Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 26th December 2008, 12:26   #81  |  Link
TBL

I tried to change my regional settings to English, one reason was the comma thing so I thought to test it. Couldn't hurt.. And it actually is now encoding nicely, I will post the results later on
TBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 14:26   #82  |  Link
jdobbs

The comma thing should be fixed in 0.17.10 (posted earlier today).
Old 26th December 2008, 14:55   #83  |  Link
jdobbs

I've tried numerous discs and I can't repeat a condition in which the wrong MPLS is selectd for MOVIE-ONLY. Can someone provide me with an NTSC title to use as an example?

[EDIT] Never mind. I found one. It has been fixed.

Last edited by jdobbs; 26th December 2008 at 15:31.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 14:56   #84  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
TARGET_SIZE=4369 and TARGETSIZE=4470 both gave Target BD size: 4.27 GB and Bitrate: 3,067 Kbs
I double checked the bitrate in lastcmd.txt so it seems TARGET_SIZE in the ini gets ignored and the defaults for settings>options> target is always used. This is also the case with DVD9 target.

For quick switching between DVD5 and DVD9 could this setting be in settings>target>custom size or something like that and have the ability to save custom sizes in MB?
If you edit the target size, you have to close and restart BD-RB. It only reads it when it starts up, or it is changed via the SETTINGS/OPTIONS menu.
Old 26th December 2008, 15:30   #85  |  Link
jdobbs

I just posted another update (v0.17.11) in the first post of this thread. This one fixes the problem with the wrong MPLS being selected for MOVIE-ONLY encodes and also loosens the rules as to when CRF is used in "Quick" mode.
Old 26th December 2008, 16:12   #86  |  Link
Sharc

v0.17.11 improved my case.
The stream which was formerly encoded 2-pass at 343kbps and blocky is now 1-pass 946kbps. The quality is at the edge, +/- acceptable, although I would prefer to give it 1100 ... 1200 kbps. It's a short clip of 1170 frames btw.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 16:17   #87  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

gonna give this a whirl....my pc is a bit slower (pentium D, generation just before core2duo). If i am interested in movie only, should I be setting for single layer or dual? Just want to make sure using pc time wisely.
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 17:18   #88  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
v0.17.11 improved my case.
The stream which was formerly encoded 2-pass at 343kbps and blocky is now 1-pass 946kbps. The quality is at the edge, +/- acceptable, although I would prefer to give it 1100 ... 1200 kbps. It's a short clip of 1170 frames btw.
It encoded with CRF at a value that was fixed based on output size. You can st it to higher quality if you want by adding "QUICK_CRF=XX" in the options area of the config file. A value of 25 would probably do well in your case.
Old 26th December 2008, 17:20   #89  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
gonna give this a whirl....my pc is a bit slower (pentium D, generation just before core2duo). If i am interested in movie only, should I be setting for single layer or dual? Just want to make sure using pc time wisely.
My general rule for movie-only is anything less than 2.25-2.5 hours is ok for BD-5... but it also depends on whether it is a high action movie, etc...
Old 26th December 2008, 18:12   #90  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
It encoded with CRF at a value that was fixed based on output size. You can st it to higher quality if you want by adding "QUICK_CRF=XX" in the options area of the config file. A value of 25 would probably do well in your case.
The CRF was actually at 32. I set it to 31 now which increased the bitrate from 946 to 1100 kbps and brought the quality just over the edge. Excellent.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 18:15   #91  |  Link
jdobbs

Ahhh... that make sense if it was encoding for BD-5. It's variable.
Old 26th December 2008, 18:16   #92  |  Link
jdobbs

While that setting is there it will always use that Quick CRF value. If you decide to do a BD-9 you may want to remove it (or comment it out by adding a "#" to the front of it.
Old 26th December 2008, 18:23   #93  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Can you post the MUX_ file for the main feature? The menu thing is troubling... are you sure the disc is good?

When you say "sound and subs are not displayed on playback" what do you mean?
MUXOPT --no-pcr-on-video-pid --new-audio-pes --blu-ray --vbr --auto-chapters=5 --vbv-len=500
V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC, "G:\U571 BDRB\WORKFILES\VID_00034.AVS.264", fps=23.976, insertSEI, contSPS
A_AC3, "G:\U571 BDRB\WORKFILES\AUD_00034_4352.AC3", lang=eng
S_HDMV/PGS, "G:\U571 BDRB\WORKFILES\00034.track_4608.sup", fps=23.976, lang=eng

Definitely sure the rip/disc is good. I Burned it to a Panasonic BD-R with my laptops Matshita BD-RE 225S and all features play fine. Tryed the BD-RB encode to both a Sony DVD+RW and a Verbatim DVD+RW disc on both my Samsung TSST SH-S202N DVDRW drive and my Plextor PX 800A to be sure it wasn't a bad burn or bad disc. Both play back the same. There is just no sound or subtitles displayed on playback. Cannot even select subtitles to be displayed with the remote control. The picture quality is amazingly clear and undistinguishable from the original or the BD-R burn(of course). Cannot change audio tracks or subtitle tracks while playing from the remote either. The menu starts to play with audio and video, but after about 3-4 seconds, there is a pause, with the video and the sound stops for 3-4 seconds and then only the audio resumes while the video remains a still picture. The menu seems to function with the button highlights and you can select all highlights. Cannot select different audio tracks or subtitle tracks thru the menu though. The radio buttons just don't change when selected. When selecting play, the movie starts but with no sound. 1 audio file and 1 Eng. subtitle appears to be in the mux, when I open it with tsMuxeR_1.8.8(b) directly. Just no sound or subtitle on during playback.

Edit: radio buttons are changing when selecting them thru the menu, the screen just switches to the next menu too fast for me to tell. Sorry about that-my bad. However, there is no audio heard or subtitles displayed on playback or the ability to turn on the subtitles or switch audio tracks during playback.

Last edited by Capsbackup; 26th December 2008 at 22:06.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 18:35   #94  |  Link
vwpassion

The movie-only detection works very well now. Success with all my discs that I've loaded into BD-RB.

What i found not to work was changing the size in the bdrebuilder.ini. Once you restart BD-RB after changing it, it will automatically chose BD9 as output size, regardless of what size you've set in the ini (e.g. i chose TARGET_SIZE=4475, restart BD-RB, and now in the settings / options menu BD9 is ticked and the log reports "Target BD size: 7,72 GB").
vwpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 18:51   #95  |  Link
jdobbs

Yep. I just looked in the code -- and I'd disabled it. Only the three default sizes are accepted. I remember doing that now so I wouldn't have to deal with all the oversizing issue I did in DVD Rebuilder (where people changed the value and then complained because it was too big). I'll enable it again (and hope I don't regret it).
Old 26th December 2008, 19:19   #96  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Yes, Daemon Tools as well here. But whatever the issue is, it seems like a Heisenbug considering that it worked just fine yesterday.

By the way, another issue I had is that if I point BD Rebuilder to a working directory that it can't access, it will sometimes (but not always) shut down with an error message--and sometimes (but not always) be unable to start back up without deleting the ini file, because it again tries to open the unreadable directory and then shuts down again.

I hope deleting the ini file doesn't have any relation to the first problem...
I've been mounting and unmounting using Daemon Tools and stopping and resuming at lots of different points. It seems to work fine for me.

Deleting the INI shouldn't have any effect. It just goes back to all defaults.
Old 26th December 2008, 19:21   #97  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

DTS question

I am going to try a BR backup now....when I get home that is...is there an option to downsample dts hd to dts...tsmuxer can do this. Would save space for video on single layer dvd
Old 26th December 2008, 19:24   #98  |  Link
jdobbs

By default the DTS HD will be converted to AC3. You can disable that in the SETUP dialog -- but even in that case it will be downsampled to standard DTS. My recommendation is to keep it as AC3 -- but there's a lot of people who would debate that.

Reminder: Lets try and keep this thread focused on bug reports and follow-ups only. Other discussions should be opened in another thread. Thanks.

Last edited by jdobbs; 26th December 2008 at 19:29.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 19:33   #99  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

ok.....arrived home and checked it out

I notice that for movies that use multiple m2ts files via the playlists mpls, that rebuilder will still only look at the largest m2ts instead of looking at the playlist files to build then...is this correct? I can simply build the movie first myself.

Should rebuilder be looking at the playlist files first or is this for later development? This is important as there are a few BRs that use this "branching"...I know this may not be a bug...just checking

thanks for audio note
Old 26th December 2008, 19:45   #100  |  Link
Chefkoch_ico

Hi!

In 0.17.9:
In the BD Rebuilder Window, the log was not updated anymore.
The status bars indicated 100% and the last entries in the BD Reb Log Window were:
Quote:
- [00:10:01] Video Encode complete
- [00:10:01] Extracting/reencoding audio tracks
- [00:10:08] Multiplexing M2TS
- [00:25:21] Collecting video information [00037]
- Video: 1920x1080, 23.976fps
- Bitrate: 16 501 Kbs
However, in the BD-REBUILDER.LOG file, the entries go on like this:
Quote:
- [00:25:23] Reencoding: VID_00037, Pass 1 of 2
- [03:05:58] Reencoding: VID_00037, Pass 2 of 2
- [12:10:19] Video Encode complete
- [12:10:19] Extracting/reencoding audio tracks
- [12:21:01] Multiplexing M2TS
[12:38:53]PHASE ONE complete
[12:38:53]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
[12:39:11] - Encode and Rebuild complete
[12:39:11]JOB: HARRY_POTTER_2 completed.
---------------------

Just a clarification for possible Bug Reports, the PS3 will not play a full Backup from a DVD9, there you can simple choose a m2ts file and play it.
However, if you burn it to a BD-R(W), it behaves on the PS3 like the original Disc.

Tested myself. This is no bug in BD-Rebuilder

---------------------

jdobbs, can you (makes most sense) maybe open a "Features wanted" thread, where everybody can write down his beloved features, and you maybe summarize then, what you plan. To avoid a lot of "will this feature implemented?" questions.

---------------------

jdobbs, Thx.

Bye
Chefkoch_ico is offline   Reply With Quote