Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th November 2013, 23:29   #20761  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@djfred93, without a crash report there's nothing I can do. Either try to send it by pressing on "send bug report" button. Or if that doesn't work, simply exit the crash window and then you should find the crash report file on your desktop. If that also fails, press Ctrl+C while the crash window is open, then the crash report should be in the clipboard. And then please upload the crash report somewhere. If you post it here, please put it in a "[ code ]" block.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 23:31   #20762  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Humm, even when set to "low" film grain seems to suffer quite a bit? I'm using the remastered bluray of TESB and it's DNR'ed grain looks kinda nasty now, this said I've never been too convinced by deposterizing algorithms and I'll have to try it on hopeless low bitrate WMV's.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 23:37   #20763  |  Link
djfred93

I send it to you by PM. It's weird but in debug mode Madvr doesn't crash.
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 23:41   #20764  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Did madshi even include debug mode versions of the debanding previews or are you using the 0.86.11 debug files?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 23:52   #20765  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Humm, even when set to "low" film grain seems to suffer quite a bit? I'm using the remastered bluray of TESB and it's DNR'ed grain looks kinda nasty now
Some before/after screenshots would be nice. Would like to see that suffering grain, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfred93 View Post
I send it to you by PM.
Thanks, another bug, embarassing. Hopefully everything's finally working now with this build?

http://madshi.net/madVRdeband13.rar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Did madshi even include debug mode versions of the debanding previews or are you using the 0.86.11 debug files?
No.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 00:03   #20766  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Please check if you're happy with the presets
I'm happy From quick look it has really good balance. "low" change picture only a little, medium clear up image really nice and high get rid of all banding in my worst samples. Really impressive. Thanks for letting us to change presets and whole debanding thing.

I think current default values are ok, you can't make everyone happy.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 00:10   #20767  |  Link
detmek

Works fine for me but, just to check - is it normal that High preset gives me lower rendering time compared to Low and Medium preset?
detmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 00:50   #20768  |  Link
djfred93

It works. Thanks.
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 01:16   #20769  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Some before/after screenshots would be nice. Would like to see that suffering grain, thanks.
Humm, it doesn't look nearly as striking on screenshots but I guess the starwars trilogy on bluray might make for a nice real-world test as it was DNR'ed in a pretty dramatic way and its grain has become very jumpy and constantly changing shape, making it very hard to compress/process I guess. Some patterns could easily be misinterpreted as posterizing I guess.

This said, yes, it looks great on very blocky low bitrate SD videos...I can see why JanWillem likes to make denoising+debanding combo scripts.

Last edited by leeperry; 9th November 2013 at 02:53.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 01:55   #20770  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

madVRdeband10 crashes MPC-HC on close (didn't notice before), madVRdeband11-13 is crashing MPC-HC instantly after playback start.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16282309/madVR/madVR_dump_debug_build.7z (10 and 13)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16282309/madVR/madVR13_dump_release_build.7z (only 13)

You will get what's wrong

Before 10th version everything was working fine.

Last edited by kasper93; 9th November 2013 at 04:02.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 02:34   #20771  |  Link
paincrusader

Quote:

Might be that these are videos marked as "full range". Press "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+i" to check which source levels madVR has detected. You can press the same key combination multiple times to switch to different source levels. If you find one which works well, you can also "save" it by pressing "F2". However, if you do, madVR will no longer automatically detect full range videos and treat them differently. The other renderers are too stupid to detect full range videos. However, some videos are incorrectly marked as full range, although they're not.

Agreed.
That was spot on ! Thank you so very much.

It was autodetecting PC source levels; kept pressing "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+i" until it read "source levels: TV" and voila, everything is right again with the world I was dreading the thought of having to use vlc or the sort for viewing those troublemakers, or even changing the renderer in mpc to the default one.
paincrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 03:55   #20772  |  Link
andybkma

Greets, how does this new mVR debanding feature effect those vids that are being realtime postprocessed with avisynth script sharpeners such as LimitedSharpenFaster (LSFMod) or FineSharp? Does the mVR debanding (low,med) smooth out at the end what has already been sharpened by the avisynth script? If yes, this would seem counterproductive to the script sharpener unless the mVR debanding would be able to keep what has been sharpened...

Last edited by andybkma; 9th November 2013 at 04:06.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 05:12   #20773  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Greets, how does this new mVR debanding feature effect those vids that are being realtime postprocessed with avisynth script sharpeners such as LimitedSharpenFaster (LSFMod) or FineSharp? Does the mVR debanding (low,med) smooth out at the end what has already been sharpened by the avisynth script? If yes, this would seem counterproductive to the script sharpener unless the mVR debanding would be able to keep what has been sharpened...
Yes, Avisynth sends the frames to be rendered by MadVR and the debanding is done upon display. It's not counterproductive at all, it works well just on the banded areas of content and the benefit is it's done by the GPU and in high quality.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 05:15   #20774  |  Link
dansrfe

So switching to exclusive mode just abruptly stopped working for me and I've tried clearing all the settings, reinstalling madVR and MPC-HC but to no avail. Really no idea what's going on.

madshi, could you possibly take a look at the log and point me in the right direction, please? Thanks!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4gcfy2
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 07:19   #20775  |  Link
ryrynz

Seeing "Resetting Direct3d Device Failed 8876086c" messages using Latest MPC-BE SVN.
The whole screen goes black then after a couple of seconds I see the BE window with the above message or sometimes the video window is white.
Ive also seen the occasional green screen for a few seconds upon playback.
No issues with previous builds and I also can't reproduce any of these with the debug build.
I did however manage to get BE to crash, I took screenshots of all the tabs, not sure if any of this will help but hey. Definitely something up with this build.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3050zl

Last edited by ryrynz; 9th November 2013 at 07:27.
Old 9th November 2013, 07:36   #20776  |  Link
turbojet

Thanks for the new version, time to remove deband=high from files. I'm mostly happy about the medium preset but how to change avgDif to 2.0?

Is don't analyze gradient angles the option that disables angleboost? It makes a difference in gpu usage but a lot less then old angleBoost did. If not how do you disable angleBoost? Already tried changing angleBoost[1] to 0 but it reverted to 16.

Is there a way for 2.0/4.0/2.0/off to be used every time a file is opened?

Also a lot of stuff in registry that doesn't seem to fit any longer.

Last edited by turbojet; 9th November 2013 at 07:45.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 08:25   #20777  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
how to change avgDif to 2.0?
Custom settings or individual changes haven't been implemented in this build. *EDIT* NVM, obviously wrong.

Last edited by ryrynz; 9th November 2013 at 09:02.
Old 9th November 2013, 08:43   #20778  |  Link
romulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Custom settings or individual changes haven't been implemented in this build.
I may be misunderstanding, but custom settings seems to work fine here:

Quote:
(5) You can now custom configure all 3 presets (!!). In order to do this, you can define a "debanding custom settings" keyboard shortcut in the settings GUI. When pressed you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to modify the various debanding parameters. The custom settings are stored in the registry (HKCU). You can switch between custom and default parameters by pressing the keyboard shortcut multiple times. This allows you to quickly compare your own settings to the default settings.
That's from madshi's release post for build 10. avgdif at least indicates it is being incremented when I try it.
romulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 08:56   #20779  |  Link
turbojet

Think I figured it out, at HKCU\Software\madshi\madVR
[0]: Low preset
[1]: Medium
[2]: High

To customize edit them as Decimal not the default hexdecimal and set customOn to 1

It should show the default value and then +/- next to it. For example avgDif of Medium to 2.0 shows avgDif 1.8 +0.2 when using the deband hotkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmek View Post
Works fine for me but, just to check - is it normal that High preset gives me lower rendering time compared to Low and Medium preset?
Yes, high disables lightBoost while low and medium enable it.

Last edited by turbojet; 9th November 2013 at 09:01.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 08:59   #20780  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulous View Post
I may be misunderstanding, but custom settings seems to work fine here:
Yeah went back and read it, was looking for an obvious custom setting on the deband page, figured that cos Turbojet couldn't do the saving of custom presets that it was something to be added later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Is there a way for 2.0/4.0/2.0/off to be used every time a file is opened?
I have no problems setting a custom preset and saving it.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling