Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd June 2016, 14:02   #1  |  Link
yume7777

mpv player optimal config options on Linux

Hi there,

Since dropping Windows for Linux I've been trying to figure out what settings should I include in my config to achieve the best image quality (or quality/performance tradeoff). Having read most of madVR thread in the past and all the mpv documentation I still have some questions as my knowledge on the topic is pretty limited. Ultimately the goal of this thread would be creating some sort of initial guide to all linux users who want to skip the research part and simply enjoy the movies in high quality. Ok, here are the questions:

1. Regarding upscalers, the common agreement stands that ewa_lanczos (jinc3) is one of the best (excluding nnedi), but what comes after if we focus on quality? Mpv defaults to spline36 (in opengl-hq preset), in madVR chart comparison made some time ago people recommended bicubic 75 (luma). Spline is not even present in madVR as far as I'm concerned. Is it ewa_lanczos > spline 36 > lanczos/bicubic 75?

2. What antiring value is optimal? I have it set to 1.0 but I've often seen people setting it to 0.9.

3. What is PBO? Does enabling it increase quality?

4. How come linear-scaling is recommended in opengl-hq preset when madshi explicitly said in madVR thread that upscaling in linear light is not desired and produces bad results?

5. What's the difference between normal and temporal dithering? Is there any consensus which one produces better results?

6. What is GLES? Is it important to set es=no?

7. What are FBO formats? In mpv manual it is written that some may produce better results then others, but the quality hierarchy is not specified.

I hope someone on this board can share his/her opinions and expertise, looking forward to reading your replies!

Last edited by yume7777; 23rd June 2016 at 16:28.
yume7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 14:58   #2  |  Link
lanzorg

You will have more chance on the official IRC channel or on 4chan.

However the mpv media player has a wonderful documentation and community wiki.
Everything is explained there.
lanzorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:29   #3  |  Link
yume7777

If the questions above were explained in the documentation I would not ask them here. You are free to link the specific community/wiki pages if you think they are. And quality opinions are often subjective therefore forum discussion is more appriopriate than getting random answers on IRC.

What's more, assumption that I did not check manual/wiki before posting here insults me (you clearly did not even read my first paragraph), since I did many many times, and half of the terms used here are specifically taken from the manual BECAUSE they are not explained at all, what they do, or how they exactly affect quality. Thanks for advice but I'd appreciate replies that bring something to the table though.

Last edited by yume7777; 23rd June 2016 at 15:55.
yume7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 19:58   #4  |  Link
RiCON

1, 2. Subjective. You should try all of them or using https://github.com/haasn/mpvhq-upscalers/ and decide for yourself if the defaults aren't good enough.
5. Subjective.
3, 4, 7. Ask haasn in IRC.
RiCON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
config, linux, mpv, player, quality