Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th March 2019, 05:56   #55281  |  Link
TheProfosist

I have gotten the stutter to stop but I had to default the settings for madVR which I was trying to avoid since I had spent some time getting my setting optimized and groups and shortcuts setup for my remote.

Now I need to rebuild my settings option by option and monitor for issues. @tp4tissue seemes like you have the settings for your 1060 nailed down think you could send some screenshots over or something just so I can see how yours compares to what I had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I read somewhere about a Windows 10 update that was affecting games and maybe video, did you just update ? change drivers etc...

The way you explain it is as if something has changed recently ?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...ring-in-games/
Nah its been since I have moved to Win10. I also did a clean install not an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Use D3D11 auto/native in LAV Filter.
Turn off SM in madVR.
Match refresh rates using madVR for all resolutions in 2160p only.
Add 2 blank folders to madVR install directory named ShowHdrMode and ShowRenderSteps.
Link a screen shot of your OSD.

Slow pans should be butter smooth with absolutely no hitches in the giddy up at all. No judder, no blur, no dropped/repeated frames. Nothing but bliss no matter the resolution. Opening scene of Cowboys and Aliens or opening credits of The Wrestler are my go to test subjects.

If I may ask why D3D11 in lavvideo not cuvid?

Also why no smooth motion? Comes in handy when there an odd framrate or something. Not a huge deal when on the HTPC with a TV since it has 23,25,29,50,59 but with the correct setting it won't activate unless needed

Also what are the folders for/what do they do?

and yes it should be butter smooth and not stutter at all this is the experience I have had and did up until my recent clean install to Win10 and upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Sounds like an OS/Driver issue. You should revert to your last good backup/System Restore point.
This is on a clean install with latest driver and build of Win10 so I could properly make use of the new hardware and software features.

I did carry over my madVR folder though in hopes that I wouldn't have to reconfigure it.
TheProfosist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 06:00   #55282  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfosist View Post

I did carry over my madVR folder though in hopes that I wouldn't have to reconfigure it.
Keep a copy of that folder but do test madvr set with defaults also.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 10:52   #55283  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by border.community View Post
Anybody have thoughts on why mpc-hc is freezing during 4k HDR 24p playback? Some movies i can get through no problems but others it can crash every 20 minutes or so. I thought 1050ti was good enough so trying to rule out the card as the problem---otherwise was thinking need to go 1060 or higher.

-1050ti 4gb
-HDR passthrough
-NGU AA med
-D3D11 FSE
-all trade quality for performance unchecked
-smooth motion off
-gpu/cpu queue size 12
-presenting 8 frames in advance
-nothing under "processing" folder turned on
-win10
-ryzen 5
I recently upgraded from a 1050 myself, but I found bringing the Q sizes down made it more stable for frame drops and the likes, but I never had crashes, this does sound more hardware orientated with overclocking as has been said. Something like 8/4/4 helped, I do have to say though upgrading to a used 1070 has changed everything, I am finding I am putting everything on high just to push it, having 8GB instead of 2GB onboard memory makes all the difference as well in my case.

Last edited by madjock; 11th March 2019 at 10:56.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 15:57   #55284  |  Link
Siso

Do you guys use anti-bloating filter (100%) with downscaling SSIM 1D 100%?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 15:59   #55285  |  Link
el Filou

Crashes always indicate system instability. A system that cannot keep up with madVR just drops frames but should not crash.
Also, a system that plays smooth at the beginning of a movie for a few minutes but starts dropping frames later is not because madVR settings are too high but because system components are thermal throttling or not keeping up with buffering (problems with storage/network).
Old 11th March 2019, 21:51   #55286  |  Link
zaemon

Hello,

So I just finished to setup my new rig and I'm really struggling to get back madVR playback to what it was before. I went from a GTX 1080 to an RTX 2080 Ti and from an i5 6400 to an i9 9900k. With the new rig I'm getting stuttering in full screen in every configuration I could think of. I basically tried everything. From the decoder to the renderer to the OS. In every configuration I got excellent to decent average render times (10 ms). The problem is the max render time which is very high (usually above 60 ms). I could be wrong but with the old rig I don't think I ever experienced such bad max render times. What is weird is that I have no dropped frames. I'm kinda limited with drivers because RTX is not supported with old drivers. I tried to install the one I think I was using before but it cannot be done.

It would be great if you had any kind of idea. 1080p playback is barely okay but UHD playback is just not watchable at the moment. In the past everything was running smooth with 3D LUT, HDR tone mapping and even some upscaling/zoom control. Something's really off but aside from the max render times, all looks good to me.

Thanks.
zaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 22:21   #55287  |  Link
tp4tissue

Try older drivers first.
Old 11th March 2019, 22:30   #55288  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfosist View Post
Now I need to rebuild my settings option by option and monitor for issues. @tp4tissue seemes like you have the settings for your 1060 nailed down think you could send some screenshots over or something just so I can see how yours compares to what I had?
There's nothing to screen shot

The settings in my previous post is on the latest test build with the new HDR tweaks which are (more heavy, by 5-9ms) than the 92.17 official release.

They're set for 24p material, output to 4K TV, 24 cpu queue, 16 gpu

I tweaked each of the settings up until avg rendertime reach ~30-37ms/

(this is purposeful) such that it will not skip frames.

If the average was pushed closer to 41, then the peaks much greater than 41 may cause dropped frames.

This is a 6gb evga 1060 ftw+, 2.1ghz core 9ghz vram

Last edited by tp4tissue; 11th March 2019 at 22:33.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 22:32   #55289  |  Link
Nicog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Try older drivers first.
Hi Everyone,

I have exactly same issue. What driver number do you suggest?

My config : I7 7700 + RTX2070, last Windows, last MadVR, last Nvidia drivers.

I tried also almost everything. Sometimes FSE works, sometimes not (I don't know why!)

The stangest thing is that if, with the mouse, I show the seek bar, or show contextual menu (right clic), no sluttering at all !!!
Nicog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 22:36   #55290  |  Link
tp4tissue

Weird issue, enabling BBD on latest test build causes significant performance loss on 4K HDR remuxes. Without BBD it runs fine.
Old 11th March 2019, 22:38   #55291  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicog View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have exactly same issue. What driver number do you suggest?

My config : I7 7700 + RTX2070, last Windows, last MadVR, last Nvidia drivers.

I tried also almost everything. Sometimes FSE works, sometimes not (I don't know why!)

The stangest thing is that if, with the mouse, I show the seek bar, or show contextual menu (right clic), no sluttering at all !!!
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013

If that doesn't work

There was also someone else who reported that Windows updated something recently which caused refreshrate mis-mash of some sort which caused stutter in madvr.
Old 11th March 2019, 23:27   #55292  |  Link
Nicog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013

If that doesn't work

There was also someone else who reported that Windows updated something recently which caused refreshrate mis-mash of some sort which caused stutter in madvr.
Thanks,

I just read all the topic mensioned, and I didn't found any recommended driver for RTX cards...

Sorry but what is BBD?
Nicog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 23:50   #55293  |  Link
zaemon

At 60 Hz it runs smooth aside from the frame repeat every 40 sec. With Smooth Motion on I think I can live with it. Probably some kind of driver issue. Stuttering is occuring with auto framerate and 23-24 Hz material.
zaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 00:22   #55294  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Do you guys use anti-bloating filter (100%) with downscaling SSIM 1D 100%?
Most don't based on what I've seen. These are all personal choices..
Who cares what other people run with minor settings such as these? I'd never blindly set options without evaluating their results..
Your opinion is the only thing that matters at the end of the day.

Last edited by ryrynz; 12th March 2019 at 07:20.
Old 12th March 2019, 00:30   #55295  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaemon View Post
At 60 Hz it runs smooth aside from the frame repeat every 40 sec. With Smooth Motion on I think I can live with it. Probably some kind of driver issue. Stuttering is occuring with auto framerate and 23-24 Hz material.
with SM the number is still calculated but it should never happen.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 03:35   #55296  |  Link
tp4tissue

Did madshi ever explain why Nvidi is better at NGU ?
Old 12th March 2019, 04:23   #55297  |  Link
huhn

no he didn't he was pretty disappointed when in my performance report form a RX 480 back then and it's not like you look at the code and know why. and NGU isn't generally better with nvidia is just that polaris has problem with it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 09:21   #55298  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Long time since I've been in here, so may I ask if Madshi has stopped development of MadVr for the time beeing? It's been over 5 months since version 0.92.17 came out now.
Old 12th March 2019, 10:24   #55299  |  Link
ryrynz

You should've used search before asking this, he's in deep development of HDR tone mapping.
If you wish you can follow development here
This has been mentioned many multiple times, you're a semi regular here, did you forget or something?
Might see a final release in April.

Last edited by ryrynz; 12th March 2019 at 10:26.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:18   #55300  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
You should've used search before asking this, he's in deep development of HDR tone mapping.
If you wish you can follow development here
This has been mentioned many multiple times, you're a semi regular here, did you forget or something?
Might see a final release in April.
I was semi regular here. Ohh sorry, I asked the same question I did 6 months ago... how rude of me

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling