Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 17th April 2020, 13:04   #1  |  Link
jriker1

Thoughts on using aegisub with and without black bars

So I have been creating subtitles for years for forced and burning them into my movies. Now I have a new NVidia Player and can overlay them without transcoding for the most part and want to create ASS files. But my basic encoding of video, right or wrong, is to export my movies, use neatvideo to clean up some of the noise as I don't like the grain, and during so thru Premiere Pro, remove the black bars. So a 1920x1080 movie would become usually 1920x800.

When I open a set of subtitles in aegisub, should I be adjusting for placement based on the original movie or the adjusted one? My logic and maybe ASS files wont work for this situation, when on the TV it will still have black bars as the TV is 1080p. Now I also have 4k movies that I'm leaving 4k for when I get my 4k TV but have zero 4k devices in the house to see what the movies will look like there.

So what I do today is open the original movie with black bars, find a good placement and look for the subtitles, save the ASS files and embed them into the MKV.

Would that be the recommended approach or should I be finding placement based on the video without bars? Also will the placement and size be effected if it's being viewed 4k vs 1080p due to resizing?

Thanks.

JR
jriker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
subtitles