Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th May 2018, 17:02   #50701  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
If is has a good internal pathway that preserves madVR's dithering in 10 bit until the panel, and its FRC algorithm is good, it can be better to send it 10 bit.
Wait, do you mean FRC can look better or even as good than madVR's dithering? I thought FRC always showed artifacts in some situations and it was best avoided if you could (of course in 6-bit TN panels you can't).
Old 6th May 2018, 18:15   #50702  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Wait, do you mean FRC can look better or even as good than madVR's dithering? I thought FRC always showed artifacts in some situations and it was best avoided if you could (of course in 6-bit TN panels you can't).
forgive my ignorance. what it mean FRC?
Old 6th May 2018, 18:20   #50703  |  Link
MatLz
I often say "maybe"...

http://bfy.tw/I09E
MatLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 18:24   #50704  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatLz View Post
Love it.

You'd be be surprised how many questions I answer by Googling it myself. I sometimes have no idea what they are talking about, but in five minutes, I have an answer.

Will save that link...
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 18:29   #50705  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Yes, I'm applying customized 23hz refresh rate while in 60hz mode.
There is no secret for success with custom resolutions. You are at the mercy of the driver and the compatibility of your equipment. I was able to fix my issue by running DDU and reinstalling the drivers. But others haven't been so fortunate.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 18:31   #50706  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatLz View Post
hahahahahah i love it!
Old 6th May 2018, 19:32   #50707  |  Link
Kamikaze Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
What about the LG OLED TV's ? B6 , C6

for HDR you need to choose Game Console/HDMI instead PC Input , And choose HDR Standard Picture mode

what is GL ?
I have an E6. With the latest firmware HDR with the PC Icon mode is restricted to a rec709 gamut (reports as bt.2020). I had to downgrade back to 04.30.95 to get back to full bt.2020 (or as full as this OLED can go).
Also in the latest firmware for PC Icon mode, the CMS controls were disabled, couldn't change color gamut between normal/extended/wide, and a few other things that I don't remember.
And I did want HLG and the new tone mapping (no clipping) for HDR game mode, but I'm not going to sacrifice PC input latency and calibration controls for them (and just thinking about having to change icon modes annoys me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
You can use HDR in PC mode but, on the C7 at least, the gamut coverage is much worse. Home theater or similar offers better HDR rendering but also uses 4:2:2 color subsampling.
Have you tried earlier firmware? I know this gamut restriction was added in one of the last firmware updates for the 2016 models, so you might have the option of downgrading to get the full gamut back with PC Icon mode in HDR.
Kamikaze Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 22:21   #50708  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
forgive my ignorance. what it mean FRC?
Sorry, I now realise there are multiple things called FRC. In the context of LCD panels I meant this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate_control
Old 6th May 2018, 23:30   #50709  |  Link
wolfman2791

It was the stupidest thing lol. I forgot that windows overlay does not work with AMD cards. That was causing the strange noises from my R9 390. Since i have a 10 bit display, i need to use windows exclusive instead.
wolfman2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 05:46   #50710  |  Link
JarrettH

Ever thought though that someone wants FRC explained - in your own words - and not from Google search? It's like selling out your own expertise.

Last edited by JarrettH; 7th May 2018 at 05:50.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 06:04   #50711  |  Link
Chouonsoku

I'm not sure when this issue was introduced or if it's just on my end (or if it was previously mentioned), but the film deinterlacing mode seems to not be accessible in the current build. Playing back 29.970 fps content that should be progressive is stuck in the video deinterlacing mode. I've tried setting "force film" in the settings and also cycling between deinterlacing modes with Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T and all the shows on the OSD is "auto detect: video" and "video". Can anyone confirm this is happening on their setup?

Edit: And of course as soon as I finally post here to ask, it's suddenly working as intended. No idea what the problem was. -_-

Last edited by Chouonsoku; 7th May 2018 at 06:08.
Chouonsoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 07:27   #50712  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
There is no secret for success with custom resolutions. You are at the mercy of the driver and the compatibility of your equipment. I was able to fix my issue by running DDU and reinstalling the drivers. But others haven't been so fortunate.
That's just it, I could apply the same timings I'm trying to apply with earlier nvidia drivers. But with all latest ones it is not possible anymore.

There is obviously some driver limitation. Even the error that pops out says exactly this.

The question is maybe it's possible to override those limitations with madVR or with some registry tweaks.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 07:57   #50713  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
The question is maybe it's possible to override those limitations with madVR
If it were possible, madshi would have implemented those overrides already.

As for other workarounds and "tweaks", you are at the mercy of the drivers as Warner states.
People have had success using DDU and re-installing. Others have had to use other versions, and some simply cannot get it to work at all.
One thing that you have probably already done: make sure to switch to a mode that you are not trying to modify/add. Switch to a completely different resolution in Windows before trying the custom resolution steps. Making sure to remove any existing customizations.
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 08:10   #50714  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammerz View Post
If it were possible, madshi would have implemented those overrides already.

As for other workarounds and "tweaks", you are at the mercy of the drivers as Warner states.
People have had success using DDU and re-installing. Others have had to use other versions, and some simply cannot get it to work at all.
One thing that you have probably already done: make sure to switch to a mode that you are not trying to modify/add. Switch to a completely different resolution in Windows before trying the custom resolution steps. Making sure to remove any existing customizations.
Yes, tried DDU, clean installs... That didn't work.
Switch to a completely different resolution before applying the custom timings for 1080p. I did not try that. I only tried from a different refresh rate. That is a good idea. Will try that.

Last edited by FDisk80; 7th May 2018 at 11:20.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 11:14   #50715  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
I think the suggestion was based on the fact that the 1050ti has an on-board hi-res decoder, while the 1060 does not.
This is not true.
Harware video decoding is exactly the same in 1060 and 1050Ti (VP8 generation).

Thanks to everybody chiming in in the 3GB vs. 6GB matter.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 11:35   #50716  |  Link
huhn

they have a relative small difference.

the 1030, 1050, 1050 ti and 1080 ti have a "better" decoder that can decode VP9 profile 2.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 12:48   #50717  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

I've worked around the Windows 10 April 2018 Update problem (with the queues not filling up) by making some dummy profiles that use the inexpensive default scaling algorithms, and activating them "if (1 == 1)" (which is obviously always true). Hopefully madshi will be able to work around Microsoft's latest buffoonery.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 14:10   #50718  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
I've worked around the Windows 10 April 2018 Update problem (with the queues not filling up) by making some dummy profiles that use the inexpensive default scaling algorithms, and activating them "if (1 == 1)" (which is obviously always true). Hopefully madshi will be able to work around Microsoft's latest buffoonery.
In my system, to get rid of problems introduced by last spring update i needed just to uninstall AMD 18.4.1 (they claim this driver is for spring update) using DDU, then reistalled latest official amd 18.2.1. Now all goes perfectly again and i see lower timing.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 14:23   #50719  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
In my system, to get rid of problems introduced by last spring update i needed just to uninstall AMD 18.4.1 (they claim this driver is for spring update) using DDU, then reistalled latest official amd 18.2.1. Now all goes perfectly again and i see lower timing.
Interesting. Unfortunately I have an Nvidia card (GeForce GTX 1080) and I see the problems both with pre-update drivers (391.35) and post-update drivers (397.55).
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 15:02   #50720  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Interesting. Unfortunately I have an Nvidia card (GeForce GTX 1080) and I see the problems both with pre-update drivers (391.35) and post-update drivers (397.55).
My solution has been to use an older MadVr build and use NNEDI3 128 settings. I hope Madshi have the time to look into this when I comes back.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling