Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 1st December 2021, 12:38   #1  |  Link
darkflux

MPEG-2 Demuxing/Remuxing Revisited

i have been using TMPGEnc for this for decades, but they keep adding new unnecessary bulk to their program. and also, it is expensive as heck! i know that there are many free options out there, and i have tried most of them at this point, but there are rare scenarios in which they will not work for the source VOBs i feed them.

to explain further, my sources often vary wildly from each other. everything from unencrypted DVDs, to old Sony Handcam mini DVDs, to old DVD Recorder finalized discs, and more. but whenever i try to use a free tool, it seems like there is some issue with the resulting MPG file, that it won't load into whatever program i need it to without throwing a hissy fit. whether that program is something like Sony DVD Architect or just some other freeware like DVD Styler.

also, SOME of these VOBs may have multiple audio streams, and many demuxers don't give you an option of what to demux/mux. it's all or nothing, and many only support demuxing a single audio source.

so i am curious what the de facto standard software (free or paid) was that most of you use now. the newest article i could find (even on Google) was from 2013, so i am not sure if that is even still accurate, as even the old version of TMPGEnc that i currently use is newer than that.

just looking for a concensus. thanks.

Last edited by darkflux; 1st December 2021 at 12:43.
darkflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2021, 18:08   #2  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Try this:- https://www.videohelp.com/software/TMPGEnc
I think it was free for Mpeg1 use, but 30 day trial for Mpeg2,
the demux/remux parts did not (I think) expire with the trial [also worked OK for mpeg2 even when trial expired].
(I've not used it since about 2004).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2021, 21:51   #3  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

DVD Ripping: SmartRipper 2.41, (can also demux), RipIt4Me.
More advanced DVD demuxing: PGCDemux 1.2.0.5 m03
Muxing: Muxman (0/$), DVDLabPro ($$), Sony DVD-Architect Pro ($$$)
Pegasys TAW4, TAW5 ($$) to go from decrypted DVD to DVD

Last edited by Emulgator; 1st December 2021 at 22:14.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2021, 04:24   #4  |  Link
darkflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Try this:- https://www.videohelp.com/software/TMPGEnc
I think it was free for Mpeg1 use, but 30 day trial for Mpeg2,
the demux/remux parts did not (I think) expire with the trial [also worked OK for mpeg2 even when trial expired].
(I've not used it since about 2004).
as i said, i already have a newer version of TMPGEnc, which actually, i had to get because the old version i had since WinXP suddenly stopped working with the latest update of Win7, and now that version doesn't work on Win10. so i would be utterly shocked if the OLD verson worked on 10. though if anyone wants to try, please let me know the results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
DVD Ripping: SmartRipper 2.41, (can also demux), RipIt4Me.
More advanced DVD demuxing: PGCDemux 1.2.0.5 m03
Muxing: Muxman (0/$), DVDLabPro ($$), Sony DVD-Architect Pro ($$$)
Pegasys TAW4, TAW5 ($$) to go from decrypted DVD to DVD
....SmartRipper can DEMUX??? i have used it for pulling individual chapters from DVDs, but had no idea it could demux. can you tell me how that works? and can it demux standalone VOBs that are NOT on a DVD disc? because i will need to do that, too...

if i remember correctly, that was the problem i had with PGCDemux: you needed the IFO files on the DVD, and at that time, i had only some VOB files. i really need a muxer that can handle BOTH (TMPGEnc can).

also, according to this article, DVD Architect cannot handle VOB files:
https://forums.afterdawn.com/threads...hitect.377775/

unless it was a feature added in a future release. in which case, could you tell me how it is done? because i do not see that option when i select a VOB. also, i am not talking about copying a DVD. i have other software for that. i am talking about ripping chapters as VOBs, then adding them to a NEW DVD project (as MPGs). so any software that just copies from a DVD to another won't do what i need.

i need to be able to demux/remux standalone VOB files...i guess i didn't explicitly say that in my original post. sorry.

and i don't see in the ripit4me guide anywhere it even mentions muxing...

Last edited by darkflux; 3rd December 2021 at 04:28.
darkflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2021, 06:27   #5  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

DGIndex from the DGMPGDec package might be useful here.

http://rationalqm.us/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html
Old 3rd December 2021, 13:41   #6  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
i had to get because the old version i had since WinXP suddenly stopped working with the latest update of Win7, and now that version doesn't work on Win10. so i would be utterly shocked if the OLD verson worked on 10. though if anyone wants to try, please let me know the results!
May be just a case of having to use install with "Compatability mode", click on the installer exe "Properties".

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 21:26   #7  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Quote:
....SmartRipper can DEMUX??? i have used it for pulling individual chapters from DVDs, but had no idea it could demux. can you tell me how that works? and can it demux standalone VOBs that are NOT on a DVD disc? because i will need to do that, too...
Yes it does, Ripping from complete folder is possible, IFOs provided.

(No IFOs: no PGC/angle/chapter/cell navigation possible.
Still you may binary concatenate the VOBs, demux that (VOBEdit) and live with the results.)

SR cries "No DVD found !", you tick that away and just browse to your folder path using the folder icon.
3 Modes: Movie is yours, you can split by Angles, chapter and cells.
2nd Register tab: Stream Processing -> Enable Stream Processing etc. -> Demux to extra file or Extract to new VOB
DVD-A will indeed not remux from .VOBs, there is no demuxing capability.
Implementing proper demuxing would take the whole route anyway which SR and PGC Demux are already on.

Last edited by Emulgator; 5th December 2021 at 21:37.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote