Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th January 2012, 01:21   #14081  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
i noticed that too on my recent conversions but i had "assume pal" enabled for movie only mode. I removed that checkbox and audio was in sync
So the "DVD audio out-of-sync" only happens on PAL conversion? Is it consistently off?
Old 29th January 2012, 01:45   #14082  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

it was off-sync from the start afaik. I'll do a new run later today to check if it was a fluke or if i can reproduce it.
i'll do it in the following modes.

full disc BD5 (pal enabled though afaik that shouldn't matter should it, as it will be a bd structure)
movie only bd-5 (pal enabled)
movie only bd-5 (pal disabled)

I'll use the same disc (pillars of the earth blu-ray tv series). I'll keep you posted.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 10:32   #14083  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
That's really weird. Can you post your INI file and give me an example of a disc that will do it?
Example of a disc: Unknown Identity Region 2
Same as Ch3vr0n I have PAL output enabled (BD-RB does a nice pitch correction ).
I don't remember if desync happens in every case. IIRC some came out in perfect sync.
Here my ini:
Code:
[Options]
ENABLE_TEST=1
BLANK_THRESHOLD=3600
#FIXED_CRF=20
QUICK_CRF=27
#TWEAK_PASS_ONE=--ipratio 1.4 --me umh --b-adapt 2 --subme 8
#TWEAK_PASS_TWO=--ipratio 1.4 --me umh --b-adapt 2 --subme 8
TWEAK_PASS_ONE=--ipratio 1.4 --me umh --b-adapt 2 --subme 8 --tune film
TWEAK_PASS_TWO=--ipratio 1.4 --me umh --b-adapt 2 --subme 8 --tune film
#TWEAK_PASS_ONE=--ipratio 1.4 --me umh --b-adapt 2 --subme 8 --tune film --ref 6
#TWEAK_PASS_TWO=--ipratio 1.4 --me umh --b-adapt 2 --subme 8 --tune film --ref 6
#TWEAK_PASS_ONE=--ipratio 1.4 --me umh --b-adapt 2 --subme 8 --tune animation
#TWEAK_PASS_TWO=--ipratio 1.4 --me umh --b-adapt 2 --subme 8 --tune animation
B_PYRAMID=1
SAMPLE_GROUP=2400
#SAMPLE_SIZE=48
#DEINTERLACER_TYPE=4
ALTERNATE_PAL=1
WEIGHTP=2
DEFAULT_LANG=deu
EXTENDED_GOP=1
KEEP_MBTREE=1
QUICK_USE_QUALITY=1
SHOW_ENCODER=1
FORCE_ENCODE=0
SECONDARY_USE_QUALITY=1
HC_PROFILE=BEST
RESIZE=0
MODE=2
AUDIO_AMPLIFY=1.0
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=deu;eng;ger;
SUBS_TO_KEEP=deu;ger;
SD_CONVERT=0
COLOR_BOOST=0
RESIZE_1080=1
DTS_REENCODE=1
AC3_REENCODE=0
AC3_640=0
KEEP_HD_AUDIO=0
AVCHD=0
REMOVE_WORKFILES=0
AUDIO_TRACK_LIMIT=1
SUBTITLE_TRACK_LIMIT=0
CUSTOM_TARGET_SIZE=4483
VERBOSE_STATUS=1
ONEPASS_ENCODING=1
TARGET_SIZE=8032
QUICK_EXTRAS=1
PRIORITY_CLASS=1
ENCODE_QUALITY=2
AUTO_QUALITY=0
DEINTERLACE=0
AC3_192=0
FULL_AVCHD=0
REMOVE_OUTPUT=0
OPEN_GOP=1
USE_FILTERS=1
MOVIE_ONLY_LOOP=0
BDMV_CERT_ONLY=0
USE_LAVF=0
IVTC_PULLDOWN=0
ASSUME_DVD_PAL=1
VERSION=0.39.0.7
MOVIEONLY_TYPE=0
ALTCRF=24
ALTMETHOD=0
SD_TO_1080=0
CONVERT_WIDE=0
ALT_TARGET=1000
AUTO_BLANK=0
UNMASK_CHAPTER=0
ENABLE_BLANKING=1
COMPLETION_BEEP=0
ALTAUTOCROP=0
AVSFilter01=f:r:Sharpen(0.15)
[Paths]
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 18:26   #14084  |  Link
colinhunt

I wonder what the Japanese authoring shops do differently. I bumped into another Japanese BD (Goemon) which gives BD-RB a headache. Trying to do a simple movie-only backup resulted in audio playing a second late from the start. The original looks like standard 1080p23.976 but it does have a PiP video commentary track on it.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 19:36   #14085  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
So the "DVD audio out-of-sync" only happens on PAL conversion? Is it consistently off?
Looks like yes. I just did 2 tests with another movie (Rise of the Planet of the Apes):
Sync is off when "Assume PAL for DVD output" is enabled
Sync is perfect when "Assume PAL for DVD output" is disabled.
Not sure now if this has been the case with previous releases of BD-RB. I am pretty sure having done similar backups before with PAL output enabled, without sync issues.
The sync issue happens when making a DVD backup from a previous BD5 backup (which had the original DTS converted to AC3 448 in my cases).
Old 29th January 2012, 21:44   #14086  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Looks like yes. I just did 2 tests with another movie (Rise of the Planet of the Apes):
Not sure now if this has been the case with previous releases of BD-RB. I am pretty sure having done similar backups before with PAL output enabled, without sync issues.
The sync issue happens when making a DVD backup from a previous BD5 backup (which had the original DTS converted to AC3 448 in my cases).
Do you have ALTERNATE_PAL=1 set or are you using the standard setting? Also -- what is the framerate of the source?
Old 29th January 2012, 22:09   #14087  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I just tried it with two different discs using both types of conversion (ALTERNATE_PAL=0/1). It came out perfectly with all combinations.

I have a DVD-9 backup of "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" laying around somewhere -- I'll find it and run against that for testing...

Last edited by jdobbs; 29th January 2012 at 22:18.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 00:07   #14088  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Do you have ALTERNATE_PAL=1 set or are you using the standard setting? Also -- what is the framerate of the source?
I have ALTERNATE_PAL=1 set.
The framerate of the source (=BD5 movie-only backup) is 23.976 fps.
Please note that the problem exists only when converting a BD5 backup to DVD. When I convert from the original Blu-ray disc to DVD the sync is ok.
Old 30th January 2012, 00:17   #14089  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I just tried it with two different discs using both types of conversion (ALTERNATE_PAL=0/1). It came out perfectly with all combinations.

I have a DVD-9 backup of "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" laying around somewhere -- I'll find it and run against that for testing...
This comes probably close to my case if your BD-9 backup is with AC3 audio (converted from the DTS original).
Anyway, as I mentioned I can always make a DVD from the original BD source rather than from its BD5 backup. So not too much to worry about.
Old 30th January 2012, 00:18   #14090  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I have ALTERNATE_PAL=1 set.
The framerate of the source (=BD5 movie-only backup) is 23.976 fps.
Please note that the problem exists only when converting a BD5 backup to DVD. When I convert from the original Blu-ray disc to DVD the sync is ok.
From a BD Rebuilder point-of-view there is no difference between a BD-5 and a BD-9.

I just finished "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" from the BD-9 backup win ALTERNATE_PAL=1. It also was converted to AC3 5.1 from the original. It has perfect sync throughout. It's possible you may have a CODEC issue... but don't know for sure. I'd suggest you uninstall/reinstall BD-RB, HAALI, AVISYNTH, and FFDSHOW.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th January 2012 at 00:21.
Old 30th January 2012, 00:32   #14091  |  Link
jdobbs

BD Rebuilder v0.40.01 (beta)

I've updated the first post of this thread with a new version of BD-RB (v0.40.01). Changes for this release:
Code:
- Corrected an issue related to the program map
  and remuxing of DTS Express and IGS streams.
- Modified ALTERNATE routines so that MKV and MP4
  (non-iPOD/iPAD) formats will keep HD audio when 
  "Keep HD Audio" and "ALTERNATE/Intact Audio" are 
  both enabled.
- Modified ALTERNATE AVS creation to prevent
  unnecessary inclusion of resize commands. This
  can speed up some encodes.
- Added routines to include alternate angles in 
  the "Other Movie-Only Playlist" selection dialog.
- Reverted the recommended HAALI media splitter
  to v1.9.42.1.  Some systems seem to have issues
  with the later version(s).
- Added a new (experimental) multi-processing mode
  for extremely fast computers.  Divides encoding 
  tasks among multiple instances of X264.  Most 
  useful on systems that don't use 100% of the 
  available processor time.  See the link in 
  HIDDENOPTS.TXT for more details.
- Updated the included version of MKVMERGE.EXE to 
  a newer release (v5.2.1.0).
- Updated the included version of X264.EXE to the
  latest release (r2146).
- Updated the included version of X264-64.EXE to 
  the latest release (r2146).
- Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.
If (unlike me) you are one of the lucky people who own a "super-fast" computer and you decide to try the new multi-process mode. Please let me know how it works out for you...

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th January 2012 at 01:10.
Old 30th January 2012, 03:56   #14092  |  Link
soneca

Thank you! What would be considered a "super-fast" computer?
I do a test on automatic "1".

Last edited by soneca; 30th January 2012 at 04:11.
soneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 04:12   #14093  |  Link
omegaman7

I set mine for the same. I'll likely run an encode tonight, then run the same encode again during the day tomorrow. I imagine a super fast computer would be a 6 or more core computer(or intel extreme). I imagine Jdobbs has at least a 4 core. Which I consider fast. However not SUPER fast Can't wait for a 10 core. I'm waiting to upgrade til those come out.
omegaman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 04:45   #14094  |  Link
jdobbs

I'm thinking specifically of the folks who have posted here that their computer doesn't run at 100% processor utilization during encoding. As I mentioned in the changelog and HIDDENOPTS.TXT, a little more detail on the multiprocess setting is available at this link.

I'm running a Phenom II X4 945 @3.5Ghz -- but my system has always run at 100% during pass 2 so I get nothing there -- and although pass 1 typically doesn't use it all, it also doesn't leave a lot on the table. So I pick up a little on pass 1, nothing to write home about... but I'm thinking others will see much better improvements. More importantly I'm trying to step out in front of all the really fast processors that are coming down the road.

This multiprocessing feature was a lot of work, especially in trying to create frame-accurate segments in an environment that doesn't seem to care about frame accuracy. I had to do a lot of head banging -- so I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th January 2012 at 04:59.
Old 30th January 2012, 05:20   #14095  |  Link
SqUaDrApHoNiC
squadraphonic PSN

Quote:
I'm thinking specifically of the folks who have posted here that their computer doesn't run at 100% processor utilization during encoding. As I mentioned in the changelog and HIDDENOPTS.TXT, a little more detail on the multiprocess setting is available at this link.

I'm running a Phenom II X4 945 @3.5Ghz -- but my system has always run at 100% during pass 2 so I get nothing there -- and although pass 1 typically doesn't use it all, it also doesn't leave a lot on the table. So I pick up a little on pass 1, nothing to write home about... but I'm thinking others will see much better improvements. More importantly I'm trying to step out in front of all the really fast processors that are coming down the road.

This multiprocessing feature was a lot of work, especially in trying to create frame-accurate segments in an environment that doesn't seem to care about frame accuracy. I had to do a lot of head banging -- so I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint.
Thanks again for your hard work, excellent feature/implementation. Best quality app out there.
SqUaDrApHoNiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 07:17   #14096  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs
Quote:
- Corrected an issue related to the program map
and remuxing of DTS Express and IGS streams.
Does this mean what I think it means? - Is DTS Express now properly processed even for the SONY 360?Should it work on "BD"5s and "BD"9s, as well as BD-R 25s?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 09:17   #14097  |  Link
omegaman7

I'm already impressed Jdobbs I'm seeing much more processor usage already, and i've barely began the test. Even if it isn't what I expect, I'm already impressed. You're definitely getting some support in the next 7 - 14 days. Can't wait to see the difference it's made.
Old 30th January 2012, 13:32   #14098  |  Link
colinhunt

Dual Xeon with 12GB of RAM here. I set multiprocess to 3 right away to see what happens. During pass 1 CPU usage was usually somewhere around 20-30%. With multiprocess=3 it's now hovering at 75-80% and BD-RB reports "FPS: 381". Now, before anyone soils their pants I have to admit the file it's processing is only 480i

Pass 2 is now commencing. CPU usage jumped to 100% and BD-RB reports 117 fps. This is still on a 480i file which is being deinterlaced and re-encoded by BD-RB. Memory usage is only 2,10 GB. CPU use for the three instances of x264 is 45%, 33% and 22%. The instance with the highest CPU % is using 350MB of memory, and the other two use 320MB each. After ~75% of file had been processed one instance of x264 finished its work and quit. With only two x264 instances running FPS jumped to 133.

This suggests it might be a good idea to run more x264 instances during pass 1 than pass 2. For example, 4 instances during pass 1 for maximum CPU usage, then only 2 instances during pass 2.

Main movie file processing begins in a few minutes. I'll update this post then.

BD-RB splitting main movie file (35GB) for 3-way encoding. Looks like a 10-minute job, approximately. (Used the waiting time wisely by making a donation.) The splitting process made me think about using an SSD drive to see if it affects performance during splitting phase.

OK, here we go.
Source: AVC 1080p/23.976
BD-RB set to Highest quality with "--tune film" tweaks in the .INI file.

PASS 1
x264 instances
#1: 20-30% CPU
#2: 19-25% CPU
#3: 18-23% CPU

Total CPU use 59-73%
Total RAM use 4,37 GB
Speed: 2,61x
FPS: ~63

RAM use has increased during the first few minutes from 800MB per x264 instance to 1,3GB per instance. Total RAM use has risen from below 4GB to 4,8GB.

update: Pass 1 is now 56% complete. CPU usage hovers around 65-70% and each instance eats up 1,4GB of RAM. Total RAM use is now 5,15GB.

PASS 2
at 10% completion
x264 instances
#1 at 50% CPU
#2 at 15-20% CPU
#3 at 30-40% CPU

Instances #2 and #3 use 1,1 GB of RAM each, #1 uses 0,1GB more.
Total CPU use 100% (Explorer goes like molasses)
Total RAM use 4,4 GB

Speed: 0,71x
FPS: ~17 (clear improvement over the usual 11-12 fps)

at 84% completion:
2 instances of x264 running
#1: CPU 55%, 1,2GB of RAM
#2: CPU 45%, 1,2GB of RAM

Speed: 0,77x
FPS: ~18,5
Total RAM use 3,62GB

Last edited by colinhunt; 30th January 2012 at 19:34.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 14:11   #14099  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

I'm game for trying out the new multiprocessing on my quadcore. I'm curious if there will be a time difference between LAVF & multiprocessing. I'll let ya know. Oh and sry i havent had time to do that audio sync issue. That will be done later this week. Oh and ya might wanna change the year in the startup image Still lists 2011

** edit: looking nice so far **

Source: Friends with benefits on 157.415 frames @ 18.425kbs @ MPEG-4 (AVC)
Mode: movie & menus
quality: 1 pass auto mode

Pass 1
3 instances of x264.exe
#1: 30-40%
#2: 26-35%
#3: 24-35%

All 3 using atm approx 650 - 670MB ram each

Total CPU use: 100%
Total ram use: 4.40-4.81GB atm 12% into the
Speed: 1.44x
FPS: ~34

** edit 25% into the build, ram use increased to approx 800MB each and a total of 5.41 **

Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 30th January 2012 at 15:40.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 15:53   #14100  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt
BD-RB splitting main movie file (35GB) for 3-way encoding. Looks like a 10-minute job, approximately.
The split has to run through the entire while source extracting the video stream(s) -- so it will take approximately the same amout of time as TSMUXER. It varies from 4 minutes to up around 11. So in order to come out ahead you have to save at least that much. On my system I find that I gain a little more than that on pass 1 -- and since it has already been split there is no cost for pass 2.

Unfortunately I can't change the number of X264 instances between passes 1 and 2 -- because X264 needs them to be identical. It would also require another split -- which would also add time.