Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 5th May 2022, 16:57   #1621  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
The BL_EL_RPU.hevc output stream directly from your dovi_tool after having muxed together BL and EL.
I'm using this code, no more:

dovi_tool mux --bl BL.hevc --el EL.hevc
I can't reproduce your issue. MKVToolNix adds the Dolby Vision block for me.
Old 5th May 2022, 18:47   #1622  |  Link
von Suppé

Weird. Maybe you're using another version? I'm using MKVToolnix v67.0.0.63 on Win7 64 bit.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2022, 18:59   #1623  |  Link
quietvoid

Shouldn't matter, mine is mkvtoolnix-gui v67.0.0 ('Under Stars') 64-bit.
You should make sure there are actually RPUs in the EL you're muxing.

If there are, then probably best to make an issue at MKVToolNix.

You can confirm this by using --debug dovi_configuration_record when muxing, which should dump the dovi_rpu_data_header and dovi_decoder_configuration_record.

Last edited by quietvoid; 5th May 2022 at 19:06.
quietvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2022, 19:19   #1624  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietvoid View Post
You can confirm this by using
--debug dovi_configuration_record
when muxing...
Thank you. To be clear, I set this in "Miscellaneous box, additional options" yes?
Old 5th May 2022, 19:31   #1625  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Thank you. To be clear, I set this in "Miscellaneous box, additional options" yes?
Yea that works. It'll show up in the job output.
Old 6th May 2022, 11:21   #1626  |  Link
von Suppé

Didn't work. It gets weird though. I tried with version 62.0.0 and success... I'm now suspicious MKVToolnix not running 100% properly on Windows 7. Or better said, latest version on my Windows 7 pc. Mosu more than once mentioned that if it works on Windows 7, it's not by design. For now, I will continue to work with this version to import your tool's hevc.

When I have time (too busy now) I'll boot into Ubuntu and install latest MKVToolnix & try from there. Thanks for your help and my apologies for wasting some of your time, @quietvoid.
Old 6th May 2022, 12:24   #1627  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

FYI: there have been no changes at all to the h.264, h.265 or DoVi code in MKVToolNix between releases 66 & 67.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2022, 16:31   #1628  |  Link
von Suppé

Ok. I must say I've been happily using till version 67.0.0.63 without any issues, until now with this specific dovitool's thing. I do harbour a healthy doubt now concerning my Windows 7 pc. The installation date is from a few years ago and a lot has been done with it since.
As said, when there's time to try things out in Ubuntu I'll also make effort to restore an image of a clean Win7 installation and see if that would make a difference.
Thanks.
Old 14th May 2022, 18:54   #1629  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Is it possible to "remove" a timecode from a file, created with a buggish software?

I mean, if I know that the frame rate is constant, how can I remove the variable frame rate flag and apply the correct constant one?

Edit: please something more elegant than demux to elementary streams and remux again

Last edited by tormento; 14th May 2022 at 19:04.
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2022, 00:17   #1630  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Is it possible to "remove" a timecode from a file, created with a buggish software?
No, every MKV file is technically VFR. Even a 25-fps, completely CFR Matroska (with a rational 40 ms/frame rate) has internal timecodes for each frame.

The good news is, you can always fix bad time stamps, simply by re-feeding a correct timecode file.

Also, mkvmerge has an option --fix-bitstream-timing-information, which, in ideal world, would fix time stamps. You may want to try it too see if it works for you. Although generally this option doesn't work too well and it's known that Mkvmerge itself may write less-than-ideal time stamps due to internal rounding errors, the resulted file might be practically acceptable, nevertheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Edit: please something more elegant than demux to elementary streams and remux again
While remuxing is unavoidable, you'll only need to add a new timecode file, mostly painless. That's a sure-fire way. Also, in an ideal case, you'll just enable --fix-bitstream-timing-information (the result of this 2nd method may be practically good enough, if you're lucky).
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2022, 07:57   #1631  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
While remuxing is unavoidable, you'll only need to add a new timecode file, mostly painless.
And what is a nice and clean way to create a new timecode file, once I know fps and length?
Old 22nd May 2022, 20:23   #1632  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v68.0.0 released

Heyo!

Here's MKVToolNix v68 in which a lot of work has gone into replacing the icons in the GUI with scalable versions (SVG instead of PNG), improving support for odd scaling factors such as 125%.

A note to for package maintainers: due to the aforementioned change Qt's SVG library is now required.

A note for Raspberry Pi users: please migrate to using my Debian repository instead of the Raspbian repository I used to host. The Debian binaries are now available for the armhf architecture, removing the need for a Raspbian-specific repository.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 68.0.0 "The Curtain" 2022-05-22
New features and enhancements
  • mkvmerge: HDMV PGS subtitles: mkvmerge now tries to detect bogus timestamps (where the current timestamp is two hours or more after the previous timestamp) & correct them to something more sensible (1s after the previous timestamp). That way one bogus timestamp cannot cause the rest of the frames to not be interleaved properly with the other audio & video packets. Implemented for #3268.
  • mkvmerge: added colour information, colour mastering meta information & video projection information properties to the JSON identification format. The properties are reported for container types for which mkvmerge supports reading them (Matroska & MP4). The JSON identification format version number has been bumped to v15.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: added controls for all the video colour information & the video projection information.

Bug fixes
  • mkvmerge: SRT reader: entries with a duration of 0 or less will now be skipped. Fixes #3332.
  • mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix GUI's chapter & header editors: fixed an invalid memory access when trying to update existing Matroska files whose EBML Head element had a "size" field length of eight bytes, and where rewriting said element would shrink the element by one byte. Files created by gstreamer fit the first part whereas the second depends on the changes requested by the user. Part of the fix of #3325.
  • mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix GUI's chapter & header editors: fixed the programs not handling having to remove EBML void elements at the end of the file correctly and consequently aborting. Part of the fix of #3325.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: the GUI now uses almost all SVG icons, allowing proper scaling even for scaling factors such as 125%. Fixes #3335.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: when compiled with Qt 5 the character set of INI files is forced to UTF-8 in order to fix reading INI files written by a version compiled with Qt 6. Fixes #3346.

Build system changes
  • Qt's SVG library is now required.

Have fun 😁

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2022, 23:05   #1633  |  Link
manolito

Looks like latest version works under Win7 again?
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2022, 03:36   #1634  |  Link
VBB

Thank you Moritz. Looks great!
Old 2nd June 2022, 05:56   #1635  |  Link
ntropy

Using v68.0.0 64-bit to append _t15.mkv and _t16.mkv together found on this page.

But there's a video freeze during playback of the resulting mkv in MPC-HC 1.9.19 on Win10 and in Kodi 19.0 on Nvidia Shield. Are they just bad .mkv's and not appendable? It looks like they are from a blu-ray of a seamless branching title offering an episode with and without 2020 VFX added to a 1971 program. So shouldn't mkv's from a seamless blu-ray be appended seamlessly?
ntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2022, 20:48   #1636  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Seeking / timing problems

I've got an m2ts file extracted with AnyDVD, 24.000 fps avc, dts-ma, that when remuxed won't seek properly. I'm using v68.0.0 & MPC-HC 1.9.21.2.

The source file, when played in MPC-HC, works fine and I can seek back and forth without problems. But seeking the mkv file often scrambles the video, glitches, pauses, and can take 3-6 seconds to recover.

I've tried remuxing directly from the m2ts file, using both MKVToolnix & eac3to, and also from the "00021 - 2 - h264, 1080p24.h264" extracted with eac3to. Each time I get the same result. I have no experience with the ffmpeg muxer so I didn't try it.

I've tried combinations of setting FPS to be 24p, enabling "fix bitstream timing info", and all the Indexing options. Audio is ignored and not copied for now.

The m2ts plays fine. Is it the remux process, or do you think its an unrecoverable glitch caused by AnyDVD?

Any ideas on how to correct the timing / seeking? This isn't the first time I've encountered this, and I'd really like to learn something new and fix it without re-encoding.

Thanks! And Thank You Mosu!

P.S. I re-encoded a 5 minute sample with HandBrake, and there's no image corruption and I can seek fine, so I think it can correctly read the video stream.
73ChargerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2022, 21:19   #1637  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

I am dealing with an anime box where unfortunately all the episodes are part of the same m2ts and there are chapters only to know when the parts start.

I have split the episodes by main chapters and the keyframes are not exactly where they should. The problem anyway is not the video, but the audio tracks that present different delays.

To batch the muxing of the encoded tracks, I would usually launch something like:

for /R %%a in (*.mkv) do D:\Eseguibili\Media\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe --output ^"g:\Out\%%~na.mkv^" --no-chapters --language 0:ja ^"^(^" ^"%%~na.mkv^" ^"^)^" --sync 0:7 --language 0:it ^"^(^" ^"%%~na [ita] DELAY 7ms.eac3^" ^"^)^" --sub-charset 0:UTF-8 --language 0:it --track-name 0:F --forced-display-flag 0:yes ^"^(^" ^"%%~na [ita] F.ass^" ^"^)^" --sync 0:7 --language 0:ja ^"^(^" ^"%%~na [jpn] DELAY 7ms.eac3^" ^"^)^" --sub-charset 0:UTF-8 --language 0:it ^"^(^" ^"%%~na [ita].ass^" ^"^)^" --attachment-name ^"Trebuchet MS.ttf^" --attachment-mime-type font/ttf --attach-file ^"F:\Raw\— ttf\Trebuchet MS.ttf^" --attachment-name ^"Trebuchet MS italic.ttf^" --attachment-mime-type font/ttf --attach-file ^"F:\Raw\— ttf\Trebuchet MS italic.ttf^" --chapter-language it --chapters ^"%%~na chapters.txt^" --track-order 0:0,1:0,2:0,3:0,4:0

but I can't find a way to make it aware to change the delay based on audio file and change the audio file name itself to follow the different delays.

Is there someone who is smart enough to find a proper solution?

Mosu, could you create a "wildcard" or some way to batch mux a video file with the corresponding tracks, according to some syntax, as I did?

01.mkv is the video
01 [language] delay XX ms.ec3 are the DD+ audio tracks
01 [language].sup are the subs
01 chapters.txt is the OGM chapter file

It is something typical when dealing with bd boxes, a solution would be useful to everybody.

EDIT: I created the BAT file

for /R %%a in (*.mkv) do D:\Eseguibili\Media\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe --output ^"g:\Out\%%~na.mkv^" --no-chapters --title ^"^" --language 0:ja ^"^(^" ^"%%~na.mkv^" ^"^)^" --sync 0:%1 --language 0:it ^"^(^" ^"%%~na [ita] DELAY %1ms.ec3^" ^"^)^" --sub-charset 0:UTF-8 --language 0:it --track-name 0:F --forced-display-flag 0:yes ^"^(^" ^"%%~na [ita] F.sup^" ^"^)^" --sync 0:%1 --language 0:ja ^"^(^" ^"%%~na [jpn] DELAY %1ms.ec3^" ^"^)^" --sub-charset 0:UTF-8 --language 0:it ^"^(^" ^"%%~na [ita].sup^" ^"^)^" --attachment-name ^"Trebuchet MS.ttf^" --attachment-mime-type font/ttf --attach-file ^"F:\Raw\— ttf\Trebuchet MS.ttf^" --attachment-name ^"Trebuchet MS italic.ttf^" --attachment-mime-type font/ttf --attach-file ^"F:\Raw\— ttf\Trebuchet MS italic.ttf^" --chapter-language it --chapters ^"%%~na chapters.txt^" --track-order 0:0,1:0,2:0,3:0,4:0

and I call it with "test.bat xx" where xx is the delay but I won't consider it a universal and elegant solution.

Last edited by tormento; 13th June 2022 at 21:39.
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2022, 21:41   #1638  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

How important is it for you to split physical the episodes?

I would prefer ordered-linked-chapters-mkv's per episode if you want to have separated episode-files. This is a virtual cut method and with the correct player it always works.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2022, 23:17   #1639  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
How important is it for you to split physical the episodes?
It's easier to manage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
I would prefer ordered-linked-chapters-mkv's per episode
I do not understand what you mean.
Old 14th June 2022, 00:05   #1640  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

You can play each episode separate without splitting the big.mkv(all episodes).

Create an mkv for each episode with chapters only, yes only the chapters are needed for this feature.

The simplest way is to uses only one chapter.
For episode one:
Start time 0s - end time 20min (or how ever the end time of episode one is)

Set a SegmentUID: this is the SegmentUID from the big.mkv. In cE and in ChapterEditor by MTX you can load the mkv and the UID is extracted automatically.
This UID is used for all other chapters too.

Save the chapters to the usual xml-format, then load this chapter file to a blank MTX muxing tab -> output and mux the mks to the folder with the big.mkv.

Play the mks file with MPC-HC and only episode one is used.

You can now create all the other episode.mks files, change the start and end time frame exactly.

Last edited by hubblec4; 14th June 2022 at 00:10.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska