Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > VP9 and AV1

Old 20th July 2018, 09:25   #761  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD-Linux View Post
Both have methods to improve quality, as well. EVE gives a large improvement over libvpx quality via a number of methods. rav1e is not nearly as far along, but does already have psy optimization, unlike libaom. You can try it out with the --tune psychovisual flag if you like.
Is rav1e forked from libaom, or was it written from nothing?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 14:35   #762  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

New upload:

AOM v1.0.0-181-g3bffe09a5

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 20:01   #763  |  Link
v0lt

Almost a month has passed since the freezing of the bitstream (2018-06-26). Official samples posted somewhere?
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 23:17   #764  |  Link
TD-Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Is rav1e forked from libaom, or was it written from nothing?
It's written from nothing, however it does link in some CDF tables and the transform SIMD code from libaom as we haven't written our own yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
Almost a month has passed since the freezing of the bitstream (2018-06-26). Official samples posted somewhere?
If you run "make testdata" in libaom you'll get a ton of test ivf files that are used to verify the decoder. They are as close to "official samples" as exist right now.

Last edited by TD-Linux; 20th July 2018 at 23:28.
TD-Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 23:47   #765  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Tommy Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 01:33   #766  |  Link
vidschlub

How long do people think till we start seeing files encoded with this on the web, even from the hardcore crazy people (anime)

I'm going to assume at least 12 months?
vidschlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 12:45   #767  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Well, the encoder has gotten 2-3 times faster in the last 4 months. It still needs to be at least 50-100 times faster to be anywhere near being usable as an encoder. Maybe they pick up the pace now that the bitstream is finalized, but i'd say it will probably take more than 12 months.
Old 23rd July 2018, 13:46   #768  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Carrot View Post
It still needs to be at least 50-100 times faster to be anywhere near being usable as an encoder.
You are an optimist. According to my calculations, the codec needs to be accelerated 1000 times.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 14:31   #769  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Lol, i try to be realist. AV1 is a much more complex codec than VP9 or h.265, so i can accept that it will be slower. 1 fps at 720p for the veryslow preset equivalent would be acceptable to me (assuming no serious quality degradation of course). Although you're right, that'd need probably more than 100x improvement.

Last edited by Tommy Carrot; 23rd July 2018 at 15:25.
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:07   #770  |  Link
excellentswordfight
Lost my old account :(

Quote:
Lol, i try to be realist. AV1 is a much more complex codec than VP9 or h.265, so i can accept that it will be slower. 1 fps at 720p for the veryslow preset equivalent would be acceptable to me (assuming no serious quality degradation of course). Although you're right, that'd need probably more than 100x improvement.
This got me curious, is that for private use? If so what is the use case for a encoder that slow? Cant be for storage space, even if bitrates were noticeably lower in 720p than x265, it would be so slow that it would take you an lifetime to fill an 3TB drive at that speed

Last edited by excellentswordfight; 23rd July 2018 at 19:59.
excellentswordfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:45   #771  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentswordfight View Post
This got me curious, is that for private use? If so what is the use case for a encoder that slow? Cant be for storage space, bitrates were AV1 would be noticeably better in 720p than x265 would be so low that it would take you an lifetime to fill an 3TB drive at that speed
Yes, for private use. To be honest i'm still using x264, because at the crf 18-22 range it's still performing very well, while being lightning fast compared to the newer codecs. Neither x265 nor VP9 are noticeably better (if at all) at that bitrate range. If AV1 can deliver similar quality at a significantly lower bitrate, i might switch to that, because i like to have the best possible quality at the lowest possible bitrate. X265 is simply not better enough to worth the hassle to switch to that (and VP9 is IMO worse than x264 at that bitrate range). I have more than enough storage space, but still, i dont want to have bloated videos if there are better alternatives, and i dont encode that much that i couldn't wait a couple of hours for an encode.

But more importantly, a usable encoder would mean youtube could finally improve the video quality, assuming of course that they dont use the improved efficiency to lower the video bitrates.
Old 24th July 2018, 01:53   #772  |  Link
user1085

Quote:
Yes, for private use. To be honest i'm still using x264, because at the crf 18-22 range it's still performing very well, while being lightning fast compared to the newer codecs. Neither x265 nor VP9 are noticeably better (if at all) at that bitrate range. If AV1 can deliver similar quality at a significantly lower bitrate, i might switch to that, because i like to have the best possible quality at the lowest possible bitrate. X265 is simply not better enough to worth the hassle to switch to that (and VP9 is IMO worse than x264 at that bitrate range). I have more than enough storage space, but still, i dont want to have bloated videos if there are better alternatives, and i dont encode that much that i couldn't wait a couple of hours for an encode.

But more importantly, a usable encoder would mean youtube could finally improve the video quality, assuming of course that they dont use the improved efficiency to lower the video bitrates.
If you have to encode 4K HDR10 content, then your only option is x265 right?
user1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 04:40   #773  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Nope, not by a long shot. There's lots of rather good commercial encoding solutions for 4K HDR10 encoding today.

See Beamr, Ittiam, Ateme, etc...
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 08:14   #774  |  Link
user1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Nope, not by a long shot. There's lots of rather good commercial encoding solutions for 4K HDR10 encoding today.

See Beamr, Ittiam, Ateme, etc...
I meant for my personal collection
user1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2018, 00:54   #775  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

In that case, yeah x265 is likely your best option. There's always the Intel / nVidia encoders, and whatever Adobe has in Adobe Media Encoder (Mainconcept maybe?)
Old 25th July 2018, 01:05   #776  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Holy crap guys, the latest Chrome Canary has a significantly improved AV1 decoder. You can play this http://video.1ko.ch/codec-comparison...18-06_550.webm 1080p test stream using very little CPU.
Old 25th July 2018, 03:05   #777  |  Link
hbbs

Quote:
Holy crap guys, the latest Chrome Canary has a significantly improved AV1 decoder. You can play this http://video.1ko.ch/codec-comparison...18-06_550.webm 1080p test stream using very little CPU.
It didn't work for me on today's canary anyway.

But this sample played on the latest mpv.

Do you have more samples?
hbbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2018, 03:52   #778  |  Link
hbbs

Firefox Nightly also is playing this demo above.

That's a lot of improvement from the time of that bitmovin demo.

On Firefox Nightly remember to toggle "media.av1.enabled" to true.
hbbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2018, 18:39   #779  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Yeah you need to enable AV1 decoding in the options.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AV1/comment...anary_can_now/
Old 26th July 2018, 08:17   #780  |  Link
excellentswordfight
Lost my old account :(

Quote:
Yeah you need to enable AV1 decoding in the options.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AV1/comment...anary_can_now/
Is it lag free for you? I'm getting quite a lot of dropped frames. 20% ish usage on all cores, i7-7500U.
excellentswordfight is offline   Reply With Quote