Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th March 2021, 18:46   #61321  |  Link
HillieSan

The beta 129 and 130 can be downloaded but seems to have Trojan virus on board.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2021, 21:23   #61322  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
The beta 129 and 130 can be downloaded but seems to have Trojan virus on board.
False positive per Madshi.
Old 8th March 2021, 06:46   #61323  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
seems to have Trojan virus on board.
You need to learn what false positives are.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2021, 16:04   #61324  |  Link
mclingo

well I got through nearly 10 days this time before I had to turn smooth motion off, i'd really love to see some development by MADSHI on this after the bugs and stuff, whenever he gets time. Most of the time it looks ok but the loss of sharpness and fidelity gets me every time, I can deal with the slight smearing on fast shots.

I hear its better at higher frame rates but I cant see how that what work, why would it be sharper at 120hz for instance?
Old 8th March 2021, 17:07   #61325  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
But there is no real reason to use an old beta version so long.
Madshi said that he will always release a new beta version with a refreshed expiration timer before the previous one ends.
He added this because companies are selling PCs with madVR pre-installed which is not allowed by the license.
While I understand madshi has to take steps to prevent people profiting off his free software and unfairly competing with his own product, people should realize he also said the test builds' only purpose are to improve HDR tone mapping, not improve madVR for PC as a whole, and people who are not willing to keep updating builds and therefore sometimes encounter bugs or unexpected changes in processing quality should not use them, as you can't expect a stable experience without following that thread closely and understanding all the new settings and how to tweak them for your setup.

I personally am still using the v113 test build as I know what to expect from it and it was the last one for a long time (and I don't use smoothmotion which crashes with it), but if you consider a use case of wanting some stability for a system to just enjoy watching movies on, then madVR for PC hasn't received a development for anything other than tone mapping for 2,5 years now which is quite a lot.
So, for sure all the development for the Envy first appears in the PC version test builds so you can benefit from it if you want, but I think it's reasonable to expect only the development that benefits the Envy and only the bug fixes which allow it to continue will be added to the PC version from now on (except maybe if madshi decides to release some paid PC version?).
I still consider madVR the best renderer for now, but things change so fast in tech I hope it will stay that way.
Old 8th March 2021, 18:24   #61326  |  Link
JarrettH

I've noticed people talk about MPC Video Renderer as a faster option (is it)? But I don't think it's something they intend to develop more features for. I'm still hanging on to madvr for Smooth Motion, doubling, profiles, etc.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2021, 19:41   #61327  |  Link
el Filou

Yes, it's light and has reasonable quality, but madVR has many many more features.
The only thing MPC VR has that madVR still lacks is the ability to use D3D11 deinterlacing/processing with native decoding.
Old 8th March 2021, 19:58   #61328  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Yes, it's light and has reasonable quality, but madVR has many many more features.
The only thing MPC VR has that madVR still lacks is the ability to use D3D11 deinterlacing/processing with native decoding.
And HLG HDR "passthrough" That's a big feature difference.

Otherwise I agree with you what you said 2 posts ago. I just went back to b113, exactly for the same reasons you mentioned.

@mclingo, I've never liked and used SM, and I'm also with an Oled.

@SirMaster, I'm not sure that idea is valid anymore: there was not useable build for me since b123, and who knows when will be.
Old 8th March 2021, 20:10   #61329  |  Link
VBB

I used to be a big proponent of smooth motion, but I've gone back to my purist ways. These days, I match the refresh rate in normal HDMI mode with only Real Cinema enabled. I did try TruMotion at 2 again recently, but I just cannot stand the artifacting.

As for why SM works the way it does (from Asmodian's excellent guide):

"Uses frame blending to perfectly display the video’s frame rate at the display’s refresh rate without any dropped or repeated frames and while staying in sync with the audio. This eliminates frame time judder in exchange for slightly increased blurring due to the frame blending. The blurring is more visible when the refresh rate matches the source frame rate because all the frames will be blended frames. The blurring is less visible on higher refresh rate displays because fewer frames will be blended frames. Smooth motion will harm motion interpolation, do not use them at the same time."
Old 8th March 2021, 23:13   #61330  |  Link
mclingo

i cant say i notice any artifacts with TM on 2, panning shots are too jarring for me without it, we're all going to experience this differently though.
Old 9th March 2021, 05:16   #61331  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

TM on 2 is really quite nice. I decided to give it ago a while ago since I was firmly in the camp that TM was bad, full stop... But after trying it at 2, I'm totally impressed by the slight boost to motion at a zero cost to image quality. I too can't stand SM... to soft and fuzzy for lack of better words.

QB
Old 9th March 2021, 12:01   #61332  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
I too can't stand SM... to soft and fuzzy for lack of better words.
QB
Should shine when you have a HDMI 2.1 set that supports 120Hz. I'm hoping set manufacturers add their own blending options.
Old 9th March 2021, 18:51   #61333  |  Link
mclingo

i'm hoping my current 60hz panel will last a while longer yet as it I still love OLED passive 3d but i'll certainly give it a try with 120hz when I change up.
Old 9th March 2021, 22:10   #61334  |  Link
chros

I don't have any issue with framerate matched content and I don't use anything, not even trumotion on the TV, just like VBB.
Sometimes content is butter smooth, other times there is visible stutter. I wanted to say it's in the "source", but as it turned out, it's way more complicated. There was a good youtube video about it, I'll link it if I'll find it, basically it's the combination of the camera settings /panning speed/image resolution/and display resolution. There is even a software package that studios use that should handle these issues via postprocessing algos.
So when it happens, I accept it that this is what it is

Last edited by chros; 9th March 2021 at 22:13.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2021, 03:10   #61335  |  Link
SamuriHL

There's a reason the Hobbit movies were filmed in 48fps. As much as it made some people sick to watch, man it was smooth.
Old 10th March 2021, 04:41   #61336  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
Thanks, Andy. That's very useful information. There are two PCs in our main living room (neither of which can cope with any serious use of madVR). One is an Intel NUC that serves as an HTPC and which runs very quietly in a corner away from the seating area. The other is an older Dell Precision Workstation and is my primary computer. It's closer to where we sit, but is normally idle and silent when we are watching the TV. That's the PC I'm intending to replace, so a low fan noise level would be very important to me when using madVR on this new machine.

Do the fans on your 3070 FE start running when madVR is at its highest settings? For example, I'm assuming that using it to upscale HD to 4k would be more demanding than running native 4k with HDR.
I was curious myself so I did some logging with HWiNFO. I'm not sure how high settings is this but my upsampling setting is Jinc both for chroma and overall, with anti-ringing enabled. All the options to trade quality for performance are turned off, and smooth motion also turned off. Screen is at 2160/120p.

Playing a half hour of 1080p h.264 turned on the fans after about 18 minutes, temps started at about 38°C and increased to 61°C during that time. After that the fans stayed at about 1000 RPM and the temps steadily decreased until the video was over, at 35°C, but it was still going down. It only needs minimal airflow for the GPU to stay very cool in this scenario, and the fans were inaudible.

My setup is the most silent I could build, it's a Cooler Master H500, with fans replaced for 2x 200mm Noctua ones, and I even cut the case cause normally it has metal flaps blocking the 200mm fan holes on the sides. I installed the fans inside the case so it has more space to breathe behind the front mesh, and took out the PSU shroud cause it's a fanless Seasonic PSU.

I sit at about 2m from the case and I can't hear anything most of the time, the 5900x has a Noctua NH-D15S on it, and the fan does ramp up and is audible sometimes, but never when playing video unless I disable HW decoding in LAV filters.
Old 10th March 2021, 10:50   #61337  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
There's a reason the Hobbit movies were filmed in 48fps. As much as it made some people sick to watch, man it was smooth.
The first and second films were a hard watch but they improved the lighting in the final film so much they basically fixed the soap opera effect.
I'm surprised that it hasn't taken off and has improved in the process, can't stay at 24fps forever, I want the smoother motion but the same visual appearance of 24fps
but this seems like it's too much effort for anyone outside of the pioneers of film.
Old 10th March 2021, 12:41   #61338  |  Link
Alexkral

All three look amazing in 3D @ 60fps with SVP IMHO, the second better than the first and the third the best. But I agree that the lighting is decisive.
Old 10th March 2021, 12:45   #61339  |  Link
el Filou

It's possible to still get the 'cinema motion look' with higher frame rates if they use shutter speed of 1/(2x fps), equivalent to a 180° with a rotating shutter. As you say and noticed on the Hobbit films, it's not always easy because you then need two times as much light.
Old 10th March 2021, 13:18   #61340  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quite true on the lighting. It was the first time anyone had tried using 48. It did evolve as you said. My point in bringing it up here is that it would have been nice if the bd or uhd had given us 48 as well. I suspect that would look remarkable in madvr.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling