Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th November 2016, 11:32   #40361  |  Link
CruNcher

Reviewers gave up on it making it part of their reviews because it's a economic physical problem that is going to stay for a while on the PC side, easiest and cheapest solution noise cancellation or headphones, though the frequencies can go extremely high.

So we can only start to build AIB databases ourselves with that information but even then it could be not 100% accurate due to system diversity (power supply efficiency) and possible manufacturing changes and of course the different testing methodologies of users themselves.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 20th November 2016 at 11:54.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 11:44   #40362  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Here's a new test build for those of you who still can't get NGU to activate (e.g. Optimus users):

http://madshi.net/madVR091d.rar

Installation instructions:

1) Make sure you're in release mode.
2) Overwrite the files.
3) Activate debug mode.
4) Create a short log file and upload it somewhere for me to look at (don't attach to this forum).

There's a chance it might work now. If it does, I don't need a log. If it still doesn't work, please upload a log, thanks.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 12:05   #40363  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
There are custom GPUs from different manufacturers. Aren't there any without coil whine?
There are, or well, on some vendors its just much lower. My MSI doesn't have any noticeable audible whine that I would notice.
Old 20th November 2016, 12:27   #40364  |  Link
Mistery 73

I followed the steps but still not active NGU
excuse me as I have to create a log file?
Mistery 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 12:39   #40365  |  Link
Mistery 73

sorry but the problem that you can not activate NGU could also be because JRiver use?
Old 20th November 2016, 12:42   #40366  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
There are, or well, on some vendors its just much lower. My MSI doesn't have any noticeable audible whine that I would notice.
Ok, thanks. Might be an option for some users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistery 73 View Post
I followed the steps but still not active NGU
excuse me as I have to create a log file?
If you followed the installation instructions then you should already have a file named "madVR - log.txt" on your desktop.

Activating release vs debug mode can be done by executing the "activate release/debug mode.bat" batch file.

Quote:
sorry but the problem that you can not activate NGU could also be because JRiver use?
Unlikely.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 12:43   #40367  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Try lowering the GPU clocks or voltages by using some tweak tool, maybe that helps?
I've said it twice but it appears nobody bothered to read it or even try testing.. try overclocking, I can't imagine that underclocking will help any.
Like I said if you don't like it replace your card with another brand nothing else is more effective at dealing with it.
Surprising that people haven't encountered this before.. it's an age old problem..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 12:50   #40368  |  Link
Mistery 73

NGU can not select when you are viewing a movie ...
Old 20th November 2016, 12:55   #40369  |  Link
mueslibrown

Quote:
I'm using Jriver and have NGU working - you obviously have to replace the Jriver madvr install with your own to use the latest version but if you had madvr working previously then you know how to do this already ...
mueslibrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 12:58   #40370  |  Link
mueslibrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I've said it twice but it appears nobody bothered to read it or even try testing.. try overclocking, I can't imagine that underclocking will help any.
Like I said if you don't like it replace your card with another brand nothing else is more effective at dealing with it.
Surprising that people haven't encountered this before.. it's an age old problem..
Agreed - coil whine is a hardware problem and down to poor quality control on the part of the hardware manufacturers. If you have coil whine your card is being pushed to its limits and if you are not overclocking then its down to poor hardware. Its not confined to specific manufacturers and even batches of the same card from the same manufacturer can have some cards that are ok and others that are not.

Some customers have RMA'ed their card until they received a good one but its pot luck.
Old 20th November 2016, 13:05   #40371  |  Link
Mistery 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mueslibrown View Post
I'm using Jriver and have NGU working - you obviously have to replace the Jriver madvr install with your own to use the latest version but if you had madvr working previously then you know how to do this already ...
sorry what do you mean replace JRiver mad .. JRiver always uses the latest version installed by himself
Old 20th November 2016, 13:07   #40372  |  Link
mueslibrown

NGU is working fine for me on:

Windows 8.1 (many services disabled) on HTPC only with minimal software installed
Jriver MC 21
MSI GTX 970 OC to 1315MHz with Afterburner and 'Power' set to 106
GPU usage approx 94%
720->1080p NGU High gives 30ms
Nvidia driver 375.57

I only view 720p or 1080p on a 1080p plasma so don't do any image doubling or downscaling. Just chroma and image enhancements.

One point on naming conventions - if at some point @madshi wants to take his product mainstream then I'd ditch all the 'geeky' acronym style names - niche communities love that sort of stuff, 'joe public' just wants easy understanding ...

Last edited by mueslibrown; 20th November 2016 at 13:17. Reason: additional info
Old 20th November 2016, 13:09   #40373  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mueslibrown View Post
Some customers have RMA'ed their card until they received a good one but its pot luck.
I know, better to just try a different manufacturer and or card. Your chances of getting a card that doesn't have this issue should be higher especially if one or two people tell you their card doesn't have the issue and you get the exact same card. This has probably been discussed enough now.
Old 20th November 2016, 13:15   #40374  |  Link
heiseikiseki

Quote:
Here's a new test build for those of you who still can't get NGU to activate (e.g. Optimus users):

http://madshi.net/madVR091d.rar

Installation instructions:

1) Make sure you're in release mode.
2) Overwrite the files.
3) Activate debug mode.
4) Create a short log file and upload it somewhere for me to look at (don't attach to this forum).

There's a chance it might work now. If it does, I don't need a log. If it still doesn't work, please upload a log, thanks.
The problem still exsists here.
Shortcut Key doesn't work in release mode.

And I found that if I active the OSD in debug mode, and then change to release mode.
Then The OSD keeps show in release mode.
But shortcut not work so the OSD can't be off.

And most of all,NGU doen't work in any mode.

Here is my smart log.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wojr27sdo...%20log.7z?dl=0

Environment :
Widnows 10.
GTX860m(optimus)
NO reclock and other things might access GPU.

Last edited by heiseikiseki; 20th November 2016 at 13:20.
heiseikiseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 13:15   #40375  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Jesus i know this idea very well very bad in long term it's the same as "the production machine is making problems no problem turn it up higher the output override the problem, very very bad idea" you need to fix it right know not turn it up higher to make the problem even worse.
Most of these PRE OC things at very low cost are on the Edge allready and you suggesting bringing them into the RED area where they gonna to fail much faster, what for a logic is that.

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 20th November 2016 at 13:22.
Old 20th November 2016, 13:21   #40376  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
Jesus i know this idea very well very bad in long term it's the same as are the machine is making problems no problem turn it up higher very very bad idea.
Long term? The effects of mild overclocking are negligible on cards kept well below their TDP. Hell that's why any card worth it's salt generally comes factory overlocked. Anyway, it's the results that matter and that's the end of it, if it doesn't work it doesn't work, no FUD plz.
Old 20th November 2016, 13:30   #40377  |  Link
austonrush

NGU Review and no coil whine for me

I'm running an EVGA GTX1070 black edition. I've not overclocked it and I have no graphic card monitoring tools running. I'm on windows 10 64 bit, nvidia driver 375.7. Player is mpc-hc, external lav filters & reclock. All the latest versions

I currently have no coil noise while use NGU high or medium.

I'm not sure if anyone is in agreement but, processing image enhancements with NGU are detrimental to overall image quality. I've turned them all off except enhance image which I've left at .5 for now.

To anyone who is using SR with NGU please follow @madshi advice and turn SR off! Big improvement as SR was causing bloating and some enhancement to artifacts IMHO. This also has the added effect of giving back a little extra performance.

For Scaling options I'm currently using and liking soften edges. The add grain seems to be static and causes a weird effect. In its current form I don't like it and am not using it.

So far I'm loving NGU for 720p >1080p with SSIM2D100 AR for downscaling. Chroma Reconsoft.

My current render Times: Soften edges @1 activated

720>1080 (NGU High, NGU High) No SR, SSIM2D100 AR, 36ms
720>1080 (NGU High, NGU Med) No SR, SSIM2D100 AR, 23ms
720>1080 (NNEDI3 128, NNEDI3 64) SR2, SSIM2D100 AR, 36ms
720>1080 (NNEDI3 64, NNEDI3 32) SR2, SSIM2D100 AR, 25ms

Thanks Madshi, I've had very little time to test NGU with lower quality 480 content.
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 13:31   #40378  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Long term? The effects of mild overclocking are negligible on cards kept well below their TDP. Hell that's why any card worth it's salt generally comes factory overlocked. Anyway, it's the results that matter and that's the end of it, if it doesn't work it doesn't work, no FUD plz.
Most efficient is to buy a Nvidia Reference card they are entirely optimized for that Power Efficiency and lowest latency possible not Overclocking habits of some "Gamer" that needs the reviewers chart to explode and get mostly false data presented to justify his more investment above the reference.

It seems you didn't realized that the Founders Edition AIB pricing is now at the level of a mid range positioned AIB Card, where it actually belonged in the first place.

PRE Overclocking is more and more becoming useless and creates more problems, than you seem to believe it solves.

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 20th November 2016 at 14:07.
Old 20th November 2016, 14:00   #40379  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

By the way, some vendors (like EVGA) will replace cards with coil whine. I don't know what factors into that - for instance, whether it matters if you send it in soon after purchase or if you can do it at any time during the warranty - but there are reports of people getting replacement cards. This isn't new to madVR in any way; various GPGPU applications like Folding@Home have run into it. So if this is your first time running into it, and you can stomach the annoyance of going through the RMA process, it might be worth at least looking into.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 14:23   #40380  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
So you'd like NNEDI3 to stay, but SuperRes and NEDI can go?
Removing SuperRes would be a very bad idea since it can also be useful for other scalers like Jinc.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling