Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 16th September 2009, 15:03   #5761  |  Link
teddykgb1570

Windows 7 Problem

Hey all,

I just recently installed 7 ultimate on my PC. I've used Ripbot a lot with Vista and it's worked great. I started up my first blu-ray encode on 7 and when it gets all the way complete it just starts over? This happens continuously. Anyone know why this is happening and how I can stop it?

Thanks!
teddykgb1570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 15:07   #5762  |  Link
Jeff Flowerday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Always check audio synchronization in preview. if you see any problems adjust delay manually in ripbot264.
Seems a little crazy that I have to manually adjust the audio delay to a value I don't know on 1000+ conversions, especially when they are all perfectly in sync in the my source mkv files. I really don't want to get the source discs out and rerip them.

Can I send you a small sample?
Jeff Flowerday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 15:09   #5763  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Can I send you a small sample?
yes you can. Use mediafire.com and dgsplit. 50 mb is ok.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 15:57   #5764  |  Link
kikker

Quote:
DTS core is automatically extracted only if you don't have Arcsoft DTS-HD decoder installed.
That's great, which is why I *don't* have it installed.

Quote:
TrueHD is decoded by libav so you don't need extra decoder to get full hd audio.
Why isn't there an option to simply extract the AC3 core from a TrueHD? I'm sure you would make many happy here. There is just something so comforting to know you are taking the original AC3 and NOT an encoded aften one. Many of us SPDIF to their sound system, and you cannot send FLAC over SPDIF - only AC3/DTS.
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 16:15   #5765  |  Link
Jeff Flowerday

Quote:
yes you can. Use mediafire.com and dgsplit. 50 mb is ok.
http://www.mediafire.com/?tw1fjxwlniu

There's a bit of narative at the beginning of the clip but towards the end there is some dialog.

Last edited by Jeff Flowerday; 16th September 2009 at 16:25.
Old 16th September 2009, 16:49   #5766  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
That's great, which is why I *don't* have it installed.
Quote:
Why isn't there an option to simply extract the AC3 core from a TrueHD? I'm sure you would make many happy here. There is just something so comforting to know you are taking the original AC3 and NOT an encoded aften one. Many of us SPDIF to their sound system, and you cannot send FLAC over SPDIF - only AC3/DTS.
I will repeat again. AC3 640 kbps = DTS 1,5 Mbps in terms of quality! So it is better to decompress DTS-MA with ArcSoft decoder and then encode to AC3. If you get the same quality why waste space for stupid DTS??????
Old 16th September 2009, 17:04   #5767  |  Link
kikker

OK, thanks for the reply, Atak. It would be great to have a little "core" box next to the "Flac" box, which would allow for the "-core" parameter of eac3to for TrueHD tracks. Would this be easy enough to do?
Old 16th September 2009, 17:39   #5768  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tw1fjxwlniu

There's a bit of narative at the beginning of the clip but towards the end there is some dialog.
Add this to your script
video=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\Mama\Desktop\sample-remux.mkv",audio=false,fps=23.976).ConvertToYV12()
Old 16th September 2009, 19:22   #5769  |  Link
Jeff Flowerday

Quote:
Add this to your script
video=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\Mama\Desktop\sample-remux.mkv",audio=false,fps=23.976).ConvertToYV12()
Thank You! That was it!
Old 17th September 2009, 17:26   #5770  |  Link
PSPNut

Changing the script for each job

Is there a way to semi-permanently change the script for iPhone video conversion? For example, the default:

Quote:
video=Spline36Resize(video,480,270).Sharpen(0.2).AddBorders(0,0,0,2)
I understand that AddBorders(0,0,0,2) is mostly for PSP since the first and last line is not displayed. This issue does not plague the iPhone and also, since the video is being downsampled, I wanted to opt for the simpler and faster BilinerResize:

Quote:
video=BilinearResize(video,480,272).Sharpen(0.2)
This can be changed for each file being encoded, but it gets rather tedious if there is a large number of files being transcoded. I was wondering if there is an easier way to do this?

Also, I am curious to know if there is a way to convert an entire directory (full of DivX DVRs ) with the same settings instead of a file at a time?
PSPNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 03:52   #5771  |  Link
stryker412

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikker View Post
Atak,

If I have a TV series BD title with multiple episodes, each with its own playlist and list of streams, it would be just lovely if the workflow could be streamlined a bit. You see, when I try to queue up each episode one by one, Ripbot needs to re-analyze the entire BD for the playlist/stream structure for each of the episodes I add. It seems as if that should only have to take place before for the first job. In other words, if there are 4 episodes on the disc, one must wait for both the disc analysis and the demuxing for each of the 4 episodes added to the queue. Everything else is just great!
Yes is there anyway to delay demuxing on TV shows? I'm currently ripping my Band of Brothers BD, and each disc has 2 episodes. You have to wait 15 minutes each episode just to set your options then queue. It would be nice to delay demuxing until right before you begin the process.
stryker412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 17:44   #5772  |  Link
wakebrder

Quote:
OK, thanks for the reply, Atak. It would be great to have a little "core" box next to the "Flac" box, which would allow for the "-core" parameter of eac3to for TrueHD tracks. Would this be easy enough to do?
Don't check the FLAC box, and you will have the option to "copy stream". That will give you core AC3 or DTS depending on what the disc is encoded with (True-HD or DTS-MA)

So, the option is already there.
wakebrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 18:35   #5773  |  Link
kikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrder View Post
Don't check the FLAC box, and you will have the option to "copy stream". That will give you core AC3 or DTS depending on what the disc is encoded with (True-HD or DTS-MA)

So, the option is already there.
No, it doesn't work that way. TrueHD is always uncompressed to WAV. There is no way to extract the core AC3 without another app. Which version are you running?
Old 18th September 2009, 20:55   #5774  |  Link
Nkotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow4mula View Post
nope it works pretty good actually. i've done two blurays with dts-ma hd and a few old hd-dvd discs and one bluray with dolby truehd and they all play fine on my ps3 without issue no audio sync issues at all. standalone players should play them fine as well i would think, but i dunno i don't see the point of a standalone blu-ray player over a ps3.

1. i just use clownbd to rip out the dts-ma hd/dolby true hd audio track from the source

2. input the bluray rip as usual into ripbot and select no audio.

3. i subtract the size of unaltered audio track from 23830mb (bd-r size preset in ripbot) and select two pass and input this value into ripbot so i don't have to calculate it myself. i would factor in ~200mb additional to the size of the audio track to make sure you don't transcode too large of a video track. i did a couple movies where the resulting video track was a little too large after muxing with the unaltered audio track and i had to cut some of the credits with tsmuxer or re-encode the video track again.

3. mux the video track from ripbot and the unaltered hd audio stream with tsmuxer to bluray and burn to bd-r.

bd-r discs are coming down in price, i've seen name brand stuff dip below $3.00 in quantities of 15, so for a movie i want a good backup of i am willing to spend a few bucks (plus some in electricity lol with these twp core i7 setups i have).

atak could add this functionality pretty easy i would think so it is as simple as creating a dvd-dl backup using ac3 5.1/dts 5.1 audio. it would be cool to see that happen since there is no reason to convert to lpcm for all hd audio sources. it just wastes space and possibly could lose quality. it also makes incompatible lpcm tracks that tsmuxer errors out on with sync issues. that is why it just dawned upon me to use the unaltered hd audio instead of converting it to lpcm. the only benefit i see to lpcm is it might be more widely compatible to some standalone bluray players? i know ripbot will always take 24 bit hd audio and downsample it to 16 bit to save space, but why even do that? also if you just mux the original hd audio track you don't have to screw with installing any kind of dts-ma hd decoder like arcsoft because you aren't converting to lpcm.

i would love to see ripbot just load a bluray playlist with the option to truly stream copy the dts-ma hd/true hd tracks and just transcode the video without using multiple tools. all clownbd is comprised of is eac3to and tsmuxer (i believe). this will truly be the optimal method as bd-r media continues to fall in price. even every 7.1 dts-ma hd track i have seen is only 5-7gb, so that still leaves a great deal of room for the transcoded video.

the only drawback with manually muxing with this method is you lose the chapter points, so the default is 5min intervals after this, but i don't really care about that at all...i think the predefined chapter points are pretty useless and would rather have fixed intervals. i'm sure there is probably a way to keep original chapter points with tsmuxer, but i could care less.

and just imho i still liked hd-dvd better as a format over blu-ray. honestly you don't need near 50gb of space for a damn movie. 30gb is more than sufficient with a good 1080p encode and writeable hd-dvd dl would probably been cheaper than bd-r.

i just did the king kong hd-dvd -> bd-r with this method and to me it is one of the best looking movies ever to be released on either format. it fits comfortably on a 30gb hd-dvd with hd audio and it is over 3 hours of runtime. i still wish hd-dvd was around so we might have gotten cheaper writeable 30gb discs. oh well.

here is my vote for true stream copying of hd audio tracks with ripbot

with a blu-ray to bd-r backup keeping the original audio track intact my original blu-ray could burn in a fire and i wouldn't feel like i really lost anything for $3 bucks and some time that is definately worth it to me.

again thanks atak for writing such a bomb gui/application. we all appreciate it!
I tried this way finally and have a couple of questions.
First, when you are extracting audio only through Clown_BD, what output format do you choose? I used TSmuxer's demux instead of Clown_BD to rip the audio off.

And secondly, after I used Ripbot for video only and then tried to mux it with the HD audio in TSmuxer, it worked but in the result the program always seems to show "B-pyramid level detected, shift DST 2 frames" (or something like that).
Does anybody know what this b-pyramid is and why it happens and if it is bad or not?
Nkotok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 21:44   #5775  |  Link
RainyDog

I'm trying to convert a 1920x1080@29.97fps transport stream to 720p@23.976fps but can't seem to get the Ripbot settings down. Media Info reports the former scan type as progressive so no deinterlacing is needed. But if I set Ripbot to decimate > 23.976fps only, the resulting video judders badly and the A/V is out of sync.

However, I've found that encoding without decimating, then remuxing the resulting .mkv in MKVMerge and flagging the video as 23.976fps, it plays back smoothly. Is it possible the original .ts is actually 23.976fps but is flagged incorrectly as 29.97fps? It's a HDTV cap of a film.
RainyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 00:20   #5776  |  Link
pacaveli211

anyone have a guide for setting options in the ini file?
I've already adjusted most of them as desired but I'd like to add:
LockSize=1
Size=7610
I already have
DefaultProfile=[HIGH 4.0] HD . BluRay . Consoles
DefaultEncodingMode=2-pass
DefaultModeValue=15000 (random number, if the above can be completed it will auto adjust the bitrate)

is there a way to add the locked file size?
pacaveli211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 10:32   #5777  |  Link
dirk362

In the change log for 1.14.3 it was stated "Fixed: too big undersize for mkv", and I've had great success with 1.14.3 with almost exact or marginally under. There is no mention of any changes in 1.14.4 around this area, but 3 encodes out of 3 are larger than 1.14.3 using exact same settings (fixed size of x, 2-pass, same profile etc). The only difference would be the version of x264 (I was previously using x264 0.72.1240 35627b6 with 1.14.3) and 1.14.4 now uses x264 0.75.1251M e553a4c.
Would that explain it, or is there anything else people can think of ? (of course I will re-test with the same release of x264, I'm just asking in case there is a generic issue in 1.14.4).
dirk362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 16:39   #5778  |  Link
RainyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDog View Post
I'm trying to convert a 1920x1080@29.97fps transport stream to 720p@23.976fps but can't seem to get the Ripbot settings down. Media Info reports the former scan type as progressive so no deinterlacing is needed. But if I set Ripbot to decimate > 23.976fps only, the resulting video judders badly and the A/V is out of sync.

However, I've found that encoding without decimating, then remuxing the resulting .mkv in MKVMerge and flagging the video as 23.976fps, it plays back smoothly. Is it possible the original .ts is actually 23.976fps but is flagged incorrectly as 29.97fps? It's a HDTV cap of a film.
Hmm, I'm still stuck in sussing out how to handle this source I went ahead with the full encode, leaving the framerate at 29.97 and only cropping and resizing to 720p (at the correct AR). As per my short clip testing, the A/V is out of sync in the resulting .mkv, so I remuxed with MKV Merge and set the framerate to 23.976. But this just lengthened the running time by x1.25 (obviously 23.976x1.25=29.97).

Anyway, I went back to my source and demuxed the video from the .ts. TSMuxer tells me it's 29.97 with pulldown, so I set TSMuxer to remove the pulldown which then leaves me with a raw .mpv that Media Info states is 23.976fps. However, when I load this into Ripbot (after renaming to a .m2v) the running time is recognised as 1.25x longer than it really is. So, is there anything else I can try? Do I need to do some groundwork with DGIndex on my source and load into Ripbot via. an AVS script?

Hopefully somebody can make sense of what I'm trying to say and cheers in advance for any help.
RainyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 18:29   #5779  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

send me 50 mb sample. Use DGSplit and www.mediafire.com
Old 21st September 2009, 01:22   #5780  |  Link
wakebrder

Quote:
No, it doesn't work that way. TrueHD is always uncompressed to WAV. There is no way to extract the core AC3 without another app. Which version are you running?
Well, it works that way for me.

Using .3. I had some issues with .4.
wakebrder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360