Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th July 2018, 21:59   #51701  |  Link
SirSwede

LAN Access - Let me see if I have understood this correctly

Please, let me see if I have understood the function LAN Access correctly:

If the menu says "Enable LAN Access", then LAN Access is disabled?

If the menu says "Disable LAN Access", then LAN Access is enabled?

Have I understood this correctly?

Thank you in advance!

SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 22:26   #51702  |  Link
Asmodian

That is correct, yes.
Old 11th July 2018, 10:04   #51703  |  Link
zeus0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
could it simply be that HDR is invoking a different profile on your TV which is set to FULL instead of LIMITED?
you mean a different picture settings profile?! (nope, it's the same)
zeus0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 10:51   #51704  |  Link
MishNZ

Video delay after initial start in DX11 Exclusive Mode

I use DSplayer with MadVR and I have everything set so that HDR passthrough works correctly. My display is 10bit so I use DX11 exclusive mode to get everything flowing correctly. The only downside is that with DX11 exclusive mode the audio starts and continues correctly while the video plays for a second then pauses for about five seconds then continues normally. This doesn't happen if I turn off exclusive mode. It also doesn't happen when seeking, just on initial playback. Any ideas?
Windows 10, GTX1050Ti.
MishNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 12:19   #51705  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishNZ View Post
I use DSplayer with MadVR and I have everything set so that HDR passthrough works correctly. My display is 10bit so I use DX11 exclusive mode to get everything flowing correctly. The only downside is that with DX11 exclusive mode the audio starts and continues correctly while the video plays for a second then pauses for about five seconds then continues normally. This doesn't happen if I turn off exclusive mode. It also doesn't happen when seeking, just on initial playback. Any ideas?
Windows 10, GTX1050Ti.
Hi, this is fairly normal behaviour i'm afraid, this is unlikely to change, I get similar issues, mine plays audio for a second with a black screen, then starts after about 2-3 seconds but then plays perfectly fine. You just need to find a way to live with it mate.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 12:30   #51706  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I have a similar issue under Windows 7, normal 8 bit display, no HDR, even with small video dimensions and in windowed mode in MPC-HC: The video starts with several seconds blackness but plays fine if I return to the start. If you say it belongs to DX11 Exclusive mode, I will try turning it off (if it was at all enabled), but right now I am not at the PC with this problem...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 11th July 2018 at 12:32.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 13:09   #51707  |  Link
iSeries

Another oddity for me with Win 10 (with Nvidia 1050ti). I was on 1709 and all of a sudden started getting audio drops when bitstreaming, however, other than that playback was perfect in D3D11 fullscreen windowed (neither overlay or FSE would work well). I clean installed 1803, which fixed the bitstreaming issue - however I now have a new issue (and maybe it's not an issue, I don't know). In D3D11 windowed mode playback starts out as it did before, the refresh rate jumps around a little bit, and then after some seconds it locks....but now after a minute or two, the refresh rate starts getting erratic again, jumping around, and it stays like that for the duration of playback. I am using smooth motion so no frames are reported as dropped.

But now all of a sudden FSE works perfectly - refresh rate is rock solid after a few seconds of playback. Overlay is also now usable, before I was getting frame drops every minute or so for no reason, and I tested it for 15 minutes and didn't get any frame drops, and just as FSE, refresh rate is stable.

So the issue is only with fullscreen windowed. This is with both the latest Nvidia driver and with 385.28. Focus assist / game bar and all that other nonsense is turned off. Anyone else seeing this with windowed mode, or is it just me lol.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 13:09   #51708  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus0r View Post
hey there!

HDR passthrough via madvr is working fine and it puts my TV into HDR mode like it should. problem is: the picture is waaay too dark then. in dim scenes you can't even recognize faces properly.

so i tried the same files with the TV's internal mediaplayer -> perfect picture, not that dark.

any idea what could cause this?

4k SDR clips look wonderful via mpc-hc so it definitely is a HDR-specific problem.

my setup:

- philips 55pos901 oled tv
- gtx 980
- win 7
- mpc-hc + lavfilters + madvr (latest versions)
for a test
go to the nvidia control panel and change the output color format to YCbCr 4:2:2 and test again.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 17:28   #51709  |  Link
zeus0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
for a test
go to the nvidia control panel and change the output color format to YCbCr 4:2:2 and test again.
same dark mess...

i'll install win10, maybe it really is a win7 problem.
Old 11th July 2018, 18:33   #51710  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
hey there!

HDR passthrough via madvr is working fine and it puts my TV into HDR mode like it should. problem is: the picture is waaay too dark then. in dim scenes you can't even recognize faces properly.
That's the image I would expect if your display didn't activate its tone mapping.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 18:43   #51711  |  Link
Warner306

How about this for a denoising filter in madVR?

NVIDIA's AI can fix bad photos by looking at other bad photos

Check out the video at the end. It is pretty impressive, but there is a little loss in sharpness.

It looks like that button in the movies that enhances security footage.
Old 11th July 2018, 20:03   #51712  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Those AI algorithms from NVIDIA are all quite impressive, but way too slow for realtime video use. Its more like something for offline processing of really bad videos.
Old 11th July 2018, 20:27   #51713  |  Link
Asmodian

Also, in regards to CSI style effects - the AI is adding fake detail that looks correct based on many other photos, not pulling the details from the image itself. Very impressive for viewing bad photos or videos but not great for identifying someone or similar forensic applications.
Old 12th July 2018, 04:29   #51714  |  Link
Warner306

It could probably be taught to recognize faces. In the end, it might not be any better than manual adjustment, but in real-time. Even though it takes milliseconds to render one image, getting it to run every 16-40 ms for video would likely be impossible as nevcairiel said.

Another of example of how deep learning is coming for everyone's job. Silicon Valley is obsessed with it. They can diagnose cancer in an MRI scan in 10 seconds using current neural networks.
Old 12th July 2018, 06:27   #51715  |  Link
zeus0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
That's the image I would expect if your display didn't activate its tone mapping.
and what could be the reason for that? win7?
Old 12th July 2018, 07:53   #51716  |  Link
MishNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Hi, this is fairly normal behaviour i'm afraid, this is unlikely to change, I get similar issues, mine plays audio for a second with a black screen, then starts after about 2-3 seconds but then plays perfectly fine. You just need to find a way to live with it mate.
If this can't be resolved, then surely a option for "Wait X seconds after switching to exclusive mode before starting playback" is required?
MishNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 08:10   #51717  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@Warner306: madVR is a renderer. Its purpose is to display video ... conveniently, as much as processing power permits, but most of all: fast enough. Image restoration is not its purpose, only displaying. A video filter for AviSynth or VapourSynth might be the better workflow for neural network based restoration algorithms (similar to NNEDI3). Here it appears quite off-topic to me.

New German Gleitz board
Old 12th July 2018, 16:34   #51718  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
@Warner306: madVR is a renderer. Its purpose is to display video ... conveniently, as much as processing power permits, but most of all: fast enough. Image restoration is not its purpose, only displaying. A video filter for AviSynth or VapourSynth might be the better workflow for neural network based restoration algorithms (similar to NNEDI3). Here it appears quite off-topic to me.
Removing artifacts from video is relevant. They all have them. Neural networks are one way to do it. Neural networks can do a lot of things for video. It is up to your imagination, really.
Old 12th July 2018, 16:37   #51719  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
and what could be the reason for that? win7?
No idea. Your display must be recognizing some of the metadata because it is switching to HDR mode. It doesn't make sense why it wouldn't tone map. It must not understand the language of the PC or have something to do with Windows 7. Or not all of the metadata is making it to the TV.

Check to see if the mastering display peak nits is shown in the OSD. Also, try another file to eliminate the source as the problem.

Last edited by Warner306; 12th July 2018 at 17:42.
Old 12th July 2018, 19:47   #51720  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Removing artifacts from video is relevant.
Then it may be a case for the decoder, because different video formats may produce different kinds of artifacts and may profit from format dependent artifact filters.

So, maybe ask for an option in LAV Filters. But I still believe that a renderer is the wrong place.

New German Gleitz board

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling