Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 15th July 2008, 16:30   #301  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Release 2.1.0 Alpha build 080715

Only "NoInstall" package.

Change Log:

- Some bugs fixed
- Added simple DVD Menu editing and building (only widescreen format)
- Added an option to quickly lock the Video Encoding Profiles
- Added adaptive quantization to HCenc encoding (AQ 1)
- Added 'Custom DVD Size' storing
- Added main AVStoDVD form position storing upon exit
- Added 'Restore default Settings' in main form menu
- Improved use of BatchMux (many thanks to Sir Didymus for his help)
- Improved use of API BrowseForFolder
- Improved log activity
- Removed internal check on DVD drive status before burning (ImgBurn does the stuff by itself)
- MediaInfo updated to 0.7.7.2

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 15th July 2008 at 16:32.
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 17:15   #302  |  Link
Sir Didymus

After a couple of quick test runs, it looks nice, very nice!!!.

Cheers,
SD
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 18:09   #303  |  Link
rendez2k

A really good menu editor for a first beta! I need to play more and I've had one crash so far in the editor but its a good start. One small point is that I have to add 1 title at a time - ideally I'd like to be able to select multiple videos in one go to add. Also, if I save a menu I assume it overwrites the original? Maybe a 'save as' would be better?

What are you're plans and future features for the editor before I start suggesting things :-)

Last edited by rendez2k; 15th July 2008 at 18:33.
rendez2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 18:31   #304  |  Link
rendez2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
For people interested in adding custom initialisations to the encodes based on HCenc, Darksoul71 has just released a very interesting wrapper for HCenc. See here the details:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=139277

However I did not perform any test on my own (at least up to this moment...) of AVStoDVD + HCWrap...

Cheers,
SD
Appears to work on my limited test: just running an encode with normal profile :-)
Old 15th July 2008, 19:36   #305  |  Link
rendez2k

Alpha doesn't appear to be holding custom disc size on program restart
Old 16th July 2008, 07:59   #306  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k View Post
One small point is that I have to add 1 title at a time - ideally I'd like to be able to select multiple videos in one go to add
Good suggestion, even if it is not related to DVD Menu Editor but to main form.

Quote:
Also, if I save a menu I assume it overwrites the original? Maybe a 'save as' would be better?
The "Save and Exit" button is releated only to current project DVD Menu settings, not to the template. Templates can be modified (or added) manually going to \AVStoDVD\Menu\Templates folder.

Quote:
What are you're plans and future features for the editor before I start suggesting things :-)
Just 2 to begin: support to motion menu and background audio. Btw, feel free to request new features. My free time is the main limitation...

Quote:
Alpha doesn't appear to be holding custom disc size on program restart
Do not confuse "DVD Size" with "Custom DVD Size". AVStoDVD stores only last typed "Custom DVD Size". When you restart AVStoDVD, "DVD Size" is always set to 'DVD-5' (like default "Ouput" is always 'DVD Folder Structure'), but if you select 'Custom', you will be prompted with last inserted "Custom DVD Size".

Hint: you can select "DVD Size" also by right-clicking on its Status Bar section.

Hope to have understood what you meant and have answered.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 16th July 2008, 08:21   #307  |  Link
rendez2k

Thanks for the answers! Motion menus would be brilliant. With regards to adding more than one title at a time, would drag and drop from windows explorer onto the title list be an option? After a night of testing, I guess the main things with the menu editor would be

- drag and drop interaction - so to move or delete something you could literally click and drag (maybe with some simple align tools?). I didn't really like the default layout when I added 6 titles. It put five thumbnails across the top and one underneath. I would have had to manually re-align them to get 3 at the top and 3 at the bottom. What about some quick layout templates if not?
- the option not to have the play all button (don't like/use them myself!)
- the option to have text only menus (so far, DVDforger excels in this but I'm sure AVStoDVD will catch up!)
- can the font be changed for all objects in one go?

I've not tested a full DVD yet so I'm not sure how the highlights work - preview doesn't appear to show them? Are the highlight colours changeable?

Also, if I design a template (say for a TV series) can I reuse it in the future (if its only saved to the current project)?

I'm sure I'll come up with more clever ideas given time (I like a good menu editor!)

Last edited by rendez2k; 16th July 2008 at 08:45.
Old 16th July 2008, 08:44   #308  |  Link
rendez2k

Also, just had that error again when I tried to edit the DVD title

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...VS_error-1.jpg
Old 16th July 2008, 09:59   #309  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Quote:
Ouch! This suggestion (assuming MrC accept to implement it in the future) have an impact on the DVD navigation --> it implies to change BatchMux. However, it seems very useful to me... Added to the todo list for BatchMux... THANKS FOR THE GOOD IDEA!
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 13:16   #310  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
- drag and drop interaction - so to move or delete something you could literally click and drag (maybe with some simple align tools?)
Not simple, VB6 is not very user-oriented, but I can try to manage it.

Quote:
I didn't really like the default layout when I added 6 titles. It put five thumbnails across the top and one underneath. I would have had to manually re-align them to get 3 at the top and 3 at the bottom
What do you think about adding an option to set default maximum Thumbs for each row in 'Settings'/'DVD Menu'?

Quote:
After Sir Didymus implementation in BatchMux, we can talk about it

Quote:
- the option to have text only menus (so far, DVDforger excels in this but I'm sure AVStoDVD will catch up!)
Do you really like text only menus? Mmmh, IMO the result is not worth the effort... let's wait if other users ask for them.

Quote:
- can the font be changed for all objects in one go?
Now the only way to do it is to go to template folder (i.e. "C:\Program Files\AVStoDVD\Menu\Templates\Blue Rain"), open file "Label.ini" and manually modify [Thumbnails] environs.

Quote:
I've not tested a full DVD yet so I'm not sure how the highlights work - preview doesn't appear to show them? Are the highlight colours changeable?

Also, if I design a template (say for a TV series) can I reuse it in the future (if its only saved to the current project)?
Preview Mode displays only a static image that shows output DVD Menu. I hope, when I will implement motion menu, to make Preview Mode more "real".

Quote:
The possibility to save current edited layout as a new template is surely a good improvement. Btw, you can already do that going to templates folder and manually modding the settings.
I suggest you to copy&paste one template-folder (i.e. "Blue Rain") and then mod the newly created folder.

Quote:

I cannot open the image. Please fully upload it or send it by email.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 16th July 2008 at 13:18.
Old 16th July 2008, 13:31   #311  |  Link
rendez2k

The maximum thumbs per row option would help a lot! As for text menus, sometimes I like to do a menu in PhotoShop and just add simple text links in the menu but maybe thats a personal thing! Can the frame for the thumbnail be chosen?

The other points are all fair comments!

I've tired again with the image here:
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4...serror1ak7.jpg
Old 17th July 2008, 13:16   #312  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:

Does the error appear when you click on "Edit Mode"? Elsewhere? Does it appear always or sometimes?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 17th July 2008 at 13:18.
Old 17th July 2008, 13:20   #313  |  Link
rendez2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
Does the error appear when you click on "Edit Mode"? Elsewhere? Does it appear always or sometimes?

Bye
Just sometimes. I did make it happen when I tried to edit some other titles and clicking on the background. Tested on 2 machines and both the same.
Old 19th July 2008, 00:56   #314  |  Link
wg

Would it be possible in a future release to incorporate the 'Lumgain' option available in HCenc, I believe this can help eliminate blockiness & pixelation in dark scenes. I tried to set this feature manually, but it goes back to the default 0 when HCenc is closed. I realise your busy implementing the menu options at the moment MrC, but it would be a nice feature to see on a future release, if it's possible to do.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by wg; 19th July 2008 at 00:59.
wg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 09:14   #315  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Hi MRC

Why doesnt AVS2DVd offer 2 pass Quenc conversions? Why just the 1 pass option?

Also default options are not being saved, i select 2 Hcenc pass and save it as default but upon loading i see Quen 1 pass option as been autoselected, wouldnt it be better that video title encoding options would be the default ones selected in the main menu?

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8...s2dvd01gs1.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9...s2dvd02xq3.jpg

Also why not autoselecting subtitles if they have the same name as the movie/clip?

great job with AVS2DVD, users can now submit skins and dvd menus for it. Nice.

tried it 2 times and had no problems apart from the ones i mentioned

Last edited by ricardo.santos; 19th July 2008 at 09:18.
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 09:07   #316  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg View Post
Would it be possible in a future release to incorporate the 'Lumgain' option available in HCenc, I believe this can help eliminate blockiness & pixelation in dark scenes. I tried to set this feature manually, but it goes back to the default 0 when HCenc is closed. I realise your busy implementing the menu options at the moment MrC, but it would be a nice feature to see on a future release, if it's possible to do.

Thanks in advance.
What about adding an option box (we shall call it "Advanced HCenc configuration") in 'Title Edit/Video' to open a form to customize some HCenc parameters, like AQ, Lumgain, Matrix, etc.?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 20th July 2008, 09:17   #317  |  Link
rendez2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo.santos View Post
Hi MRC
Also default options are not being saved, i select 2 Hcenc pass and save it as default but upon loading i see Quen 1 pass option as been autoselected, wouldnt it be better that video title encoding options would be the default ones selected in the main menu?

I think this is the same question I had - heres the answer:

Quote:
AVStoDVD selects the best profile looking at the bitrate. In 'Settings'/'Video' you can customize the (3) bitrate levels for the (3) video profile.

For more explanations, see the Help section (press F1) or read this post in AVStoDVD forum @Sourceforge
Old 20th July 2008, 09:24   #318  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Why doesnt AVS2DVd offer 2 pass Quenc conversions? Why just the 1 pass option?
Do you refer to 2pass VBR encoding with QuEnc? I strongly believe that HCenc is better in VBR encoding than QuEnc, so I do not think that a "QuEnc VBR 2-pass" could be a great improvement in AVStoDVD capabilities.

Quote:

That's really a neverending story. As I explained some posts ago, in 'Settings'/'Encoding' you DO NOT set default video encoding profile. You DO set bitrates levels for the 3 video profiles that AVStoDVD autoselect just based upon the bitrates levels.

Thus, if your goal is to freeze, for example, profile "HCenc VBR 2-pass" forever, you have to select it in 'Settings'/'Encoding' and then click on the "lock" button (it is present since 2.1.0 Alpha). You will see that 'higher bitrate level' will become 9000: now AVStoDVD will autoselect 'HCenc VBR 2-pass' when bitrates are between 2500 and 9000 (in other words, always).

If you will you can customize the 3 profile with bitrates levels you prefer.

Is it really so confusing? I think it is a smart way to let AVStoDVD do the "righter" choice depending from output bitrate...

Quote:
Also why not autoselecting subtitles if they have the same name as the movie/clip?
Good suggestion! Will put in my ToDo list.

Quote:
great job with AVS2DVD, users can now submit skins and dvd menus for it. Nice.
Thanks! I's a way to "invite" users to expand AVStoDVD's features...

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 20th July 2008, 09:26   #319  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Just sometimes. I did make it happen when I tried to edit some other titles and clicking on the background. Tested on 2 machines and both the same.
Found it. It was a bug in DVD Menu Editor items managing. A new Alpha is almost ready... stay tuned!

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 20th July 2008, 09:31   #320  |  Link
rendez2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
Is it really so confusing? I think it is a smart way to let AVStoDVD do the "righter" choice depending from output bitrate...
I actually think it is confusing for new users. Most people don't read manuals and I think people expect it to work like most other encoding software - as in you select the encoder and options and hit save and thats the default. I'd personally like to see a more traditional method of encoder selecting as I 99% of the time like to use HCenc 2 pass.

Anyway, looking forward to the new alpha