Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 31st March 2015, 19:54   #2041  |  Link
Gravitator

This plugin supports playback of non-standard B16 frames?
Gravitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 20:04   #2042  |  Link
stax76

@x265_Project

Which font size is the x265 GUI using? It looks like 7 which is kind of challenging for old man like me.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 20:26   #2043  |  Link
x265_Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
This plugin supports playback of non-standard B16 frames?
I don't know... you would have to try it. We test UHDcode against a wide range of spec-compliant HEVC bitstreams, but as far as I know, it is also designed to decode any bitstream regardless of whether it fits a legal profile (we don't ask questions, we just decode). Of course, our main objective is to make sure that any possible legal bitstream can be decoded quickly and accurately. We look forward to your feedback.
Old 31st March 2015, 20:27   #2044  |  Link
x265_Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
@x265_Project

Which font size is the x265 GUI using? It looks like 7 which is kind of challenging for old man like me.
I don't know. As you know, it's challenging to squeeze all the advanced options in a single UI. Expect ongoing improvement in this area.
Old 31st March 2015, 22:24   #2045  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Will this project still exist the day after tomorrow?

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 23:32   #2046  |  Link
x265_Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Will this project still exist the day after tomorrow?
Now why do you have to go and say a thing like that? You of all people.

Of course it will. The x265 HEVC Upgrade is a straightforward product that enables and delivers of two of our core technologies; x265 and UHDcode.
Old 1st April 2015, 00:57   #2047  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by x265_Project View Post
I don't know. As you know, it's challenging to squeeze all the advanced options in a single UI. Expect ongoing improvement in this area.
I know but for me it's different since my GUI is built from code (no form designer) resulting in not more then one option per "line" in most cases.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 07:27   #2048  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Just funny to see projects announced around the 1st of April. But okay, it appears to be more credible than systemd forking the Linux kernel (resistance is futile)...

New German Gleitz board
Old 1st April 2015, 09:38   #2049  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Building x265 with GCC now supports STATIC_LINK_CRT to include minimal Windows GUI API support, as yet linked from the basic MSVCRT.DLL; would you rate this option useful / important / irrelevant? This DLL will probably be present in quite any Windows version, I believe; linking it statically may not be as important as when someone would compile using MS Visual Studio, but rather add redundant code to the distributed binaries, I guess?

New German Gleitz board
Old 1st April 2015, 09:49   #2050  |  Link
uneedme

Quote:
Just funny to see projects announced around the 1st of April. But okay, it appears to be more credible than systemd forking the Linux kernel (resistance is futile)...
not april fool?

truly?
uneedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 10:12   #2051  |  Link
grumpy

$29.95, Does that make it more plausible or less plausible? What is this about? I don't get it.

Last edited by grumpy; 1st April 2015 at 10:15.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 10:29   #2052  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I did not yet try this software, instead I (personally) will try to rely on freeware in the future too; but for these users who prefer it simple and specific, it is a limited time offer to "purchase" it with a 100% discount, you will only have to register to obtain a bundle of an "MP4 to HEVC"* converter plus a DirectShow HEVC decoder.

*I guess the result will be HEVC video + supported audio again in an MP4 container. But I have seen a modified x265 including L-SMASH as MP4 multiplexer already. And I can multiplex raw HEVC into MP4 later too, with MP4Box or L-SMASH. If you can handle our known-good free converters (like MeGUI, Hybrid, StaxRip), you may have little need for "x265 HEVC Update".

New German Gleitz board
Old 1st April 2015, 10:56   #2053  |  Link
NikosD

Since there is no UHDcode plugin HEVC decoder thread yet, I have evaluated the decoder in my thread.
For anyone interested it's here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...68#post1715668
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 13:01   #2054  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Enabling the STATIC_LINK_CRT cmake option does not (yet) generate a Windows executable with statically linked CRT. I believe it is just "prepared support" for when it will be implemented...

New German Gleitz board
Old 1st April 2015, 13:31   #2055  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Until now, HEVC has been a technology for experts and hard-core video enthusiasts only. We have a fast, reliable HEVC decoder, called UHDcode, but we needed to find a way to make this available for everyone to try. x265 was available in source code form, but we didn't have an application available directly from the x265 team.

To make it easier for anyone to try x265 and experience the benefits of HEVC, today we're launching the x265 HEVC Upgrade. We've created a new Windows 64 bit application that lets you convert MP4 files to HEVC. There is a new Basic Mode which anyone non-technical person should be able to use. In Advanced Mode we expose the full feature set of x265.

The x265 Encoder application is bundled with our UHDcode HEVC decoder, packaged as a Windows DirectShow filter; a plug-in for Windows Media Player. This upgrades Windows Media Player (64 bit) to play back HEVC video files (raw bitstreams or MP4 files with HEVC).

The MSRP of the x265 HEVC Upgrade is $29.95, but for a limited time you can download for free at www.x265.com. We hope you find these applications valuable.
Activation does not work for me...I got an ERR_NETWORK message. Probably because I'm behind a proxy ?
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 16:23   #2056  |  Link
Ma

Quote:
Enabling the STATIC_LINK_CRT cmake option does not (yet) generate a Windows executable with statically linked CRT. I believe it is just "prepared support" for when it will be implemented...
You can unpack attached ma.7z to build folder and use "./ma.sh" for native toolchain or "./ma-c.sh" for cross-compile toolchain. It works in "build/ma" folder instead of "build/msys".

If it works you can patch cmake updating one file from cmake-mod.7z -- it removes default -O3 optimize option which is added at the end of compiler options and unable to specify any option below -O3.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z ma.7z (1.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Ma; 1st April 2015 at 16:32.
Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 20:15   #2057  |  Link
grumpy

So partially crippled decoder, a limited x.265 GUI, an installer that messes with file association requires activation and God knows what else, and a cart system that is iffy and requires email registration. Also little information for where this is going.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 21:23   #2058  |  Link
x265_Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
So partially crippled decoder, a limited x.265 GUI, an installer that messes with file association requires activation and God knows what else, and a cart system that is iffy and requires email registration. Also little information for where this is going.
Grumpy,
As you know, most consumers only have 8 bit capable graphics chips/drivers, and displays. True 10 bit capable systems tend to be rather expensive and uncommon. UHDcode automatically accelerates on AMD OpenCL capable graphics (latest generation), including both APUs and discrete GPUs. We're working to extend this acceleration to Intel and NVIDIA graphics. I'm not sure why we didn't fare so well in a head to head with LAV, but I suspect that the problem is in the DirectShow communication. Our DShow filter decodes frames and gets them ready for the player, which requests them as needed. It wasn't built for benchmarking (decode as fast as you can... don't wait for the player). I'm just speculating... I'll definitely check into this.

We'll be happy to address any concerns about how the x265 HEVC upgrade sets file associations. I'll take this up with our dev team.

What limitations are you referring to in the x265 Encoder UI?

Our cart system doesn't require email registration (it doesn't make you confirm your email address before it lets you get the product). You can put a fake email address in, and still get the product. However, you won't be able to log into the cart later to see your order or retrieve your key if you use a fake email address.

Our license activation server suffered some hiccups yesterday, and our team has taken care of it. We'll keep an eye on this. In the meantime, if anyone had a problem, PM me the email you used when you checked out, and I can check into it. I can send you another key if needed.

I think we've been fairly open about what this is, and isn't, and I'm happy to shed more light on where it's going. It's a useful ready-to-use implementation of our HEVC libraries. We're not heading down a path of competing with companies that build complete video encoding systems (our customers). We simply wanted to make x265 and UHDcode more accessible to the average person. If you're a power user who is already happy with our command-line interface, or one of the many applications that incorporates x265, this is probably not for you.
Old 1st April 2015, 21:49   #2059  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
As you know, most consumers only have 8 bit capable graphics chips/drivers, and displays. True 10 bit capable systems tend to be rather expensive and uncommon.
So what? 10-bit encoding benefits (perfect gradients) are obvious not only on 8 bit displays, but even on cheap 6-bit displays - as long as real dithering is used.

Quote:
I'm not sure why we didn't fare so well in a head to head with LAV, but I suspect that the problem is in the DirectShow communication. Our DShow filter decodes frames and gets them ready for the player, which requests them as needed. It wasn't built for benchmarking (decode as fast as you can... don't wait for the player). I'm just speculating... I'll definitely check into this.
If low perfomance was caused by DS stalling then CPU load would be low. Which isn't true.
Please don't say that you never tested your "fastest in the world" claim against the most popular decoder, this is just silly.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 21:55   #2060  |  Link
huhn

it doesn't matter if you don't have a 10 bit display. it is well know that encoding in 10 bit is more efficient and a common practice these days. even the nvidia 960 GTX can do ASIC 10 bit HEVC and of cause it can even public broadcast is 10 bit.

BTW. nearly all directx 10 GPUs can output 10 bit or more using DP/HDMI by using a directx fullscreen surface.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote