Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 30th December 2014, 17:04   #1  |  Link
HeatM1ser

Why wont my Xbox One play a burned Bluray?

I decrypted it with AnyDVD, then burned the files with Nero. Its my first time trying to make a copy of one of my Bluray movies. Is there better software for doing this, and what could I have done wrong?

The Xbox recognizes the Bluray disc because I see the screen show the Bluray word...but it doesnt read the disc...but my computer plays the movie
HeatM1ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 18:52   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Your computer will play a CDR with a RealMedia file onto it, but your standalone won't play it
Old 30th December 2014, 23:12   #3  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
I decrypted it with AnyDVD, then burned the files with Nero. Its my first time trying to make a copy of one of my Bluray movies. Is there better software for doing this, and what could I have done wrong?

The Xbox recognizes the Bluray disc because I see the screen show the Bluray word...but it doesnt read the disc...but my computer plays the movie
Microsoft intentionally disable playback of burned disc in Xbox one
Old 31st December 2014, 00:42   #4  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Your computer will play a CDR with a RealMedia file onto it, but your standalone won't play it
To elaborate on this: Burning a bunch of video files on a BD-R media, simply results in a BD-R "data" disc which is containing (video) files, but not a standard-compliant BD-Video.

So this requires some kind of "media player" app (like VLC and Co), which is capable of playing video files from a "data" BD-R and which supports the video, audio and container format of your files.

I have no idea whether the Xbox One has a built-in "media player" app. And, if so, what video, audio and container format it supports

BTW: If you want to create a standard-compliant BD-Video, which would play on every "standalone" BD-player, then you need to use some kind BluRay "authoring" software.

(x264 can create standard-compliant video streams for BD-Video, but it is not a fully-fledged BD "authoring" software)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 31st December 2014 at 00:51.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 05:34   #5  |  Link
HeatM1ser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post

BTW: If you want to create a standard-compliant BD-Video, which would play on every "standalone" BD-player, then you need to use some kind BluRay "authoring" software.

(x264 can create standard-compliant video streams for BD-Video, but it is not a fully-fledged BD "authoring" software)
What is a good software program for decrypting and/or burning a Bluray to a BD-R that will play in most(if not all) Bluray players? Most of the information I have found seems to be several years old. Are blurays just that difficult to crack, or is it that they are not much better than DVD quality...or what? If someone could point me to a current thread or resource that I could learn from, I'd appreciate it greatly. I just got a 65 inch TV and an Xbox One with the hopes of watching blurays...are the graphics that much better than DVDs? Anyway...any helpful links that I could learn from would be great.

As always, thank you for your help everyone!
Old 31st December 2014, 11:24   #6  |  Link
Asmodian

Bluray is much better quality than DVD. DVDs are not very good quality encodes and they are low resolution.

The Xbox One can play media files from a USB drive but not a burned optical disc.

I suggest creating MKVs with RipBot264, BDtoAVCHD, Hybrid, MeGUI, or similar.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015, 04:55   #7  |  Link
HeatM1ser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Bluray is much better quality than DVD. DVDs are not very good quality encodes and they are low resolution.

The Xbox One can play media files from a USB drive but not a burned optical disc.

I suggest creating MKVs with RipBot264, BDtoAVCHD, Hybrid, MeGUI, or similar.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!!!
Old 13th January 2015, 03:58   #8  |  Link
HeatM1ser

By the way, will another Bluray player play burned blurays that the Xbox wouldnt?

I may be buying a Sony surround sound system with a Bluray player, or a Vizio 5.1 sound bar and satellite speaker setup without a bluray player.....so if a Sony bluray player will play burned bluray movies, I;d shell out the extra money to get the included blueray player

Also, what should the read/ write speeds be on a flash drive to stream a bluray movie without problems?

Last edited by HeatM1ser; 14th January 2015 at 02:15.
Old 14th January 2015, 21:51   #9  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Also, what should the read/ write speeds be on a flash drive to stream a bluray movie without problems?
A compressed rip of a bluray or a simple copy of a bluray?

You needs ~65 Mbps for a copy of a bluray but much less for a compressed rip, how much less depends on how you do the rip.
Old 15th January 2015, 07:09   #10  |  Link
HeatM1ser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
A compressed rip of a bluray or a simple copy of a bluray?

You needs ~65 Mbps for a copy of a bluray but much less for a compressed rip, how much less depends on how you do the rip.
What if I wanted to stream an uncompressed bluray in mkv format?

I bought THIS 3.0 flash drive and wasnt sure if it was fast enough

Edit: I guess I'll need at least a 64GB flash drive too(for best mkv quality)...right?

Last edited by HeatM1ser; 15th January 2015 at 07:17.
Old 15th January 2015, 09:41   #11  |  Link
Asmodian

The 65 Mbps was for the "as was on the disk" video and should be enough to stream the unmodified bluray video (muxed to mkv or not), that one says 90 Mbps read so it should be fine. Uncompressed video would need a lot more but I understand you meant not re-compressed.

Blurays can hold ~50 GB but often the movie is closer to 25 GB so a 32 GB drive can be enough for one movie, a larger one would be nice.
Old 15th January 2015, 10:29   #12  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

The reliability will be more the limiting factor than speed; a lot of flash drives suck, they're slow and often randomly stall for a few seconds. Corsair and Kingston are the best ones I have, compared to all the no-names from vendors. Nothing beats an SSD bridge, but that's kind of awkward to hang off a TV or console.

That USB 3 drive sounds good, though, let us know how well it works.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 20:34   #13  |  Link
HeatM1ser

ok....if I have troubles with the flash drive, I'll return it for another on...thanks guys! Its expected to arrive tomorrow, so I should be able to update you on if the drive was good enough to stream without skipping.
Old 17th January 2015, 19:18   #14  |  Link
HeatM1ser

Ok...got the flash drive and I'm having problems. I formatted it using FAT32, which left just over 30GB worth of space. I tried to put an 18GB mkv on the flash drive and get an error. What can I do?
Old 17th January 2015, 19:24   #15  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Don't format it using FAT32. FAT32 is limited to a maximum of 4GB per file. You need NTFS or exFAT for bigger files.
Old 17th January 2015, 20:00   #16  |  Link
HeatM1ser

Well, One mistake I made was plugging the flash drive into the TVs USB port. When I plugged it into the Xbox One, it recognize the movie enough to show a picture, but when I tried to play the movie on the Xbox One, it said it was an unsupported file format(mkv)...what can I do? I just want to play bluray quality videos from a USB drive on my Xbox One or TV

Last edited by HeatM1ser; 17th January 2015 at 20:11.
Old 17th January 2015, 22:49   #17  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Well, One mistake I made was plugging the flash drive into the TVs USB port. When I plugged it into the Xbox One, it recognize the movie enough to show a picture, but when I tried to play the movie on the Xbox One, it said it was an unsupported file format(mkv)...what can I do? I just want to play bluray quality videos from a USB drive on my Xbox One or TV
It's very simple - read the manuals of both things to see what they support.
Old 18th January 2015, 00:49   #18  |  Link
HeatM1ser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
It's very simple - read the manuals of both things to see what they support.
Thats simply an ignorant response. Its unnecessary to take your misery out on others. Everyone else has been helpful so far until you came and posted that.Completely useless, and the sad thing is that you know it. I truly pity you.
Old 18th January 2015, 09:45   #19  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Well, I understand that asking is simpler than trying to figure out for yourself.. but you haven't even the level 1 of homeworks completed.

You have a file and and you have troubles with it. Why? Nobody else than you should know why because it's you the one that made this file. It appears to be an MKV, of a rather big size, which fairly suggests it's a BDREMUX, that is the video is most probably H.264 and the audio at least DD if not HDaudio.

Have you checked whther your players support this? In my misery I alsways check at the store whether my new player would support what I intend to play. Moreover, have you checked whther, assuming they support it, they also support it from burned optical media, network or USB? Many don't. My players do not support any of them MP3 from DVDR, yet they are happy to play them from anything else, network, CDR, USB etc.

If any of the answers is NO, you have to do something - either a workaround, or a change in hardware (a new player).

PS: to keep a 17GB file (or a BD25) on an USB stick one can use a 32GB, 64 is however recommended at today's prices (and for BD50). Provided it's formatted NTFS (or ext2/ext3). Which poses the problem that some (older) players do not support it.
Old 18th January 2015, 13:20   #20  |  Link
hello_hello

I don't own an XBox anything but there's a list of supported file types for the Xbox One here:
http://support.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-o...dia-player-faq
The "coming late 2014" description for MKV implies MKV wasn't supported initially, but added via some sort of firmware/software update, which a quick Google seems to confirm:
http://news.xbox.com/2014/08/xbox-on...yer-smartglass
In the process of searching, I stumbled upon a list of the video and audio types supported within an MKV container:
http://support.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-o...eo/mkv-support

If you try to play a supported file type containing an unsupported type of audio or video, most players will display a message to that effect, or maybe an unsupported codec message (as opposed to an unsupported file type). I'd assume the Xbox One would probably do the same. It's not uncommon for a certain type of video or audio to be supported in one container (file type) but not another.

The MKV specs are evolving, and sometimes that'll upset a player even though it supports MKV (ie it'll play old MKVs fine but not always more recently created ones), however that's a different issue again.
https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/
https://trac.bunkus.org/wiki/FAQ%3AI...ityWithPlayers

Last edited by hello_hello; 18th January 2015 at 13:32.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote