Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th March 2015, 15:05   #28521  |  Link
tobindac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
DXVA chroma upscaling use built-in scaling in your GPU. It is faster, but most likely offers lower quality than madVR's algorithms (at least some of them).
I suspected the new setting does something other than just changing the algorithm the way we change it manually in settings. It refers to "decoding". But decoding is now removed from madvr, and when I use native DXVA decoding in LAV, the new madvr OSD still reports the nnedi3 algorithm I had set.
tobindac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 15:16   #28522  |  Link
kalston

Nice update.

Anyone else ditched the fullscreen exclusive mode completely in favour of the windowed overlay mode btw? Performance for me is about the same (say 1-2ms increased rendering times at the most) but it has the advantage of not enabling g-sync* and having perfectly smooth transitions between windowed and fullscreen (not the slightest dropped or delayed frames or glitches). No tearing issues either despite running with Aero disabled (and thus v-sync along with it). Also, it only outputs 24fps instead of 144hz but I don't see that as being a problem, it's equally smooth. Oh and I can keep the JRiver overlay UI in fullscreen with the audio path info etc. being clearly visible. Really nice.

*disabling g-sync on a per-application basis doesn't work very well with current nvidia drivers, it works with MPC for example but not with JRiver MC20. Having to disable the global g-sync feature every time I want to watch a film is a hassle.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 15:35   #28523  |  Link
clsid

madshi, can you give more details regarding the Optimus fix? That might help the MPC-HC devs to fix similar issues with EVR-CP.

Quote:
Isn't chroma upscaling on Intel done via Lanczos?
Someone said it is comparable in quality, so it probably uses an algorithm similar to Lanczos. The benefit of DXVA scaling is that it doesn't use Shaders, but fixed function stuff on the GPU.
Quote:
I suspected the new setting does something other than just changing the algorithm the way we change it manually in settings. It refers to "decoding". But decoding is now removed from madvr, and when I use native DXVA decoding in LAV, the new madvr OSD still reports the nnedi3 algorithm I had set.
No, it isn't directly related to decoding. It just means that if you are using DXVA decoding, you can use DXVA for other stuff as well without extra overhead. The new options apply to chroma scaling only, not luma scaling.
Old 30th March 2015, 15:38   #28524  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

I have a 6-bit IPS display with really terrible built-in dithering (even perfect gradients have very noticeable banding) and it confirms this
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
In theory setting your display to a lower bitdepth in the madVR "device" setup should result in stronger dithering, which should increase the noise floor slightly, but should decrease banding artifacts.
Dithering to 8 and even 7 bit depth is not enough, it looks good only at 6.

However there's no one oddity that I can't explain: when dithering to a lower bitdepth some parts of the image are shifted by ~1 pixel. For example bottom half of the image is moving here:
8 bit http://i.imgur.com/Rd3SIlm.png
6 bit http://i.imgur.com/4rHnHMe.png
At first I thought it's a madVR bug, but then I compared screenshoots on other displays and they don't show this difference. Same happens with my own dithering. I wonder what my display is even doing...

The main problem of DXVA-things is that they're limited to 8 bit precision. It leads to banding and extra noise (from dithering before it).
Lanc3+AR: http://firepic.org/images/2015-03/30/mhg6xqrhqr6f.png
DXVA: http://firepic.org/images/2015-03/30/kzuelukvcncj.png
(2x upscaling)

I wonder if it would be noticeable on chroma...

Last edited by vivan; 30th March 2015 at 16:15.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 16:09   #28525  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobindac View Post
Can you explain this setting? I use the internal LAV on mpc-hc to do DXVA native decoding but the new OSD reports the nnedi3 setting I had for upscaling.
Are you using NNEDI3 for chroma or image/luma upscaling? And are you really doing native DXVA decoding or maybe copyback DXVA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
I believe the reasoning behind this change is to give better performance for DXVA users out of the box. If they use DXVA it is most likely that they want performance.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
madshi, can you give more details regarding the Optimus fix? That might help the MPC-HC devs to fix similar issues with EVR-CP.
I'm not fully sure the fix is working yet. I don't have an Optimus laptop to test this. I suspect that the VSync scanline APIs (GetRasterStatus etc) don't work properly on Optimus laptops. So the fix is make sure rendering still works (more or less) even those APIs don't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
The main problem of DXVA-things is that they're limited to 8 bit precision. It leads to banding and extra noise (from dithering before it).
Lanc3+AR: http://firepic.org/images/2015-03/30/mhg6xqrhqr6f.png
DXVA: http://firepic.org/images/2015-03/30/kzuelukvcncj.png
(2x upscaling)
True. That shouldn't harm when using DXVA decoding/deinterlacing, though, because those are usually 8bit, anyway. So the new DXVA trade for quality options shouldn't suffer much from the 8bit limitation.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 16:10   #28526  |  Link
Vyral

Thanks for the new version madshi !

Quote:
* added scaling algorithm information to OSD
Nice ! I don't need to open madVR settings to make sure the right scaling algorithms are used anymore.

Quote:
* removed option "use alternative interop hack (not recommended, AMD only)"
The original interop hack for AMD GPU is still here, right ?
Old 30th March 2015, 16:16   #28527  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

For some reason new version detects some 1080p videos (.m2ts from BD, .mts from camera) as BT.601.
http://i.imgur.com/8mL1KOe.png

0.87.14 detects them as BT.709.
Old 30th March 2015, 16:19   #28528  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyral View Post
The original interop hack for AMD GPU is still here, right ?
Not sure what you mean. The v0.87.15 OpenCL behaviour should be identical to the v0.87.14 default setup.

Quote:
For some reason new version detects some 1080p videos (.m2ts from BD, .mts from camera) as BT.601.

0.87.14 detects them as BT.709.
Weird! Can you provide a small sample? Probably 10MB should do, just enough so that I can see the incorrect detection.
Old 30th March 2015, 16:20   #28529  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Sample http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...92264598428867
10 MB sample http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...37763555941348

Last edited by vivan; 30th March 2015 at 16:40.
Old 30th March 2015, 16:29   #28530  |  Link
FireFreak111

Is there a reason I get 0.87.14 when I open the link on any browser? I have tried 11 times, keep getting 0.87.14. Is there anything I can do to not get the seemingly cached version?
FireFreak111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 16:36   #28531  |  Link
kalston

Tried simply ctrl + f5 to refresh the cache? Alternatively go here http://www.videohelp.com/software/ma...sions#download
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 16:37   #28532  |  Link
Vyral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFreak111 View Post
Is there a reason I get 0.87.14 when I open the link on any browser? I have tried 11 times, keep getting 0.87.14. Is there anything I can do to not get the seemingly cached version?
Try that link : http://www.videohelp.com/software/ma...sions#download
Old 30th March 2015, 17:16   #28533  |  Link
derpycat

I've been using madvr for a couple of years, and in that time I've always had LAV Video filter set to DXVA2 copy-back on my AMD card, with the understanding that native doesn't support hardware acceleration, or something like that. I've just always read that AMD users should pick copy-back.

I'm now seeing some people recommend native over copy-back. I gave it a try and I see no difference in GPU load, though native seems to be using about 70mb more Vram on one video (not a big deal). Rendering stats seem almost identical as well. I'm making sure that the LAV Video filter is reporting the correct active decoder each time I change.

Can someone please tell me if native is now the preferred option, and also why I might not be seeing any difference in performance?
derpycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 17:20   #28534  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Sample
Thanks, will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpycat View Post
Can someone please tell me if native is now the preferred option
No, it's not. All the options have their advantages and disadvantages. If one option was clearly preferred, there would be no need to offer an option at all.
Old 30th March 2015, 17:28   #28535  |  Link
derpycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Thanks, will be fixed in the next build.

No, it's not. All the options have their advantages and disadvantages. If one option was clearly preferred, there would be no need to offer an option at all.
Ok. I assumed some of the options were there for compatibility, as is often the case with these things. I was also asking because I couldn't find what those advantages and disadvantages might be. All I found were technical definitions of the two. Could you give me an example of a practical difference?

Last edited by derpycat; 30th March 2015 at 17:34.
Old 30th March 2015, 17:38   #28536  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Simply try them and use what works best for you. I would recommend to use either DXVA copyback, or software decoding, but that's just my personal opinion. Some madVR features don't work with native DXVA, mainly forced film mode.
Old 30th March 2015, 17:39   #28537  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpycat View Post
Ok. I assumed some of the options were there for compatibility, as is often the case with these things. I was also asking because I couldn't find what those advantages and disadvantages might be. All I found were technical definitions of the two. Could you give me an example of a practical difference?
DXVA native doesn't work with other filter like vsfilter. you can't use force film mode or the decimation feature of madVR.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 17:54   #28538  |  Link
derpycat

Alright, thanks. I'll go back to copy-back.

Edit: Turns out I have a file (the only one) that shows a difference between copy-back and software decoding. It's a 120fps clip, and apparently AMD's cards, or at least the drivers, aren't capable of playing back 120fps. I guess I'll stick with software decoding then.

Last edited by derpycat; 31st March 2015 at 03:59.
Old 30th March 2015, 18:04   #28539  |  Link
FireFreak111

Last thing, assuming the 'Use separate device' options are DXGI options (I'm likely wrong), is there any chance of using the new DXGI flip model on Windows 8+ (only the OS needed, no new hardware) for performance, or is that at the player level (MPC-HC)?

Quote from page:
'Performance improvements of DXGI flip model are significant when the app is in windowed mode.'

It would be awesome to see even less CPU copying .

Also thanks for that link, got a new madVR version before my internet goes for a month.

Last edited by FireFreak111; 30th March 2015 at 18:08.
FireFreak111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 20:00   #28540  |  Link
mark0077

Thanks madshi, new version works great. Quick question for anyone. If it has been already answered please delete this, I couldn't find the answer in the guide or from searching.

Does madVR still use the logic that if height > 1024, to use 709 matrix, or should I be using profiles to achieve this? Currently watching blu-rays like Avatar, the matrix is seen to be set to "BT.601 [best guess]" and primaries "SMPTE C [best guess]". I can only assume it should be BT.709 but I'm not sure whether I need to add this to a profile myself?
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling