Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 2nd September 2010, 17:27   #1  |  Link
SMBW

Denoising DVB-S source to reduce bitrate for x264 encode

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post over here... I'm sorry I'm still quiet a noob when it comes to all of this video editing stuff!

I captured some DVB streams using DVB Viewer Pro and use ProjectX for demuxing and repairing the MPEG2-TS-Stream. After that I use DGIndex for indexing the file and I want to use avisynth for copping, trimming, deinterlacing and all other kind of filtering. In the end I want to reencode the video using x264.

Now I have some kind of noisy sources which I'd like to denoise before encoding since I suspect that the noise will eat up some bitrate which could be needed elsewhere.

I tried using AdaptiveMedian(yy = false, uu = true, vv = true) and played around with the maxgrid attribute without any success.

I also tried using:
denoise(clip, xgrid=3, lx = 0, rx = 691, ty=0, by=421, var=100, uv=true, usey=true)

or:
denoise(clip, xgrid=3, lx = 338, rx = 376, ty=18, by=46, var=100, uv=true, usey=true)

The last one was best but still a lot of noise wasn't removed and a lot of details were lost / blurred.

So here's my question: Can you point me to any well known working denoise plugin for avisynth which might give me better results? I can provide a short HFYU sample (avi container) so you can see what kind of noise I'm talking about.

source:

Denoised with "denoise(clip, xgrid=3, lx = 338, rx = 376, ty=18, by=46, var=100, uv=true, usey=true)":

Video sample:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gog67o

Thanks to everyone who is able to help!
SMBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 22:37   #2  |  Link
Dracaena

Search for MCTemporalDenoise, it is ultra-slow and eats up all your RAM, but works wonders on unwanted grain.

PS I'd advise using the sharp=false option to disable the sharpening stage of MCTemporalDenoise, since it slows encoding even futher and uses warpsharp to distort the image
Dracaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 18:45   #3  |  Link
SMBW

Thank you Dracaena for helping me. I will give it a shot and report back!
Old 13th September 2010, 18:18   #4  |  Link
Hagbard23
23sKiDdOo!

removegrain and/or removedirt.

Both available from Kassandro (which is unfortunately not here anymore).

http://www.removegrain.de.tf/
http://www.removedirt.de.tf/

Kassandro has done a lot of work for denoising/degraining...
Removedirt is extremely efficient, but a little tricky to install. Further: There are newer Versions, which you can access via the Forum of Kassandro. And: Further2: There are several mods for this filter posted as AVS-Script here on Doom9Forum...

And: Check if your Source is anamorphic - Tom Hanks looks a little thin on the Sample-Pictures... - and: Sat1 sucks....greetz from Germany...

Last edited by Hagbard23; 13th September 2010 at 18:20.
Hagbard23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 19:02   #5  |  Link
Didée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagbard23 View Post
and: Sat1 sucks....greetz from Germany...
Depends on what you compare it with. Ever seen the blurry disaster named "kabel1"?

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 09:21   #6  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Since all of you come from Germany, did any of you noticed that MediaMarkt sells now Forrest Gump for only 5€ (and thus spare at least the time for cleaning the video and the electricity costs )? And bears no logo ...
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 15:18   #7  |  Link
SMBW

Ok sry for the long delay - I have some trouble with my internet connection atm.

I was able to try out RemoveDirt and although I used an old version (0.6) I need to admit I was stunned. Thank you very much for your help guys - that's more than I ever expected...
I will try out the other suggestions as well but it still takes two more weeks till my internet connection will be back to normal and with all the requirements which are needed for MCTemporalDenoise I'll have to wait until then.

@ Hagbard23: Thx for mentioning, yeah my source is anamorphic. Since I'm encoding it anamorphic again that's not a big deal as long as I encode it with the correct sar.
Grüße zurück von der Schwäbischen Alb!

@ Ghitulescu: Yeah you're right - and it's even cheaper to get it on ebay but I have captured more than 400 movies. Not all - but at least some of them are quiet noisy and it's just too expensive for me to buy them all. That's why I'd like to do it this way... Thx for the note though!

Tags
denoise