Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th July 2013, 15:34   #141  |  Link
Telion

No crashes here as yet. But there is a reported problem with >1 external subtitle tracks, guess it'll be fixed soon. Is this your case?
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 19:35   #142  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
If who interested - i make full integrate VSFilter/XySubFilter's subtitle selection mechanism into MPC-BE. Now you see and can select any subtitle stream from MPC-BE, embedded and external.
http://aleksoid.voserver.net/MPC-BE/...eMenu_Final.7z
Good:

MPC-BE prevents XySubFilter & ISR from running at the same time, which avoid performance issues and duplicates with both being active. MPC-BE ISR disables itself when XySubFilter is present, even if "Auto-Load Subtitles" is enabled. (MPC-HC doesn't do this for some reason, which can lead to issues)

MPC-BE "Sub" button on main window can be used to switch all available subtitle tracks with XySubFilter/xy-VSFilter during playback.

MPC-BE "Load Subtitle" can be used to load external subtitles with XySubFilter/xy-VSFilter during playback.

MPC-BE drag and drop can be used to load external subtitles with XySubFilter/xy-VSFilter during playback.

MPC-BE "Subtitles" context menu can be used to enable/disable subtitles with XySubFilter/xy-VSFilter during playback.

MPC-BE seems to prevent XySubFilter BETA from entering graph with EVR-CP and other renderers without a Subtitle Consumer.

Issue:

MPC-BE "Subtitle Database" download "replace currently loaded subtitles" does not load subtitles into XySubFilter/xy-VSFilter when active.

MPC-BE does not prevent XySubFilter from entering the graph with EVR-CP if another filter loads it into the graph by mistake. Not an issue with Beta, but at least until a Subtitle Consumer which is not a video renderer exists, you may want to block XySubFilter from loading with any video renderer without a known Subtitle Consumer. [Edit: We recommend that you wait until we can send you a test build for our next release]

Last edited by cyberbeing; 25th July 2013 at 04:29.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 22:52   #143  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
MPC-BE does not prevent XySubFilter from entering the graph with EVR-CP if another filter loads it into the graph by mistake. Not an issue with Beta, but at least until a Subtitle Consumer which is not a video renderer exists, you may want to block XySubFilter from loading with any video renderer without a known Subtitle Consumer. Our recommended future-proof way to do this is by exposing the dummy IXySubFilterGraphMutex interface, which will prevent XySubFilter from entering the graph when present.
I find this dummy IXySubFilterGraphMutex interface an unnecessarily complicated solution to the problem. Why not simply dynamically blocking XySubFilter (and the auto-load helper) instead? Much easier and no dummy interface needed.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 00:15   #144  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Good:
Issue:

MPC-BE "Subtitle Database" download "replace currently loaded subtitles" does not load subtitles into XySubFilter/xy-VSFilter when active.
I update build - now it's normal open and manipulate of multiple external subtitles.
http://aleksoid.voserver.net/MPC-BE/...enu_Final_2.7z

About "subtitle database" - i have tried many times to download subtitles, but my films there was nothing .

Can you upload a video that i can download subtitle. Then I can fix this issue.
Old 25th July 2013, 03:38   #145  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I find this dummy IXySubFilterGraphMutex interface an unnecessarily complicated solution to the problem. Why not simply dynamically blocking XySubFilter (and the auto-load helper) instead? Much easier and no dummy interface needed.
What auto-load helper? Until we actually release something, there is no new behavior or filter to dynamically block.

[Edit: I've just clarified with our dev, and you are correct, I misunderstood something. IXySubFilterGraphMutex was intended for use by directshow filter developers, not player developers. Sorry about the confusion Aleksoid1978, you shouldn't have any need for this in MPC-BE.]

But yes, the new auto-load helper test code you provided causes this bad behavior. I've been throwing ideas back and forth with our dev for the last few days in private, attempting to figure our a way to fix it without breaking something else even worse in the process. Now that I've seen MPC-BE behavior in this build, we need to be extra careful not to break its functionality. The hope is that media players won't need any workarounds whatsoever, but I have no way to guarantee that at this time. This is not a discussion for this thread, as there may be no problems at all once we release our next build.

Quote:
About "subtitle database" - i have tried many times to download subtitles, but my films there was nothing .

Can you upload a video that i can download subtitle. Then I can fix this issue.
Sure, I'll send you a sample.

And as implied above, specifics of loading behavior for the next release XySubFilter are still uncertain. It may be best to wait it out until we send you a test build which can be specifically designed around. We also will likely have bug-fixes for some of the other issues you've mentioned to us.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 25th July 2013 at 04:27.
Old 25th July 2013, 03:46   #146  |  Link
Telion

Quote:
I update build - now it's normal open and manipulate of multiple external subtitles.
In case of multiple external subtitles it now works with VSFilter but doesn't work with XySubFilter, the filter doesn't get loaded.
Old 25th July 2013, 03:53   #147  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
In case of multiple external subtitles it now works with VSFilter but doesn't work with XySubFilter, the filter doesn't get loaded.
Must work fine - it's use one interface.

Old 25th July 2013, 04:06   #148  |  Link
Telion

Aleksoid1978
The problem appears here with SRT subs and AVI/MKV without embedded subs. If MKV has embedded sub track, then it works.

cyberbeing
I noticed that double-clicking on XySubFilter tray icon doesn't bring up Properties, as it does with xy-VSFilter. Can you confirm this?
Old 25th July 2013, 04:19   #149  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Telion

All ok for me.

can you upload a avi/mkv + .srt files for test ??
Old 25th July 2013, 04:19   #150  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
cyberbeing
I noticed that double-clicking on XySubFilter tray icon doesn't bring up Properties, as it does with xy-VSFilter. Can you confirm this?
What OS are you running? This works fine for me with XySubFilter Beta on Win7 SP1 x64.

Can anyone else reproduce this problem with double-clicking the tray icon which Telion is reporting?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 25th July 2013 at 04:33.
Old 25th July 2013, 12:34   #151  |  Link
Telion

Aleksoid1978
cyberbeing

I discovered that both of my problems are due to just adding XySubFilter to External Filters in MPC-BE and not installing it into OS. I thought there should be no difference, am I wrong? Now I found out that registered XySubFilter can't be blocked through External Filters, and I must unregister it to switch back to VSFilter for comparison. Not very convenient, but I'm OK with this, thank you.
Old 25th July 2013, 13:33   #152  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

XySubFilter 3.1.0.546 uses version 1.0.6 of the subtitle interface which requires that the Subtitle Consumer (e.g. madVR) always auto-load XySubFilter into the graph for external subtitles. When XySubFilter is installed, it writes its GUID to HKCR\Autoload.SubtitleProvider , which the Subtitle Consumer uses to find and load XySubFilter into the graph. We are currently in the process of investigating alternative methods which can be used to load Subtitle Providers for external subtitles. So it's very possible a future build may function as you desire, depending on the solution we come up with.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 25th July 2013 at 13:37.
Old 26th July 2013, 00:32   #153  |  Link
Moragg

Quote:
Aleksoid1978
cyberbeing

I discovered that both of my problems are due to just adding XySubFilter to External Filters in MPC-BE and not installing it into OS. I thought there should be no difference, am I wrong? Now I found out that registered XySubFilter can't be blocked through External Filters, and I must unregister it to switch back to VSFilter for comparison. Not very convenient, but I'm OK with this, thank you.
My original installation of xysubfilter alongside xyvsfilter allowed me to block xysubfilter in external filters... though that was in MPC-HC.
Moragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 14:08   #154  |  Link
DarkSpace

I've got a request: Currently, when opening either XySubFilter's or xy-VSFilter's properties page during video playback by double-clicking on the tray icon, the window opens in the top left area of whatever monitor currently plays the video. Is it possible to have the window open on the primary monitor instead, like e.g. madVR's configuration window does, or, when tray icons are enabled, the LAV Filter properties pages do?
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 16:53   #155  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

So you want the properties page to be opened on the same monitor the tray icon is clicked from? The current behavior of opening within the video window was likely done internationally in the legacy VSFilter tray code, but we could probably change that. Create a new issue on our bug tracker if you want us to consider it.
Old 27th July 2013, 00:37   #156  |  Link
mindbomb

should we specify our monitor resolution anywhere in xy subfilter like with mpc hc's subtitle renderer?
I notice an area in renderer layout options where it appears you can enter a resolution, but I suspect it is for something else.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 04:36   #157  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
should we specify our monitor resolution anywhere in xy subfilter like with mpc hc's subtitle renderer?
____
No, you do not need to specify anything. Output resolution is dynamic, and always matches the resolution of video after resizing.

For example with Default behavior:

720x480 16:9 anamorphic DVD encode

Viewed at 100% 853x480 = 853x480 Subtitle Resolution
Viewed fullscreen at 1920x1080 = 1920x1080 Subtitle Resolution
Viewed at 50% 427x240 = 427x240 Subtitle Resolution
...and so on

Always rendering fonts at the resolution of the video after resizing along with automated scaling of effects, yields the highest quality.

____

The only resolution option which exists in XySubFilter, is the "Render to Original Video Size" option. This option enables VSFilter style rendering behavior, with rendering resolution always matching the original video, and subtitles blended prior to resizing:

720x480 16:9 anamorphic DVD encode

Viewed at 100% 853x480 = 720x480 Subtitle Resolution
Viewed fullscreen at 1920x1080 = 720x480 Subtitle Resolution
Viewed at 50% 427x240 = 720x480 Subtitle Resolution
...and so on

Normally you should not enable this, as it somewhat defeats the purpose of using XySubFilter. We've primarily left such an option in for users who are bothered by high resolution subtitles on low resolution video. Though you do still get higher quality color-corrected 4:4:4 RGB rendering with this option enabled, instead of the sub-sampled 4:2:0 YCbCr output common with VSFilter.
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
I notice an area in renderer layout options where it appears you can enter a resolution, but I suspect it is for something else.
Yes, that "Customize" setting is primarily for debugging scripts, and is not related to rendering resolution at all. So while it does exist, and has some alternative uses, that setting is not user friendly at all and as such not intended for end-users. Out of infinite possibilities, there is never more than a single layout resolution which ever correct here (the video resolution which a script was authored to), setting to anything else will break scripts. Our default behavior is VSFilter compatible, and assumes the resolution of the video being used with the script during playback, matches the resolution of the video used in script authoring.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 27th July 2013 at 09:02.
Old 27th July 2013, 04:41   #158  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Normally you should not enable this, as it defeats the purpose of using XySubFilter. We've left such an option in for users who are bothered by high resolution subtitles on low resolution video.
High resolution subs on low resolution video just looks wrong to me, so I enable it. Would it be worthwhile to have another option further to this where the resolution of the content must exceed a specified value for this to become active?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 10:22   #159  |  Link
Soukyuu

Quote:
Normally you should not enable this, as it somewhat defeats the purpose of using XySubFilter. We've primarily left such an option in for users who are bothered by high resolution subtitles on low resolution video.
I'm not sure that would be possible at all, but how about an option for unstyled (default position, not additional ASS tags) to be rendered at output resolution, while styled are rendered at video resolution? Watching DVD resolution video with typesetted signs at output resolution looks weird to me because the typesetting and signs don't blend, but dialogue is easier on the eyes when it's not blurry.
Soukyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 10:27   #160  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Another option would be to render at video resolution but to blur the subtitles appropriately. This would have the nice benefit that the subtitles would have a similar sharpness to the video, but zero *aliasing*.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote