Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 22nd April 2021, 21:32   #30581  |  Link
jdobbs

@RetsimLegin

Based on what I'm seeing in this post, it appears that NVENCC is finding some indication of an end-of-file before all the frames are processed. I'm at a loss as to why it is stopping (with no error) -- unless maybe there is an H264 end indicator in the stream.
Old 23rd April 2021, 08:33   #30582  |  Link
RetsimLegin

@jdobbs
Curious. To recap on how consistent this has been
First failure: a full BD layout (compiled using MultiAVCHD from MakeMKV files). The first title is a ~90 minute NTSC SD item. Failed on the first title ~75%.
(Note that the same project encoded throughout just fine using the much slower X264/5 encoder)
Second failure: single file import of the same ~90 minute title .mkv. ~75%
Third failure: single file import of a different title from the same series ~44 minutes ~79%
(various attempts at other settings like deinterlace as described earlier)
Fourth failure: single file import of a ~45 minute title from an entirely different disc set/series .mkv also NTSC SD ~79%
Fifth failure: same source as 4, this time extracted as a .mpg using an entirely different app. ~79%

If you think it may be informative, I could try (for example)
- remuxing (tsMuxeR or AVIDemux) any of the above before trying to encode
- yet another different title from yet another source
- something PAL format
or anything else you think may help narrow it down.
RetsimLegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 13:28   #30583  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetsimLegin View Post
@jdobbs
First failure: a full BD layout (compiled using MultiAVCHD from MakeMKV files). The first title is a ~90 minute NTSC SD item. Failed on the first title ~75%.
(Note that the same project encoded throughout just fine using the much slower X264/5 encoder)
Third failure: single file import of a different title from the same series ~44 minutes ~79%
Fourth failure: single file import of a ~45 minute title from an entirely different disc set/series .mkv also NTSC SD ~79%
Fifth failure: same source as 4, this time extracted as a .mpg using an entirely different app. ~79%

- something PAL format
All I can say for sure is that it appears to be something specific to your system, as others aren't experiencing it. But right now I have no idea what it is.
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:42   #30584  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
@jdobbs

- something PAL format
Could you monitor the free disk space of all of your disks (not just the one with working directory) during the encode? Also keep an eye on your GPU memory (via W10 Task manager).
cartman0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:40   #30585  |  Link
RetsimLegin

@cartman0208
Yes, probably. But it's perhaps worth repeating (as regards both of those factors)
I have tried a ~90 minute title and several ~45 minute titles, and the point at which each failed was not the same in data terms; it was similar in percentage complete terms i.e. the longer title encoded close to twice as much duration (and data) as the shorter one.
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:07   #30586  |  Link
RetsimLegin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
All I can say for sure is that it appears to be something specific to your system, as others aren't experiencing it. But right now I have no idea what it is.
I used tsMuXeR to remux one of the previous test files
a) leaving the frame rate at 29.97 as per source
b) changing the frame rate to 23.976 and remove pulldown (it is a film source).
Reverted the .ini file to remove the no frame check flag.

Outcome:
a) failed at the same place. I did look at the imports folder > {title} > BDMV > STREAM and the entire title was there at its oiriginal size and MPEG2 codec and played back OK in VLC.
b) re-encoded the file fully. But interestingly (?) it left the frame rate at 23.976 which (as far as I know?) isn't valid for SD content in H264 on BluRay.
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:09   #30587  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
@cartman0208
Yes, probably. But it's perhaps worth repeating (as regards both of those factors)
I have tried a ~90 minute title and several ~45 minute titles, and the point at which each failed was not the same in data terms; it was similar in percentage complete terms i.e. the longer title encoded close to twice as much duration (and data) as the shorter one.
If there are no findings, and Jdobbs has no objections:
You could try to replace the nvenc-files in the BD_Rebuilder\tools\nvenc folder with the most current ones from here
You should use the 32bit-version.
Meanwhile there's like 15 updates between the most current and the version used in BDRB.
I didn't read all the patchnotes, but maybe there's something in there that might help.
Make a backup of the old folder, of course.
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:18   #30588  |  Link
RetsimLegin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
Could you monitor the free disk space of all of your disks (not just the one with working directory) during the encode? Also keep an eye on your GPU memory (via W10 Task manager).
Disk space - >600gb free throughout.
GPU memory - hardly visible at the bottom of the graph.
However I did note that - with automatic quality settings, the Video encode and Video decode graphs hovered around 80% until it got to the point of failure (always exactly the same # of frames in the same title) when it briefly shot up to 100% before abruptly droping to zero as it terminated.
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:33   #30589  |  Link
RetsimLegin

Quote:
If there are no findings, and Jdobbs has no objections:
You could try to replace the nvenc-files in the BD_Rebuilder\tools\nvenc folder with the most current ones from here
You should use the 32bit-version.
Meanwhile there's like 15 updates between the most current and the version used in BDRB.
I didn't read all the patchnotes, but maybe there's something in there that might help.
Make a backup of the old folder, of course.
Thanks for this suggestion. Outcome:
1: It ran the GPU at a lower rate (~55%) than previously, but
2: As before, shot up to 100% at exactly the same frame number as before and then terminated.

(Arrgghh!)
Old 23rd April 2021, 19:14   #30590  |  Link
cartman0208

Quote:
Thanks for this suggestion. Outcome:
1: It ran the GPU at a lower rate (~55%) than previously, but
2: As before, shot up to 100% at exactly the same frame number as before and then terminated.

(Arrgghh!)
Hmm, ok ... if it is always the same frame ... then there might be something off with the source... I'm not that much into video encodeing but maybe there are tools to analyze that exact frame (maybe also the one before and after) and see if there is something suspicious

Also, if possible, you could try the encode with the same source on a different PC
Old 23rd April 2021, 22:13   #30591  |  Link
kpic

Sorry to resurrect a question from several pages ago but in that question I had asked about UHD as ISO (so no compress through BDRB) or putting the UHD title on BD-50 media & JDobbs responded;

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Yes. You can either set FORCE_NOENCODE=1 in the INI file, or create a custom output size and make it larger than the input. If there is no need to recompress, the BD-RB will keep it intact.

Just a warning, though. The maximum encode bitrate for a BD-66 or BD-100 is higher than a BD-50. I haven't personally had an issue with it... but it's possible there could be playback issues if the bitrate goes higher than acceptable for BD-50, assuming the source came from a BD-66 or BD-100.
So that second part had me wondering; The maximum encode bitrate for BD-50 is the BR spec of (I think 48 MBs all-in?) or at least I assume that is its limit or slightly higher so when I go to run my UHD title through BDRB for compressing is there a way to tell BDRB to specifically limit any peak bitrate to " this amount "?

I know it will happen somewhat just by compressing but for my test title going from the source 54gb to 43gb the peak bitrate might still be too high for BD-50 media.
kpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 02:42   #30592  |  Link
mikeonecl

[QUOTE=CraigWally;1941117]If you have quality on Highest change to High (Default) and then report back[/QUOTE

I tested on High Quality and NVENC the glitch disappear.

any reason to fail on highest quality?
mikeonecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 08:10   #30593  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

[QUOTE=mikeonecl;1941426]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigWally View Post
If you have quality on Highest change to High (Default) and then report back[/QUOTE

Are the glitches on the main movie or the extras? If on extras, is it 1080i/p?

//LD
Old 24th April 2021, 08:21   #30594  |  Link
RetsimLegin

Quote:
Hmm, ok ... if it is always the same frame ... then there might be something off with the source... I'm not that much into video encodeing but maybe there are tools to analyze that exact frame (maybe also the one before and after) and see if there is something suspicious

Also, if possible, you could try the encode with the same source on a different PC
Thanks for your further input.

I only the have one box with a suitable NVidia card. But using either the same box and the CPU (X)H264 encoder or a different box (no NVidia) and X264 - encodes fine (but slower).

I wouldn't know how to analyse the source beyond sticking it into an editor and looking at the frames - and there is nothing to see there.
Old 24th April 2021, 21:54   #30595  |  Link
mikeonecl

[QUOTE=LowDead;1941430]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeonecl View Post

Are the glitches on the main movie or the extras? If on extras, is it 1080i/p?

//LD
on main movie
mikeonecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 22:32   #30596  |  Link
CraigWally

[QUOTE=mikeonecl;1941426]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigWally View Post
If you have quality on Highest change to High (Default) and then report back[/QUOTE

I have no idea why, but that is what happens on all my encodes of BR using Nvenc (UHD is fine on Highest)
CraigWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2021, 14:26   #30597  |  Link
gamete

Someone help me with this problem?

Here my error

https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=30428
gamete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 05:31   #30598  |  Link
DoctorM

I've run into something odd (I don't have the log any more to post).
I was building a movie only disc of the Kino Lorber release of Bodies, Rest and Motion.
The playlist has three video files, the first is KL's splash screen (which has no audio) , the second is the movie and the third seems to be blank.

The final disc has the audio and subtitles about 11 seconds early, which is the duration of the KL splash screen.
It looks like TSMuxer is the problem (not something that can be fixed in BDRB). The 3 .M2TS files are merged into a single file, but no delay is added to make up for the first segment having no audio or subtitles.

I'm not sure there is a work around for this except a full disc rebuild. Any suggestions?
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 13:24   #30599  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I've run into something odd (I don't have the log any more to post).
I was building a movie only disc of the Kino Lorber release of Bodies, Rest and Motion.
The playlist has three video files, the first is KL's splash screen (which has no audio) , the second is the movie and the third seems to be blank.

The final disc has the audio and subtitles about 11 seconds early, which is the duration of the KL splash screen.
It looks like TSMuxer is the problem (not something that can be fixed in BDRB). The 3 .M2TS files are merged into a single file, but no delay is added to make up for the first segment having no audio or subtitles.

I'm not sure there is a work around for this except a full disc rebuild. Any suggestions?
BD-RB looks for and should adjust for delayed audio when it starts at a different time than the video. But... if the playlist has multiple parts and the first M2TS in the playlist has no audio, it would not find a delta (no audio=no delta). I'll have to look at a way of catching that scenario and put a delay in equal to the first (or more) item(s) in the playlist.

I got a similar report on another title recently.

Last edited by jdobbs; 2nd May 2021 at 15:54.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:34   #30600  |  Link
DoctorM

I tried using tsMuxerGUI directly and Eac3to to remux first and they both produce the same result. The only work around that occurs to me would be to remux the M2TS directly and recalculate the chapters from the playlist allowing for the splash screen... but at that point a menu/movie/blank extras would just be easier.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote