Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 2nd April 2016, 04:03   #1041  |  Link
JohnLai

@Stax76

Is it possible to change the Temp directory to other disk location?

Current implementation of Temp directory; let say I have a "Test.mkv" at D drive opened with staxrip, there will a directory at "D:/Test temp"
I would like to have the temporary directory created elsewhere at one specific disk drive. (Example, RAMDISK)
JohnLai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 04:25   #1042  |  Link
stax76

@JohnLai

go to:

main menu > Options > Paths > Temp Files Directory > Edit

to make it persistent:

main menu > Project > Save As Template
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 17:37   #1043  |  Link
Yups

I miss an option where I can save my encoding profile. I switch between Intel h264, h265, x264, x265, Nvidia h264, h265 and all my setting are gone when I do this. And some things like --b-pyramid or --max-bitrate have to be set manually again and again.
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 23:27   #1044  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yups View Post
I miss an option where I can save my encoding profile. I switch between Intel h264, h265, x264, x265, Nvidia h264, h265 and all my setting are gone when I do this. And some things like --b-pyramid or --max-bitrate have to be set manually again and again.
latest test build adds:

- profiles can be saved from the x265/AMD/Intel/NVIDIA/ffmpeg encoding options dialogs
- Intel encoder QSVEncC added switch --output-buf, --b-pyramid, --max-bitrate
Old 3rd April 2016, 04:02   #1045  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
@JohnLai

go to:

main menu > Options > Paths > Temp Files Directory > Edit

to make it persistent:

main menu > Project > Save As Template
Thanks.
Another question, staxrip often auto-checks the box for english subtitles and audio, is there option for auto-checking every available subtitle and audio?

I got old dvd-rip (MPEG2) collection of HongKong TVB Drama with dual audio (both detected as Chinese although those are actually Cantonese and Chinese) and dual subtitles (English and Chinese).

Hmmmm......to rephrase, I would like to drag all 102 episodes and batch convert. Currently, using staxrip, I need to drag and drop each file to 'Source', then manually checks both audio and subtitles, then click 'OK', go to Container Option, checks the subtitles again, then 'OK', then 'NEXT', click 'X' ---->repeat from begining until all episodes added---->press F6 to see 'Jobs'--->then 'Start'.

It will take too long, any way to automated it?
Old 3rd April 2016, 04:24   #1046  |  Link
stax76

It can be configured at:

Main Menu > Options > Subtitles > Auto Load Subtitles

You can show the help by right-clicking the 'Auto Load Subtitles' label, by clicking on the question mark in the title bar or by pressing F1. It shows:

Quote:
Subtitles loaded automatically using two letter language code separated by comma or the magic word 'all'.

Arabic: ar
Bangla: bn
Chinese: zh
English: en
French: fr
German: de
Hindi: hi
Italian: it
Japanese: ja
Korean: ko
Malay (Latin): ms
Portuguese: pt
Punjabi: pa
Russian: ru
Spanish: es
Undetermined: iv
Old 3rd April 2016, 04:35   #1047  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
It can be configured at:

Main Menu > Options > Subtitles > Auto Load Subtitles

You can show the help by right-clicking the 'Auto Load Subtitles' label, by clicking on the question mark in the title bar or by pressing F1. It shows:

Okay, subtitle done, how about auto-check all audio at audio selection menu? I am using DSS2 source filter. I wish there is a way to automatically add all video into queue. (auto select all audio+subtitle+demux+auto queue)

For example, the competitor Handbrake has "Directory Batch Convert" mode, too bad it doesn't support VCE,Nvenc and more advanced functionality of QSV (Rigaya version is way flexible and feature rich)
Old 3rd April 2016, 05:16   #1048  |  Link
stax76

Only two audio files can be picked up automatically at the moment.

Regarding adding files for batch processing, isn't this:

Source > File Batch > Add > Add Folder

What you are looking for?
Old 3rd April 2016, 06:53   #1049  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Only two audio files can be picked up automatically at the moment.

Regarding adding files for batch processing, isn't this:

Source > File Batch > Add > Add Folder

What you are looking for?
.............I am sorry for being idiot here......Thanks again.

EDIT:
1) Can add "remove all" for "Jobs"? Currently, I am deleting "Jobs.dat" at "Settings" Folder as workaround. Possible to highlight multiple jobs and remove?

2) Seem like the batch mode doesn't ask for confirmation of overwriting existing files at Target location. Instead as renaming the file to Test_new.mkv, it overwrites the original file.

Last edited by JohnLai; 3rd April 2016 at 09:31.
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:25   #1050  |  Link
Yups

Quote:
latest test build adds:

- profiles can be saved from the x265/AMD/Intel/NVIDIA/ffmpeg encoding options dialogs
- Intel encoder QSVEncC added switch --output-buf, --b-pyramid, --max-bitrate

This is a great help. Not that important but custom names are not applied. When I save a new profile for Intel H.264 as "Intel H.264 Custom" it is saved as Intel H.264 in the list.
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:31   #1051  |  Link
Lupissimo

"Could somebody tell me how to incorporate Video Preprocessing AviSynth tools?
I would like to use the ColourBriContr.vdf module including the ability to preview the resulting settings. Up to now I have to first encode into avi so that I can use Virtualdub to apply video corrections and reencode into avi again. Only after that I use StaxRip for the final encode. I am sure this is a stupid way, but I have not found any other.
So PLEASE help me "

It is somewhat dissapointing that there is no reply to this question
There are many filters incorporated in Staxrip, but none deals with the basic video properties: brightness, gamma, contrast and saturation nor sharpness all of those are often required to improve old DVDs.
If it is realy not possible to provide such a function in StaxRip then please state this clearly, so that I can search for a different encoding software ( Which I would very much want to avoid! )
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:46   #1052  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Can add "remove all" for "Jobs"? Currently, I am deleting "Jobs.dat" at "Settings" Folder as workaround. Possible to highlight multiple jobs and remove?
I tried to enable multi select but the used CheckedListBox don't support it, I would have to replace it with a ListBox or DataGridView which would involve quite a bit work, if somebody creates a issue on the tracker I maybe change it sometime. For a dedicated button it's way to rare.

Quote:
Seem like the batch mode doesn't ask for confirmation of overwriting existing files at Target location. Instead as renaming the file to Test_new.mkv, it overwrites the original file.
Did not happen in my test, see my signature.

Quote:
This is a great help. Not that important but custom names are not applied. When I save a new profile for Intel H.264 as "Intel H.264 Custom" it is saved as Intel H.264 in the list.
It will be fixed in the next build.

@Lupissimo

Since it's a AviSynth problem you have much better chances for help in the AviSynth forum, scripting editing in StaxRip is another topic. Won't do Tweak what you want?

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Tweak
Old 3rd April 2016, 16:34   #1053  |  Link
Lupissimo

@Stax: Thank you for your answer and pointing to TWEAK! Please understand that I am just a "user" and have almost no insight into the StaxRip structure. How would I incorporate TWEAK into a STAX profile such that I can adjust the values and preview the result ( In StaxRip preview? ) In VitualDub you can adjust values and in parallel watch the resulting picture.
Old 3rd April 2016, 16:49   #1054  |  Link
NikosD

Great new test build.

A few comments:

1) ffmpeg HW encoders look extremely poor regarding encoding options.
Are you planning to add more on the GUIs ?

2) Two pass encoding using ffmpeg HW encoder, crashes using MKV as output file.

3) ffmpeg decoders inside Intel H.264 profile (QSVEncC) are a lot slower than QSVEncC itself, especially now that the output-buf size is fixed for use inside StaxRip.

QSV decoder is extremely slow and DXVA2 is just slow.

4) Using ffmpeg - H.264 profile the Intel transcoding is still slow (but faster than using Intel decoder inside QSVEncC) and the DXVA2 transcoding is fast, faster than DXVA2 decoder inside QSVEncC, but still slower (a lot) than QSVEncC.

Still, all those options are useful in case something goes wrong using QSVEncC.

P.S

QSVEncC v2.44 is out implementing my suggestion to rigaya to include EU % (GPU load metric) and MFX % (MFX engine, fixed-function ASIC load metric) using publicly available Media Framework API by Intel.
It works only for the x64 version.

The overhead is low and the performance drop is almost zero.

I made the same suggestion to a few other developers building GPU monitor tools (like gadgets), but rigaya is the first developer who actually implemented in his app.

QSVEncC is an open-source app, hopefully other developers will follow.

Currently, using my platform Win 10 x64 - Core i7 4790 - iGPU - Drivers v4380 it doesn't work, but probably for Skylake and other platforms works already.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 17:40   #1055  |  Link
stax76

@Lupissimo

I've added the code below to the default profiles now, in the scripting editor context menu look for 'Profiles...' and 'Video Preview... F5'.

Tweak(hue = 0, sat = 1, bright = 0, cont = 1, coring = true)

@NikosD

We'll surely continue to improve the support for rigaya's encoders in StaxRip. ffmpeg is great but has also many issues with stability and usability paired with difficult support... I'll continue with small improvements here and there.

I plan a new release but also a StaxRip pause.
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:06   #1056  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
I tried to enable multi select but the used CheckedListBox don't support it, I would have to replace it with a ListBox or DataGridView which would involve quite a bit work, if somebody creates a issue on the tracker I maybe change it sometime. For a dedicated button it's way to rare.

Did not happen in my test, see my signature.
Oh well, at least I can use notepad to open job.dat and remove some unwanted jobs.

As for overwriting issue, maybe because I specify the path manually. Not an issue as I often output to different dedicated drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post
Great new test build.

3) ffmpeg decoders inside Intel H.264 profile (QSVEncC) are a lot slower than QSVEncC itself, especially now that the output-buf size is fixed for use inside StaxRip.

QSV decoder is extremely slow and DXVA2 is just slow.

4) Using ffmpeg - H.264 profile the Intel transcoding is still slow (but faster than using Intel decoder inside QSVEncC) and the DXVA2 transcoding is fast, faster than DXVA2 decoder inside QSVEncC, but still slower (a lot) than QSVEncC.

Still, all those options are useful in case something goes wrong using QSVEncC.
FFMPEG QSV decode/encoding is useful for me because my setup has issue with "device operation failure.
Error in encoding pipeline. : device operation failure.
error at encode thread.
" when using rigaya QSVencc.

EDIT: Now then....the only thing left is QSV hardware accelerated subtitle burn-in feature.....

Last edited by JohnLai; 3rd April 2016 at 18:09.
Old 3rd April 2016, 20:31   #1057  |  Link
Yups

Haven't tried myself yet but vpp-detail-enhance might work properly with QSVEnc 2.44.
Old 3rd April 2016, 21:38   #1058  |  Link
Lupissimo

@Stax: Great ! Thank you!
Old 5th April 2016, 19:29   #1059  |  Link
ShamisOMally

So tried the newest build, video no matter what the encoder drifts out of spec, about 1 second per 22 minutes

So a 22:00 min video becomes 22:01

*EDIT* Traced the problem down to AVISYNTH+ I hope, trying other muxing tools

*EDIT2* Still same problem, I'm going to try another file series and see if that fixes it

*EDIT3* Confirmed, its the media that causes it. Passing the video through Xmedia first then staxrip fixes it

Last edited by ShamisOMally; 5th April 2016 at 20:48.
ShamisOMally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 22:02   #1060  |  Link
ashlar42

I'd like to try StaxRip to encode my old DVDs in HEVC. The problem I have is with deinterlacing. I have a GTX980 and I plan on using NVIDIA.H265, but deinterlacing... well, the different options on Field seem to be quite bad. What's the reccomended way to go for deinterlacing with StaxRip x264 when wanting to use Nvidia hardware encoding?

Thank you.

Edit: I see that NVENC has an instruction to use adaptive deinterlacing (which I assume should be good) but where should I insert -vpp-deinterlace adaptive?

Edit: tried... it errored out like this:

"C:\Program Files\StaxRip\Apps\NVEncC\NVEncC64.exe" --codec h265 -vpp-deinterlace adaptive --cqp 20:23:25 --crop 16,0,16,0 --sar 10:11 --input "C:\Temp\title00 temp files\Dead Can Dance - Toward The Within stax.avs" --output "C:\Temp\title00 temp files\Dead Can Dance - Toward The Within stax_out.h265"

------------------------------------------------------------
Error Encoding using NVEncC
------------------------------------------------------------

Encoding using NVEncC failed with exit code: 1 (0x1)

The exit code might be a system error code: STATUS_WAIT_1

The exit code might be a system error code: Incorrect function.

NVEncC (x64) 2.00?3 by rigaya [NVENC API v6.0], build Jan 5 2016 23:19:12
avi reader: disabled
avs reader: enabled
vpy reader: enabled
avcuvid reader: enabled

Start: 23:50:53
End: 23:50:53
Duration: 00:00:00

Last edited by ashlar42; 5th April 2016 at 22:52.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote