Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 20th August 2018, 18:35   #61  |  Link
huhn

what do you want intel to do not optimise for there architecture
?
what should x265 do ignore help should they ignore there biggest customer base?
ryzen supports AVX2 and it is slower than the intel version and that'S the newest instruction.

you are aware that intel cpu are not rarely run better on linux too just like amd CPUs...

there is a lot shady stuff happening and most can't be seen here. but this is not shady.

what new CPU feature should they focus on? AVX512 was already in CPUs in 2015. amd even retired there 3Dnow!.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2018, 20:47   #62  |  Link
NikosD

So...The mythical monster chip that Intel was hiding in the closet is just a poor old Skylake X/Cascade Lake (?) 28C/56T CPU, unlocked and overclocked in order to justify its skyrocketed price and power consumption.

Intel will release it on December though, so we have to wait a little more to see who is going to justify again Intel's decisions regarding new CPUs.

Last edited by NikosD; 10th October 2018 at 18:55.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 14:55   #63  |  Link
huhn

zen 2 looks like it is fixing quite some issues that zen has.

up to 8 core per die 256 bit AVX.

so it's no longer a dream that we my end up with a CPU with a single CCX with no ram latency limitation.

to bad they only showed rome.
Old 7th November 2018, 17:34   #64  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

But you will get 16C (2 dies + IO die) for the price of 9900k. Regarding AVX. Yes x265 will work noticeable faster now!

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 7th November 2018 at 17:36.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 18:55   #65  |  Link
huhn

i'm pretty sure i'll be fine with 8 cores.
Old 7th November 2018, 19:26   #66  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Mainstream just doesn't need 16 cores at this time. It barely needs 8. It would be rather annoying if the only offering they have is two CPU dies, and lower core counts being half-disabled. I rather have an optimized 8-core in one die with no inter-die communication troubles.
IMHO Ryzen should stay 8-cores and anyone that wants 16 can get ThreadRipper.
Old 7th November 2018, 22:48   #67  |  Link
huhn

if i understood it correctly PCIe is still on the cores so two dies are not welcome to me.
Old 8th November 2018, 12:23   #68  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Mainstream just doesn't need 16 cores at this time. It barely needs 8. It would be rather annoying if the only offering they have is two CPU dies, and lower core counts being half-disabled. I rather have an optimized 8-core in one die with no inter-die communication troubles.
IMHO Ryzen should stay 8-cores and anyone that wants 16 can get ThreadRipper.
Who cares what mainstream needs! Streamers will love 16c ryzen.
Even overclocked 9900k is too slow for 1080p60fps with preset medium. BTW. Few years ago people were also saying mainstream does not need 16 thread cpu. Without AMD you would be stuck in never ending 4 core era. AMD may release 16c ryzen just to show middle finger to intels 9900k.

INTEL: Look AMD we also have 16 thread cpu!
AMD: HOLD MY BEER!

AMD did similar move with 2990WX (32C/64T) this year. In this case middle finger to Intels 18C/36T HEDT.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 8th November 2018 at 12:28.
Old 8th November 2018, 13:03   #69  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Who cares what mainstream needs!
99% of everyone, thats who. We already have 16c CPUs, its called ThreadRipper.

High-end gaming CPUs is where AMD needs to catch up right now, and more cores is not going to do it anymore, not in 2018/19. A 16c Ryzen would be no competition to a 9900k, not for gaming, not unless they can also close the ST gap.
An 8c with higher IPC and higher clock, that would show up a 9900k. Cores is easy, and cores is also not everything.

I'm sure they could easily release a 16c Ryzen if they wanted to. I'm just saying thats not what I want to buy. I want a really fast 8c with no compromises (ie. no half-disabled dies, no inter-die latency problems, etc), with supreme ST performance as well as decent MT, because a lot of things I do are still ST bound.

I don't care about stupid fights who has the most cores or whatever. I care about a CPU that makes sense for my needs, which align with the majority of high-end gamers as it happens.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 8th November 2018 at 13:14.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 13:56   #70  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Threadripper has 4 channels while Ryzen only 2. So segmentation is maintained. I do not understand why you complain about performance in games. 2700x with improved turbo boost work very well in games. Performance is slower due to weaker 128bit avx unit.(many newer games use AVX). Zen2 fixes that.
Old 8th November 2018, 15:17   #71  |  Link
huhn

if you bottleneck the GPU ryzen 2 is fine but if you want to run very high FPS like 240/144 hz stable it simply can't compete the latency issues are simply killing it.

and newer games don't use AVX in a way that it is the main speed concern the issue for AMD currently is ram latency and the clockspeed. pre sandy bridge CPU are still performing as expected in new games.

or do you really think OC ram in CPU limited scenarios are magical making AVX much faster on AMD but not on intel and just look at threadripper when it is used with all cores it so unbelievable slow in games.
Old 8th November 2018, 15:21   #72  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
and newer games don't use AVX in a way that it is the main speed concern the issue for AMD currently is ram latency and the clockspeed. pre sandy bridge CPU are still performing as expected in new games.
Frostbite engine (for example BFV strongly uses AVX) and Unreal Engine 4 use AVX.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/art...-optimizations

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 8th November 2018 at 15:25.
Old 8th November 2018, 16:08   #73  |  Link
huhn

this was march 2018 so at an even later date this engine is used in games and can you remember a game that updated there unity engine and got a major performance boost that can be pointed at AVX? me neither.

how can you claim BFV is using AVX >heavily< if it isn't even out yet.
Old 8th November 2018, 16:39   #74  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
this was march 2018 so at an even later date this engine is used in games and can you remember a game that updated there unity engine and got a major performance boost that can be pointed at AVX? me neither.

how can you claim BFV is using AVX >heavily< if it isn't even out yet.
Have you ever heard about open beta? Some guy analyzed BFV in Vtune (if I remember correctly) and noticed that AVX instructions are used a lot more than in BF1. I wouldn't be surprised if new tomb raider was also optimized for avx. Some claim that Project Cars 2 also uses avx.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 8th November 2018 at 16:45.
Old 8th November 2018, 17:03   #75  |  Link
huhn

the open beta start tomorrow.

and again i'm not saying AVX isn't used i'm just questioning if it a major concern.

battlefield one runs as expected on a sandy bridge CPU which doesn't have AVX2. i'm not aware of a any prove that performance differences between generations is from AVX differences not clockspeed/IPC.
Old 8th November 2018, 18:40   #76  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
the open beta start tomorrow.

and again i'm not saying AVX isn't used i'm just questioning if it a major concern.

battlefield one runs as expected on a sandy bridge CPU which doesn't have AVX2. i'm not aware of a any prove that performance differences between generations is from AVX differences not clockspeed/IPC.
You must be living in alternative universe
https://www.ea.com/games/battlefield...a-announcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAsy...re=em-comments

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 8th November 2018 at 18:45.
Old 9th November 2018, 02:43   #77  |  Link
huhn

ok sorry this game is not on my rader and never will be on it be i seriously see a big problem in this random comment

so let's assume everything is 100 % AVX code in new games.
because there is no word about AVX2 the problem for zen is AVX2 not AVX 128 bit is not good but fine or at least on par with jaguar.

the next thing... battlefield 5 is a console game what do consoles use as a CPU AMD jaguar what can an AMD jaguar do native AVX not AVX2.

and the PC gaming margin is only 10% maybe 20% it so meaningless compared to console and they will optimise for the console. they will look into the PC port in there spare time.

than we have tests like this and not random comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4k_ErEg-FU

and they doesn't even try to get high framerates totally ignoring the possibility to play at lower graphic settings to get your target framerate.
Old 9th November 2018, 07:30   #78  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
because there is no word about AVX2 the problem for zen is AVX2 not AVX 128 bit is not good but fine or at least on par with jaguar.
Both AVX and AVX2 are 256-bit. AVX is floating point, AVX2 is integer and FMA. In simplified terms.
Old 9th November 2018, 13:28   #79  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
ok sorry this game is not on my rader and never will be on it be i seriously see a big problem in this random comment

the next thing... battlefield 5 is a console game what do consoles use as a CPU AMD jaguar what can an AMD jaguar do native AVX not AVX2.

and the PC gaming margin is only 10% maybe 20% it so meaningless compared to console and they will optimise for the console. they will look into the PC port in there spare time.

than we have tests like this and not random comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4k_ErEg-FU

and they doesn't even try to get high framerates totally ignoring the possibility to play at lower graphic settings to get your target framerate.
Even AVX1 code runs noticeable slower on zen
Old 9th November 2018, 16:38   #80  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Both AVX and AVX2 are 256-bit. AVX is floating point, AVX2 is integer and FMA. In simplified terms.
because you really know this stuff can you elevate the use of the 128 bit version of AVX which is unofficially called AVX 128.

or is there little to nothing you can gain from doing it this way?