Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 6th August 2011, 22:37   #21  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlEdman View Post
But there is no principled distinction between the process by which a master is recorded and the later compression stages.
I must admit, it sounds like semantics to me.

The term lossless and lossy aren't used in reference to the digital recording being a perfect replication of the analogue audio, whether you see one as such is irrelevant to the way those terms are used. They're used to describe the method of storing the digital information. Either the storage method keeps the original data perfectly intact, or it doesn't.

If a digital master has retained all of the digital information, it's lossless. If you compress the digital data using a format which throws some of it away, it's lossy.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 23:11   #22  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

@CarlEdman,

Yes, but you would have to consider 24 bit, 192KHz or the like as close to lossless as practical.

Okay substitute "original highest available quality master" for "original lossless master".

But it is interesting how the 2 psycho-acoustic models appear to be fighting each other, i.e. how applying the AC3 model causes the AAC encoder to "see" more entropy in it's own model.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote