Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 27th December 2009, 23:37   #1  |  Link
Blinky7

PROJECT:Replace subtitle stream in blu-ray keeping all else intact (menus etc)

OK, here's what my project is. I want to replace a subtitle stream in a bluray disc with one of my own, keeping everything else fully functional!

Let me give an example. Let's say I got the movie Dodgeball, ripped in my HDD. It has English/German/Spanish/Korean subs. But I would like to have Greek subs too, and I don't really care about the Korean ones. Now, ok sure I can take it to TSMuxer, remove the unneeded subs and also audio streams and add my greek SRT and get a resulting m2ts file/bluray structure folder. I;ve been doing this so far and it works kind of great.

But how about if I could also keep the original movie menus, extras and stuff? Can't I make it so that when someone chooses "Korean" subs in the menu, instead of korean he gets my greek subs while viewing? Shouldn't be that hard...after all, bluray subs are not text based so there are no character encoding problems, nor does the bluray player actually have any way to know which language the "pictures" it shows as subs. correspond to.

So I started experimenting. This is what I thought I'd try first:
I took a movie, "Match Point". It had 4 subtitle streams as BDinfo showd me. I decided to replace the german subs with the greek ones. So I loaded the playlist file that was the main movie to TSmuxer, also loaded my greek SRT and I only unchecked the DEU subs from the list, checked my SRT and gave it "DEU" language code, so the system would think they were the german subs. I even moved it up a bit in the list so it would be in the same position (no 3/4) as the original german sub, in case it mattered. Then I chose to get an .m2ts file as an output.

After it finished I named it 00004.m2ts as this was the original name in the movie folder and copied it over to the STREAM folder of my ripped movie to replace the original m2ts file. So everything else remained exact.

So I tried playing the movie, and to my surprised it actually worked as expected!!!

So, being happy I went on to try more movies. I tried Dodgeball, Wedding crashers and The notebook. Unfortunately all those failed. The result is a movie that starts, goes to the menu, but when you choose to play the actual movie, or a spesific scene, it shows nothing. The timer does go on and I can navigate to any position, but I get a blank screen, no sound nothing.

I figured out, the resulting m2ts file from TSmuxer has some specs that need to match with the original .clpi and .mpls files...and with the movie Match Point I just got lucky....

An I correct? And is there some utility I can use to make those 3 files match?
Is there anything else I am missing here?
Blinky7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clpi, m2ts, mpls, subtitles, tsmuxer