Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 29th July 2018, 10:20   #21  |  Link
Gser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
@Dion... many people are still using Avisynth, which is not outdated, it's simply developed in a different branch with a different approach. I hope that proper High Bit Depth will be introduced in Avisynth one day, so we won't have to use 16bit stacked/interleaved anymore. Besides, there are many people that are still using Avisynth 2.6.1 alpha and are waiting for the beta and the stable. It's been out in alpha for years now and is about time to move to beta, but... you know... Avisynth development takes ages, so...

Anyway, end of OT.
Yeah the old normal Avisynth has pretty much stopped development because IT IS an antiquated piece of software. There is absolutely no reason to introduce high bit depth support into avisynth because the whole point of avs+ was to move away from the avs. "A lot" of people are still using windows xp but that in no way is a justification to use it. This type of justification is known as Argumentum ad populum. The only reasons to use the old avisynth is either/or ignorance and/or stubbornness.
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 10:21   #22  |  Link
ChaosKing

Quote:
I hope that proper High Bit Depth will be introduced in Avisynth one day, so we won't have to use 16bit stacked/interleaved anymore.
Uhm ... Avisynth+ !?
Old 29th July 2018, 10:39   #23  |  Link
Groucho2004
Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gser View Post
Yeah the old normal Avisynth has pretty much stopped development because IT IS an antiquated piece of software. There is absolutely no reason to introduce high bit depth support into avisynth because the whole point of avs+ was to move away from the avs. "A lot" of people are still using windows xp but that in no way is a justification to use it.
What does using Avisynth and/or AVS+ have to do with WinXP?
Old 29th July 2018, 19:58   #24  |  Link
Dion

Quote:
@Dion... many people are still using Avisynth, which is not outdated, it's simply developed in a different branch with a different approach. I hope that proper High Bit Depth will be introduced in Avisynth one day, so we won't have to use 16bit stacked/interleaved anymore. Besides, there are many people that are still using Avisynth 2.6.1 alpha and are waiting for the beta and the stable. It's been out in alpha for years now and is about time to move to beta, but... you know... Avisynth development takes ages, so...

Anyway, end of OT.
It is outdated.. You're asking for a feature on a new plugin to work with old copies of Avisynth. Avisynth+ supports what you're asking. Time to upgrade sir.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 22:15   #25  |  Link
Groucho2004
Fossil

Quote:
I hope that proper High Bit Depth will be introduced in Avisynth one day, so we won't have to use 16bit stacked/interleaved anymore.
I wouldn't bet on this to ever come true.
Old 29th July 2018, 22:29   #26  |  Link
ObenS

Quote:
Originally Posted by real.finder View Post
yes, I already know, I said that to mention that cuda is not for all people not the opencl which work even without gpu at all (with just cpu) in many cpu's see here

and there are many people that use servers or RDP account on shared server for encoding and others and those servers don't has nvidia or don't even has gpu at all most of times! not mention laptop's users that don't has nvidia most of times too, in desktop world I think there are many nvidia users if they are not the most of desktop's users, but nowdays many people don't use desktop's, so make the filter work only with cuda (nvidia) mean most people will not able to use it

edit: where did the ObenS post go!
I deleted my post because I misread your sentence about OpenCL.

There is this interface called HiP, where programmers can port CUDA code to work on OpenCL hardware. I think porting to OpenCL should be easier now (?)

There was an attempt to integrate CUDA into VapourSynth with similar intentions as OP's in 2012.

Last edited by ObenS; 30th July 2018 at 01:11. Reason: changes
ObenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 00:32   #27  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:

Anyway, end of OT.
Nobody is working on vanilla Avisynth anymore, as far as I know. It's dead. It's not even possible to update the source code repository anymore, since Sourceforge made CVS repositories read-only last year. Nobody has even attempted to convert it to git or svn or to move it anywhere else. Even when it was active there were no plans announced for high bit depth support in the vanilla version - IIRC IanB even explicitly stated at some point that he wasn't going to do it. Might be somewhat academic though since IanB hasn't really been active here for five years now (last posted in October 2013).

The only active version at the moment is Avs+, and that only has one developer working on it (pinterf).

Last edited by TheFluff; 30th July 2018 at 00:37.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 22:41   #28  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
I'm working on an idea called CUDASynth, which will pipeline filters on the GPU, thereby avoiding very large frame copies GPU<->CPU. Maybe after that is done I'll give up everything.
Someone (nekopanda) started a avisynth+ CUDA fork version, with a few CUDA enabled filters like QTGMC, NNEDI3. Maybe parts of it can be useful, or you could work together ?
https://github.com/nekopanda/AviSynthCUDAFilters
https://github.com/nekopanda/AviSynthPlus/releases

Thanks for the contributions, both past and present
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 23:18   #29  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Someone (nekopanda) started a avisynth+ CUDA fork version, with a few CUDA enabled filters like QTGMC, NNEDI3. Maybe parts of it can be useful, or you could work together ?
https://github.com/nekopanda/AviSynthCUDAFilters
https://github.com/nekopanda/AviSynthPlus/releases

Thanks for the contributions, both past and present
I already did mentioned it some posts ago

and I don't think videoh will work with nekopanda since videoh mentioned that he will not share any cuda code in previous posts
Old 31st July 2018, 02:22   #30  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by real.finder View Post
I already did mentioned it some posts ago

and I don't think videoh will work with nekopanda since videoh mentioned that he will not share any cuda code in previous posts
d'oh! sorry, I should have read earlier posts more clearly

carry on...
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 03:59   #31  |  Link
videoh

I also said after a certain point I may give up everything. At this time I can't find any documentation that simply says what his stuff is all about, how it works, etc. Is there a Doom9 thread about it anywhere? Anything else?

I started work on the Vapoursynth version today, BTW.

Last edited by videoh; 31st July 2018 at 04:01.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2018, 09:53   #32  |  Link
TomArrow

How does this plugin compare to the DGTonemap one? Can the Hable coefficients be used in this one too or is it an entirely different algorithm?
TomArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2018, 10:12   #33  |  Link
videoh

It's completely different and Hable is not supported. For further details you can follow the development thread about it at the DG forum.
Old 10th August 2018, 00:31   #34  |  Link
TomArrow

Thank you. I feel stupid for asking, but what is the DG Forum? Google doesn't help.
TomArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 01:27   #35  |  Link
Zetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomArrow View Post
Thank you. I feel stupid for asking, but what is the DG Forum? Google doesn't help.
http://rationalqm.us/board/index.php
Zetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 02:24   #36  |  Link
videoh

Dual Avisynth+/Vapoursynth native version released:

http://rationalqm.us/hdr/DGHDRtoSDR_1.9.rar
Old 6th September 2018, 01:57   #37  |  Link
ChaosKing

Maybe an additional check, that ensures that only YUV420 will pass, could be added? Currently YUV444 and other combinations are possible and the output looks broken. (no error msg)

Tested with v1.9
Code:
clip = clip.resize.Bicubic(format=vs.YUV444P16)
clip = clip.dghdrtosdr.DGHDRtoSDR( impl="sw")
Old 6th September 2018, 13:04   #38  |  Link
videoh

Thought I had a check. Will check and correct. Thank you.

EDIT: I slipstreamed version 1.9 with the fix.

Last edited by videoh; 6th September 2018 at 14:31.
Old 7th September 2018, 12:32   #39  |  Link
hydra3333

thank you. getting excited about CUDASynth (in VS - I am unsure if understand it, is it a separate runtime environment ?)
hydra3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2018, 13:09   #40  |  Link
videoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
thank you. getting excited about CUDASynth (in VS - I am unsure if understand it, is it a separate runtime environment ?)
No, it will work with standard Avisynth/Vapoursynth. I describe the design at my forum in the CUDASynth thread.

http://rationalqm.us/board/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=671