Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 31st October 2019, 14:35   #921  |  Link
shekh

About input drivers: see this link https://sourceforge.net/p/vdfiltermod/wiki/direct_copy/
Old 31st October 2019, 17:31   #922  |  Link
TlatoSMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
Thanks! Setting it back to standard AVI input in that open file dialogue did the trick.

Okay, so now that VirtualDub2 is fully functional for me, maybe, *MAYBE* its integrated script editor will help me get into AVIsynth for once, after I haven't been able for more than 15 years by now to learn AVIsynth at a sufficicent level to even just open a file.

A clickable GUI and a programming language aka "script" are just so vastly different in approach, plus both Mencoder and AVIsynth always seem to lack *DECADES* behind on their respective documentations, so none of the scripts found in documentation *EVER* work. Plus, AVIsynth and Mencoder aces often seem to have a terrible holier-than-thou attitude, so even if you're trying to contact them for help, in 9 cases out of 10 they will first ridicule the fact that you're actually trying to use commands from the documentation, and then immediately stop talking to you once they realize you're not using Linux, which basically means you're some lower life form not worth their time.
TlatoSMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 08:57   #923  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Apropos ... the input driver concept seems to be the reason why you can't use VirtualDub2 to e.g. remultiplex MKV to MP4 in Stream Copy mode, correct?

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 14:53   #924  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Apropos ... the input driver concept seems to be the reason why you can't use VirtualDub2 to e.g. remultiplex MKV to MP4 in Stream Copy mode, correct?
The original idea of input driver in VD was like this:
1) input driver has to split source into packets and that`s all
2) video decoder has to take packets and no other metadata and translate that into frames

I may be missing some details but taking into account ordinary h264 video it is just impossible to implement accurate decoder in that way.
However, if focus is stream copy (decoder is not needed) then such input driver can work (splitting into packets is good enough).
At the same time the decoding phase is only good as preview - it is NEVER frame accurate.
This is how original AVI driver works, and also FCCHandler' matroska driver and quicktime driver.

Another approach was ffmpeg input driver - initially developed by FCCHandler according to some history of changes.
The idea with ffmpeg was to ignore packets altogether and deliver correct decoded frames right away (I think so, or maybe the idea was lost between changes).

What is blocking simultaneous support for copy and decode with ffmpeg? The core feature is being able to translate from packets to frames and back (timestamps also would be great): ffmpeg lacks this.
Current "caching input driver" has stretched this in some ways: it does switch to direct mode when packet-frame translation is trivial, this is the case with keyframe-only formats. Doing more than that needs more time and passion.

Why avidemux can work? It uses ffmpeg with some patches applied and afaik some custom made demuxers as well. Might be as good idea to either borrow his work or fix ffmpeg myself, both ways are not simple and stay in my internal 'todo' few years.
Old 26th November 2019, 11:09   #925  |  Link
jpsdr

Hi.
Check here.
Old 28th November 2019, 18:56   #926  |  Link
nji

Curve editor doesn't show correct frame number when inserting frames (Bug?)

Scenario:
Open a movie
Select a frame
Insert it (say 5 times)
Insert a filter (apply opacity curve)

=> In "curve editor" frame numbers at positions after insert positions
doesn't correspond to having inserted frames
(Still has the original ones (= -5)).

Bug?
nji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2019, 00:37   #927  |  Link
shekh

Welcome to the world of VirtualDub timeline coordinates. It has everything of: mistakes, confusing design, unfinished work.
Basic rule of thumb is: everything you do in timeline control (insert, delete, move parts, select range) happens after filters. Curve points are in filters coordinates (or maybe even source?) hard to tell exactly because it does not work as explained in the documantation.
Also before I realized that timeline edits transform already filtered sequence I attempted to specify time positions in final (post-edit) coordinates and this made the situation even worse.

Good idea: never use both curves and timeline edits (except select range) in the same process. Also maybe don't combine any of that with time-scaling filters (deinterlace, interpolate, delete frames etc).
Old 29th November 2019, 10:30   #928  |  Link
nji

Phew!

This is really a BAD surprise.

First the filters, then the timeline manipulation?
But shouldn't it be just the other way round?

And not being allowed to "mix" both "operations" is like
to forbid the basic operation on movie manipulation...

???

Last edited by nji; 29th November 2019 at 11:06. Reason: Completly rewrite
nji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 12:55   #929  |  Link
jdawn1

Is it possible to direct stream copy AAC audio?
IM using Vdub 2 to re-encode 4k video shot on my phone which is H264 120mbit using x265.

I was using handbrake ,but for some reason handbrake messes up contrast and colors, whereas vdub gets it perfect. This is without any filters.
I get way better results from vdub, for some reason handbrake is causing remapping of colors or something.

But when I direct stream copy the audio the only option on save video is WAV format, and it doesn't work anyhow.
jdawn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 00:19   #930  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawn1 View Post
Is it possible to direct stream copy AAC audio?
IM using Vdub 2 to re-encode 4k video shot on my phone which is H264 120mbit using x265.

I was using handbrake ,but for some reason handbrake messes up contrast and colors, whereas vdub gets it perfect. This is without any filters.
I get way better results from vdub, for some reason handbrake is causing remapping of colors or something.

But when I direct stream copy the audio the only option on save video is WAV format, and it doesn't work anyhow.
Short answer: not possible (with different input driver for audio it may work or lead to other problems).
You can re-compress as AAC, select "Audio: Full processing mode" and then choose compression.
Old 9th December 2019, 06:19   #931  |  Link
jdawn1

Thanks for the answer.
I did more testing on handbrake vs vdub with x265.
with the same settings, I get 0.37fps on vdub and 0.21fps on handbrake (VerySlow, 10 bit, 25 crf)
vdub matches the colors and contrast so the output is superior. The file size is also about 15% smaller.

The results are even worse when resizing to 2560 from 3840, both use Lanczos 3
handbrake: 0.45fps, terrible contrast lost, 17.7MB
vdub: 0.82fps, matching contrast and colors perfectly, 15.9MB

Hopefully vdub can do batch of input folders like handbrake!
Old 28th December 2019, 18:01   #932  |  Link
jdawn1

Hi shekh

This might be a dumb question, but how do you add command line options to the x265 encoder on avlib-1?

Sometimes I want to run two pass encoding to target a file size...
Not sure why, but your x265 arrangement gives better performance, quality and compression then handbrake so I really like to use it...
Not to mention the other benefits of vdub over HB.
Old 28th December 2019, 23:04   #933  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawn1 View Post
Hi shekh

This might be a dumb question, but how do you add command line options to the x265 encoder on avlib-1?

Sometimes I want to run two pass encoding to target a file size...
Not sure why, but your x265 arrangement gives better performance, quality and compression then handbrake so I really like to use it...
Not to mention the other benefits of vdub over HB.
Hi
Really have no idea why it has anything better, as I never benchmarked handbrake. Glad if this result comes from my effort and not from measurement error

The codec interface is actually that simple. There is no command line. There was similar request at least once though.

You can try with external encoder interface, as it deals with pure command lines.
Old 29th December 2019, 00:15   #934  |  Link

Little bug report, encoding prores HQ from vapoursynth/avisynth has a wrong matrix in the prores metadata (always bt.470)
age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 08:55   #935  |  Link
osgZach

Feature Request:
Can you please modernize the options allowed for exporting segmented AVI ? Currently the file size limit on segments is 2048MB which makes it very impractical for working with lossless codecs. I was hoping setting it to 0MB and using the "limit number of frames" option would get me larger files but alas... It would be nice to see this output option modernized a bit. You could even expand it to work with other output containers if people were so inclined to use it that way.

There are other possibilities too. Giving it a number of desired chunks and having it calculate the number of frames to output based on total frames or play length, etc. Being able to tell it to queue an output job in X number of chunks and automatically setup the jobs in the queue would potentially be neat as well. I could see myself using it for heavy filtering jobs that may require 24 hours or more of processing; being able to do it in lossless chunks that I can pause/resume as needed and rejoin myself later, might be useful...

but really in terms of basics anything is better than a 2GB file limit.
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 10:42   #936  |  Link
shekh

Interesting. I had no idea segmented output is actually useful. I thought it is just annoying complexity from times when files were transferred on cd's or something.
Old 13th January 2020, 13:11   #937  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
when files were transferred on cd's or something.
Perhaps related to FAT32 (not sure, maybe fat32 was originally borked to max 2GB, or maybe not), but anyway, I'm guessin
that many softwares were limited to 2GB, simply because of use of signed int, so max 2GB avoids the problem altogether.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 17:14   #938  |  Link
osgZach

yeah it was common to limit to 2GB back then, either due to file system constraints, and/or the original AVI container. Then OpenDML came along and allowed larger than 2GB AVI files.
I'll admit I'm probably one of the few people who would use segmented output at this point. So don't worry about rushing it or if it looks like too much of a hassle after you look at the code.
Old 13th January 2020, 22:58   #939  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Wow... I haven't had need to use the avi container in years!

Out of interest... What audio and video formats are people trying to put in it these days?
Old 13th January 2020, 23:32   #940  |  Link
osgZach

I use AVI for MagicYUV codec video and if there is audio, 2 channel or multichannel PCM
Strictly as a lossless intermediate or recording format.

Last popular codec to shove into AVI with hacks was H.264 or possibly H.265 I think. But I could be wrong, I don't pay that close attention to things like I used to.