Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th January 2018, 15:08   #48521  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
I appreciate that 3D isnt for everyone but I cant help feeling those that are against it just haven't had the right experience with it at home.
I don't even like it in the cinema, so what chance does home have?
Old 20th January 2018, 15:19   #48522  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I actually prefer the home now to if i'm being honest, you just dont get the black performance you get at the cinema, everything look loads better on my OLED.

Sound is defo better at the cinema for me though, my setup is in my lounge and it isnt ideal but its good enough.

I think you might be in a minority here, however we're all glad you are prepared to put your own feeling about 3D to one side and develop for everyone.

Thanks again for all your hard work and for taking the time to engage us all in conversation.

Its very much appreciated.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 15:20   #48523  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Fair call, I notice frame drops every time they happen now, I recently updated my drivers and it knocked my custom res out and of course I notice this frame drop and had to redo my custom res.
Frame drops/repeats are cancer, I'd rather not take the resolution hit enabling Smooth Motion, so yeah totally understand where you're coming from. Nvidia needs to get it together to improve this out of the box.
I agree. Even with a custom res I wasn't able to eliminate frame drops this time. That's annoying. Before I had it like 1 every 3 hours which is perfect for the average movie. I got it to 1 every 9 minutes before I left for vacation. I'll mess with it more when I get back. Madvr it's great with the custom res feature.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 20th January 2018, 16:13   #48524  |  Link
el Filou

You mean after every driver update you have to re-do the custom refresh rate optimisation, and it's not guaranteed the results will be as good as earlier? There isn't a way to save the custom refresh rates settings before updating the drivers and restore them afterwards?
Old 20th January 2018, 16:14   #48525  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I agree. Even with a custom res I wasn't able to eliminate frame drops this time. That's annoying. Before I had it like 1 every 3 hours which is perfect for the average movie. I got it to 1 every 9 minutes before I left for vacation. I'll mess with it more when I get back. Madvr it's great with the custom res feature.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
If you are on nVidia, please can you provide a step by step regarding using CRU to create a custom profile for 1080p23FP that would work with MadVR? I tried and wasn't able to.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 16:29   #48526  |  Link
jasonwc18

Relative quality difference between NGU Sharp High vs. Very High

What's the relative quality difference between using NGU Sharp in High vs. Very High modes for Luma doubling? They both look excellent on my 120" screen from an 11' seating distance but it's hard to compare them without doing A/B comparisons with individual frames. With Very Sharp, you get High quality (as opposed to Medium) compression artifact removal which is a perk. The madvr GUI shows that the Very High setting yields a sharpness improvement and slightly less ringing but its not clear to what extent this is visible. For example, x264 "Placebo" mode also yields a small improvement but massively increases the performance impact. I'm wondering if NGU Very High is similar.

Also, as a general setting, does it make sense to turn on debanding? I currently have it set to Low/High but since I generally watch high quality Blu-Ray sources, I generally only see a benefit for fade ins/outs. It does makes a significant improvement at the beginning of the Planet Earth II episodes on Blu-Ray (one of the nice thinks about the UHD Blu-Ray's is that the 10 bit color eliminates this banding - clearly visible on the Planet Earth II UHD BDs). I read that the higher settings remove detail so I'm hesitant to use a higher setting for default debanding strength.

Last edited by jasonwc18; 20th January 2018 at 16:37.
jasonwc18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 16:39   #48527  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc18 View Post
What's the relative quality difference between using NGU Sharp in High vs. Very High modes for Luma doubling? They both look excellent on my 120" screen from an 11' seating distance but it's hard to compare them without doing A/B comparisons with individual frames. With Very Sharp, you get High quality (as opposed to Medium) compression artifact removal which is a perk. The madvr GUI shows that the Very High setting yields a sharpness improvement and slightly less ringing but its not clear to what extent this is visible. For example, x264 "Placebo" mode also yields a small improvement but massively increases the performance impact. I'm wondering if NGU Very High is similar.

Also, as a general setting, does it make sense to turn on debanding? I currently have it set to Low/High but since I generally watch high quality Blu-Ray sources, I generally only see a benefit for fade ins/outs. It does makes a significant improvement at the beginning of the Planet Earth II episodes on Blu-Ray (one of the nice thinks about the UHD Blu-Ray's is that the 10 bit color eliminates this banding - clearly visible on the Planet Earth II UHD BDs). I read that the higher settings remove detail so I'm hesitant to use a higher setting for default debanding strength.
debanding - you lose detail even on low, this should be off and only used for really poor quality content.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 16:41   #48528  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc18 View Post
They both look excellent on my 120" screen from an 11' seating distance but it's hard to compare them without doing A/B comparisons with individual frames.
Then do comparisons with individual frames.
MPC-HC can go directly to a frame number, I guess other players have that feature too.
It's always best to compare yourself because every setup is different and every person has different preferences.
Old 20th January 2018, 16:46   #48529  |  Link
jasonwc18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
debanding - you lose detail even on low, this should be off and only used for really poor quality content.
Good to know; then I might as well keep my current settings. With Luma set to NGU Sharp Very High, Chroma set to NGU AA Medium, artifact removal at High, and a 3D LUT in use, I'm getting render times of around 25 ms on a GTX 1070. Debanding brought that over 30 ms.

I have been avoiding the deringing filter for the same reason you mentioned. I read it shouldn't be used on high quality sources.
Old 20th January 2018, 21:01   #48530  |  Link
Asmodian

It is pretty small, I could relate it to placebo in x264. It is better, and so is x264's placebo mode, but each step of NGU Sharp is less important. I think the quality v.s. performance hit of NGU veryhigh compared to high is better than x264's placebo compared to veryslow, but not drastically so. The choice is also a bit different because x264's placebo takes a lot more time (and thus power) while NGU veryhigh simply takes more power. You need all NGUs to run in real time to be able to use them at all.

Medium is a lot better than low, high is noticeably better than medium, and very high is a bit better than high. At least this is what I noticed during my testing. For luma I always run very high if I can.

For chroma I was convinced to stay at high or below all the time, I have never noticed quality improvements during playback with very high for chroma and there have even been a few examples where very high seemed a little worse. There isn't much fine detail in chroma, sub-sampling is very damaging, so the extra power used for very high is simply wasted.
Old 20th January 2018, 21:17   #48531  |  Link
ryrynz

Asmodian's comments were my exact findings also.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 21:19   #48532  |  Link
jasonwc18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It is pretty small, I could relate it to placebo in x264. It is better, and so is x264's placebo mode, but each step of NGU Sharp is less important. I think the quality v.s. performance hit of NGU veryhigh compared to high is better than x264's placebo compared to veryslow, but not drastically so. The choice is also a bit different because x264's placebo takes a lot more time (and thus power) while NGU veryhigh simply takes more power. You need all NGUs to run in real time to be able to use them at all.

Medium is a lot better than low, high is noticeably better than medium, and very high is a bit better than high. At least this is what I noticed during my testing. For luma I always run very high if I can.

For chroma I was convinced to stay at high or below all the time, I have never noticed quality improvements during playback with very high for chroma and there have even been a few examples where very high seemed a little worse. There isn't much fine detail in chroma, sub-sampling is very damaging, so the extra power used for very high is simply wasted.
Thanks, this was very helpful!
Old 20th January 2018, 21:19   #48533  |  Link
Rexian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You really need to try it with a 2016 OLED (C/E/G6). Of course bigger the better (saw a demo on 77" G6 and it was much better than theater) when it comes to 3D but even on my 65" E6, it looks awesome. Probably because I sit right in front of it and in theater you don't have much control. The active 3D on Samsung sucks and gave me headache at a friend's place and almost wrote off 3D
Rexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 21:38   #48534  |  Link
James_b

MadVR meets old school CRT-projector from the 90's (1920 x 816 / 71.952Hz) 2,2 m screen

MPC madVR + DXVA downscaling, Sharpness complex 2 post Scaling.

Nvidea edge enhancement 47% 0-255 + Nvidea Video gamma ramps at 1.24 ---> Moome HDMI-card in Projector, 0-255

CPU Quad 2,4. Videocard, MSI GT 710 2GD3H LP ~900 mHz

Attached Images

Last edited by James_b; 20th January 2018 at 22:28.
James_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 21:42   #48535  |  Link
ryrynz

Unfortunately though having a good 3D experience on a single outdated TV doesn't really make the solution terribly attractive xD

James, upload those to an image host and link em, they'll be pending 4dayz.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 05:09   #48536  |  Link
Dodgexander

Questions

1. Does MadVR support hardware acceleration for HEVC?
There is a lot of info out there that states MadVR doesn't support hardware decoding for HEVC, even with 9xx 10xx series Nvidia cards.

2. What is the minimum recommended video card now for upscaling to UHD? I don't care so much about using advance scalers, just basic.

3. Will it be possible to output 2x HDMi, one to an older receiver, one to an UHD display without any issues? I read HDMI clone/extended will work for this purpose. I have a non Atmos AVR but want to keep UHD whilst retaining True HD/DTS HD sound.
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 05:21   #48537  |  Link
Asmodian

1) LAV Video does the hardware decoding, madVR has nothing to do with it. Hardware decoding of HEVC with LAV+madVR works very well on my Titan X (Pascal).

2) 1050 Ti, or maybe anything with 3 or more GB of RAM.

3) Yes
Old 21st January 2018, 05:22   #48538  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post
1. Does MadVR support hardware acceleration for HEVC?
There is a lot of info out there that states MadVR doesn't support hardware decoding for HEVC, even with 9xx 10xx series Nvidia cards.
madVR has nothing todo with acceleration support. lavfilter can decode HEVC and you can renderer them with madVR.
madVR doesn't have decoders anymore.
Quote:
2. What is the minimum recommended video card now for upscaling to UHD? I don't care so much about using advance scalers, just basic.
1050 ti or you risk running out of memory.
Quote:
3. Will it be possible to output 2x HDMi, one to an older receiver, one to an UHD display without any issues? I read HDMI clone/extended will work for this purpose. I have a non Atmos AVR but want to keep UHD whilst retaining True HD/DTS HD sound.
this should work but i'm not going to garantie you a issue free playback at this point.
you don't have to clone it you just have to send an image to the AVR that's it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 05:26   #48539  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_b View Post
Nvidea edge enhancement 47% 0-255 + Nvidea Video gamma ramps at 1.24 ---> Moome HDMI-card in Projector, 0-255
Ouch.

Do that in madVR! Nvidia's stuff is terrible.
Old 21st January 2018, 05:57   #48540  |  Link
Dodgexander

Thanks guys, I was surprised how much I had to search to find this answer.

I am an old time MadVR user back when the HD4870 ATI card was good for scaling to 1080p. I take it AMD don't have any viable alternatives to Nvidia's 1050TI?

Anyone using PowerDVD17 and UHD Blu-Rays? I doubt it will work with a separate HDMI audio out so I resigned myself to getting an UHD Blu-Ray player for discs.
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling