Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Closed Thread

Old 24th August 2012, 19:25   #21  |  Link
mini-moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassBot View Post
The link isn't working.
hmm I just tried it and it's working fine but here's another anyway

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hszshq
Old 28th August 2012, 14:31   #22  |  Link
SassBot

No, I was referring to qknet's dropbox link. I just get 404s from it.

Old 31st August 2012, 01:15   #23  |  Link
rakuen.now

I just posted in the BDSup2Sub thread about how I fixed, at least on my system, the flashing bug for .sup(BD) output to tsMuxer when played back using XBMC. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem or is interested in fixing it. I looked up the code to the C++ version it looks very much the same as the Java version, so it should be afflicted the same way. Anyways, just a heads up in case anyone cares. If not, I'll go back under my rock...
Old 31st August 2012, 15:37   #24  |  Link
SassBot

It's interesting to me. And, yeah, the code is pretty similar since it was a pretty straightforward port. I noticed you forked on github. If you send a pull request, I'll merge your fixes.

Right now, I'm doing some internal reorganization to cleanup some of the messiness of the port and restructuring things so that multithreading the writing out of files can be done (which at this point is basically impossible based on the current architecture carried over during the porting) so a new version will still be a bit off. I will get it out I promise. This cleanup will also allow me to write some unit tests to get decent code coverage to help squelch the regressions a bit due to the complexity of many areas of the code that cause weird cascading effects when you make what should be small changes.

Last edited by SassBot; 31st August 2012 at 15:44.

Old 10th September 2012, 08:26   #25  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I've noticed some bugs (or limitations) in BDSup2Sub++ 1.0.0.

In the "Move all captions" dialog, it is possible to move the captions horizontally from the original X position to the right (with a positive offset) or to the left (with a negative offset). That's fine. But the similar function to moye vertically from the original Y position works only with positive offsets. Therefore, it is not possible to move all captions up. Even positive offsets do not work well. Not sure why, but it's a pity. (I have not verified if it is possible to move the subtitles up with the command line.)

In the same window, it is possible to use the "crop bars" to restrict the move. If you use them, then apply the changes, you can see the subtitles at the correct position. But if you save the file and reload it, the subtitles are not where they should be. They are often under the crop bar (not visible any more). To permanently freeze the position of the subtitles, you must use "Reset crop offset" before saving. IMO, that's not very intuitive. Could you, at least, add a word of caution in the "Move all captions" dialog, or offer to reset the crop offset when saving?

Bug: In the window allowing you to move a single subtitle (available by clicking on the preview in the bottom right corner of the main window), the 4 buttons at the top (to save or cancel the edits and go to the previous or next subtitle) do not work.
Old 12th September 2012, 16:55   #26  |  Link
SassBot

Hmm, weird. Okay, putting all those issues on the list of things to get fixed for 1.0.1. I know when I checked the move vertical that it supported positive and negative offsets but it's possible some other change to support other move options borked it since that code is a twisted mess. There's some behind the scenes math being done that can cause issues. As to the crop issue, you can just specify a 0 in the "crop offset Y" field to get the same effect as the "reset crop offset" menu option (unless I'm not fully understanding you) which I agree is a bit unintuitive. To the last issue, it seems that I just plain forgot to implement the functionality for the buttons. Don't know how I didn't spot that earlier.

Thanks again for the reports r0lz.

Last edited by SassBot; 12th September 2012 at 17:02.

Old 12th September 2012, 17:47   #27  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The crop bars are supposed to limit the vertical move in Y. For example, if I use a Move from original Y position with an intentionally big offset of 2000 and a crop value of 50, the subpics are moved to the bottom, but there will always be below them a margin of 50 pixels, due to the crop border. That works fine. If you type 0 to reset the crop border, the subpics will jump to the very bottom of the picture, and that's not what I want. So, I have to leave the crop border unchanged, and close the dialog. (Note that when the dialog is closed, the red lines are still visible, indicating that the crop border is "active".) So, now, it should be possible to save the subtitles, and they should stay where they are in the GUI, at 50 pixels of the bottom border. But that doesn't work. If you reload the subs, the crop border is gone, and the subpics are sticking to the bottom border. So, it seems that the crop border does not what it is supposed to do. However, I've found that if, after having closed the GUI window and before saving the file, I use the "Reset crop offset" menu, the subtitles are correctly saved at their visible position. IMO, that's counter-intuitive, as resetting the crop offset manually in the dialog (by entering 0) has the effect of disabling the crop border, but resetting it from the menu has exactly the opposite effect of "freezing" the subtitles. That may be the way it is programmed, but that's very strange and confusing.

Thanks for considering the two other issues.

Last edited by r0lZ; 12th September 2012 at 17:51.
Old 12th September 2012, 17:52   #28  |  Link
SassBot

Does it do the same behavior in the original BDSup2Sub? That at least narrows it down to being a bug in the port.

Old 12th September 2012, 18:03   #29  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Not sure. I'll verify...
Old 20th September 2012, 08:50   #30  |  Link
mbcd

I have a short feature request:

I programmed my own "decoder" for PGS some times before, but had not enough time to do an "encoder" also ...

I need a function for "splitting" a PGS. That means:
I wanna do linked mkvs, so every mkv-part needs only a few subtitles.

My request is: Is it possible to implement a feature where you can specify a row of framenumbers as splitpoints, e.g. : 120, 15896, 24458, 225895, ...

Output gives you in this case 5 different pgs-files with subtitles that occour from frames:
0-120
121-15896
15897-24458
24459-225895
225896 - Subtitlefile-End

Every single pgs-File has to get a new calculated timecode that begins with "0", calculated from the offset where the split was to the first subtitleoccurance.

Mostly unused at this time, but I think that it will get more important in future with seamless branched titles.
Would be nice to get with cli too e.g.:
-split 120,15896,24458,225895 <- split the pgs but keeps original timecode
-split-resetTC 120,15896,24458,225895 <- split the pgs but resets original timecode at beginning of every file

Last edited by mbcd; 20th September 2012 at 08:55.
Old 20th September 2012, 15:12   #31  |  Link
SassBot

Okay. Add it to the github issues page and I'll look into it.

Old 8th December 2012, 11:27   #32  |  Link
mini-moose

has dev stopped? or will resume when time allows it?
Old 8th December 2012, 15:54   #33  |  Link
hamedham

thanks for this useful post
i searched for *.sub resizer in web but not any sites found
thank you "sassbot"
Old 17th December 2012, 09:40   #34  |  Link
jhon marvi

Hey every 1

BDSup2Sub is a tool I wrote initially to convert captions demuxed from a Blu-Ray transport stream (M2TS) into the DVD VobSub format (SUB/IDX) used by many DVD authoring tools - hence the name. Many more features were added over time as was support for other formats. So in the meantime the name seems a little inappropriate. In a nutshell, it's a subtitle conversion tool (for image based formats) with scaling capabilities and some other nice features.
Old 1st January 2013, 02:46   #35  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Hi, I got 2 crashes with 2 SUP files (program crashes in ntdll.dll on XP SP3).
The SUPs can be found here.
Hoping a fix is possible! Thank you.
Old 1st January 2013, 18:00   #36  |  Link
TheSkiller

Hi guys,

I make my own DVD subtitles for my projects using Aegisub + avs2bdnxml + BDSup2Sub.

And so far I'm very pleased, the subtiles look very nice and this method enables me to take almost all the possibilities of ASS/Aegisub to DVD subtitles which is a HUGE relief.

Here's an example from the 16:9 subpic stream:

(click for 720x574 full size)
I consider this almost perfect. Almost.
Something I have always wondered if it's possible to make it better is the outer edge of the outline, you know the transition between subpic and underlaying video (green here).

There tend to be those "rough" pixels, making the border a bit fuzzy. I noticed it seems to happen to the lowest part of any outline on a subpic mostly, in other words if there are two lines of text the upper one looks almost unaffected by it. Here's an illustration with 400% point-zoom:

I know the "Alpha Threshold" controls this border but it cannot fix it entirely, there are always some rough pixels somewhere, mostly at the bottom. And if I find a value which makes a single subpic look good, it makes others worse.
I mean it's not a huge deal but it keeps telling me my subpics aren't 100% perfect yet.
So, I keep scratching my head, either I'm doing something wrong or maybe it is some sort of bug in BDSup2Sub (happens with BDSup2Sub++, too, by the way)?
Would it be possible to add some mechanism that smooths the outline in terms of removing rough pixels?

If anyone feels like playing around, here's a ZIP containing the shown subtitle in XML + PNG format (output of avs2bdnxml).
http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/7044747/file.html (redundant, see edit)

The settings I used in BDSup2Sub:
Alpha Tresh: 20 | Med/Low Thresh: 96 | Hi/Med Tresh: 200
And important for my authoring, I use no cropping, by launching BDSup2Sub with /acrop:0

Output format is SUB/IDX.

Edit: Oh, well. I just found out the rough pixels at the bottom are caused by setting the Y font scaling in the ASS script to anything but 100%. So the problem was already in the PNG. At 100% it's gone, it's not a bug in BDSup2Sub.
But my question regarding a smoothing remains, as the alpha cropping in itself will still cause single rough pixels here and there which just look out of place.

Another Edit: I just realized such a smoothing algorithm to remove single stand-out pixels would be quite simple.
1) Check all the pixels of the final palletized subpic left to right individually and if the current pixel is [outline color] then check if the pixel left and right of it is [transparency color]. If both are, we have found such an unwanted pixel and can remove it by making it [transparency color].
2) Do the same in a vertical fashion, comparing the top and bottom pixel neighbours of all outline pixels.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 1st January 2013 at 22:00.
Old 1st January 2013, 20:59   #37  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical
Since the main developer seems to have gone missing. I can look into it. What specifically were you doing to cause the crash? A step-by-step way to reproduce your crash would be great.
Thanks for your reply, it's very simple:
I launch the program (with all default settings), and open one of the SUPs I linked. I then go to File > Save, chose "English" and it never reaches 100%, the program crashes halfway through. I think it just doesn't like something in those SUPs :/

Last edited by TheShadowRunner; 1st January 2013 at 21:01.
Old 14th January 2013, 12:33   #38  |  Link
Selur

anyone managed to compile BDSup2Sub++ on Linux?
Old 14th January 2013, 12:56   #39  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bd/bdsup2subplusplus-git/PKGBUILD
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bd/bdsup2subplusplus-git/bdsup2subplusplus-git.tar.gz

Last edited by sl1pkn07; 14th January 2013 at 12:58.
Old 14th January 2013, 13:25   #40  |  Link
Selur

looked at the package but it only calls qmake and then make.
problem is if I run 'qmake bdsup2sub++.pro' and than 'make' on Lubuntu 64bit, I end up with a lot of complaints regarding ISO-C++ initialization.
Lubuntu 64bit uses gcc 4.6.3, which might be the cause of the problem,...
-> yup tried another VM with Kubuntu 64bit in it which uses gcc 4.7 and there it compiles.