Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 2nd December 2019, 18:33   #17901  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker412 View Post
Atak what about nvidia vs Radeon for GPU?
Depends on what decoding and/or encoding filters you want to use...
Old 2nd December 2019, 18:36   #17902  |  Link
stryker412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
What's the advantage for the AData? They're the same price and look to have similar speeds.
stryker412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019, 18:39   #17903  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
What's the advantage for the AData? They're the same price and look to have similar speeds.
Probably nothing...just another option....

I would probably go for at least the EVO Plus...
Old 2nd December 2019, 18:53   #17904  |  Link
stryker412

Quote:
Depends on what decoding and/or encoding filters you want to use...
I generally just use Atak's presets. Starting to move towards all h265 but on my current machine (i7-950) it takes all day for one encode.
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:13   #17905  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Just save that to a file in Tools\AviSynth plugins\Scripts\Custom
Added both 1 & 3

Quote:
Just make sure path in LoadPlugin is correct
??
I found the new scripts in custom script instead of Denoise, is that OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by userx View Post
Hello
I've a mkv-file which has 1 video, 2 audio and 37 subtitle tracks. After demuxing i get an Error:
Code:
FFVideoSource: No video track found
(D:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job2\getinfo.avs, line 2)
I don't want to keep all the subtitles. Is there a workaround or a fix for this issue?
Having >30 subtitle tracks on the source is still an issue. Keep them <30 before adding the job
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019, 22:22   #17906  |  Link
Ripmann

Hi, long time RipBot user here. Really great program. Thank you for your unwavering dedication and generosity.

I have a question regaring the entries in the audio PROFILE dropdown list. Can these default entries be changed or new ones added? I constantly need to use either 576kbps or 512kbps for 5.1 and 384kbps for 2.0 AC3, so I'm always forced to look for the job's jobX_EncodeAudio1.cmd and edit the file in manually after each set up. It's pretty time consuming even for a single job, especially since the .cmd file resets every time you re-open the job in RipBot for any reason, and the program gives an error if you try to mark the file as read only. And the worst part is that if you're doing size-locked 2-pass encoding, you have to estimate the size difference of the audio file manually and manually deduct the extra megabytes from the total. All in all, the lack of these entries is a major inconvenience in my daily RipBot usage.

If modifying the profile entries via config or something isn't possible, could you please consider adding 5.1 512, 5.1 576, and 2.0 384 kbps to the default AC3 profiles list? Not sure about other users, but I really use these three A LOT.

----------------------------
P.S.: Since the forum enforces a mandatory 5-day posting block after registering, I came up with some additional things to say by the time I was able to post:

1) Why does Preview Script sometimes open several preview windows when clicked multiple times, and sometimes only one? I often would like to preview multiple denoise or crop settings, to quickly compare quality and so on. When I try clicking on Preview Script, sometimes I do get several job#_preview.avs MPC-HC pop-ups open, but usually I do not. Since the preview player has "Open a new player for each media file played" setting turned on, I'm assuming that RipBot checks if a preview window is already running and prevents opening another one if it does.

1b) Speaking of the preview popup, you may want to go to the settings of ...\Tools\mpc\mpc-hc64.exe, and set "Store settings in .ini file" (in Player->Other) to true. This way, it'll keep the default settings you want to use in the same folder as the exe without reading custom settings from actual installations of MPC-HC. I happen to use MPC-HC separately, and RipBot's preview exe had been using my custom settings (FFDshow filters, custom saturation and contrast, etc.) in its previews until I disabled it.

2) As another potential feature request, please consider separating the "Temp Files" path setting into something like "Jobs Temp Files" and "Encoding Temp Files". As an example why it could be very useful, I use a temp RAM-based drive that wipes with every restart. I would very much like to have my jobs files be kept on an SSD (since I want to keep them until I remove them manually), and temporary video.265 encoding files go to the RAM drive, since these files are much more write-intensive and they get auto-deleted after muxing to "Default Output Path" anyway. In short, RAM drives are perfect for temporary encoded tracks but not for jobs files. The ability to split the two into separate locations would help a lot.

That's pretty much it. I realize that you're probably flooded with requests, so regardless of your answer, once again, thank you very much.
Ripmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019, 22:53   #17907  |  Link
stryker412

Quote:
Or

https://www.amazon.com/XPG-SX8200-Ge...5307192&sr=8-2

I have some 512Gb versions, but I think I would go for EVO Plus, next. Pro's would be nice, but too exy
Crazy thing is, about 1.5hrs after you posted this it went to a lightning deal but I didn't know about it in time. I'm on the waitlist.
Old 2nd December 2019, 23:50   #17908  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmann View Post
Hi, long time RipBot user here. Really great program. Thank you for your unwavering dedication and generosity.

I have a question regaring the entries in the audio PROFILE dropdown list. Can these default entries be changed or new ones added? I constantly need to use either 576kbps or 512kbps for 5.1 and 384kbps for 2.0 AC3, so I'm always forced to look for the job's jobX_EncodeAudio1.cmd and edit the file in manually after each set up. It's pretty time consuming even for a single job, especially since the .cmd file resets every time you re-open the job in RipBot for any reason, and the program gives an error if you try to mark the file as read only. And the worst part is that if you're doing size-locked 2-pass encoding, you have to estimate the size difference of the audio file manually and manually deduct the extra megabytes from the total. All in all, the lack of these entries is a major inconvenience in my daily RipBot usage.

If modifying the profile entries via config or something isn't possible, could you please consider adding 5.1 512, 5.1 576, and 2.0 384 kbps to the default AC3 profiles list? Not sure about other users, but I really use these three A LOT.

----------------------------
P.S.: Since the forum enforces a mandatory 5-day posting block after registering, I came up with some additional things to say by the time I was able to post:

1) Why does Preview Script sometimes open several preview windows when clicked multiple times, and sometimes only one? I often would like to preview multiple denoise or crop settings, to quickly compare quality and so on. When I try clicking on Preview Script, sometimes I do get several job#_preview.avs MPC-HC pop-ups open, but usually I do not. Since the preview player has "Open a new player for each media file played" setting turned on, I'm assuming that RipBot checks if a preview window is already running and prevents opening another one if it does.

1b) Speaking of the preview popup, you may want to go to the settings of ...\Tools\mpc\mpc-hc64.exe, and set "Store settings in .ini file" (in Player->Other) to true. This way, it'll keep the default settings you want to use in the same folder as the exe without reading custom settings from actual installations of MPC-HC. I happen to use MPC-HC separately, and RipBot's preview exe had been using my custom settings (FFDshow filters, custom saturation and contrast, etc.) in its previews until I disabled it.

2) As another potential feature request, please consider separating the "Temp Files" path setting into something like "Jobs Temp Files" and "Encoding Temp Files". As an example why it could be very useful, I use a temp RAM-based drive that wipes with every restart. I would very much like to have my jobs files be kept on an SSD (since I want to keep them until I remove them manually), and temporary video.265 encoding files go to the RAM drive, since these files are much more write-intensive and they get auto-deleted after muxing to "Default Output Path" anyway. In short, RAM drives are perfect for temporary encoded tracks but not for jobs files. The ability to split the two into separate locations would help a lot.

That's pretty much it. I realize that you're probably flooded with requests, so regardless of your answer, once again, thank you very much.
I'm curious why do you have to use those particular bitrates? Is this some kind of hardware limitation? All blu-ray movies just use 640kbps for 5.1 AC3 and Stereo is often encoded as 224-256kbps.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 02:07   #17909  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
I generally just use Atak's presets. Starting to move towards all h265 but on my current machine (i7-950) it takes all day for one encode.
Do you have more than one PC ???

Do you use Distributed Encoding ??? (you can use this one only 1 PC, can speed things up a little)

Unless you are using certain filters (KNLMeansCL) that require a powerful GPU, you really don't need anything too special, unless you're doing 4K, and have a 4K monitor.

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 3rd December 2019 at 02:14.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 02:13   #17910  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
I've cut 7:39 from the beginning of Blade Runner which includes the voight kampff test. The original and the Mdegrain3-800 is here. I'l leave this up for a week and then take it down.

https://cloud.chrisdos.com/index.php/s/YQJ2Y6LEdPcweEP
Hey, I thought I'd grab these as well, to see what you'd done...

OMFG, that is SO much better, that would be worth a long encode, for that transformation...well done !!!

edit:- So like I said, I downloaded these to have a look for myself, and I also decided to "test" the (new to me) MDegrain scripts that Atak kindly provided, and I loaded the file 3 times, each with a different MDegrain script, and then when I went to encode, it started to process the chunks and the it errored, stating it couldn't find something in the job folder.....so I checked it Mediainfo, and was surprised to see the frame rate

Video
ID : 1
ID in the original source medium : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 7 min 24 s
Bit rate : 50.0 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 380.645 FPS
Original frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS

So the only thing I could think of was to run it thru Handbrake to bring it down a touch (60fps), loaded it back into RB, away we go...

BTW, how long did it take to encode the MDegrain3 sample ??

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 3rd December 2019 at 06:13.
Old 3rd December 2019, 03:23   #17911  |  Link
BLKMGK

Quote:
I'd just like to add my 2 cents worth, here...

It would be interesting to see that info for 4K x265 filtering.

Graphs, data, % etc, are all well and good, but the final test is one's eye's !!!

As 4K is becoming the norm, it needs to work for that.

I'm probably wrong, but I'm sure it wouldn't take very long for Atak to implement more MDegrain options, he's got M2 setup, all that possibly needs doing is edit the scripts for M1 & M3, add them to the drop down list, and there you have it....no more discussion.

Now who here, uses KNLMeansCL ???, it certainly doesn't seem to be mentioned very often, and I think it being fundamentally a GPU based filter, you need a powerful GPU, if I recall, you also need particular software/drivers to be able to use it, and it's SLOW....so combining M2 & KNL, would take days to encode a feature length movie, especially 4K.

There's 1 x KNL (on it's own), and 3 with M2, and 1 x M2 (on its own) option's, in the dropdown.

Personally I miss, HQDN3D, I use to use that a lot.
Actually, I use the KNLMeansCL filter with MDegrain2 quite a bit. I choose this for older stuff that shows noticeable grain or artifacts in the Preview Script. The cleanup it did on a BluRay version of the older Red Dawn movie was jaw dropping. I've tested it with both high end and fairly pedestrian video cards - the difference in speed was negligible so purchasing a high end card to use this seems pointless. I have mostly 1050 NVIDIA cards in my machines (one has a GTX 680) and the NVIDIA drivers automatically load the desired OpenCL driver. No muss no fuss, this is one VERY nice filter IMO. Currently not doing 4K video here as the HDR stuff is a hassle. I do use CRF 20 on say TV shows but movies are always CRF 18 and look terrific, X.265 Slow is my profile of choice and with a number of machines I make fairly short work of videos. When I can track down a Ryzen 3950X it should move along a good bit quicker! For movies with filtering I get just as bit over 30FPS so it's certainly not a day long affair when you've clustered hardware.

P.S. I noticed awhile back someone mentioned the scaling issue with cores. To take care of this run multiple copies of the encoding server - problem solved! You can even set core affinity I think but I haven't found the need.
BLKMGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 05:17   #17912  |  Link
Ripmann

Quote:
I'm curious why do you have to use those particular bitrates? Is this some kind of hardware limitation? All blu-ray movies just use 640kbps for 5.1 AC3 and Stereo is often encoded as 224-256kbps.
Hi Atak, thanks for reading my post.

I use 576kbps for a specialized case, but speaking more broadly, it's a size-related limitation. Here are some common use scenarios that I think could apply to other users besides me:

With longer tracks, higher bitrate audio can take up too much space even when compressed. I very often use 512-576 as a compromise between being forced to go lower than 640 but without the somewhat noticeable quality loss of 448. For example, I have a 5GB DTSMA track in queue right now that encodes to 904MB at 640kbps, 814MB at 576kbps, 723MB at 512kbps, and 633MB at 448kbps, so jumping from 448 to 640 is almost 50% in size difference. Having an option to pick an intermediate step between these two is often very useful, especially when recordable media sizes are fixed but track lengths can vary greatly.

For stereo it's a bit different case. Here I usually use it in a situation where I prefer the best quality I can afford. So I want at least 320kbps, close to the highest level supported by the MP3 standard, but I often go with an overkill of 384kbps since I want as little quality loss as possible and the difference in size is relatively negligible. Again, an easy, generalized example where 320kbps would make a lot of sense is one of those old concerts from the 80s and 90s that were often recorded in stereo. I have a 1.2GB FLAC track right now that encodes to 526MB at 384kbps, and 351MB at 256kbps. So if I want to save space at virtually no quality loss, 320/384kbps seems like a no-brainer compromise.

Hope I'm making some sense. By the way, what did you think of the idea of separating Jobs folder from Temp Files, to allow redirecting temporary "video.265" output to a RAM drive? I don't think it would have a noticeable effect on encoding times, but it would definitely make the lives of our SSDs easier.
Ripmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:39   #17913  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

I'm chasing some annoying, random drop out's...some days I have no problems, and other days, it's a PITA mess, and I haven't changed anything.

What does this mean :-

[2019-12-03 15:57:53] TCPClient7 raised exception while attempting to sent command.(Not Connected)
[2019-12-03 15:57:53] TCPClient8 raised exception while attempting to sent command.(Not Connected)

I also got this :-

Invalid pointer operation

(Doubt they are related, though.)
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:27   #17914  |  Link
GZZ

Quote:
I'm chasing some annoying, random drop out's...some days I have no problems, and other days, it's a PITA mess, and I haven't changed anything.

What does this mean :-

[2019-12-03 15:57:53] TCPClient7 raised exception while attempting to sent command.(Not Connected)
[2019-12-03 15:57:53] TCPClient8 raised exception while attempting to sent command.(Not Connected)

I also got this :-

Invalid pointer operation

(Doubt they are related, though.)
Im thinking you are losing connection between client and server. Could be network related issue or bad network card. Check system log for warnings or errors on the network card and driver. Only use cable, not wifi as it might dropout.
GZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:14   #17915  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZZ View Post
Im thinking you are losing connection between client and server. Could be network related issue or bad network card. Check system log for warnings or errors on the network card and driver. Only use cable, not wifi as it might dropout.
Well, it's definitely a network problem....

All the NIC's are onboard (built in, but still could be faulty.)

All the cables are pretty new, (again, they could be faulty.)

No WiFi !!

The weird thing about it is, one day I can have an almost faultless encoding "session", and other days are just crap, and I don't get much done , and the fact that I haven't changed anything, adds to the frustration.
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:50   #17916  |  Link
GZZ

Quote:
Well, it's definitely a network problem....

All the NIC's are onboard (built in, but still could be faulty.)

All the cables are pretty new, (again, they could be faulty.)

No WiFi !!

The weird thing about it is, one day I can have an almost faultless encoding "session", and other days are just crap, and I don't get much done , and the fact that I haven't changed anything, adds to the frustration.
Could be noise from other electrical units if you have bad shielded cable. Try running network at 100mbit and see if it makes a difference. You could also do a ping <ip> -t >> c:\ip.log to see if ping fails doing encoding.
GZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:41   #17917  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZZ View Post
Could be noise from other electrical units if you have bad shielded cable. Try running network at 100mbit and see if it makes a difference. You could also do a ping <ip> -t >> c:\ip.log to see if ping fails doing encoding.
Yes, it could be noise, but when its the same equipment running on a good day, and the next day is crap.

I have my main pc's connected to a 24 port switch, using those flat Cat 6 cables (admittedly I have had some trouble with some), then that switch is connected to an 8 port switch in another room, using your "run of the mill" blue round cable, then from that 8 port to the server pc, using flat cable again.

I will give setting then down to 100Mb a try, and because it's so random, a ping would probably not detect a problem.

The connection failures happen randomly during the encode, if you keep an eye on the Encoding Client, a "chunk" will just stop processing, if you stop it, more often than not is will start and complete without issue.

Frustrating to diagnose
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:38   #17918  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:

OMFG, that is SO much better, that would be worth a long encode, for that transformation...well done !!!

I didn't encode this sample. I cut the same length from the completed file that I did around this time last year. As for time, I think it was around 24 hours with my setup. Since I'm meticulous, I probably ran Blade Runner through a half of dozen times try different settings. So for me it was a week.

Here is a post I did when I was just learning MDegrain and doing test encodes and I posted the results of some of my tests:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...76#post1803976
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:17   #17919  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
I didn't encode this sample. I cut the same length from the completed file that I did around this time last year. As for time, I think it was around 24 hours with my setup. Since I'm meticulous, I probably ran Blade Runner through a half of dozen times try different settings. So for me it was a week.

Here is a post I did when I was just learning MDegrain and doing test encodes and I posted the results of some of my tests:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...76#post1803976
Interesting.

So how come the frame rate is so high ??

edit:- so as you are a regular user of MDegrain filters, (and I'm sure you're using DE), does it take a long time for each chunk to start processing ???

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 4th December 2019 at 00:28.
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:44   #17920  |  Link
slalom

Quote:

edit:- So like I said, I downloaded these to have a look for myself, and I also decided to "test" the (new to me) MDegrain scripts that Atak kindly provided, and I loaded the file 3 times, each with a different MDegrain script, and then when I went to encode, it started to process the chunks and the it errored, stating it couldn't find something in the job folder.....so I checked it Mediainfo, and was surprised to see the frame rate

Video
ID : 1
ID in the original source medium : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 7 min 24 s
Bit rate : 50.0 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 380.645 FPS
Original frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS

So the only thing I could think of was to run it thru Handbrake to bring it down a touch (60fps), loaded it back into RB, away we go...

Why didn't you use Avisynth -> Output speed?
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360