Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 24th September 2008, 11:02   #1  |  Link
Globerex

Large files and Nero h.264 avc slow down

I've reproducable problems encoding files larger than 4 GB (source mpeg2 DVB recording).

Using 2 pass encoding for h264-avc with nero recode 3 and default settings i get more then 50 frames per second in 1 pass. But after a while the framerate breaks down to 6 - 9 frames per seconde while still in pass 1. Files below 2 GB in size work fine and fast.

The same setting as mentioned above using a 6 GB file results in a crash of nero recode. It stucks on 64 frames per second (fixed no ups or downs exactly 64.0 frames per sec) and the time to encode races up to an unrealistic value without stopping / reaching an end.

Does anyone have same problems or better a tip on this issues?
Globerex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 15:41   #2  |  Link
Ranguvar

I propose x264 It lays the smackdown on Nero, I don't think there's any dispute...

But if you really want Recode, try splitting the source file. Also, contact Nero support and tell them of the issue.
Ranguvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 15:32   #3  |  Link
Globerex

I'am very unfamilar with x264. I tried handbrake and mediacoder with x264 but the results are noticeable behind recode.

I stuck with the options and i need some kind of batch for my needs. I also need dump gui

For the slowdown i don't expect much from the support. My last questions gave me answers in the quality of "don't no" or "is as it is".

Thanks anyway for your response!
Old 25th September 2008, 15:36   #4  |  Link
Comatose

Then maybe it's time to learn :P
x264 is definitely better. You may have been using an old version of x264 with Mediacoder, and Handbrake's last binary is from February.
For batch processing with x264 (and many other kinds of processing) you can use MeGUI.

You can learn about x264's options at http://ffmpeg.x264.googlepages.com/mapping, though it may be a bit overwhelming if you've never really used x264.
Just ask if you need help with that, we'll all be glad to help you.
Comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 15:46   #5  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
I also need dump gui
Is Ripbot264 dump enough???
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 16:12   #6  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globerex View Post
I'am very unfamilar with x264. I tried handbrake and mediacoder with x264 but the results are noticeable behind recode.
Try MeGUI or Ripbot264.

What do you mean by "noticeable behind recode"? Quality-wise, x264 rips Recode apart, mostly because Recode is using a rather crippled Ateme encoder core from almost 5 years ago.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 11:15   #7  |  Link
Globerex

ok, ok, ok

You guy's got me.

I've two issus with that x264 thing.

1. I need good and easy batch encoding with an easy interface
- i promise to try the named gui's

2. I need to encode avc h.264 with dolby 5.1 audio stream (copy from mpeg broadcasting recording stream)
Don't hit me i know it is non mp4 standard. But Nero does copying the ac3 5.1 stream and (this is my ko reason) i can give that ac3 stream 1:1 to my AV-Receiver without quality loss. For the AC3 2.0 or mpeg-audio tv-recordings i think it is ok to reencode to AAC. At the moment i get an MP4 container with h264 avc and AC3-5.1 from Nero.

Any further hints on that one?
Old 26th September 2008, 11:21   #8  |  Link
Globerex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
What do you mean by "noticeable behind recode"? Quality-wise, x264 rips Recode apart, mostly because Recode is using a rather crippled Ateme encoder core from almost 5 years ago.
Behind in quality. I believe it is not the fault of x264, rather than "no knowledge about how to set the parameters to get better quality" on my side.

Hopefully one of the guis will encapsulate the complicated settings as Nero does. I can't really say whats better, but Nero gives my good results without tweaking and guessing on parameters. Sorry, don't wanna complain anyone here!
Old 26th September 2008, 11:47   #9  |  Link
Globerex

silly me?

Using megui i can't even open my input file (mpeg recoding with ac3 2.0 via DVB).

Have i first to create an avs script? How can i just open my input file and say "do an x264 with AAC 2.0 outfile". How to create such a script? The Scriptbuilder in the tools menu does'nt open my video file either

Sorry, if that is a stupid question here. But i fear that this exactely what i meant. Nero allows just to open my file setup bitrate, 2pass and best quality and than it goes...
Old 26th September 2008, 11:49   #10  |  Link
Globerex

aaahh: have to create first a D2V file... oh no
Old 26th September 2008, 11:59   #11  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globerex View Post
2. I need to encode avc h.264 with dolby 5.1 audio stream (copy from mpeg broadcasting recording stream)
Don't hit me i know it is non mp4 standard. But Nero does copying the ac3 5.1 stream and (this is my ko reason) i can give that ac3 stream 1:1 to my AV-Receiver without quality loss. For the AC3 2.0 or mpeg-audio tv-recordings i think it is ok to reencode to AAC. At the moment i get an MP4 container with h264 avc and AC3-5.1 from Nero.

Any further hints on that one?
I think most GUIs keep the AC3 track intact by default if you use Matroska (MKV) as the output container.

AC3 in MP4 is not yet supported by all tools because it was only recently included in the standard (read the rest of this thread if you're interested in MP4 output).

Quote:
aaahh: have to create first a D2V file... oh no
Try some of the more simple tools if MeGUI is too difficult. There are many good choices around.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 12:04   #12  |  Link
Globerex

Thanks for you answer.

MeGui crashed when using OneClick Encoder (that sounds like something i'am looking for).

-----------------

---------------------------
Fatal error
---------------------------
MeGUI encountered a fatal error and may not be able to proceed. Reason: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: path1 Source of exception: mscorlib stacktrace: at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)

at MeGUI.OneClickPostProcessor.fillInAudioInformation()

at MeGUI.OneClickPostProcessor.postprocess()

at MeGUI.OneClickPostProcessor.postprocess(MainForm mainForm, Job job)

at MeGUI.core.gui.JobWorker.postprocessJob(Job job)

at MeGUI.core.gui.JobWorker.<>c__DisplayClass8.<UpdateGUIStatus>b__5()

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

-----------------

Ripbot264 could not be downloaded, because of probs at mediafire.

What other easy guis do you know?

Last edited by Globerex; 26th September 2008 at 12:09.
Old 26th September 2008, 13:05   #13  |  Link
nm

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=129748
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 13:45   #14  |  Link
Globerex

Awasome, RipBot does the trick! Just what i wanted for AC3 2.0

Thank you very much!

Last edited by Globerex; 26th September 2008 at 13:57.

Tags
encoding, file, large, nero, recode