Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st August 2002, 06:05   #41  |  Link
Yusaku

You need a newer GPU for that... but if you turn off VMR renderer, it should revert to normal, right?

Doing bilinear filtering (bicubic is out of question) by software instead of GPU would be a huge processor hug. If your card doesn't support bilinear filtering on textures, do not use D3D mode.
Yusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2002, 15:48   #42  |  Link
gabest

Yes, probably knowing the type of the videocard would bring us closer to the answer
Old 22nd August 2002, 12:59   #43  |  Link
pandv

Little sugestions about usability and fullscreen

I have a little sugestions about the behaviour of the Media Player and fullscreen mode (not important at all).

- When in fullscreen mode press Esc key, go out of fullscreen mode but stop the video also (wm 6.4 does it). Because if anybody goes to windowed mode is to see or do another thing.

- When not in fullscreen mode, Esc closes the player (it's a option in wm 6.4, if I remember correctly). Boss key. Alt-F4 is more dificult to press.

- When the film or clip finishes (if there are not loop programmed) go out of fullscreen mode (wm 6.4 also does it).

Only suggested because when I migrated from 6.4 to 7.0 (yes, nobody is perfect) I missed this functions. Now, I am using your player. Thanks.

pandv.
pandv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2002, 15:21   #44  |  Link
Yusaku

Re: Little sugestions about usability and fullscreen

Quote:
Originally posted by pandv
- When in fullscreen mode press Esc key, go out of fullscreen mode but stop the video also (wm 6.4 does it). Because if anybody goes to windowed mode is to see or do another thing.
Yeah, that'd be nice - WMP did that...
Quote:
- When not in fullscreen mode, Esc closes the player (it's a option in wm 6.4, if I remember correctly). Boss key. Alt-F4 is more dificult to press.
Noooooooo!!!!! WMP did NOT do this and it'd be too easy to exit the player without wanting to.
Quote:
- When the film or clip finishes (if there are not loop programmed) go out of fullscreen mode (wm 6.4 also does it).
yeah, that was feature of early WMPs (I remember it from my old W95 station) that I didn't like too much, but - it doesn't matter. I'd more like to see it the way it is now, but...
Old 28th August 2002, 17:43   #45  |  Link
wertherman

Bug

Your player seems to stop responding whenever you use it to play realmedia clips in quick succession (ie within a couple of seconds of each other).

Other than that, the player is great, the first player I've used thats been good enough to replace good old windows media player 6.4.......

Additional bug: I've found one just one mp3 file it plays and about 10 it doesn't so far - crashes with three memory access errors (I can send you copies of some of the mp3's I've found that it crashes on if required)

Last edited by wertherman; 28th August 2002 at 17:52.
wertherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2002, 18:23   #46  |  Link
gabest

I've sent you my ftp in a pm.

About the rm files randomly locking up the player I can't do much. After I tell the realplayer dlls to begin the playback 1 out of 10 times the call never returns and the whole thing just freezes.
Old 29th August 2002, 01:30   #47  |  Link
wertherman

Ok.. I'm uploading one of the files that wouldn't play now (Filename = "(Hed) Planet Earth - Bartender.mp3") though I think its something messed up with my system as I just tried the same file in wmp6 and it didn't play (I've been trying to reinstall win2k for about a month now but murphy's law keeps holding me back (at the moment I've got a nice "Inaccessible boot device" blue screen)).

As for the realmedia issue, if that's the case your only real way of dealing with it would be to start a seperate thread for calling the realmedia dll's and then after a certain time out period, give up and kill the thread (and then deal with the consequences)..... Which could really mess up all your other code so don't make it top priority...........
Old 29th August 2002, 01:43   #48  |  Link
gabest

I've just loaded the mp3 a few times but no probelms here. Don't you have some non-default mp3 decoders installed?
Old 29th August 2002, 07:30   #49  |  Link
Flay

Key frame seek

Light Alloy - player which can seek to key frames. :-)
How ? - just pasre AVI by itself and seek to calculated position.
It works !
Old 29th August 2002, 10:42   #50  |  Link
wertherman

Nope. I've got the fraunhofer transform filter for directshow(tm) version 1.5 (build 50) installed and nothing else (unless I've got something decode only, but as it uses the fraunhofer codec for the files it can play it really shouldn't matter....) I'll see if I can work out what's wrong but I can't really think of much that I can try (other than possibly installing lame directshow filter for decoding mp3s)...........
Old 29th August 2002, 14:53   #51  |  Link
gabest

Re: Key frame seek

Quote:
Originally posted by Flay
Light Alloy - player which can seek to key frames. :-)
How ? - just pasre AVI by itself and seek to calculated position.
It works !
Hmmmm, not a bad idea
Old 31st August 2002, 22:31   #52  |  Link
gabest

New test version: http://vobsub.edensrising.com/get2.php/mpctest.rar

Capturing part may not work on every configuration. It was only tested under xp with that wdm bt8x8 driver from sourceforge, and also with a simple usb cam.

If I forgot to add something you suggested, just ask it again.
Old 31st August 2002, 23:52   #53  |  Link
Yusaku

woo, nice.

Feature requests: when you press Alt+arrows more times, cache it and seek to end time (e.g. if I press it 10 times, seek 50 secs ahead instead of 10 times 5 secs) - it still takes too long time to e.g. seek, say, two minutes.

support opening URLs - since I replaced the default WMP6.4 with your MPC, everytime I click on media file link on some server it is first downloaded to temp and then played. With WMP it was played back while downloading (at least in case of MPGs and ASFs, not sure about AVIs)
Old 1st September 2002, 02:00   #54  |  Link
wertherman

Managed to re-install win2k in the end and now your media player plays mp3's files no problem, doubt I'll ever know what got messed up with my previous system (unless it happens again).....

PS: If you want to make it more like the original media player you should put a feature to be able to load and display .jpg files....
Old 1st September 2002, 06:05   #55  |  Link
Yusaku

Also, the bug of correct aspect ratio switching on DVDs while having DVobSub loaded still remains. All that is needed is to pres Numlk-5 (pan&scan reset) and it corrects itselves, so you're almost there
Old 1st September 2002, 06:07   #56  |  Link
gabest

With which mpeg2 decoder?
Old 1st September 2002, 06:11   #57  |  Link
Yusaku

CyberLink from PDVD4, iviaudio for AC3.

Maybe it is an issue of buggy CyberBlade videocard drivers though . One never knows with this videocard...

Edit: when playing with the DVD playback a bit more, I found that it indeed still is not working at all, I just pressed the Num-5 key at the wrong time (movie switched to 2.11:1 at that time)

additional DVD bugs:
Ctrl-Arrows does the stangest things, including but not limited to stopping the timer (bottom right), randomly seeking to some place +-15 secs from current position and audio mess. And the last time I tried it the strangest freeze of computer I've seen so far (services, Alt-Tab working, mouse cursor correctly changing but programs totally dead... thus after trying to revive the system for a while requiring me to write this again ^_^).

And Alt-Arrows is probably not yet implemented in DVD playback...

you'll have to wait about 1 month before I test capture functions though

Last edited by Yusaku; 1st September 2002 at 06:54.
Old 3rd September 2002, 06:15   #58  |  Link
Yusaku

New bugreports: after pressing . (stop), player seeks to beginning but keeps showing the last picture played - you probably should play first frame and stop again to behave "normally" (same goes for end of playback, WMP used to always show the first frame of video in "stop" state I think)

I think I had one more, but cannot remember now... maybe later. And another request: could you make that newly added "go from fullscreen to windowed on the end of playback" function optional? It annoys me Registry is enough, checkbox in "tweaks" tab is even better
Old 3rd September 2002, 06:32   #59  |  Link
gabest

Hm, wmp64 is very tricky when stopping. I think it only puts itself into paused state. It even disables the pause button.
Old 4th September 2002, 13:08   #60  |  Link
dopef1sh

multi monitor stuff

Hey, I've been looking for a windows based dvd player that supported multimonitors. WMP 6.4 plays videos just fine fullscreen (divx5, 704x384 res, 29.97 fps) on my second monitor, but none of my dvd players will play on the second. I just downloaded your latest media player and it actually plays the dvd on my second monitor (!), but unfortunately the frame rate suffers horribly. I know wmp64 will use hardware accel. for video on a second monitor, but I think that yours may not. Any ideas? (or know of a good dvd player that will work on a second monitor?)

--josh

btw, nice player, i may start using this exclusively instead of wmp64

PS: some system info:
P4 2.26Ghz, 512 ram
Primary Video: GeForce4 4400
Secondary Video: ATi XPert 128 (heh, i needed a pci card, so sue me)

Last edited by dopef1sh; 4th September 2002 at 13:14.
dopef1sh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
media player classic