Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th March 2006, 18:07   #1  |  Link
Dave D

Copy Protected Vhs Tapes

I’m hoping someone out there can help me out with this dilemma. Forgive me if I don’t give enough details or I sound like a rookie, but I’m kind of new at this and some of the terminology expressed in the forum is a bit over my head. What I’m trying to do is convert some of my Mom’s VHS movies to DVD’s for her.
The problem I’m running in to is as follows; While using ATI software to try and capture and save the movie to my hard drive the picture shown live (& recorded) is messed up, and it doesn’t matter whether I ‘m using the component or s-video inputs.
If I try using Nero Vision Express 3 to capture I get the picture & sound on the screen ok, but when I try to record, I get “Recording disabled. Video is copy-protected” error message & it won’t record.
I didn’t realize that some VHS movies were copy protected. I have been able to capture & record some of my Mom’s movies with no problem (I guess they weren’t copy protected).
Anyway, I don’t know if this info is necessary, but I have an ASUS P4P800 mother board, w/Pentium 4, 2.80 GHz processor, & I’m running Windows XP with an ATI All-In Wonder 9600 series video board & ATI Catalyst software. I also have SoundMAX audio (on the mother board).
So, if anyone out there can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Whether it’s a software suggestion, or some kind of work around to get around this problem. Feel welcome to email me directly if you’d like, at demersdl@metrocast.net. Thanks for your help, Dave D.
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 18:52   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

You either have to locate a capture program that ignores Macrovision (The protection used on most commercial VHS tapes), such as an OLD version of "ASUS Live!" - or purchase a "black box" (usually about $40US) that does the same thing...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2006, 19:27   #3  |  Link
Dave D

setarip_old, Thank you for the prompt response. Does the "Black Box" have a name? Or do you know where I can get one? Thanks again, Dave D.
Never mind setarip_old, I found a "Digital Video Stabilizer" at Clearpix Media. Thanks anyway, Dave D.

Last edited by Dave D; 18th March 2006 at 21:07.
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 04:47   #4  |  Link
olyteddy

My Hauppauge USB2 PVR seems to ignore MacroVision.
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 18:44   #5  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

My Winfast TV Tuner/capture cards both happily ignore the macrovision protection (one's PCI and the other's USB). I've never had a problem copying a VHS tape with either of them.
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote