Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th January 2017, 20:14   #42141  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusr View Post
Do you guys leave nvidias control panel setting "Content type reported to display" to Auto: Select? Or do you choose Full screen Videos?
I choose desktop programs, because I also use the PC to play games. I really do not know what this option is for.

Enviado desde mi MI 4LTE mediante Tapatalk
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 20:36   #42142  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Hey!

I got a question: Say, I want to get me a display - like Dell 2516D which is 100% adobe RGB. Will the colors go in clipping mode? Do I need to make any adjustments for madVR? Anyone has any idea about this?
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 20:59   #42143  |  Link
huhn

simply don't use it in adobe RGB mode.
it has an sRGB mode.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 23:28   #42144  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
simply don't use it in adobe RGB mode.
it has an sRGB mode.
That's not quite possible - the colors are offset, black and white are poor while in sRGB mode - everything looks washed out...

I understand that if I use it in adobeRGB mode, the colors will clip?
Old 25th January 2017, 00:13   #42145  |  Link
huhn

this has nothing to do with washed out or not.

and clipping has nothing to do with this to color will be "over"saturated face color are going to be totally off.
Old 25th January 2017, 00:16   #42146  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If you want videos to look good on an AdobeRGB monitor, you need to calibrate it and create a 3DLUT. But anything outside of madVR will still look off - typically oversaturated.
Old 25th January 2017, 00:29   #42147  |  Link
huhn

these screen doesn't have a BT 709/sRGB mode/gamut mapping feature?
that would be quite sad.
Old 25th January 2017, 00:31   #42148  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Usually they do, but quality may be subpar. Unless you do professional graphics work, buying one of those is generally a mistake.
Old 25th January 2017, 00:36   #42149  |  Link
huhn

isn't it pretty normal that an uncalibrated screen is subpar.

Quote:
Unless you do professional graphics work, buying one of those is generally a mistake.
agree.
Old 25th January 2017, 00:53   #42150  |  Link
fedpul

Have anyone tried the new option in NV Control Panel "Optimize for Compute Performance"? It is a new option in drivers 378.49, that improves performance in madVR for me. It is just 1ms but it is something.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 01:28   #42151  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedpul View Post
Have anyone tried the new option in NV Control Panel "Optimize for Compute Performance"? It is a new option in drivers 378.49, that improves performance in madVR for me. It is just 1ms but it is something.
Haven't tried it yet - but I have a rule of thumb to not update Nvidia drivers until they are proven stable.

Quote:
isn't it pretty normal that an uncalibrated screen is subpar.

agree.
Of course it would be calibrated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Usually they do, but quality may be subpar. Unless you do professional graphics work, buying one of those is generally a mistake.
Now this is what I am curious about. Why would it be a mistake to buy one? Heard this line before and never got around it.

Quote:
these screen doesn't have a BT 709/sRGB mode/gamut mapping feature?
that would be quite sad.
They do have - but the mapping they come with is really poor - they don't even keep black at 0 and white at 255 - they throw everything off.

Quote:
If you want videos to look good on an AdobeRGB monitor, you need to calibrate it and create a 3DLUT. But anything outside of madVR will still look off - typically oversaturated.
Now... my question is: Oversaturated or they clip? I can probably live with an over saturated image aka what some might call over saturated - I really love strong colors. But I'm not so sure about clipping colors - for example if large portions of color are rendered at max intensity of that color istead of smooth gradients and nuances.

To create the 3DLUT in madVR do we need another software?
Old 25th January 2017, 01:32   #42152  |  Link
huhn

changing a screen from adobe RGB to sRGB isn't supposed to touch black and white what so ever.

of cause both have a white point of D65.

Quote:
Of course it would be calibrated...
Quote:
Now... my question is: Oversaturated or they clip? I can probably live with an over saturated image aka what some might call over saturated - I really love strong colors. But I'm not so sure about clipping colors - for example if large portions of color are rendered at max intensity of that color istead of smooth gradients and nuances.
are you sure you know what calibration is?

Quote:
To create the 3DLUT in madVR do we need another software?
and hardware.
Old 25th January 2017, 04:40   #42153  |  Link
py930828

I have some questions I wish someone can help me.

1. I don't watch anime, but I watch a lot of movies. The source I have are all blueray, so the quality are not bad; however, I see a lot of noise on every single movie, which is really annoying! These is the setting I have.

Can anyone give me some advice that what setting do you think is best for me?
Attached Images

py930828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 05:49   #42154  |  Link
ryrynz

Anyone know if the 1050 and the Ti is any faster than the 960 with NNEDI3?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 06:25   #42155  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Now this is what I am curious about. Why would it be a mistake to buy one? Heard this line before and never got around it.
Because a general purpose PC is designed to output sRGB, its the default of your OS and basically any application or game.
If your screen uses a wider gamut, any ordinary applications will look "wrong", in the case of AdobeRGB - oversaturated.

You would need color managed applications to properly use any non-sRGB screen, and outside of browsers and "pro" tools most applications are not color managed. For madVR to be color managed, you would need to calibrate and create a 3DLUT.

So if you don't use any tools that actually benefit from the higher gamut, its not worth it for all the downsides you get. Technically madVR could use it to display more colors, but videos are not made in AdobeRGB.

The same problem exists when you get a Rec.2020 or DCI-P3 Mastering Monitor or TV - you can setup madVR to properly handle the colors, but the majority of windows applications will still look "wrong", so using it on a general purpose system is problematic - but in the case of a TV, its main purpose is likely to be used for video playback, so its not a big problem there.
Old 25th January 2017, 10:36   #42156  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
changing a screen from adobe RGB to sRGB isn't supposed to touch black and white what so ever.

of cause both have a white point of D65.

are you sure you know what calibration is?

and hardware.
I think I know (?)

Maybe I have a wrong definition of what calibration is though.

About white and black points - Dell built in a tool for calibration to sRGB and using the built in sRGB profile will also shift the black and white so they aren't as good as while using aRGB.

This is what users have said about it - not my own superstition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Anyone know if the 1050 and the Ti is any faster than the 960 with NNEDI3?
Are you looking for improvements of more than 5% - 10% or somewhere around this ballpark?

Quote:
Because a general purpose PC is designed to output sRGB, its the default of your OS and basically any application or game.
If your screen uses a wider gamut, any ordinary applications will look "wrong", in the case of AdobeRGB - oversaturated.

You would need color managed applications to properly use any non-sRGB screen, and outside of browsers and "pro" tools most applications are not color managed. For madVR to be color managed, you would need to calibrate and create a 3DLUT.

So if you don't use any tools that actually benefit from the higher gamut, its not worth it for all the downsides you get. Technically madVR could use it to display more colors, but videos are not made in AdobeRGB.

The same problem exists when you get a Rec.2020 or DCI-P3 Mastering Monitor or TV - you can setup madVR to properly handle the colors, but the majority of windows applications will still look "wrong", so using it on a general purpose system is problematic - but in the case of a TV, its main purpose is likely to be used for video playback, so its not a big problem there.

I like punchy colors - I wasn't necessarily intending of using an aRGB screen for media creation but for consumption - aka watch anime using madVR - thus the question.

One thing I do not understand so far is how saturated will the colors look.

What I mean to ask - there is a difference between colors being saturated, and oversaturated. Oversaturation from what I know is the point where the colors clip to a certain color - where there is no more degree of red for example, but anything over say half red will clip to max red. This is what I want to avoid. If they look punchier and generally good - but there is a difference between different shades - that is not a problem - AMOLED tech does look saturated and usually doesn't really clip colors even though it has aRGB coverage (?)

I am the one asking questions - not answering them - most of those statements are under question and I kindly ask for correcting if I am mistaken about things...
Old 25th January 2017, 11:33   #42157  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Are you looking for improvements of more than 5% - 10% or somewhere around this ballpark?
I'm aware of the core count and frequency of both and suspect that would be all there is likely in it but I would like to hear from anyone who has actual numbers.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 13:54   #42158  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I'm aware of the core count and frequency of both and suspect that would be all there is likely in it but I would like to hear from anyone who has actual numbers.
Hm...

I know how it is for laptops since I am yet to enter desktop realms.

For laptops - GTX 1050 ti can be 20-30% better than a 965m thus it is comparable to a 970m or so...

Seemingly the performance in madVR faces an increase, sometime considerable - but in laptops it's problematic to measure - since you have to factor in the noise levels and temperature you're running at constantly - if you want to watch a movie.

Laptops that do offer 1050ti a good cooling solution might be too noisy to use it at full potential for watching movies or anime so you would be left with the option of lowering some settings so it doesn't use 100% of power all the time.

Sorry if I'm not extremely helpful here - tried my best to help you out.
Old 25th January 2017, 14:09   #42159  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I think I know (?)

Maybe I have a wrong definition of what calibration is though.
calibration is the process to setup a screen in a way that it is displaying the creators intend. so oversatured colors are unacceptable and mutually exclusive to a calibration.

Quote:
About white and black points - Dell built in a tool for calibration to sRGB and using the built in sRGB profile will also shift the black and white so they aren't as good as while using aRGB.

This is what users have said about it - not my own superstition.
so now they are not "as good as aRGB" they are off anyway without proper calibration.

if the "user" aren't measuring the colors correctly using hardware you are wasting your time reading stuff like this.
it is not rare that bt 709 colorspace with very warm or warm colors is the most neutral "default" setting.
Quote:
I like punchy colors - I wasn't necessarily intending of using an aRGB screen for media creation but for consumption - aka watch anime using madVR - thus the question.
so you don't correct color at all?

and a aRGb screen i's a bad choice for this. the aRGB colorspace is for the professional use in programs like photoshop not to watch video content on it.
mostly green is way more saturated and the rest stay pretty close to original. this counts for all colors that need green in it.
no video is using that colorspace.
Quote:
One thing I do not understand so far is how saturated will the colors look.

What I mean to ask - there is a difference between colors being saturated, and oversaturated. Oversaturation from what I know is the point where the colors clip to a certain color - where there is no more degree of red for example, but anything over say half red will clip to max red. This is what I want to avoid. If they look punchier and generally good - but there is a difference between different shades - that is not a problem - AMOLED tech does look saturated and usually doesn't really clip colors even though it has aRGB coverage (?)

I am the one asking questions - not answering them - most of those statements are under question and I kindly ask for correcting if I am mistaken about things...
oversaturation doesn't mean anything is clipped. clipping is a processing issue in the screen image processor. the display technology has nothing to do with this. the display

even with 60% sRGB you don't have to clipp colors they can't be displayed correct but that's it. there are multiply ways to fix a screen with this one way would be clipping.)
madVR doesn't support aRGB output(like i said before a aRGB screen isn't the best choice to watch videos to say it friendly).
this may change if you are going to professionally calibrate the screen using a 3D LUT.

you can get a proper TV for nearly the same price.
BTW. this is the madVR thread not a screen guide :-). other not madVR specific question are answer on this forum too.
Old 25th January 2017, 15:51   #42160  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
calibration is the process to setup a screen in a way that it is displaying the creators intend. so oversatured colors are unacceptable and mutually exclusive to a calibration.

so now they are not "as good as aRGB" they are off anyway without proper calibration.

if the "user" aren't measuring the colors correctly using hardware you are wasting your time reading stuff like this.
it is not rare that bt 709 colorspace with very warm or warm colors is the most neutral "default" setting.

so you don't correct color at all?

and a aRGb screen i's a bad choice for this. the aRGB colorspace is for the professional use in programs like photoshop not to watch video content on it.
mostly green is way more saturated and the rest stay pretty close to original. this counts for all colors that need green in it.
no video is using that colorspace.

oversaturation doesn't mean anything is clipped. clipping is a processing issue in the screen image processor. the display technology has nothing to do with this. the display

even with 60% sRGB you don't have to clipp colors they can't be displayed correct but that's it. there are multiply ways to fix a screen with this one way would be clipping.)
madVR doesn't support aRGB output(like i said before a aRGB screen isn't the best choice to watch videos to say it friendly).
this may change if you are going to professionally calibrate the screen using a 3D LUT.

you can get a proper TV for nearly the same price.
BTW. this is the madVR thread not a screen guide :-). other not madVR specific question are answer on this forum too.
I will leave non madVR topics out then!

I got the idea now - of what is happening and why!

Thank you for your help!

Regarding my latest experiments with madVR, it seems like I get the best results for me by not using the absolute maxxed out settings I can, but rather using a conservatory set of setting. Applying just the right amount seems the key for the best image

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling