Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th August 2019, 02:57   #1  |  Link
Djfe

UHD1 (Astra 19.2° East): how to test HLG for actual HDR?

Hi,

so I recorded a transportstream of the Channel UHD1 and I'm wondering, whether the material is actually HDR.

The whole channel constantly sends UHD with HDR-HLG and since it's backwards compatible to SDR: is there a program that allows me to analyze whether the full capabilities of this HDR mapping where used?

I don't even know how to word a google search request that could yield one, but I tried at least.

If there is no tool for this (which is my guess atm.), then it might be possible to extract 10bit PNGs from the stream. (I have a few tools at hand like ffmpeg or VLC)
How would I manually analyze such images in GIMP or another image tool?

I obviously would need a screenshot which is pretty bright/has a high dynamic range. (and should make use of hlg-hdr if it was recoreded that way, I can't use dark screenshots because hlg doesn't improve those afaik in order to stay backwards compatible to sdr, sdr devices simply cut off when it gets too bright (might look overexposed, but shouldn't when done right))

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Regards
Djfe
Djfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hdr, hdr to sdr, hevc, hlg, uhd