Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th March 2018, 11:15   #49621  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You still cannot request a bitdepth when you switch resolution, no.

Just wait for HDMI 2.1 to solve those annoying limitations. This always was a known short-coming of HDMI 2.0, and that it somehow happened to work by setting a bitdepth in the NVIDIA CP that doesn't actually work in all modes was more luck then by design.
Everyone blames NVIDIA for this stuff not working, but they never consider that it maybe was never meant to work like this in the first place. The way to set this up is rather unintuitive, clearly not something that was meant to be used this way. Its not "broken" if it wasn't meant to ever function like this.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 20th March 2018 at 11:19.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 11:37   #49622  |  Link
Budtz

Do we know if hdmi 2.1 will come to nvidia cards. Dosnt it compete Ageinst there own sync software?

I feel many of the problems we have with htpc is becouse hdmi is horrible. Wouldnt hdmi 2.1 also finally rid us of all the sync problems, using reclock ect?
Old 20th March 2018, 13:07   #49623  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The primary advantage of HDMI 2.1 is increased bandwidth. Thats all thats really important. Finally you can use 4k@60Hz RGB with 10/12-bit without troubles.

Variable Refresh Rate rendering using any technology is unlikely to come to madVR anytime soon (or maybe ever). Using a VSYNC interrupt at a fixed rate has quite a lot of advantages for more accurate scheduling.
Personally I don't really expect many TVs to even adopt that.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 20th March 2018 at 13:23.
Old 20th March 2018, 14:26   #49624  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
I feel many of the problems we have with htpc is becouse hdmi is horrible. Wouldnt hdmi 2.1 also finally rid us of all the sync problems, using reclock ect?
As far as I know, HDMI 2.1 won't do anything to solve the sync problems you refer to. In a PC you'll keep on having a video clock and an audio clock that are usually slightly out of sync. Hence the need for custom resolution/refresh rates.

To this day I can't understand why we can't have what normal CE devices have, especially with audio onboard of graphic cards, nowadays.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 15:40   #49625  |  Link
Budtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
As far as I know, HDMI 2.1 won't do anything to solve the sync problems you refer to. In a PC you'll keep on having a video clock and an audio clock that are usually slightly out of sync. Hence the need for custom resolution/refresh rates.

To this day I can't understand why we can't have what normal CE devices have, especially with audio onboard of graphic cards, nowadays.
I was hoping that varriable refreshrate would enable the screen to sync up to whatever cadence the pc outputs without handshaking. if is something strange like 24.2013p the screen just adopts to that without handshaking. tv just shows whatever. switches from 60p to 24p without handshaking every time or it having to be specifik cadence to not have stutters.
Old 20th March 2018, 15:44   #49626  |  Link
Warner306

Older drivers had no issue with multiple bit depth selection. I think this feature is simply broken. Why does it work until you reboot? It is obviously possible to make this happen, and it used to happen even after a reboot.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 16:12   #49627  |  Link
bran

I have madVR set to "HDR Passthrough". In the OSD I see madVR converting BT2020 -> DCI-P3 for UHD HDR BT2020 material. Is this correct, and if that's the case, why? Monitor set to BT2020 calibrated.
Old 20th March 2018, 17:35   #49628  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
How do I get my display to always use 12bit when at 24hz, but 8 bit when at 60hz? I've gone into my NVIDIA drivers, selected 24hz/12bit, and then I can swap back and forth between 60hz/24hz and it remembers the setting correctly. However, soon as I restart it forgets and starts using 24hz/8bit again.?
I've brought this up in other forums and you are not alone. Though most folks stated they have no problems with newer drivers, others disagree concluding they didn't know they had the problem until tested and doesn't apply to them because they only use 60Hz refresh rate. Those of us matching rates are affected. It's been present a very long time. Use 385.28. Use enable nvidia 3d.reg in your madVR folder. Use FSE for 3D and HDR. Create profiles so other content uses windowed, not that it matters much. I use this rule for PROCESSING and SCALING (thank you Warner):

if (srcWidth > 1920) "2160p"
else if (srcWidth <= 1920) and (srcHeight > 1080) "2160p"

else if (srcWidth > 1280) and (srcWidth <= 1920) "1080p"
else if (srcWidth <= 1280) and ((srcHeight > 720) and (srcHeight <= 1080)) "1080p"

else if (srcWidth > 960) and (srcWidth <= 1280) "720p"
else if (srcWidth <= 960) and ((srcHeight > 540) and (srcHeight <= 720)) "720p"

else if (srcWidth <= 960) and (srcHeight <= 540) "SD"

and this rule for RENDERING (thank you Manni)

if (3D) "3D"
else if (srcWidth <= 720) and (srcHeight <= 576)"SD"
else if (srcWidth <= 1280) and (srcHeight <= 720)"720p"
else if (srcWidth <= 1920) and (srcHeight <= 1080)"1080p"
else if (srcWidth <= 3840) and (srcHeight <= 2160)"2160p"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
Another question... Setting MadVR to automatically enable 3D when playing 3D content doesn't seem to work. The checkbox in NVIDIA drivers is still unchecked and there's no 3D. If I manually check the NVIDIA 3D box before watching a 3D movie, then I get 3D. Any way to fix?
Stereoscopic remains engaged global until you play an HDR title. Entering that mode disengages stereoscopic and doesn't reengage it. Stereoscopic also disagrees with 2D playback in subtle MPC player regards so the object is to turn off stereoscopic prior to 2D playback and engage it prior to 3D. madVR 'when playing 3D content (engage)' does not work for me. So, to automate the process I initiate a .bat file started by my front end, KODI, using its playercorefactory.xml. (thank you Bluray for the initial strategy) These files can be used for various players.

Set file=%1
Set dummy=%file:iso=%
IF NOT %dummy% == %file% (GOTO playiso) ELSE (goto playbdmv)

: playbdmv
set pth=%1
set pth=%pth:BDMV\MovieObject.bdmv=%
set pth=%pth:BDMV\index.bdmv=%
"C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe" %pth% exit
exit

: playiso
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 %1
"C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe" A:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 /u
exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The driver is broken for bit depth selection. It breaks on reboot. Nvidia should be made aware of this.

For 3D, did you try full screen exclusive mode? Some Nvidia users swear it’s necessary for 3D playback. I don’t think it’s a prerequisite. I don’t use 3D.
Stereoscopic does not engage windowed although the 2D picture renders. FSE is needed. After stereoscopic is initiated in FSE, if you manually window it, sometimes stereoscopic remains, sometimes it doesn't. No idea why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
I have same problem on bit depth selection on nvidia. Used to work fine upto 385.28 I think.

For 3D, you can create a profile with the 3D rule, which runs a batch file to enable nvidia 3D on startup of the profile. The batch file was posted on this forum a while back I believe. To automatically disable, I use the disable batch file on the non 3D profile startup.

The main command to enable is:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable
How did you get the .bat to initiate from madVR exactly? Perhaps I can bypass my front end to initiate it although it won't do me any good for other players like PDVD. To auto disable, madVR 'when playing 2d content: disable os stereo' works in this regard for me. Just doesn't work in the 'engage' aspect for me. Don't need a .bat for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Yea, I gave up on this and just leave it at 12bit at all times. It would be awesome if madVR could do this switch because nvidia control panel fails at this simple task.
Until you reboot. Then it isn't at 12bit at all times. I don't think it's a simple task. It just happened to work with older drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You still cannot request a bitdepth when you switch resolution, no.

Just wait for HDMI 2.1 to solve those annoying limitations. This always was a known short-coming of HDMI 2.0, and that it somehow happened to work by setting a bitdepth in the NVIDIA CP that doesn't actually work in all modes was more luck then by design.
Everyone blames NVIDIA for this stuff not working, but they never consider that it maybe was never meant to work like this in the first place. The way to set this up is rather unintuitive, clearly not something that was meant to be used this way. Its not "broken" if it wasn't meant to ever function like this.
What is an example of the auto bit depth not switching when there is a resolution change above and below 30Hz that does not work in all modes?

I doubt I will be upgrading all my hardware to HDMI 2.1 for so little in return. Seems I just did it for HDMI 2.0. When it becomes a big enough detriment and I miss out on can't live without functionality, I will consider another upgrade.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 17:51   #49629  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Until you reboot. Then it isn't at 12bit at all times. I don't think it's a simple task. It just happened to work with older drivers.
There was some bug that messed it up after reboot a couple of drivers ago, but with the last 2 drivers it seems to stick after reboot.

On the other side they completely broke the Custom Resolutions in the last 3 driver releases. Nothing sticks. Reboot or no reboot.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 18:00   #49630  |  Link
Warner306

It would be nice if someone could clarify the requirements for 3D. I always try to pass this on to others. It started out much simpler.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 18:35   #49631  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
It would be nice if someone could clarify the requirements for 3D. I always try to pass this on to others. It started out much simpler.
Apparently different things work for different people. There is no clear works-for-everyone explanation. For me 3D even works without FSE, despite everyone claiming otherwise above. Then again I don't actually use 3D beyond testing if it still works.
It also auto-switches the flag on and off properly.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 20th March 2018 at 19:08.
Old 20th March 2018, 18:50   #49632  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
As far as what? Assuming you play 2D, SBS and TAB require nothing more than a 3D display. Containers are where complications arise, mainly frame packed MVC.

A 3D.mkv will still play anywhere a 2D will but you will not have menus. A 3D.iso (frame packed IE) requires a compliant player. MPC players are compliant using madVR + LAV Filter decoding without menus. PDVD is the only other player afaik and it's with menus. A way to mount the iso is a consideration. W10 has this built in. Other O/S's do not. Some players have a built in virtual mount, some don't and require one is added and to mount and dismount automatically. Either way, both use a drive letter visible or invisible.

With AMD, it's reported their drivers sort everything out properly and automatically. Whether or not this is true or other caveats remain, I do not know.

Intel graphics requires HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 is not backwards compatible. Considering UHD requires 2.0 minimum, users have to choose one or the other or manually swap ports.

Nvidia requires stereoscopic enabled globally (Windows O/S) AND NVidia control panel stereoscopic enabled. I assume madVR 'when playing 3D content (engage)' is global only) and why I need to use a .bat (front end initiated for automation) to auto switch instead of manual switch nvstlink.exe aka stereoscopic in NCP.

FSE vs windowed is hit or miss recommending FSE works for everyone and windowed works for some only. May be specific to GPU versions and not necessarily shared drivers.

Can't think of anything else pertinent unless you have a specific question?

Last edited by brazen1; 20th March 2018 at 19:10.
Old 20th March 2018, 19:04   #49633  |  Link
brazen1

While on the subject of madVR not enabling stereoscopic at driver level or NVidia drivers doing what they should so external means doesn't have to pick up the slack, you are familiar with DSPlayer, a popular front end said to perform pretty flawless. In this stereoscopic automated aspect, does it perform? If not, can a playercorefactory be used with DSP like it can with the official version?
Old 20th March 2018, 19:39   #49634  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran View Post
I have madVR set to "HDR Passthrough". In the OSD I see madVR converting BT2020 -> DCI-P3 for UHD HDR BT2020 material. Is this correct, and if that's the case, why? Monitor set to BT2020 calibrated.
It's not converted to DCI-P3. It just lets you know that the content was mastered to DCI-P3 using a BT-2020 container. So you are correct to use a BT2020 calibration.

I suggested to Madshi to change the sign he uses to convey this information, as I think it is confusing to many users, but for some reason he didn't think it was confusing so it's stayed like that because he is the boss .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
There was some bug that messed it up after reboot a couple of drivers ago, but with the last 2 drivers it seems to stick after reboot.

On the other side they completely broke the Custom Resolutions in the last 3 driver releases. Nothing sticks. Reboot or no reboot.
It would be nice if people could refrain from making blanket statements such as this. Yes, new drivers often break things for some. Yes, sometimes they break things for the majority.

But as far as I'm concerned, the latest 390.x drivers work fine, at least in 4K. I'm set to 4K23p with a custom refresh mode created by MadVR giving me a frame drop every 1-2 hours, and I use RGB 12bits 4:4:4. When I play 4K60p, the driver swaps automatically to 8bits 4:4:4. That survives a reboot and works fine here, as it has always done.

There are two limitations that I am aware of:

1) Like all the drivers after 285.28, you have to select 12bits from a non custom refresh mode. Once a custom refresh mode is selected, the resolution is greyed out and can't be changed, but it's still 12bits in 23p and 8bits in 60p if 12bits was selected from a non-custom refresh mode (at 30p max).

2) Compatibility is broken with Asio4all and most Asio drivers. Thanks to a kind member, I was able to find Flexasio, which works fine with some limitations.

So instead of making blanket statements simply because it doesn't work for you, please post details about your rig (OS version and build, GPU model, driver version) so that we can see if there is a common link between those for whom 390.x works fine, and those for whom 390.x doesn't work.

My rig is detailed in my sig.

By the way, 391.24 was just released today, I'm about to try it.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 20th March 2018 at 19:46.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 19:50   #49635  |  Link
brazen1

Perhaps the key to make it stick after reboot is that you are using custom resolutions and others are not, including myself. But if this makes the difference, I will be using custom resolutions, as much as I don't prefer to, in a heart beat.
Old 20th March 2018, 19:56   #49636  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Perhaps the key to make it stick after reboot is that you are using custom resolutions and others are not, including myself. But if this makes the difference, I will be using custom resolutions, as much as I don't prefer to, in a heart beat.
I'm not using custom resolutions, I'm using custom refresh mode created by MadVR. I can't think of any downside to doing this (apart from the fact that the custom mode is called 24p and not 23p, which can be confusing, but that's an nVidia bug).

Without a custom refresh mode, I get a frame drop every 5mn.

With a custom refresh mode, I get a frame drop every 1-2 hours.

Not really a question of choice, the GPU is unusable for video playback without it.

I also always do a DDU + Advanced/Clean install of the drivers, in case it helps. This means I re-create my custom refresh mode and set my parameters in NV CP after each driver install.

Last edited by Manni; 20th March 2018 at 20:06.
Old 20th March 2018, 20:15   #49637  |  Link
brazen1

Sorry. I admit my terminology ignorance at times. "Custom refresh modes". "Not really a question of choice, the GPU is unusable for video playback without it." That is a blanket statement, lol.
I've been using DDU advanced for my last 20 or so driver changes also. I reco it with you too. Good suggestion. I know how much work it is to clean, install, adjust, and test. And should it fail, do that all over again to revert. Would you be so kind as to report your findings back here on the new driver? I confess, I'm lazy today but a positive confirmation will motivate me and crossing fingers your success will reflect for myself especially regarding 3D (I know you require) and 8/12bit retention. TIA.
Old 20th March 2018, 20:17   #49638  |  Link
Manni

I've just made a note of the steps I follow to update the driver:

1) Reboot Windows in safe mode and run DDU to clean the old driver
2) Install the new driver with advanced / clean install
3) In NV control panel, select adaptive instead of optimal, set nvidia parameters to RGB Full 4:4:4 12bits and select 4K30p refresh rate (standard UHD resolution for me). Setup Digital Audio (7.1 or Atmos, disable all enhancements).
4) In MadVR display/custom modes tab, create a custom mode for 23p (follow the instructions in the first post to do this). I simply use the EDID/CTA set which gives me a frame drop every 1-2 hours, from a frame drop every 5mn with a standard resolution.
5) Reset the GPU with MadVR
6) Select the 4K23p custom mode (you might need to reboot before it appears in the list of custom resolutions). The bit depth is greyed out but it's still 12bits. You cannot change it with post 385.28 unless you select a standard mode, but it should switch to 8bits automatically if you play 60p content, and swap back to 12bits afterward. At least that's how it works here.
7) 3D only works here with batch files. Anything else doesn't stick, at least here. I also need FSE (only for 3D), otherwise, it switches to 1080p23FP but the picture is still in 2D. I provided the details of the batch files somewhere in this thread.

If this doesn't work for you, please provide the detail of your rig as requested earlier (OS version and build, GPU model and driver, HDMI version supported, default resolution / refresh rate) so we can see if there is a common pattern.

If it does work for you, please do the same. I'm hoping I'm not the only one for whom this works!

I have only tested this with a default resolution of 4K23p. It might not work with a default resolution of 1080p (although in this case you should be able to keep 12bits all the time, so not sure why there should be an issue).

Last edited by Manni; 20th March 2018 at 22:49.
Old 20th March 2018, 20:22   #49639  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
"Not really a question of choice, the GPU is unusable for video playback without it." That is a blanket statement, lol.
Correct
Old 20th March 2018, 22:17   #49640  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
I'm set to 4K23p with a custom refresh mode created by MadVR giving me a frame drop every 1-2 hours, and I use RGB 12bits 4:4:4. When I play 4K60p, the driver swaps automatically to 8bits 4:4:4.
Things are different for me: I don't use any custom refresh modes. For this particular test, you can see the result - no dropped frames. What you see logged is from the very start of the video. Also, I use the same RGB 8/12bit 4:4:4. Except when I play 4K60p, the driver swaps automatically to 10BIT 4:4:4, not 8bit in this video mode. Desktop mode snaps to 8bit to conform with Windows as it should. 10bit also snaps for all other resolutions such as 23/24/25 Hz when applicable. Note this is FSE with 59.940fps @60Hz. Never uploaded a file here so bear with me if it doesn't upload.

Here is a direct link. Maybe this will work?

https://i.imgur.com/QuV5CVT.jpg

Name:  QuV5CVT.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  161.8 KB

Last edited by brazen1; 21st March 2018 at 01:47.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling