Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th December 2021, 19:35   #62441  |  Link
ryrynz

I think he should address the forum at this point. Given how development has been in the past and how it's continuing at this point (actively) and the time that's progressed without any real communication I feel its bordering on disrespectful.

Last edited by ryrynz; 6th December 2021 at 19:38.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2021, 21:34   #62442  |  Link
mclingo

i'm going to post the question on the tone mapping column to see what happens, he can only ignore it I guess.
Old 6th December 2021, 22:20   #62443  |  Link
VBB

I don't think madshi will ever come back to doom. These days, he replies only in the Envy thread over at AVS. I hope he'll prove me wrong

Last edited by VBB; 6th December 2021 at 22:22.
VBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2021, 23:08   #62444  |  Link
biship

He only shows up in the projector thread when he needs us to test software changes that he is putting into his hardware product.
Old 7th December 2021, 00:36   #62445  |  Link
mclingo

its not quite as one sided as that implies, everyone gets the benefit of the better tone mapping, it works well for all low brightness or non HDR TVs, displays and projectors, MADVR + a software player is still the best tone map to SDR option even if the others are catching up now.
Old 7th December 2021, 01:49   #62446  |  Link
SamuriHL

Others will indeed eventually catch up. I've already switched my usage to another product at this point. Yes, madvr is still the king of quality. However, on an OLED the quality I get with a different solution is damn good and improving daily. You are correct that the madvr HDR tone mapping updates are NOT one-sided. It was the bargain madshi struck with the community but he made it very clear that it was going to be strictly HDR tone mapping focused until that feature is "done". Several years later and it's still nowhere near complete. What I mean is there are many things that can and eventually will be improved. Just realize that the reason behind it is to improve the Envy to make it more competitive. As long as you accept that and the time limited betas and spending quite a bit of time configuring each one as things change, you can keep an updated madvr HTPC going. How long this bargain lasts is anyone's guess. I have no more desire to chase down that last few percentage of image quality these days. I'm quite satisfied with a solution that simply works without fussing with it.
Old 7th December 2021, 05:15   #62447  |  Link
VBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I have no more desire to chase down that last few percentage of image quality these days. I'm quite satisfied with a solution that simply works without fussing with it.
Couldn't agree more. What's the other product, if you don't mind me asking? I know you've been using your laptop and the SHIELD since your PC died
Old 7th December 2021, 05:18   #62448  |  Link
SamuriHL

Still am. On the laptop I'm using jrvr. It's been making some really nice strides the last few weeks. But I don't want to derail this thread which is why I didn't originally specify.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Old 7th December 2021, 05:33   #62449  |  Link
VBB

Gotcha!
Old 7th December 2021, 18:52   #62450  |  Link
Aceman21

What does the dynamic target nits do and what’s the difference between all the contrast recovery’s ?
Aceman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2021, 17:54   #62451  |  Link
lazostat

I have a question about Madvr. I have seen some guides that are many pages and i need many hours to read them and make the settings. But i don't know if it's worth the time.

I see movies on my 1080p TV (46") connected to PC, also i have a 2k pc monitor (27") but it's not as good and i rarely watch movies on this.

Can Madvr improve Pc monitor image quality? Also if i watch the same source as my TV, or Pc monitor, and i have a very good mkv quality, will i see any difference?

I have read that Madvr is good for projectors or very large TVs or for scaling methods. So, should i bother with all those advanced guides or just stick to the basics?

Last edited by lazostat; 8th December 2021 at 17:58.
lazostat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2021, 18:33   #62452  |  Link
SamuriHL

It's not a question anyone can answer for you. There's WAY too many variables. It's not just your equipment that influences the answer, it's the quality of the content, your viewing area, if your equipment is calibrated, etc, etc. The likelihood is that madvr will improve image quality in most cases. How much and whether it's noticeable by you is not something that can be answered.
Old 8th December 2021, 18:54   #62453  |  Link
.m4jX

You don't have to spend much time if you don't want to have the best quality for various scenarios. Setting a couple of things will already get you to a better place than most regular players.
e.g. "chroma upscaling" -> "NGU" "Anti-Alias, medium"
image upscaling" -> "doubling" to "NGU Standard" or "NGU Sharp", "luma doubling" to "medium", "luma quadrupling" to "medium", "chroma" to "normal"

Play a SD file, a 720p file and a 1080p file in fullscreen, hit Ctrl+J and see if "rendering" stays below 40ms. If it does, you're done. If not, set something to "low" instead of "medium". If you have a good GPU and are far below 40ms you can try "high" instead of medium, if you don't mind using more power. Can be done in a few minutes. Even just setting everything to "NGU" and the rest to "let madVR decide" will get you good results.
.m4jX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2021, 02:53   #62454  |  Link
flossy_cake

Regarding the upscaling refinement setting, can anyone advise what exactly the condition MadVR is testing for when it decides whether to enable its upscaling refinement settings?

I've made the following observations :

Code:
Video source res	| Fullscreen display res	| Is MadVR upscaling?	| Did MadVR activate upscaling refinement?
720x480			| 1366x768			| yes			| definitely yes
1280x720		| 1366x768			| yes			| seemingly not
1280x720		| 1920x1080			| yes			| seemingly not
I say "seemingly not" because I don't know if it's active but being suppressed by that pre/post resize behaviour mentioned on the previous page.

I'm guessing there is some threshold like eg. video must be upscaled in both horizontal and vertical by a certain percentage before it qualifies for upscaling refinement -- is this correct?

I need to know because otherwise I could end up with some videos being sharpened when I don't want them to. If that is the case then I need to use tags like [profile=x] to control it all manually instead of trusting MadVR to detect them as I'd like.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 9th December 2021 at 07:20.
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2021, 00:09   #62455  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazostat View Post
I have read that Madvr is good for projectors or very large TVs or for scaling methods. So, should i bother with all those advanced guides or just stick to the basics?
Get a colorimeter to create a proper ICC profile with it. Then you can generate 3D LUTs with DisplayCal for madVR. I think most will agree that after having done this once, nobody wants back to hand-tunes catastrophes.

It can even create a 3D LUT for HDR -> SDR conversion which I find to look even better than madVR's internal BT.2390 conversion. It really looks phenomenal.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2021, 00:41   #62456  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
It can even create a 3D LUT for HDR -> SDR conversion which I find to look even better than madVR's internal BT.2390 conversion. It really looks phenomenal.
How can it be done?
Siso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2021, 10:26   #62457  |  Link
huhn

displaycal can create these 3DLUT they are static tonemapping LUTs so don't except anything like dynamic tone mapping from them.

you take bt 2020 PQ are source apply a tone curve of smpte 2084 to it and use the trade of setting and type in the true peak nits just like in madVR. define a target either measured or something like DCI P3 D65 bt709
after that you can load it in madVR under HDR.

Last edited by huhn; 10th December 2021 at 13:38. Reason: fixed a number
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2021, 11:19   #62458  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
displaycal can create these 3DLUT they are static tonemapping LUTs so don't except anything like dynamic tone mapping from them.

you take bt 2020 PQ are source apply a tone curve of smpte 2086 to it and use the trade of setting and type in the true peak nits just like in madVR. define a target either measured or something like DCI P3 D65 bt709
after that you can load it in madVr under HDR.
Can I create one from my sdr 3dlut settings? Or I have to run the whole calibration again?
Siso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2021, 13:37   #62459  |  Link
huhn

yes you could do that.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2021, 14:10   #62460  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
I find the result very sane, madVR's internal BT.2390 conversion looks overexposed to me. Less than mpv's, but still (though I haven't tried any of the test builds after the last stable madVR release).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling