtitles are not hidden/shown in paused mode when I disable/enable them. I have to start playing the video for subtitles to actually hide/show. In madVR v0.88.16 and before, when I set subtitles to off/on in paused mode, they were hidden/shown immediately without me having to do anything else
I use the last version of MPC-HC, if that matters
Which subtitle renderer are you using?

Quote:
Hi madshi, I noticed this rendering bug (or feature) that was introduced in 88.17-89 which wasn't present in 88.16 and prior whenever I change playrate:

<= 88.16 = screen pauses momentarily displaying last rendered frame before the video renders at the new playrate

=> 88.17 = screen goes completely dark/blank before the video renders at the new playrate

the duration of the dark screen varies depending on how high the bitrate is e.g. 480p maybe 500ms to 4k maybe 2 seconds.

mpc-hc64 various versions / madvr64 and applicable on all possible madvr settings combination - default / all settings ticked, unticked.

While not a major bug, but I personally think that the former behaviour (last frame displayed) is more desirable from a user experience perspective.
The newer madVR builds also continue to render in paused and stopped mode. The purpose of that is that some media players want to continue rendering their GUIs even in paused/stopped mode. Now when you change playrate, it seems that no new frames are being rendered for a while, so madVR switches into paused/stopped mode rendering, so the media player's GUI still works. Since the old frames are already gone, you get a black screen instead. The old madVR build in this situation simply did "nothing", so the old frame was still visible.

In order to avoid this specific problem I've implemented a delay after which madVR switches into paused/stopped mode. In v0.88.21 and older builds it was 1 second, I think. I've already increased it to 2 seconds now in v0.89.1. So maybe the problem is gone now for you in v0.89.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
You mean to say an empty folder "ShowBlackBars", right?
Folder or file, doesn't matter. Just some file system "object" with that name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
By the way, the new features are majestic. I haven't encountered any issues or mis-detection so far. Thanks for the great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I can already tell that Zoom Control is going to become one of those "how did I ever live without it?" features.

Quote:
Some time ago I had all kinds of workaround in place to try to get the best out of the chroma channel when using native DXVA2. But it was very hard, and there was an unavoidable quality loss with NVidia, anyway (except when using copyback). Furthermore all those workaround cost a lot of performance. So a few builds back I decided to trim native DXVA2 to what it's original purpose was: Namely fast speed and low power consumption. Which means if you use native DXVA2, madVR will simply let the GPU handle the chroma upscaling, too. Obviously quality will depend on the GPU. But performance is good.

For highest quality either use LAV copyback or software decoding.

Maybe I can achieve the same quality with native DXVA2 if and when nevcairiel and I switch to DX11 DXVA. But I'm not sure if we will ever so that switch because nevcairiel says those interfaces are rather nasty.

Anyway, LAV copyback works great, so there's really no need for native DXVA decoding - unless you simply want the fastest speed or lowest power consumption - and that's what madVR now aims for when using native DXVA2.

Makes sense, I hope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I notice the OSD displays Jinc upscaling even when "disable scaling if image size changes by only:" is active.
Then probably more scaling than "by only" was necessary? Or do you think it was not?

FWIW, I was recently confused about this myself. Basically I played a 1080p movie in a smaller window. And there was a 1 line black bar at the right side. Once madVR detected the black bar, it was removed. So scaling changed by 1 line. And then I looked at the OSD and thought: Why is scaling still active for just 1 line? But then I remembered that I was still downscaling a 1080p movie to the window size!

Could it be something like that? The "disable scaling" option only goes into effect if both X and Y do not need scaling by more than the number of lines you selected. I can't treat X and Y separately, because then the aspect ratio would be distorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyRedHed View Post
madVR v0.89.0 & v0.89.1 crashing every time on first playback for me with Zoom Player Max (v10.5b6). A couple of crash reports were sent.
I replied via email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanyc View Post
I'm using amd dual graphic laptop
if I set mpc-hc to high performance in catalyst
and set madvr to d3d11, it will crash "only" when entering windowed fullscreen mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedpul View Post
I'm here to report a bug: madVR isn't working with JR Media Center since a couple of versions. I'm trying to track down the issue to the version when it started crashing. It crashes just when you hit play button. No problem with MPC-HC so far. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaju123 View Post
MadVR doesn't work for me in Windows10 in MPC-HC, it just crashes after a minute or two. Using 2x AMD r9 290 with 15.7.1 drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlget View Post
updated to 355.60.
Now whenever i try to go into full screen MPC-be crashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post
When EVGA Precision X is running (tested with version 5.3.7) madVR will crash after a few seconds/few minutes. It does not matter if used with full screen mode or windowed mode.
Who crashes? madVR? Or the media player? If madVR crashes, you should see a crash box like this:

http://madshi.net/exc-ss3.gif

The text will be slightly different, but the layout of the crash box should be similar. If you get the crash box, try to send the crash report to me. If you get a different crash box, then it's probably a crash in the media player.

Might make sense to first try updating to the latest driver build, latest media player build and latest madVR build to see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
When using DXVA native to decode a 1280x718 video, two problems occur that don't with EVR:
1. An extra row (or two?) of grey pixels appear at the bottom (only when DXVA scaling is used), forcing a tiny stretch of the video to fit into 1-2 less pixels.
2. If scaled to 100%, the player crashes.
Using which DXVA decoder? LAV Video Decoder? Is it the media player which crashes or madVR? See the comment above this one.
Old 8th September 2015, 12:12   #32777  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I've seen some users wondering what the purpose of the black bar detection stuff is. Here's a list of benefits:

1) display with unusual aspect ratio:

Blu-Rays are encoded in 16:9, regardless of which aspect ratio the actual video has. So most Blu-Rays have some sort of black bars encoded into the 16:9 image. 4:3 movies have big side black bars. Cinemascope have big top/bottom black bars. Even 1.85:1 movies usually have small top/bottom black bars. It's all fine if your display is 16:9. However, if you display aspect ratio differs, things become interesting. Here's an image created by user HelmedHorror which nicely explains the problem if you have a CinemaScope display:

cinemaScope display

Now what the black bar detection in madVR does is detect which part of the 16:9 Blu-Ray video consists of black bars and which part consists of actual video content. This information is then used to automatically center the video and to zoom the video to fill your screen as optimally as possible. So if you play e.g. a CinemaScope movie on a CinemaScope display, the movie is automatically zoomed to full screen. Without the black bar detection you would get big black bars all around the video in this situation, called letterboxing.

1) playing in windowed mode:

If you play a video in windowed mode, some media players automatically size their window to match the aspect ratio of the video. So e.g. on my PC MPC-HC opens a CinemaScope movie like this:

cinemaScope default window size

In a future madVR version (not implemented in v0.89.1 yet!) madVR will report the actual size of the video to the media player, so then hopefully the media player will size the window like this instead:

cinemaScope optimized window size

Saves precious space for other windows, doesn't it?

3) badly/weirdly encoded movies:

Sometimes movie files are encoded in a bad/weird way. E.g. some Japan broadcasts have the video shifted up and gigantic Japanese subtitles under the video. Many encodes have hard coded pillarboxing. Some have garbage at the borders. In all those cases madVR will detect the proper video rectangle and remove all the other crap. Some examples of such bad/weird encodes *without* black bar detection:

pillarboxing -- | -- japan broadcast -- | -- garbage border

madVR will detect all that, properly center the image and remove all the garbage.

-------

There are some more benefits. E.g. if you absolutely hate black bars, you can tell madVR to automatically zoom them (partially or fully, just as you like) away for you.
Old 8th September 2015, 12:28   #32778  |  Link
Sarasa
Lost In The Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Strange. I can't reproduce that here. Are you sure you're looking at the right line in the OSD? When using NNEDI3 for luma doubling, but *not* for chroma doubling, there are actually two "chroma" lines in the OSD.
I also have the same bug(?) as zvans18

Tested with a AMV clip, original size 512*384 (as black border MadVR reported size 512*301) > my resolution 1024*1080

My madVR Setting SD Profile :
Chroma upscaling : NNEDI3 32 / SuperRes 1-0.66-0.25
Image downscaling : Lanczos 4 AR
Image doubling : NNEDI3 64-32 (octuple activate)
Image upscaling : Jinc AR
Upscaling refinement : SuperRes 1-0.66 (only once/apply first)

in D3D11 Fullscreen Exclusive (10bit) OSD say
Chroma > Nnedi32
Image > Nnedi64 > Nnedi64 < Lanczos4 AR
Choma > Jinc AR > Jinc AR

And when SR in refinement is off
Chroma > Nnedi32
Image > Nnedi64 > Nnedi64 < Lanczos4 AR
MPCHC - madVR - Lav Filters - XySubFilter

Last edited by Sarasa; 8th September 2015 at 13:02. Reason: typo -_-;
Sarasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 12:39   #32779  |  Link
fedpul

Hi, I want to report that I am still having problems with the newer versions of madVR with JRiver Media Center 20, the latest version i can use without problems is 0.88.16, after thar no one works. No problems with MPC-HC so far.

Bug Report link: http://www.megafileupload.com/9irK/bugreport.txt

Thanks in advance.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 12:58   #32780  |  Link
Sunset1982

@ madhsi:

First I want to say a big thank you! I appreciate your hard work to push madvr to an even more better peace of software and I would like to say thanks for taking your time an answere all those "old" posts which are postet since your last visit.

Quote:
Quote:
is fullcreen exclusive mode not working with 2160p resolution?

It should work.

Quote:
Quote:
got my 4K TV yesterday. I have tested some things and would like to ask some questions:

- madvr is only running in windowed mode instead of fullscreen exclusive, when used to upscale to UHD, whatever I set it up to.

- is there a way to get the stats windows bigger when using 4K mode?

- what do I need to get 10 Bit mode working with 4k?
FSE: Have you activated DSR or are you using a higher DPI setting in Windows? If so, try disabling that. If that doesn't help, try updating to the latest versions of the media player and the GPU drivers.

Stats window text is not adjustable atm. Maybe in some future version.
Thx. I tried a lot of different things and disabling dpi scaling in Windows did the trick. Now 2160p is working in FSE and 10 bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_lillevold View Post
After I installed Windows 10: whenever the screensaver has gone on, and I take MPC-HC with latest madVR full-screen, screen goes black, and I have to go back to normal size, and then back to full-screen. The problem is only with exclusive mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madshi Interesting. I don't have Windows 10 installed yet. Can anybody else confirm this to make sure it's a general problem or maybe specific to some GPUs or even karl's PC, only?
had this problem too. But I did not know it was the screensaver. I had this strange behavior with win10 but also with win7 i think. Will test it tomorrow.

Quote:
Quote:
I also noticed Framedrops since MadVR .16 and later. They're clearly visable but not shown in OSD. They are random and I can not reproduce them.

Quote:
I can also confirm that there is some strange frame drops / presentation glitches going on that does not show up in the OSD.

Does it still occur with the latest GPU drivers, latest media player build and madVR v0.89.1? If so, could you please try to isolate the *exact* madVR build which introduced the problem? That's very important. A rough build guess won't help. I need to know exactly that version madVR X did not have the issue and madVR X+1 does introduce the issue. Thanks!
Since I changed my amd r9 280 gfx card for a GTX960 and switched back from win10 to win7 I don't have this glitches anymore. Don't know if it was win10 or bad amd drivers that weren't working well with madvr. But when i were on win10 I did some testing and had this glitches with 0.86.16 and .21

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling