Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 19th June 2014, 11:12   #1  |  Link
Zagash

Fixing ac3 - huge volume difference between dialogs and action scenes

Hey there,

I was trying to search the web to get some proper info about how could I fix some ac3 movie files with the problem described in the title but couldn't find what I exactly want. I completely lost in results telling about particular hardware receiver units, playback settings of various player tools and huge amount of stuff I'm not interested in at all because I play these movies in whatever environment (standalone dvd players with television, various computer systems, etc) they have the same problem - so it's about the ac3 audio file and not about the playing environment.

So I got some xvid / mkv movies downloaded from the internet with the said problem: The dialog volumes are too quiet while the action scene parts are alot louder. I already extracted/demuxed the original audio files from them, some are 5.1 some only 2.0 stereo but the problem is the same. I tried to fix them with eac3to which is my favorite ac3 editing tool but no success (I'm not an expert in it tho)

I've read about Dialog Normalization people say that one is nothing to do with this issue and also about Dynamic Range Compression but I don't know any tool with the ability to change it.

So, to make it all the way clear could anyone help me please how on Earth can I fix those AC3 files to make dialogs louder while keep action scenes at their original volume?

Thank you much in advance!

Last edited by Zagash; 19th June 2014 at 12:48.
Old 19th June 2014, 11:48   #2  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagash View Post
... I completely lost in results telling about particular hardware receiver units, playback settings of various player tools and huge amount of stuff I'm not interested in at all...
Maybe you are not interested, but we must know your hardware/player to help you.

I don't have this problem with my hardware/players.

I have Yamaha receivers RX-V363/V373 for audio and can play correctly with mpc-hc in PC or standalone Xtreamer/WDTV Live
Old 19th June 2014, 12:04   #3  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagash View Post
So I got some xvid / mkv movies with the said problem
How did you encode those movies or where did you get them?
Old 19th June 2014, 12:45   #4  |  Link
Zagash

Ok, so I think I missed some info from the original post now I included:

I usually download AVI/MKV/etc movies from the Internet and many but not all of them has the well-known ac3 problem where the action scene sounds are alot louder than the dialogues. It's not about the player or program I use to play the movies it's the problem of the audio tracks, that's why I didn't share my DVD players but there you are if it matters: Orion DVD 5100, LG DP432H DVD, etc, etc. I usually play those movies in similar standalone players and even on my computer from time to time - with exactly the same problem.

So as I'm pretty sure it's about the AC3 track I just need a simple solution how to re-encode those AC3 audio files to make dialogues louder while retain the boom effects' volume? Or any solution similar to this.

Thank you.
Old 19th June 2014, 12:50   #5  |  Link

We don't allow discussion of downloaded movies per forum rule 6. Please read and follow our forum rules. Thank you.
Closed Thread

Tags
ac3, dynamic range compression, gain, too quiet