Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 15th February 2010, 04:08   #1  |  Link
six13

Procoder 3 Multiple CPU's

I was using Procoder 3.00.50.00 and it started encoding at a rate of 1.1X and the CPU's were at 100%. As the encode continued the CPU's went from 100% to between 50-70% and the speed droped to .38X I thought Procoder 3 was built to use the 2 CPU's in my PC but it seems to slow down as the encode progresses. My PC is a Athalon 64 X2 2.4 GHZ, 3GB DDR2 RAM and a source SATA and target SATA drives (drives aren't fragmented). When I look at Affinity in the task monitor it shows both CPU's checked. Is there a setting in Procoder 3 or in a ini file or somthing I can set so both CPU's run at 100% ?

thanks
six13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:53   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Source / Target?

~MiSfit
Old 2nd March 2010, 04:28   #3  |  Link
six13

not sure what you mean by source target. well I know what those are but not sure how to act after your answer to use both CPUs all the time with Procoder3. I am using the encoder so I can use mastering quality. I am not using the wizzard as the best setting is High, not mastering.
Old 11th March 2010, 03:54   #4  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

What is your source material?

I assume since this is in the MPEG-2 forum you are trying to encode MPEG-2. Can you provide more details on your settings?

~MiSfit
Old 11th March 2010, 23:50   #5  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by six13 View Post
I was using Procoder 3.00.50.00 and it started encoding at a rate of 1.1X and the CPU's were at 100%. As the encode continued the CPU's went from 100% to between 50-70% and the speed droped to .38X I thought Procoder 3 was built to use the 2 CPU's in my PC but it seems to slow down as the encode progresses. My PC is a Athalon 64 X2 2.4 GHZ, 3GB DDR2 RAM and a source SATA and target SATA drives (drives aren't fragmented). When I look at Affinity in the task monitor it shows both CPU's checked. Is there a setting in Procoder 3 or in a ini file or somthing I can set so both CPU's run at 100% ?

thanks
ProCoder is not very well optimised for MPEG2. It can encode many files at the same time using all available cores, but it won't encode one file to MPEG2 using all cores.

Andrew
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 02:18   #6  |  Link
six13

Source I am working wih now is a .avi file divX convering it to standard deff DVD files for burning. NTSC 29.97 mpg 2

often I will use a .dvr-ms file which is also I believe mpg 2 and converting it to DVD files for burning.
Old 14th March 2010, 12:26   #7  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Source I am working wih now is a .avi file divX convering it to standard deff DVD files for burning. NTSC 29.97 mpg 2

often I will use a .dvr-ms file which is also I believe mpg 2 and converting it to DVD files for burning.
Source doesn't matter- ProCoder won't use (in Mastering Quality) all cores for single file encode.
There is nothing wrong with your PC or workflow.
Old 15th March 2010, 01:05   #8  |  Link
six13

Thanks, I am using mastering quality so that explains why the PC isn't at 100% for the output. If i select High quality rather than mastering would I get 100% from both cores? I may try that setting. I always select NTSC DVD files then I would go to the advanced menu and select mastering quality, VBR 2 pass and adjust the bitrate till the size is 4.7 GB, then go to bed and set Procoder to turn off PC when done.
Old 15th March 2010, 20:43   #9  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Thanks, I am using mastering quality so that explains why the PC isn't at 100% for the output. If i select High quality rather than mastering would I get 100% from both cores? I may try that setting. I always select NTSC DVD files then I would go to the advanced menu and select mastering quality, VBR 2 pass and adjust the bitrate till the size is 4.7 GB, then go to bed and set Procoder to turn off PC when done.
No, it won't use 100%.
Only DVD Preview presets will use 100%, but quality will suffer.

Andrew
Old 15th March 2010, 23:52   #10  |  Link
six13

Andrew, not sure what you mean by DVD Preview presets

Please give further details.
Old 16th March 2010, 00:18   #11  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Andrew, not sure what you mean by DVD Preview presets

Please give further details.
There is a preset in target tab called DVD Preview (it's in the System Tab).
It will uses all all CPUs, but quality is limited.

Andrew
Old 31st March 2010, 05:31   #12  |  Link
six13

Thanks Andrew,

do you know of a simple way to make fine adjustments when setting the trim (in/out) points to a source video? When using the Procoder 3 wizard it is real easy to make adjustments with the slider right or left but with the full scale encoder it is real difficult to make fine adjustments as ~ 30fps you can use the up/down arrows for the frames or time but it takes fore ever to get a good start/end point. With the wizard it is easy but the filters or mastering quality isn't available with the wizard.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:48   #13  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Thanks Andrew,

do you know of a simple way to make fine adjustments when setting the trim (in/out) points to a source video? When using the Procoder 3 wizard it is real easy to make adjustments with the slider right or left but with the full scale encoder it is real difficult to make fine adjustments as ~ 30fps you can use the up/down arrows for the frames or time but it takes fore ever to get a good start/end point. With the wizard it is easy but the filters or mastering quality isn't available with the wizard.
No sure if there is other way.