Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 24th February 2022, 12:49   #1  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Anyone got any experience with 4k/UHD/OLED laptop displays they could share?

Title, really... I've been thinking of breaking free of the limitations of 6-bit dithered laptop displays (is there such a thing as a fully 8-bit one, without going to UHD?) and maybe it's time to go 4k as well. But I've never programmed for high DPI before (Windows, C++, wxWidgets) so I'm not sure what's involved.

Anyone got any experiences they'd care to share? Do many programs break or stay shrunk on Windows these days? Or does Windows do a blurry upscale if a program isn't high-DPI aware?

Oh and 120fps/144fps screens too, if there is anything interesting to know about them.
Old 27th February 2022, 00:33   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

If it's about user experience: yes, one Win10 UHD system here, not OLED, but 100% Adobe gamut: AU Optronics AU309B (8bit).
Well worth it. Big gain for CAD, stills, video.
Chroma and it values have a new meaning now, already on the editing desktop, not only later on the OLED TV X-}

A bit harder to use on anything basic.
User just has got to be aware and order Windows to scale per program.

I am globally using 150%, but have to call exemptions.
Some GUIs need to stay at 100% and come out rendered tiny, so a challenge for older eyes.
(Vegas for instance, otherwise second monitor will shift and add black bar on one side only.)
MWSnap (Screenshots) also need special settings.

Well, at my birth 2 watchmakers were present, and one died shortly after...

A few other GUIs come out blurry, yes, but this is no showstopper at all. We've learnt to call that antialiasing, haven't we ?
I am not dropping Win7/XP FHD/UXGA systems, these are still good to go,
(6bit being down the toilet ot course, I have to live with that on the previous 6 systems, ease of handling and readability is still worth it.)

From a user side I see no big shift a programmer should have to make, even abandoned software runs beautifully here.
(...provided user is willing to jump through many hoops for the first weeks and finally getting Win10/11 chained tightly...)
And I am NOT encouraging anyone to go Win10 for that reason only....

Last edited by Emulgator; 27th February 2022 at 01:03.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2022, 04:11   #3  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Emulgator mentioned 2nd monitor,
I use 1280x1024 4:3 2nd monitor with a 4K HDR10 on W10,
I occasionally have problems with DGIndexNV and MeGUI,
where window was last used on 4:3 2nd monitor, and when try to run again
at later date, does not show [appears on taskbar but no visible window].
With DGINdexNV, can go find its .ini file in same dir as DGIndexNV and change window coords for both windows to 0,0.
With MeGUI I usually just disable 2nd monitor, then run MeGUI and it appear, then enable 2nd monitor again.
A bit of a pain, but no great hold up.

EDIT: I had no idea that some laptops have only 6 bit color. [well not since bout W95/W2K]
EDIT: 4K 10bit, and 1280x1024 8bit, work OK together on W10; nvidia card [except for above disappearing windows thingy].
Also, I probably throw a little bit of a spanner in the works by having my 4:3 monitor on left of 4K, instead of
right of 4K [they sort of by default assume 2ndary monitor is right of primary monitor. In the display arrange graphic,
you can move the 2ndary to left of primary with the mouse].

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th February 2022 at 05:14.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2022, 13:00   #4  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
Well, at my birth 2 watchmakers were present, and one died shortly after...
Umm... huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
EDIT: I had no idea that some laptops have only 6 bit color. [well not since bout W95/W2K]
I think most are, unless otherwise specified. There's a handy utility called Ditherig for controlling the Intel dithering which fools you into thinking the display is better than 6 bit (turn it off and you'll easily see banding).