Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th July 2018, 11:21   #51741  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldnebel View Post
On Samsung TVs there's a special display mode to simulate HDR effects on SDR content called HDR+. It is used together with a function called optimal contrast.

Can we get such a feature for madVR? I guess those calculations done on the TVs are pretty low in quality?
+1 for that, ummm, more toys
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 13:50   #51742  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
MadVR custom res still work fine here: 2160p@23p, one drop every hour or so using the EDID/CTA parameters of my JVC.

That's with 385.28. Last driver that works perfectly here with my JVC.

Only downside compared to the 398.xx is the 3D (1080pFP) which has a frame repeat every 3mn vs 13mn. But this improvement isn't worse all the other issues with custom res, bit depth, HDR in 8bits, levels in 12bits, etc.

Some of these issues are JVC specific, but still, too many things are broken with more recent drivers. I'm going to stick to 385.28 until a JVC owner reports that a more recent driver works perfectly. No point wasting time installing/uninstalling with each new version.
(and we're back lol)

Well things are about to radically change for me. Tomorrow my new lg c8 65 and pio receiver will be here so I'm moving to 4k finally. I'm actually very glad the forum is back because I'm sure I'm going to have a few questions getting everything set up properly in madvr. No more 3d to worry about for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 19th July 2018, 16:08   #51743  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I had custom res' working but at some point in the last couple weeks after an upgrade it stopped working. I'm in the same boat with the 11-12 minute frame repeat that we get by default now. It's better than it used to be.
You are about the fourth person who has reported issues with custom resolutions with the new driver. I tried three methods and gave up before returning to the previous working driver and applied a saved optimization from madVR. You will likely be able to apply the EDID and nothing else. Whatever new optimizations to clock timings that were made may have broken custom resolutions.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 16:14   #51744  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldnebel View Post
On Samsung TVs there's a special display mode to simulate HDR effects on SDR content called HDR+. It is used together with a function called optimal contrast.

Can we get such a feature for madVR? I guess those calculations done on the TVs are pretty low in quality?
Creating HDR content requires careful grading, so I can't see real-time HDR grading as being a great idea. Colorists don't always manage to get this right with better source material and careful adjustment. I think you can get a similar effect in Windows by leaving the OS HDR switch toggled on at all times.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 17:30   #51745  |  Link
Asmodian

Custom resolutions are very strange, I just created and optimized a new custom resolution for 24Hz with madVR and Nvidia drivers 398.36. No issues at all, I have over 5h reported without frame drops or repeats.
Old 19th July 2018, 18:56   #51746  |  Link
arrgh

...upps... I thought this is the madVR-Forum... but obviously it is a Nvidia-forum...
arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 20:55   #51747  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Once upon a time, I subscribed this thread to get notified of new versions of madVR. But since I have no HDR content and no 10 bit displays, this becomes more and more irrelevant to me. And my only issue I have with madVR (several seconds of blackness at the beginning of every video) gets buried under tons of issues which don't touch me; I may even abandon it...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 21:10   #51748  |  Link
JarrettH

madshi puts out solid releases. I don't have HDR either and haven't moved from 0.92.12
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 21:37   #51749  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
You are about the fourth person who has reported issues with custom resolutions with the new driver. I tried three methods and gave up before returning to the previous working driver and applied a saved optimization from madVR. You will likely be able to apply the EDID and nothing else. Whatever new optimizations to clock timings that were made may have broken custom resolutions.
Yea, it's going to be interesting and I have a whole new situation to attend to as I just upgraded from my Panasonic plasma to an LG C8 OLED. Once the receiver comes tomorrow I will start working on getting madvr configured for 4K HDR with my nVidia 1060. I'm sure this will be just delightful fun trying to get everything working smooth. LOL Now that I'm on 4K I may opt for a 11 series nVidia card when they come out. I'm sure getting 4K smooth on my 1060 is going to be a bit challenging but we'll see.
Old 19th July 2018, 21:39   #51750  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Custom resolutions are very strange, I just created and optimized a new custom resolution for 24Hz with madVR and Nvidia drivers 398.36. No issues at all, I have over 5h reported without frame drops or repeats.
Stupid question time. How do you get the 24Hz custom res to stick the 23.976Hz timing? I tried this and when madvr switched to the 24Hz res, it literally showed 24.000.
Old 19th July 2018, 21:45   #51751  |  Link
Asmodian

I have no idea. It just did.

I opened madVR's settings while in 60Hz, double clicked the 23 Hz mode, selected my EDID, test, save. Then put 2160p23 in madVR's list of display modes and madVR switches to it perfectly.
Old 19th July 2018, 21:51   #51752  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
(several seconds of blackness at the beginning of every video) gets buried under tons of issues which don't touch me; I may even abandon it...
Do you have to use Full Screen Exclusive for some reason?

Also, attitude check please. Are you sure "I don't care about these updates for others, so why spend time on them? My specific issue is not being fixed, so I will stop using it unless you fix it" is what you intended to convey?

I am sure you do not need to use madVR, it is your loss of quality.

Last edited by Asmodian; 19th July 2018 at 21:56.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 21:54   #51753  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I have no idea. It just did.

I opened madVR's settings while in 60Hz, double clicked the 23 Hz mode, selected my EDID, test, save. Then put 2160p23 in madVR's list of display modes and madVR switches to it perfectly.
Nifty! Well, I'll try again. I'm likely to DDU that machine and install a clean driver given the upgrade so I'll have a fresh start. I no longer have to worry about 3D so...
Old 19th July 2018, 22:58   #51754  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@Asmodian:

This issue happens even in windowed mode.

And, well, you are right, it's just my issue, I may not even really need madVR, I may be all happy with e.g. EVR, often watching videos in windowed mode only. I don't want to make it sour for all other users. Sorry all. ... I just wondered if a separate thread for users with "luxury hardware" may have been useful. Not anymore, too late for splitting.

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 19th July 2018 at 23:00.
Old 20th July 2018, 02:07   #51755  |  Link
Asmodian

That is quite strange. This happens with all video modes? D3D9 Overlay too? With and without D3D11 enabled? Which GPU?

Do you have Aero disabled?
Old 20th July 2018, 05:56   #51756  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
And, well, you are right, it's just my issue, I may not even really need madVR, I may be all happy with e.g. EVR, often watching videos in windowed mode only. I don't want to make it sour for all other users. Sorry all. ... I just wondered if a separate thread for users with "luxury hardware" may have been useful. Not anymore, too late for splitting.
no one stops you from creating a thread.

you only mean a black video the rest is "normal" so the player controls are still visibile?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 07:39   #51757  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

For the first ~5 seconds, the video renderer stays black, but the clip in general plays as you can hear from the dubbed audio, and the player window around the renderer rectangle (menu, controls, window border) is visible too; after the initial blackness, the video is visible, even if you stop and jump back to the beginning. So it just seems to have an initialization delay per clip, after opening the file, for the first playback start.

And yes, Aero Glass is disabled, I have an Aero Basic design (due to a few ancient applications which would force a switch to Aero Basic each time they start).

New German Gleitz board
Old 20th July 2018, 07:49   #51758  |  Link
ryrynz

But what about the other options Asmodian mentioned? Almost sounds like something in memory interfering with the presentation.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 07:57   #51759  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

GeForce GT(S?) 450; the delay happens only with madVR, not with e.g. EVR or Overlay renderer; regarding the madVR rendering options, I will have to check in detail when I'm back home...

New German Gleitz board
Old 20th July 2018, 08:43   #51760  |  Link
chros

LigH, can you repeat which os, player, madvr settings do you use?
I don't have any issues on Win8.1, fse, 10bit.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling