Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2008, 00:03   #4981  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Thanks for the answer regarding the delay.

I've realized that I had exported the entire DTS Master Audio stream.
-core is what I wanted.
Old 29th May 2008, 00:10   #4982  |  Link
LessThanJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
None at all. I'm not using aften.exe, I'm using libaften.dll. So no command line, instead I'm calling exported functions from the dll.
OK I understand.
Would it be very difficult to reproduce the correlating commandline(s) for aften.exe? Of course only if it comes along with reasonable expenditure. I donīt want to waste your time.

greets
LTJ
Old 29th May 2008, 04:49   #4983  |  Link
mp3weenie

DTS extraction questions

Hello

I am trying to get a DPL2 downmix from a VOB DTS track. For example I have DTS encoded music DVD that has individual music tracks (as chapters?). When I use the demux option it just pulls out one large dts track which when downmixed gives me one large file. Is there a way to extract the audio track based on the video indexes or am I missing something easy?

Great tool, can't wait to get into the lossless HD stff...

Thanks. Jay

Last edited by mp3weenie; 29th May 2008 at 04:53.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:36   #4984  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanJake View Post
OK I understand.
Would it be very difficult to reproduce the correlating commandline(s) for aften.exe? Of course only if it comes along with reasonable expenditure. I donīt want to waste your time.

greets
LTJ
Is there anything specific that you wanna do?

When i use aften.exe, i use wav input with these commands:

aften -readtoeof 1 -b (bitrate) input.wav output.ac3
Old 29th May 2008, 16:11   #4985  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Disney's "The Game Plan" has 92 streams, 00000.m2ts through 00091.m2ts.

Running the command eac3to works, but when I try and add the files, either 2) or by listing the all the files with '+' between them (used a spreadsheet), the program gets stuck. Does nothing.

Perhaps 92 is more pieces than eac3to can handle?

EDIT - It works after about 5 minutes. Had to get a cup of coffee, then I saw the results. Yeah!
Old 29th May 2008, 19:51   #4986  |  Link
SoleBastard

Quote:

My best guess is that in the Foobar2000 reencoded files the lowest 8 significant bits have been zeroed out. But I don't know for sure. You can do try this:

"eac3to foobar.flac eac3to.flac"

Does the file size go back from 1.7GB to 3.7GB this way? If yes, then I have to check out what's happening. If the file size stays at 1.7GB then Foobar2000 has manipulated the audio data while reencoding it. It would not be a big surprise! Because many of the open source flac decoders only support 16bit decoding. That means if you decode with Foobar2000 you probably lose anything over 16bit. Just guessing here, though...
Well, if I do your trick the resulting file is exactly the same size. So no new inflating back from 1.7GB to 3.7GB. However, I don't think Foobar2000 has any problem with 24bit decoding. It explicitly supports 16, 24 and even 32bit decoding and the converter includes the option to 'keep lossless sources at original bit depth'.

Moreover, as I already mentioned, the bitrate remained about the same at ~5000kbps, only the filesize shrunk dramatically. 5000kbps is a pretty normal bitrate for a flac encoded 24bit 48kHz 5.1 track that contains music (not for movie tracks).

Is there anything else I can do to make sense of it all?
Old 30th May 2008, 08:04   #4987  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3weenie View Post
I am trying to get a DPL2 downmix from a VOB DTS track. For example I have DTS encoded music DVD that has individual music tracks (as chapters?). When I use the demux option it just pulls out one large dts track which when downmixed gives me one large file. Is there a way to extract the audio track based on the video indexes or am I missing something easy?
Currently eac3to's VOB/EVO support is limited to work with movies. It doesn't really work well if you want to extract chapter wise. My suggestion would be to extract the DTS files with another tool (e.g. DVD Decrypter works very well for me) and then convert the extracted DTS files to DPL2 with eac3to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
Disney's "The Game Plan" has 92 streams, 00000.m2ts through 00091.m2ts.
And they are all for the movie? Ouch!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
Running the command eac3to works, but when I try and add the files, either 2) or by listing the all the files with '+' between them (used a spreadsheet), the program gets stuck. Does nothing.

Perhaps 92 is more pieces than eac3to can handle?

EDIT - It works after about 5 minutes. Had to get a cup of coffee, then I saw the results. Yeah!
eac3to has to open every file and read the first 30MB and last 30MB (or something like that). That can take a while. Maybe I should add a progress bar for this initial parsing, too...

So was the end result just fine? I imagine you must have had a pretty long list of audio overlaps!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoleBastard View Post
Well, if I do your trick the resulting file is exactly the same size. So no new inflating back from 1.7GB to 3.7GB.
In that case it is as good as proven that Foobar has modified the data!

Quote:
However, I don't think Foobar2000 has any problem with 24bit decoding. It explicitly supports 16, 24 and even 32bit decoding and the converter includes the option to 'keep lossless sources at original bit depth'.
Can't say anything about that. But I can say that eac3to will end up with exactly the same FLAC size if you feed it the same data twice. So if the original FLAC file created by eac3to was 3.7GB while the FLAC file created from the Foobar reencoding was only 1.7GB then there's only one possible explanation: Foobar *must* have changed that data! There's no doubt about that.

Quote:
Moreover, as I already mentioned, the bitrate remained about the same at ~5000kbps, only the filesize shrunk dramatically. 5000kbps is a pretty normal bitrate for a flac encoded 24bit 48kHz 5.1 track that contains music (not for movie tracks).
That bitrate number has no meaning whatsoever. I'm not even sure what number 5000kbps is supposed to be. I mean a 24bit 48kHz 5.1 PCM track has a bitrate of 6912kbps. So if the bitrate is meant to describe the decoded PCM track it's wrong. And if it's supposed to describe the FLAC bitstream then it's wrong, too, cause there's no way that a 3.7GB has nearly the same bitstream bitrate compared to a 1.7GB track of the same runtime. If you think about it, that just doesn't make any sense...
Old 31st May 2008, 18:52   #4988  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Quote:
Ok, sounds good. How about:

(1) eac3to - development (bugs and improvements)
(2) eac3to - help (how to use etc)

?
Should posts that are questions but pertain to the workings of eac3to (such as how certain decoders work) be included in the development thread? If not the development thread is going to be very small.

EDIT: I'm beginning to think that this project might not be possible to implement because it would probably entail the mods actually having to break up a lot of posts into separate posts for the separate threads .

Last edited by saint-francis; 31st May 2008 at 19:08.
Old 31st May 2008, 23:14   #4989  |  Link
menlvd

how about supporting wave 64 files produced by Sony software?
Old 1st June 2008, 20:55   #4990  |  Link
Snowknight26

Is slowing down an AC3 stream supposed to make it 50% bigger?
Old 1st June 2008, 21:16   #4991  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

that seems to be the way it only works, yes
Old 1st June 2008, 21:31   #4992  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post
Should posts that are questions but pertain to the workings of eac3to (such as how certain decoders work) be included in the development thread? If not the development thread is going to be very small.
I think (valid) bug reports should be part of the development thread. Questions about how eac3to works rather not cause they have no effect whatsoever on the development of eac3to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post
EDIT: I'm beginning to think that this project might not be possible to implement because it would probably entail the mods actually having to break up a lot of posts into separate posts for the separate threads .
It's problematic. If all else fails you could put all posts which are full or part development into the development thread and the rest into the other thread. The development thread would probably still be smaller. The biggest problem might be my style of replying. I'm often replying in one big post to 10 people at once. Maybe in such a case such a monster reply should be copied to both threads? Don't know if that is even possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by menlvd View Post
Don't know how complicated they are. Do you have a sample? Do you also have information about the file format?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Is slowing down an AC3 stream supposed to make it 50% bigger?
The file size of an AC3 stream only depends on 2 things:

(1) runtime
(2) bitrate

Slowing down an AC3 stream increases the runtime, but only very slightly. So file size increases also very slightly. If you have a 50% size increase then obviously the bitrate you used for the new encoding is about twice as high as the bitrate of the original file. eac3to always uses 640kbps for new 5.1 encodings. If you want to save space you can force eac3to to use a lower bitrate - of course that goes on the cost of quality.
Old 1st June 2008, 21:37   #4993  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
eac3to always uses 640kbps for new 5.1 encodings.
As well as 2.0?

While I'm here, is there any possibility of adding some kind of error skipping switch? Would be very welcome for those that try to reencode badly authored streams.

Last edited by Snowknight26; 1st June 2008 at 21:39.
Old 2nd June 2008, 02:22   #4994  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Since main purpose of eac3to is to convert HD DVDs and Blu-ray Discs to matroska format,
It is? I thought it was primarily used to convert DTS/True HD - > AC3. That's what I use it for anyway.

By accident I selected the wrong stream today, which was a VC-1 video stream, and eac3to said it couldn't recognize the video stream. Which is okay with me, as I use it for audio conversion only, but if it can't handle VC-1 stream, I guess I won't be using it for video then. :)
Old 2nd June 2008, 02:36   #4995  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by menlvd
Don't know how complicated they are. Do you have a sample? Do you also have information about the file format?
You can see the WriteHeader routine in Encoder.cs from last BeHappy source code, with support for wav, w64 and rf64 headers. Only the header change the audio data is the same.

EDIT: Docs:
w64
rf64

Last edited by tebasuna51; 2nd June 2008 at 02:48.
Old 2nd June 2008, 06:59   #4996  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

eac3to is unable to demux MP2 audio from .ts
http://x264.nl/h.264.samples/force.p...xe.hd.ateme.ts
http://x264.nl/h.264.samples/force.p...e=./arte.hd.ts
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:07   #4997  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarian View Post
It is? I thought it was primarily used to convert DTS/True HD - > AC3. That's what I use it for anyway.

By accident I selected the wrong stream today, which was a VC-1 video stream, and eac3to said it couldn't recognize the video stream. Which is okay with me, as I use it for audio conversion only, but if it can't handle VC-1 stream, I guess I won't be using it for video then.
I am talking for the present, not the past. First thing eac3to was able to do was to decode E-AC3 tracks (eac3to is called, isn't it?)

If you accidentally chose the VC-1 stream (instead of an audio one, let's say) then you did something wrong, not eac3to. Post the log and don't jump into conclusions like "eac3to can't handle vc-1". What all these people using eac3to with vc-1 streams would think of you?
Old 2nd June 2008, 19:47   #4998  |  Link
Tyrod

Where might one purchase ("Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.3" DirectShow filter). I have (Easy Media Creator 10) and it isn't part of that.
Old 2nd June 2008, 19:58   #4999  |  Link
Jong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrod View Post
Where might one purchase ("Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.3" DirectShow filter). I have (Easy Media Creator 10) and it isn't part of that.
I think it is. At least I too have EMC10 and I have it. I cannot think of anywhere else it would have come from. How have you checked?
Old 2nd June 2008, 20:02   #5000  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
If you accidentally chose the VC-1 stream (instead of an audio one, let's say) then you did something wrong, not eac3to.
Yes, that's what the term "accidentally" implied. Just one of them occassions where I copy & pasted a line with eac3to in it that had the wrong stream number for the new file. No big deal.

Quote:
Post the log and don't jump into conclusions like "eac3to can't handle vc-1". What all these people using eac3to with vc-1 streams would think of you?
They'd probably think I accidentally selected a wrong stream once, that it complained about not being able to handle that stream (likely because I added audio commands on the same line, which naturally don't apply to a vid stream); and that, since I wasn't gonna do video with eac3to anyway, that finding out the why of it had not my highest priority.

But seriously, I didn't mean to offend the eac3 folks: it's a heck of a good program, even if you only use it for audio.

Tags
eac3to