Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 24th November 2016, 13:27   #21281  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I don't know if it's mkvtoolnix or the sample but if you extract the timecodes using mkvextract before and after demux->mux the number of TrueHD timecodes is different. This may indicate something is broken in the sample which may result in a/v desync without LAV being at fault.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 14:07   #21282  |  Link
VictorLS

sneaker_ger
But this is not answer on question: why with hardware acceleration syncronization quite well? Otherwise, whole 112GB movie with Core i7 software decoding has same desync.
VictorLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 14:22   #21283  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I don't understand why you posted the sample, then. It's complex so you need either a very fast CPU for software decoding or a hardware decoder. If decoding is too slow you may experience this as a/v desync. If you are only interested in performance comparisons we have a whole thread dedicated to that topic with lots of different samples, decoders and hardware.
Old 24th November 2016, 15:36   #21284  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I don't understand why you posted the sample.
Because of from http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...00#post1787000 until this page.
Old 24th November 2016, 16:13   #21285  |  Link
sneaker_ger

So you wanted to proof software decoding is not always faster than hardware decoding? No one disagrees, we don't need more proof.
Old 24th November 2016, 16:40   #21286  |  Link
NikosD

What a sample!

It's a HEVC 10bit sample at 3840 x 2080 resolution with a mythical 211Mbps (!) bitrate.

Using my Core i7-4790 the sample is completely unwatchable...It's pity I don't have a hardware HEVC decoder to watch that sample flawlessly

@sneaker_ger
Software decoding of HEVC is always slower than HW decoding when we compare any desktop Intel CPU (including Skylake Core i7) with HW decoders of Skylake/Kabylake and GM206 Maxwell/ Pascal

Last edited by NikosD; 24th November 2016 at 16:50.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 17:14   #21287  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post
What a sample!
I did my best
But there is one file with more than 900Mbps but HDD is narrow neck - I plan to use virtual HDD in RAM.
Quote:
It's a HEVC 10bit sample at 3840 x 2080 resolution with a mythical 211Mbps (!) bitrate.
Using my Core i7-4790 the sample is completely unwatchable...
But my cheap ~100$ GTX750v2 on GM206-150 plays that absolutely smooth even in WinXP http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...54#post1784954 with 47,952Hz and patched decoder http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...45#post1786045. One thing - frequency of GPU get to the maximum and Video Engine load some increase.
Quote:
Software decoding of HEVC is always slower than HW decoding when we compare any desktop Intel CPU (including Skylake Core i7) with HW decoders of Skylake/Kabylake and GM206 Maxwell/ Pascal
You are quite right but I some agree with
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The key point is that even CPUs these days are plenty fast for FullHD H264 playback without any serious CPU usage, without requiring some i7 high-end CPU, so software decoding is a valid and viable option for a lot of people. Only if you go 4k or exorbitantly high bitrates it may no longer work - but thats far from what the majority actually plays.
After buying 3-core CPU instead of 1-core after playing 4:2:2-4:4:4 files I sometimes forget switch to hardware decoding from "None" in LAV Video Decoder and h264 1080 plays smoothly by software - but when I look on 40-60% CPU load I switch to HW and CPU load decrease to 5-10%.

Last edited by VictorLS; 24th November 2016 at 17:22.
Old 24th November 2016, 17:42   #21288  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Please move performance discussions to the existing performance threads, like thisone: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171219. It doesn't really fit in here.
There is no question that NVIDIA and Intel hardware decoders are much faster then software. The only argument was that for the available commercial content in FullHD, software decoding works just as well on the majority of systems.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 24th November 2016 at 17:44.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 19:01   #21289  |  Link
NikosD

I only posted here because of a comment regarding HW decoders vs SW decoders.

BTW, the code of HW decoding of recent codecs like H.264/H.265/VP9 inside LAV filters is it explicitly yours ?

I mean you write it on your own and give it to FFMPEG or is it a work of a team of developers ?
Old 24th November 2016, 19:50   #21290  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
BTW, the code of HW decoding of recent codecs like H.264/H.265/VP9 inside LAV filters is it explicitly yours ?

I mean you write it on your own and give it to FFMPEG or is it a work of a team of developers ?
I contributed HEVC and VP9 DXVA2 decoding to FFmpeg, and I'm the maintainer of the DXVA2 code in FFmpeg. H264 and the older codecs are from someone else before my time, however.

It's important to note however that the hw decoders tightly integrate into the software decoders, so without the people writing those the hw implementations wouldn't have been possible.
Old 24th November 2016, 20:00   #21291  |  Link
NikosD

Great job with HW decoders.
Old 24th November 2016, 20:41   #21292  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Great job with HW decoders.
I agree, but some add:
1. Without HW acceleration CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD Generic) much more fast then LAV Video Decoder, but CyberLink not so universal;
2. Without HW acceleration Elecard & Mainconcept HEVC Video Decoders have useful feature: decoding not all frames (i.e. I-frames only), but only Elecard can connect to LAV Splitter.
3. Aleksoid1978's patches very great too, i.e. LAVFilters-0.68.1-35.exe (10МБ) https://yadi.sk/d/M5KOnw9YyoQWo with "hacky workarounds" - possibility to uncheck Use HQ DXVA processing - and with unchecked Enable Adaptive HW Deinterlacing I see same deinterlacing quality (can anyone check?) but RussiaHD.ts and such other files and SAT channels are playing without artifacts and with hardware acceleration in LAV Video Decoder in Win7. I haven't to install LAV CUVID Decoder anymore - one LAV Video Decoder with NVIDIA CUVID hardware acceleration quite enough for me now in all ocсasions.

Last edited by VictorLS; 24th November 2016 at 20:48.
Old 24th November 2016, 21:11   #21293  |  Link
NikosD

Last time I checked Cyberlink's HW decoder it was perfect for my hybrid iGPU.

LAV Video is generally more optimized for Nvidia HW.

Also I remember Cyberlink supporting OpenCL decoding and it had a very smooth fallback to SW when sample is incompatible with HW decoders.

Generally speaking, it is definitely a more polished decoder than LAV Video but...it is commercial and supported by a company and a few developers who are being paid to do their job.

In case of LAV filters we have a lonely cowboy doing all the job for free and for fun.

Like we all do here actually, contributing to the community with one or the other way.

That's a big difference from Cyberlink and the other companies.
Old 25th November 2016, 00:45   #21294  |  Link
har3inger

I'm checking back regarding the bug with Dolby Pro logic II matrix encoding: I can reliably reproduce on two systems an audible and visible shift in audio center and misplacement of audio channels following 5.1 to stereo downmixing. Looking at how Dolby pro logic II is supposed to work, it introduces phase shifts, but shouldn't change relative channel volume. I think maybe there's an error with which channels are going where in LAV audio?
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 05:32   #21295  |  Link
ocyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
but again this has nothing to do with lavfilter.
I agree. My last question was intended to be rhetorical. Sorry for taking forum space.
Old 25th November 2016, 15:34   #21296  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Last time I checked Cyberlink's HW decoder it was perfect for my hybrid iGPU.

LAV Video is generally more optimized for Nvidia HW.

Also I remember Cyberlink supporting OpenCL decoding and it had a very smooth fallback to SW when sample is incompatible with HW decoders.

Generally speaking, it is definitely a more polished decoder than LAV Video but...it is commercial and supported by a company and a few developers who are being paid to do their job.

In case of LAV filters we have a lonely cowboy doing all the job for free and for fun.

Like we all do here actually, contributing to the community with one or the other way.

That's a big difference from Cyberlink and the other companies.
Nope it can use a very big amount of decoding tricks, to enhance the user experience that is actually what PowerDVD does dynamically if necessary.

The very small advantage it has in it's Hardware Decoding modes are way way smaller then the CPU deficiencies.

In it's core optimization it doesn't really performs that well these days, the Chinese did way better over at Strongene, very impressive low level optimization threading and memory management work from scratch there

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLS View Post
I agree, but some add:
1. Without HW acceleration CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD Generic) much more fast then LAV Video Decoder, but CyberLink not so universal;
2. Without HW acceleration Elecard & Mainconcept HEVC Video Decoders have useful feature: decoding not all frames (i.e. I-frames only), but only Elecard can connect to LAV Splitter.
3. Aleksoid1978's patches very great too, i.e. LAVFilters-0.68.1-35.exe (10МБ) https://yadi.sk/d/M5KOnw9YyoQWo with "hacky workarounds" - possibility to uncheck Use HQ DXVA processing - and with unchecked Enable Adaptive HW Deinterlacing I see same deinterlacing quality (can anyone check?) but RussiaHD.ts and such other files and SAT channels are playing without artifacts and with hardware acceleration in LAV Video Decoder in Win7. I haven't to install LAV CUVID Decoder anymore - one LAV Video Decoder with NVIDIA CUVID hardware acceleration quite enough for me now in all ocсasions.
1. It would be the difference between the 32 and 64 bit path but i would highly disagree anyways, but depends on the overall System status if you measure in very high resolution that's possible on the Windows Kernel Edge, keeping the overall thread fluctuations to a possible minimum.

You can pinpoint the tools and optimizations Cyberlinks Decoder fails on compared to ffmpeg/libav very easily if you stress the decoder enough and bring it to it's limits additionaly enabling a power save mode and you will see it very fast braking down.

2. It would be easy peasy for nevcariel to make them interoperable but decoder is heavily splitter optimized because of the frame accurate nature of the whole decoder core

And yeah both never parted really that far away from each other especially in their UI Structure either and both still share the same Russian HQ location roughly 3km away from each other

Elecard and MainConcept AG team up

Elecard Ltd and MainConcept AG separate and split resources

Quote:
Elecard head office is located in Akademicheskiy district of Tomsk.

3 Razvitiya ave. Tomsk, 634055, Russia
Quote:
MainConcept - DivX LLC operates as a subsidiary of MainConcept GmbH. Razvitiya avenue 3. Tomsk, 634021. Russia.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 25th November 2016 at 20:04.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 20:48   #21297  |  Link
VictorLS

CruNcher
1. Sorry, I don't understand even with translator. May be this is answer: I measured fps (min/avg/max) with DXVA Checker in equal conditions in Win7x64.
2. I didn't know. I know why Elecard and Mainconcept almost equal now )
Prog easy add Mainconcept's HEVC Video Decoder support in ProgDVB, DVBViewer has support since h265 support.
Elecard's HEVC Video Decoder always connects with LAV Splitter, but when Elecard HEVC Video Decoder connected to DVBViewer's source it can not decode h265 10bit in right way. So before I buy GTX750 I had to use Mainconcept in DVBViewer and Elecard in KMPlayer (because Mainconcept's Demuxer can not mkv) with Skip PB.

Last edited by VictorLS; 26th November 2016 at 03:46.
Old 25th November 2016, 20:49   #21298  |  Link
Gravitator

This file is played with a scattering of squares through DXVA2 (CUDA normally). > hotfuzz.vc1 (before playing it is desirable to pack the file through mkvtoolnix to .mkv).
Win10x64, Core2duo 3GHz, DDR3 8GB, GTX750v1 2GB d375.95, MPC-HC-x64 v1.7.10, madVR v0.91, LAVx64 v0.68.1.36.

Last edited by Gravitator; 27th November 2016 at 08:56.
Gravitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 03:08   #21299  |  Link
VictorLS

Gravitator
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...05#post1784805 and some posts lower.
I don't use DXVA at all and I'm happy with CUVID now despite of 10->8bit dithering I don't see on my 8bit (for one color) monitor.
PS. I guess you are using Win10?
Because even CUVID is useless to destroy scattering of squares in Win7 - only patched by Aleksoid1978 decoder can or turning off hardware acceleration.

Last edited by VictorLS; 26th November 2016 at 04:42.
Old 26th November 2016, 08:28   #21300  |  Link
Gravitator

VictorLS
My video card based on GM107
Can theoretically simultaneously CUDA and DXVA2 push to decode?
Gravitator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter