Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 9th February 2021, 12:13   #961  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

This happens mostly when the appended files has more tracks than the file it's being appended to. In that case the GUI cannot really find a good place where to place the superfluous tracks, and it ends up laying them out in way that the superfluous tracks would be appended to the last non-superfluous track of the appended file.

You'll have to deactivate those appended tracks for which there's no corresponding track in the file they're appended to.

Example: Let's assume your first file contains one video, one audio track, and that your second file (the one you're trying to append to) contains one video, one audio and one subtitle track. In such a setup the GUI will set up things this way by default:
  • the video track from file 2 will be appended to the video track from file 1
  • the audio track from file 2 will be appended to the audio track from file 1
  • the subtitle track from file 2 has no corresponding track in file 1, but it must be placed _somewhere_; in this case it'll likely be appended to the audio track from file 1, to which the audio track from file 2 is already appended

In that case you'd have to deactivate the subtile track from file 2.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 12:40   #962  |  Link
Nejiro

I apologize but it was my mistake, the two files did not have the same audio tracks, I fixed and now everything is fine.
Thank you
Nejiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 04:39   #963  |  Link
odino

Hi Moritz,
I have a question on stretching chapters. I have subtitles and chapters from an old mkv file @ 23.976 and the new on is 24fps. I can stretch the subs to perfectly match by stretching it by 0.999 but if I do the same for the chapters they all end up as 0s. I had first extracted it as XML and added it via "Chapter file". Additionally: is there any reason one cannot delay the chapters directly from the properties tab rather than extracting it, re-adding it and then adding a delay in the Chapters section?

It would also be helpful if you could give some examples of the stretching in the wiki you wrote about avoiding to stretch audio? E.g. 23.976fps->24fps, 25fps -> 23.975 and so on. https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolni...k-audio-tracks
I tried to look everywhere for help on this but didn't find any examples.

Lastly, your contact page is still linking to the old forum post: https://mkvtoolnix.download/community.html

Thank you.

Last edited by odino; 12th February 2021 at 04:47.
odino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 14:35   #964  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvmerge treats chapters completely differently than regular tracks. This means that all calculating operations on chapters are pretty hacky and not tested well.

Use the chapter editor, open the chapters, right-click on the top-most item, select "Additional modifications" from the popup menu, enable "Multiply start and end timestamps…". Calculate 23.976/24 and enter the result in the dialog.

I'm not keen on giving a lot of examples. It's better to understand what you're doing/what you're calculating, 'cause then you don't have to look for the exact example matching your current use case, but you can calculate it yourself. If your original video track plays at x FPS, and your new one at y FPS, then the factor to use is always x/y. If you're going from 23.976 FPS to 24 FPS you play _more_ frames per second meaning same number of frames will result in a _shorter_ video meaning the resulting factor for adjusting other tracks to the new rate must be < 1. That's your check to see if you swapped the two values.

I'll fix the link. Thanks.

Old 12th February 2021, 14:38   #965  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Addendum: which MKVToolNix version are you trying the chapter sync with? 'cause there was a pretty important fix in v53 for --chapter-sync.

I also just tried the following:

mkvmerge -o out.mkv --chapter-sync 0,0.999 in.mkv

with v53 and the resulting chapter timestamps in out.mkv are just; they're exactly the original timestamps * 0.999.

Last edited by Mosu; 12th February 2021 at 14:49.
Old 14th February 2021, 03:48   #966  |  Link
Perenista

PnS Rotate Y- flips horizontally

I noticed a video I have here needs me to apply this MPC-HC feature, which also doesn't seem to work with madVR, only Enhanced Video Renderer. Alt + num 6 will do the trick.

I was wondering if it's possible to apply this without reencode, and using MKVToolnix. The file is a Matroska.

Or perhaps a lossless change as suggested here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ut-re-encoding

However this one only applies to MP4.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 17:11   #967  |  Link
Barabba

Hi, I?ve some mp4 produced by an Hikvision DVR that I want to join.. they are without timestamps, as the the recorder don't care do well pack the mp4 before close it, so it's up to the software solve this problem. Avidemux doesn't accept these files, so I try to join to mkv but the result isn't so good, half of the video is "masked/corrupted" and it appears only when people are passing by it. I attach 2 files here, maybe they can be helpful to solve the problem, if possibile.Thanks
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WIw...ew?usp=sharing

PS: if you may suggest me a way to correct the problem, maybe a command line with ffmpeg, I'll be glad to try. Thank you!
PS2: I've the latest version 53

EDIT: I can solve the error in files using this command: ffmpeg -err_detect ignore_err -i 1.mp4 -c copy output.mp4
I suppose you use ffmpeg too to manage and merge mp4 files, may you please introduce che chance to apply a ffmpeg command to any input file boefore processing? It would be great to have a batch/gui interface to do that.. thanks

Last edited by Barabba; 17th February 2021 at 18:06.
Barabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 10:47   #968  |  Link
stax76

I think there is a Unicode issue:

Code:
mkvextract .\unicode-🙂.mkv tracks 1:.\unicode-🙂.aac
Error: Unknown mode '.\unicode-🙂.aac'.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 21:27   #969  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
I think there is a Unicode issue:
Thanks, that should be fixed now.

Old 20th February 2021, 20:57   #970  |  Link
stax76

Thanks!
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 20:23   #971  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v54.0.0 released

Heya,

again I'm releasing a bit early, not even four weeks after the previous one. This release, however, does pack quite a bit more of a punch than the previous ones, both in terms of enhancements and bug fixes. On top of that one of the libraries used (libEBML) has just been released fixing several heap overflow bugs, and I didn't want to wait too long to get those fixes into a new MKVToolNix release.

There have been several changes concerning package maintainers. Please refer to the NEWS below for details.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 54.0.0 "F Maj Pixie" 2021-02-26
New features and enhancements
  • mkvmerge: added support for using ISO 639-3 language codes in IETF BF47 language tags. Part of the implementation of #3007.
  • mkvmerge: AC-3 parser: added support for byte-swapped AC-3 data. Implements #3022.
  • mkvmerge: Matroska reader: for audio tracks that have the bit depth track header set mkvmerge will now keep that header even for codecs that don't require it for decoding. Implements #3009.
  • mkvmerge: MPEG transport stream reader, PCM audio tracks: mkvmerge will now re-order the channels for 5.1, 7.0 and 7.1 channel tracks from the Blu-ray layout to the WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE layout expected in Matroska. Patch by Tom Yan. Implements #2988.
  • mkvmerge, mkvinfo, mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix GUI: added support for the following new track header elements: "hearing impaired" flag, "visual impaired" flag, "text descriptions" flag, "original" flag, "commentary" flag. Implements #3011.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: added support for using ISO 639-3 language codes in IETF BF47 language tags. As there are several thousand of them, they're deactivated by default and must be activated in the preferences ("GUI" → "Often used selections" → "Languages"). Part of the implementation of #3007.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when adding Blu-rays the user can select multiple playlists to add simultaneously in the "select playlist to add" dialog. Implements #2961.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the file name extensions "eb3" and "ec3" were added for Dolby Digital Plus & "mpl" for Dolby TrueHD in the file dialogs. Part of the implementation of #3027.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when adding multiple files the dialog asking the user what to do with them has gained a new checkbox. If enabled, all files containing at least one video track will always be placed in newly created multiplex setting. Implements #2966.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: added a menu entry in the "Multiplexer" for adding all files that are currently in the clipboard. Implements #3006.

Bug fixes
  • all: Windows: fixed compatibility with gettext 0.21 and newer on mingw.
  • all: Windows: fixed several of the programs having problems with certain Unicode characters (primarily emojis) in file names (e.g. mkvextract wrongfully complaining about an "invalid mode" or the GUI not being able to find parts of Blu-ray file structures).
  • mkvextract: AAC: fixed wrong channel mask field in the ADTS headers for 7.1 channel layouts. Fix by Tom Yan. Fixes #2636.
  • mkvextract: h.265/HEVC extraction: if the first frame starts with the parameter sets (SPS, PPS & VPS), the ones from CodecPrivate aren't written and the ones from the first frame are kept. Fixes #3031.
  • mkvmerge: fixed the calculation of chapter timestamps read from NTSC DVDs. Fix by Tom Yan.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: IETF BCP 47 language widget: the language combo box will now always contain the language code the user enters in the free-form field, even if it isn't in the list of often-used languages the user configured in the preferences.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when browsing for the destination file name the default directory is now chosen according to the preferences regarding how the destination file name should be formed. For example, if the policy is set to "fixed output directory" then that output directory will be the one initially set when the directory selection dialog is opened. Fixes #3021.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: fixed the removal of appended source files if the "delete source files" end-of-job action is enabled. Fixes #3029.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor: when importing chapters from DVDs the IETF BCP 47 language elements will be set, too, not just the legacy language elements.

Build system changes
  • libEBML v1.4.2 and libMatroska v1.6.3 are now required. The optional, bundled copies of both libraries have been updated to those versions. This bump in requirements fixes several heap overflow bugs in libEBML.
  • MKVToolNix is now using the C++17 library feature "file system library" instead of Boost's "file system" and "system" libraries. For the GNU Compiler Collection (gcc) libstdc++ this means v8 or newer is required; for clang's libc++ it means v7 or newer. For macOS this means that provided disk image will only run on 10.15 "Catalina" or newer.

Have fun

Old 26th February 2021, 21:36   #972  |  Link
manolito

Thanks for the new version...

I found one small issue (using the 32-bit portable version under Win7-64):
After overinstalling over the previous version keeping the old INI file the program always hangs when trying to open a file via right-click in the source window. Drag and Drop with Explorer works.

What fixed it was deleting the old INI file and reentering my settings. Must be some inconsistency with the INI entries between the old and the new version. No big deal...
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 21:40   #973  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Too bad you removed the file. I would surely have liked to take a look at the issue, but without… Well.

Old 26th February 2021, 22:24   #974  |  Link
manolito

Just repeated the installation on another ThinkPad with almost identical setup. No problems with this one, and I believe it has something to do with the font size setting.

The laptop which had no issues uses a font size of 100%. The other one which had the issues has a higher resolution screen and uses a font size of 125% (my eyes getting a little old). And this bigger font size made the difference.

//EDIT//
Oh damn, I mixed it all up...
The laptop which had the issue also uses a display setting of 100%. What I did to improve readability was to reduce the screen resolution from the native 1600x900 to a smaller resolution of 1360x768. This usually does not cause problems, but the Qt library might behave differently.

//EDIT2//
If you still want to look at my previous INI file, I do have Rollback RX installed so I can easily retrieve the old INI file and upload it. Let me know...

Last edited by manolito; 26th February 2021 at 22:43.
Old 26th February 2021, 23:04   #975  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Yeah, I don't support such low resolutions. The GUI has certain minimum required sizes that depend on the active language (as labels, combo box contents etc. have different lengths in different languages). There will be weird interactions if the automatically stored/remembered frame positions & sizes don't fit into the screen anymore and similar things. Nothing I want to spend time on.

Old 28th February 2021, 01:37   #976  |  Link
manolito

Still a little bit weird...

The laptop which has no problems has a screen resolution of 1280x800. The other one which showed the problem has a resolution of 1360x768. This is in the same ballpark for me, and both resolutions are certainly HD resolutions.

So I don't really understand why one of these screen resolutions works and the other does not...
Well, at least it does work after deleting the INI file, so no real problem...

Last edited by manolito; 28th February 2021 at 01:41.
Old 28th February 2021, 06:37   #977  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Still a little bit weird...
Attempt recovery of the ini imo.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 17:24   #978  |  Link
DavidRyan

Hi - Thanks for the continued development of this very useful tool.

Wanted to add that I have the same issue as reported above with v54.0. I usually open sources via the 'Add source files' button but doing that in this version results in the application hanging and having to be killed. Folders/sources don't appear, it just hangs. This is on a laptop with a 1920*1080 display with text/apps display set to 125% if that matters, saw it mentioned above.

I can still use mkvtoolnix by dragging and dropping sources. And I guess a clean install may resolve the issue if that worked for others. But before I do that if you want me to send in the configuration settings file let me know.
DavidRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 02:46   #979  |  Link
kuchikirukia

I used to be able to cut off audio/sub tracks that ran longer than the video with the split function. This no longer works.

>have 22:09 video
>audio and sub tracks are 23:40 because they have an ending I cut from the video
>set to split after 22:09
>Doesn't split.
kuchikirukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:31   #980  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRyan View Post
Wanted to add that I have the same issue as reported above with v54.0. I usually open sources via the 'Add source files' button but doing that in this version results in the application hanging and having to be killed.
Can you please do two things:
  1. Upload your settings file to my file server. Include your user name in the file name (or create a directory with your name) so I can associate it with you.
  2. Get the latest continuous build and give that one a try. I've fixed several issues over the last couple of days that may very well be the cause of what you observed. Try this without deleting the settings file first.

Thanks.

Tags
matroska