Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd November 2018, 09:42   #53701  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you can already use a different GPU to render the on your screen. it's a default feature of windows 10.

you go to settings-> display-> graphics settings -> browse ->add your player

now you go to options and select high performance which should be your AMD card.
This works with switchable graphics in laptops, but not with two dedicated graphics cards, not that I know of anyway.
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:44   #53702  |  Link
huhn

sorry i don't trust anything any tech company writes on there products.

you have to test this.

as an example pure direct modes on Panasonic isn't pure at all and clearly not direct what so ever.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:48   #53703  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
This works with switchable graphics in laptops, but not with two dedicated graphics cards, not that I know of anyway.
i just did it on a desktop PC the HDMI connector isn't even shared.

not sure if my board has two pcie "16x" slots and i'm currently not interested in creating one with a knife to test this.
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:10   #53704  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
NGU AA low vs Medium Bear in mind this is enlarged 300%.

The jump from NGU AA low to medium is greater than medium to high, personally I prefer medium as my base quality setting but it's relatively minor at the end of the day. I say change it to low and be happy with the lower noise.
Thanks, by the way.

Do you mind showing me the same thing as super-xbr 100 vs ngu aa low? I'm curious if the low setting is any better.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:59   #53705  |  Link
ryrynz

NGU AA low vs Super-xbr 100 AR

Super-xbr 100 is a nice light weight option and my previous favorite but at 100 I feel is a tad sharp which you may notice as I did, at 75 however it should look fairly similar to NGU AA low.

Last edited by ryrynz; 25th November 2018 at 02:18.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:17   #53706  |  Link
voyager6868

Request for implementing proper 3:2 pulldown

From what I can tell madVR doesn't do 3:2 pulldown properly (see more technical details below). That is, if I play a 24fps video on a 60Hz display, it doesn't seem to show a regular cadence of AAABBCCCDDEEEFF etc.

A few points I'd like to make in favor of fixing this:

Many TVs can automatically do reverse pulldown if the cadence is proper and can show the video without judder. With an unpredictable cadence like madVR appears to provide, this isn't possible.

So, why not just switch the video mode to 24Hz? One, it takes a few seconds for some TVs to switch (blank screen while it does so) between modes, and two (this may be uncommon) some TVs have different input lag at 24Hz versus 60Hz, so the lipsync setting on a receiver needs to be regularly adjusted back and forth (mine has a difference of 110ms).

Further, some users may have a screen that does not support 24Hz and are used to this type of judder (e.g., North American users), so don't want to devote the processing power to enabling smooth motion (or are more bothered by the smooth motion artifacts that this judder). The current implementation is more jarring than typical judder as it appears to be more unpredictable.

My methodology:

1. Download the test here:
https://www.rtings.com/images/test-m...15/305_24p.mp4

2. Ensure your screen is set up to reverse the 3:2 pulldown. On many Samsung TVs, for example, this can be done by turning on Auto Motion Plus, Custom, setting both sliders to 0. If your screen can't do this, you can still run the test, it will just have a different ideal result.

3. Play the video in MPCHC with madVR output.

4. While playing the video, take a 1-second exposure of the screen (this can be done, for example, using the Camera app in Pro mode on many recent Samsung phones)

Ideal result: If your screen does the pulldown, you should see 24 equally bright squares. If your screen does not, you should see a regular checkerboard pattern.

Result with current madVR: Squares appear to have random brightness with no discernible pattern.

Result with YouTube in Chrome browser (search rtings judder test), YouTube app on AppleTV, Infuse 5 on AppleTV, Windows 10 stock media player is the ideal result as above.

So, madVR seems to be an outlier with regards to this support.

If I use Handbrake to set the video's FPS to 60, everything looks correct in madVR, so seems clear it is the 3:2 pulldown algorithm that is at fault.
voyager6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:23   #53707  |  Link
ryrynz

Hmmmmm.. Yeah, known issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ah, I see. So the imperfect 3:2 pulldown used by the current madVR build doesn't really bother you at all. You just noticed it, correct? I think since the introduction of smooth motion FRC most users don't use madVR's pulldown, anymore. Instead most users either have a matching framerate / refresh rate setup, or they use smooth motion FRC. So although I'm aware of that the pulldown needs an improvement, I don't think it's very urgent...
Been a few years madshi, maybe you can jump on this?

Last edited by ryrynz; 23rd November 2018 at 11:33.
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:41   #53708  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager6868 View Post
From what I can tell madVR doesn't do 3:2 pulldown properly (see more technical details below). That is, if I play a 24fps video on a 60Hz display, it doesn't seem to show a regular cadence of AAABBCCCDDEEEFF etc. [...] Many TVs can automatically do reverse pulldown if the cadence is proper and can show the video without judder. With an unpredictable cadence like madVR appears to provide, this isn't possible.
I can confirm, as I reported this a few months ago. Here's a direct quote from madshi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Yes, that is still the case. It's been on my to do list for ages to tune madVR to produce a repeatable 3:2 pattern when smooth motion is turned off, but I still haven't found the time to do that yet.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:41   #53709  |  Link
j82k

Interesting, that would explain why I'm getting weird hitching when playing 24p content over 60Hz even though my TV is supposed to be able to remove 3:2 pulldown judder.

Would be awesome if this could be fixed.
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 11:11   #53710  |  Link
stiffwin

That would be great!

Yes I would love to see this implemented too - no pressure, Madshi
stiffwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 19:12   #53711  |  Link
Bulldogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampallang View Post
As far as I heard they are both equal. only nvidia can't do 10bit output and the vega needs more power.
What does "vega needs more power," exactly mean? Bigger power supply or no limitation that is inherit to the card that can't be solved?
Bulldogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 21:28   #53712  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
The thing with Oleds is, they are terrible at near-blacks. Not only the uniformity but also the near-black gradation so I totally don't mind some dithering noise which hides this ugliness a little bit and also makes the gradation a little smoother. I wish Oleds would just dither the near-blacks by default like plasmas did. This would solve alot of problems and only cause a bit of noise.

edit: madshi should implement some algorithm to madVR for Oled owners that does heavy dithering to near-blacks and less and less on brighter parts of the picture.
Madshi, if this is something you could implement, there's a bunch of oled owners who'd be forever grateful! I know you don't have an oled but we could test for you. On my C8, I have to have madVR dither to 5bit to get acceptable near-black gradation.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 21:50   #53713  |  Link
tony359

Hi there,
I'm using DisplayCAL and MadVR's test pattern generator to profile my display. I've just updated everything to the latest version, including video driver (GTX 1050Ti). MadVR's patterns are constantly flashing on screen, there is a double flash every three seconds. I have never seen this before. Is this intentional/known/am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 22:56   #53714  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
What does "vega needs more power," exactly mean?
Uses more power.
Old 26th November 2018, 03:42   #53715  |  Link
seiyafan

How's performance on Vega 64 compared to GTX 1080?
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 04:13   #53716  |  Link
huhn

there are not a lot of vega cards out there is considered an all over pretty bad card for consumer use.

even the 56 can spike to ~600 watt for an relative long time. and it is unclear if AMD makes any money with them.

so not that easy to find a user with it. it could be much faster for madVR use than a 1080.
Old 26th November 2018, 06:03   #53717  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
NGU AA low vs Super-xbr 100 AR

Super-xbr 100 is a nice light weight option and my previous favorite but at 100 I feel is a tad sharp which you may notice as I did, at 75 however it should look fairly similar to NGU AA low.
Much bigger difference. I used xbr-100 for the longest time too. You can see here it's a bit too juiced up and in certain areas of cloth it feels like the colour is clipping. Thanks!
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 09:49   #53718  |  Link
SirSwede

Does madVR support using DCIP3 as colour gamut instead of Rec709?
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 11:32   #53719  |  Link
tony359

I'd like to update my last post

I found that the flashing only happens when FSE is enabled. I've now disabled it and all is good. Which takes me to the following question: is FSE still a good idea these days? I believe I read comments suggesting it's not really needed anymore.
Thanks
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 11:49   #53720  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
Does madVR support using DCIP3 as colour gamut instead of Rec709?
madVR supports all kinds of gamuts DCI P3 is one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
I'd like to update my last post

I found that the flashing only happens when FSE is enabled. I've now disabled it and all is good. Which takes me to the following question: is FSE still a good idea these days? I believe I read comments suggesting it's not really needed anymore.
Thanks
it depends on your system but you are usually fine without it.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling