Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 8th October 2014, 03:17   #21521  |  Link
gonca

I don't know if this is relevant but I just dragged an AVC m2ts into GraphStudio and it tells me that the video decoder is Microsoft DTV-DVD
Attached Images

gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 03:22   #21522  |  Link
MajorEvent
Passed Newbie Inquisition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
could one of you out-of-sync guys look at your registry see what value you have set for these keys:

Hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\directshow\preferrred\{31435641-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71}
hkey_local_machine\software\wow6432node\microsoft\directshow\preferred\{31435641-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71}

this is the avc preferred codec.
{212690fb-83e5-4526-8fd7-74478b7939cd}
{212690fb-83e5-4526-8fd7-74478b7939cd}

which refers to the Microsoft DTV-DVD codec.

Quote:
Can you check and make sure AVC decoding is checked under formats in the video configuration?
it is selected (h264).

Last edited by MajorEvent; 8th October 2014 at 03:32.
MajorEvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 03:35   #21523  |  Link
MajorEvent

LAVFilters Seance

I think I hear the gears turning inside jdobbs head...I can somehow feel a fix in the works and LAVFilters making a comeback to BD-Rebuilder. ;D
Old 8th October 2014, 03:39   #21524  |  Link
gonca

I just took ownership of the audio and video decoder dlls so I could rename them, and now GraphStudio shows LAV for both audio and video. I'll run a quick test
Old 8th October 2014, 04:11   #21525  |  Link
gonca

Houston, we have sync!!!
The issue is now corrected on my system.
Old 8th October 2014, 04:15   #21526  |  Link
MajorEvent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Houston, we have sync!!!
The issue is now corrected on my system.
Excellent. With that confirmation, jdobbs knows he's on the right track now and I'm sure he'll be able to implement a fix soon and bring back LAVFilters. I bet he hates having to re-edit the first page so soon again
Old 8th October 2014, 04:20   #21527  |  Link
gonca

MajorEvent
Just rename the audio and video decoders as stated here http://www.makeyoutubevideo.com/disa...eodecoder.html and re install LAV. Check with GraphStudio
Old 8th October 2014, 04:28   #21528  |  Link
MajorEvent

Quote:
MajorEvent
Just rename the audio and video decoders as stated here http://www.makeyoutubevideo.com/disa...eodecoder.html and re install LAV. Check with GraphStudio
Thanks for the link. That's really good of you. I grabbed a copy of graphstudio that I'll install later. I don't have any real pending re-encodes right now so for the moment I'll wait for a BD-Rebuilder update (I swear I can hear the gears turning in jdobbs head...I think he's working on it right now. )
Old 8th October 2014, 07:39   #21529  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I don't know if this is relevant but I just dragged an AVC m2ts into GraphStudio and it tells me that the video decoder is Microsoft DTV-DVD
I don't have the out-of-sync problem, but still:
Using Graphstudionext on an .m2ts source:
32-bit: connects to LAV video {EE30215D-164F-4A92-A4EB-9D4C13390F9F} and LAV audio
64-bit: connects to DTV-DVD {212690FB-83E5-4526-8FD7-74478B7939CD} and LAV audio

@jdobbs:
The registry values for the preferred codecs
{96B9D0ED-8D13-4171-A983-B84D88D627BE}
{04FE9017-F873-410E-871E-AB91661A4EF7}

My OS is Windows 7/64bit

Last edited by Sharc; 8th October 2014 at 08:33.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 09:21   #21530  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

There are also tools to override the preferred filter without entirely breaking it by disabling it on a file level, ie this: http://www.codecguide.com/windows7_p...er_tweaker.htm

I've pondered before if I should make the LAV installer set its decoders as the preferred decoders, however it may break stuff in some applications, which is why I didn't do that (ie. TV playback in WMC usually breaks), and most competent players have their own functions to prefer filters over the Microsoft ones.
Old 8th October 2014, 09:52   #21531  |  Link
Sharc

Thanks for chiming in!
Yes, the filter tweak works. I feel we are getting close to the solution now.
And thanks for LAV
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 13:25   #21532  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
There are also tools to override the preferred filter without entirely breaking it by disabling it on a file level, ie this: http://www.codecguide.com/windows7_p...er_tweaker.htm

I've pondered before if I should make the LAV installer set its decoders as the preferred decoders, however it may break stuff in some applications, which is why I didn't do that (ie. TV playback in WMC usually breaks), and most competent players have their own functions to prefer filters over the Microsoft ones.
When BD-RB sets the registry entries (the first time it runs) for FFDSHOW -- it does exactly the same thing as that tool. But currently it doesn't do it for LAVFilters, mainly because it wasn't necessary on my system.

I'm guessing that may be the key. I'll see if I can create a new installer for LAVFilters that sets the values -- and see if it works to fix the issue on MajorEvent's system (since he hasn't modified it yet).

Last edited by jdobbs; 8th October 2014 at 13:30.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 14:41   #21533  |  Link
MajorEvent

Quote:
and see if it works to fix the issue on MajorEvent's system (since he hasn't modified it yet).
Yep, my systems still pristinely messed up so I'm happy to test any changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
32-bit: connects to LAV video {EE30215D-164F-4A92-A4EB-9D4C13390F9F} and LAV audio
64-bit: connects to DTV-DVD {212690FB-83E5-4526-8FD7-74478B7939CD} and LAV audio...,My OS is Windows 7/64bit
I'm rocking Windows 7 x64 Pro SP1. Seeing your result I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is limited to 64 bit systems or even Windows 7 x64. Was there anyone with Windows 8 or 8.1 x64 (or Windows 10 x64 TP ) who had the problem?

@nevcairiel: Thank you for checking in on our problem. I had a feeling you would and you should know it's appreciated.
Old 8th October 2014, 15:21   #21534  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post

Can you create a special installer that sets the preferred settings (at least for AVC, VC-1 and MPEG-2)? I tried modifying the .iss file to force the change, but it didn't work. I don't think I'm familiar enough with Inno installer to do it correctly. I put the entries in "[Registry]" section and even used the "Permissions" parameter -- but it didn't change the values.

If not I can modify BD-RB to manually change the preferred settings at startup (like I do for FFDSHOW) -- but that way is kind of a cludge since I have to ask the user to run BD-RB as Administrator the first time it is run.

[Edit] Never mind. I got the customized installer working...

Last edited by jdobbs; 8th October 2014 at 22:48.
Old 8th October 2014, 15:57   #21535  |  Link
omegaman7

Sounds like you got this figured out. So you won't need anything else at the time being
Old 8th October 2014, 16:01   #21536  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Quote:
Nothing has changed in that area -- except a newer version of X264. Are you sure the quality setting is the same on both runs? I corrected some code that decided what setting to use when "Automatic" was chosen. The older version would have been more likely to use a faster/lower quality setting in that case -- when it really didn't apply to ALTERNATE encodes (based upon target BD size). It also makes a huge difference if your computer is being used for other tasks at the time of the encode -- as "IDLE" is the default priority for encodes and other processes would likely have a higher priority.
I always change to Normal priority, and usually just walk away from the PC as BD Rebuilder runs, so other than background windows tasks, BD Rebuilder is the only thing running.

Two ini file changes I just noticed.. ENCODE_QUALITY=2 (when it was running slow) vs ENCODE_QUALITY=0 (when it was fast). And ONEPASS_ENCODING=0 (when it was slow) vs ONEPASS_ENCODING=2 (when fast).

Based on a thread discussing on ENCODE_QUALITY=X, I'm thinking that is the difference. Its possible I missed settings -> Encoder -> Auto Quality, and maybe the default HQ was selected instead? (I'm guessing because when I look at the ini with AUTO Quality, the value is 0, when HQ is selected, the value is 2, and 2 is supposed to be slower).
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 17:00   #21537  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
I always change to Normal priority, and usually just walk away from the PC as BD Rebuilder runs, so other than background windows tasks, BD Rebuilder is the only thing running.

Two ini file changes I just noticed.. ENCODE_QUALITY=2 (when it was running slow) vs ENCODE_QUALITY=0 (when it was fast). And ONEPASS_ENCODING=0 (when it was slow) vs ONEPASS_ENCODING=2 (when fast).

Based on a thread discussing on ENCODE_QUALITY=X, I'm thinking that is the difference. Its possible I missed settings -> Encoder -> Auto Quality, and maybe the default HQ was selected instead? (I'm guessing because when I look at the ini with AUTO Quality, the value is 0, when HQ is selected, the value is 2, and 2 is supposed to be slower).
The way it works now is:

1. If you have selected a specific quality setting -- it is used.
2, If you have selected "Automatic" then "High Quality (Default)" is used

That's because automatic quality only applies to encodes that have a target selected (BD-5, BD-9, BD-25, BD-50, or custom).

A setting of "2" translates as "High Quality (Default)" and would definitely be slower than "0" which is "Good (Very Fast)" -- but it would also usually result in a smaller file (while maintaining the same quality) in CRF mode.

As for ONPASS_ENCODING -- it doesn't apply to ALTERNATE encodes but it would make a huge difference on a standard movie-only backup.

BTW, if you aren't doing something else on the computer, IDLE and NORMAL priority would likely result in the same time. Priority only matters when processes are competing for resources.

Last edited by jdobbs; 8th October 2014 at 17:15.
Old 8th October 2014, 18:39   #21538  |  Link
Glarioo

Quote:
Just as a clarifier... what kind of video card do each of you have? Is hardware acceleration shown as "enabled" in the LAV video configuration dialog?
Hardware acceleration = none.
Using an old ATI Radeon HD5670 videocard.
AVC decoding is selected (h264).
Windows 7 x64 Pro SP1 is installed.

Last edited by Glarioo; 8th October 2014 at 18:54.
Glarioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 18:50   #21539  |  Link
Glarioo

It seems there's a solution coming for LAV out of sync.

Run "Hachi" last night and it was perfectly in sync using LAV filters (0.62.0).
Source Video: MPEG-2, 1920x1080. Audio: DTS-HD High-Res audio.
Output: MKV Container, 1920x1080, 640Kbs DD5.1.

Last edited by Glarioo; 8th October 2014 at 19:03.
Glarioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 22:46   #21540  |  Link
jdobbs

@MajorEvent

Please download and install LAVFilters using this customized installer that sets the preferred entry in the registry, and let me know if it solves the out-of-sync issue. I'd appreciate it if you can let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Last edited by jdobbs; 8th October 2014 at 22:49.