Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th December 2018, 13:17   #53861  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
Even though all you do with that PC is use it for madVR and it is not connected to the Internet, only the network LAN, and your router as a built in firewall?
Yes, no matter what you do, its always a bad idea. There is no argument to be made for running insecure/unpatched software with known exploits.
Old 5th December 2018, 23:53   #53862  |  Link
KrazyLurt

The nVidia update to 417.22 still have an issue with full RGB even though limited is selected.

This time this is re-produced by turning HDR on or off either with Windows or the nVidia api, and is present until for instance you change the refresh rate.

Limited colorspace is essential for me with a 2017 9000 series Philips OLED that have no option to use RGB full
KrazyLurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 03:37   #53863  |  Link
seiyafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
Questions:

If you buy a Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo 2xHDMI 2xDP 8GB and are going to use it to upscale 540p and 720p to 2160p, what is the weakest/cheapest motherboard, PSU, processor and least amount of RAM you can get away with (using MPC-HC, LAV Filters, nVidia Cuvid and madVR)?

Or is the Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Cerberus Advanced 2xHDMI 2xDP 8GB better?

What's the difference between a "Ti" and one without the "Ti"?

PS. I am thinking about going with this one and not build one after all (how does this one look): https://www.elgiganten.se/product/da..._PRISJAKT_EGAB
1070 Ti is closer to 1080 than 1070 in terms of performance.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 03:49   #53864  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyLurt View Post
Limited colorspace is essential for me with a 2017 9000 series Philips OLED that have no option to use RGB full
As a workaround with almost no quality loss you can use YUV 4:4:4 limited range instead. Edit: Hmm, limited/full range for RGB is working for me, on drivers 417.22.

It is strange how HTPC features don't seem to be on Nvidia's driver QA team's lists at all.

Last edited by Asmodian; 6th December 2018 at 03:52.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 13:56   #53865  |  Link
KrazyLurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
As a workaround with almost no quality loss you can use YUV 4:4:4 limited range instead. Edit: Hmm, limited/full range for RGB is working for me, on drivers 417.22.
Yeah YUV 4:4:4 dont need the full/limited option, but the bug is activated anyway even with YUV 4:4:4. As I mentioned, it's only (for me) triggers when going from HDR to SDR, and is back to normal without crushed blacks/overblown highlights when changing resolution or refresh rate
KrazyLurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 09:24   #53866  |  Link
giulianoprs

good day everyone, in the OSD occasionally gives me "dropped frames" 5/6, while all the other values ​​are always 0! above "1 frame repeat every 4.80 5 hours.
everage state between 18 and 19 ms.
max stats on 24/25.
do you think it's regular?
use in chroma NGU sharp medium
giulianoprs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 09:58   #53867  |  Link
ryrynz

Post a screenshot of your OSD after some dropped frames also provide your graphics card model.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 10:09   #53868  |  Link
giulianoprs

AMD RX 560 strix oc. now OSD photos with "dropped frames" I do not have, I will try to make one tonight.
Old 7th December 2018, 10:11   #53869  |  Link
JayeDog

latest working nvidia driver

I'm still using 385.28 but what is the latest working nvidia driver that can do madvr custom refresh rates and 12bit?
JayeDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 13:22   #53870  |  Link
njfoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayeDog View Post
I'm still using 385.28 but what is the latest working nvidia driver that can do madvr custom refresh rates and 12bit?
Unless you also game on the pc i would stick with 385.28
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 14:22   #53871  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Unless you also game on the pc i would stick with 385.28
I agree. I went back to 385.28 myself after the failures of the most recent drivers that have broken too many things to make it worth it.

The main advantage of recent drivers was better 3D (frame drop repeat every 13 minutes instead of every 3 minutes), but 3D was broken too recently.

So I disabled drivers updates and went back to 385.28, which is better on every single HTPC aspect apart from 3D (but you have to go back a few versions from the latest to get stable 3D) and gaming.

With a 1080ti or older, I don't think there will be a better version for non-gaming use so I've stopped updating.

I'll revisit this when I upgrade my GPU (not until they deliver HDMI 2.1 and 7nm) as 385.28 won't be an option anymore.
Denon X8500H>Vertex>JVC RS500/X7000
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 18:00   #53872  |  Link
giulianoprs

ryrynz or others who want to make a judgment, this OSD is done after 5 minutes, of course just left the movie I reset with Ctrl + re after I did Ctrl + je as you see there are those "dopped frames" (3), yet I did not noticed no type of shot when watching.
https://imgur.com/a/w62b7CF
Old 7th December 2018, 22:45   #53873  |  Link
ryrynz

Screen shot shows everything is fine. Test with default settings. Use the batch file included in MadVR directory to restore them.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 16:37   #53874  |  Link
mzso

Hi!

Is there a setting with the custom downscaling algorithms that might be close as fast as the DXVA2 option?
So far with only this can I downscale UHD without framedrops, but it produces horrible aliasing artifacts.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 17:41   #53875  |  Link
cremor

Hey guys,

I have a weird problem with custom modes since I got a new GPU. For my old GPU (GTX 960) I had custom modes for 100 Hz and 119 Hz and noted down all the properties needed to recreate them via madVR. This worked fine all the time, even when the custom modes were gone after a driver update.

But now with the new GPU (RTX 2070) and new drivers (417.22 - I can't use my previous ones since they don't support my new GPU) I can't get a custom mode that has the frequency that I want. I can enter everything I want and test it successfully, but it's actually using something else than I entered.

For example:
When I just create a custom mode with default timings from EDID the mode that is created doesn't show the same values as "current timings" - the vertical back porch is a bit higher. It doesn't matter if I check the values immediately after testing the new mode or after a reboot.
When I then just increase the pixel clock (that was enough to get a good mode with my old GPU), the modified pixel clock is actually saved, but the vertical back porch is again higher than it should be. It is increased in a way that completely negates my increased pixel clock - so the resulting frequency stays the same.

Any idea on how to fix this?
Can you guys still create custom modes with drivers 417.22 and/or a RTX 20x0 GPU?

edit: Found the problem. I need to disable G-Sync when I create/edit a custom mode. Weird that I didn't have to do this with the old GPU/driver, but now that I know about it it's ok.

Last edited by cremor; 8th December 2018 at 19:20.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 17:59   #53876  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Hi!

Is there a setting with the custom downscaling algorithms that might be close as fast as the DXVA2 option?
So far with only this can I downscale UHD without framedrops, but it produces horrible aliasing artifacts.
Nope, that should be the fastest. Did you check scale chroma separately under trade quality for performance?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 18:02   #53877  |  Link
Warner306

Did you clean your drivers properly after installing the new GPU and clean out any the optimization data stored in madVR?

If you started from scratch, it might be a matter of driver compatibility with brand new cards. I would just try the automatic optimization provided by madVR before using CRU.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 18:14   #53878  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
The fastest custom algorithm is Bilinear, which might still be slower on low-end GPUs because it uses the shaders, while DXVA2 scaling can use a dedicated scaler unit (if present) - but you are stuck with its quality.

You can try various trade quality options, as Warner mentioned already "scale chroma seperately" can often help a whole bunch.
Old 8th December 2018, 19:21   #53879  |  Link
cremor

@Warner306
Yes, I did a clean reinstall of the drivers with DDU.
I'm just using madVR to create the custom mode. I don't use CRU.

But I've now found the problem. I need to disable G-Sync when I create/edit a custom mode. Weird that I didn't have to do this with the old GPU/driver, but now that I know about it it's ok.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2018, 19:52   #53880  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by actarusfleed View Post
Hi guys,
I own a 4K projector and a Panoramic screen (2.35:1 format).

I use my HTPC (nvidia gtx 970, Win 10) with Kodi +DSplayer with MadVR.

I need to inscribe the image in my screen.
Using resize function into Nvidia control panel I've resized the OS desktop to 3840x1662 px and now it's ok.

If I execute Kodi I can see it perfectly inscribed into my screen.

The problem starts when I execute a film ... Madvr infacts compress the image ratio.

So I've setted MadVr in this way:
> Automatically detect hard coded black bars
> crop black bars.

Now I'm playing some 2.35:1 film but the result is not right.

Can some one suggest me righty settings?

thank you
Hi guys,
Nobody here uses an htpc with madvr with pj and panoramic screen??
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling