Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 17th August 2020, 20:40   #1041  |  Link
nji

The man from over the rainbow is right again
Thanks.

Actually I installed a codec pack (K-Lite).
But as probably most of VD users will,
and most of the codec packs will contain lagarith,
nearly everyone should have that double entry in VD (?).
Should be no problem to "disable" the vdplugin thing then?
(I hate unnecessary redundancy)
nji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2020, 07:29   #1042  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

You might delete the vdplugin files from the plugin directories below VDub2. Would just be a pity if you missed any advantage of the native plugin if you prefer the VfW codec, if there are any.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2020, 10:39   #1043  |  Link
Blackout

Hi i seem to experience a frustrating bug in the latest Virtualdub2

exactly same bug is in Virtualdub1. Hmmm

heres how to replicate:
1:/ Load Virtualdub1 or 2
2:/ Load avi
3:/ load "Load processing settings" containing the De-interlace plugin with setting to Yadif and double frame rate, bottom field first
4:/ scroll bar across bottom...avi ends early when dragged to far right.

in comparison...it works correctly if you do it in reverse:
1:/ Load Virtualdub 1 or 2
2:/ Load "Load processing settings" containing the De-interlace plugin with setting to Yadif and double frame rate, bottom field first
3:/ Load avi
4:/ scroll bar across bottom to the far right, last frame number listed on the slider bar far-right is double the figure from above procedure (as it should be)...avi ends correctly

????

Whilst there is a workaround it is fairly frustrating...please take a look at this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Blackout.
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2020, 11:39   #1044  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

^ A few more bits were discussed earlier in the VideoHelp forums.

New German Gleitz board
Old 19th September 2020, 01:55   #1045  |  Link
shekh

Blackout

Hi, show your processing settings (entire file). There is such effect when video length is written in script.
Old 19th September 2020, 02:49   #1046  |  Link
Blackout

hi shekh...sure thing here you are:

VirtualDub.audio.SetSource(1);
VirtualDub.audio.SetMode(0);
VirtualDub.audio.SetInterleave(1,500,1,0,0);
VirtualDub.audio.SetClipMode(1,1);
VirtualDub.audio.SetEditMode(1);
VirtualDub.audio.SetConversion(0,0,0,0,0);
VirtualDub.audio.SetVolume();
VirtualDub.audio.SetCompression();
VirtualDub.audio.EnableFilterGraph(0);
VirtualDub.video.SetInputFormat(0);
VirtualDub.video.SetOutputFormat(7);
VirtualDub.video.SetMode(3);
VirtualDub.video.SetSmartRendering(0);
VirtualDub.video.SetPreserveEmptyFrames(0);
VirtualDub.video.SetFrameRate2(1,0,1);
VirtualDub.video.SetTargetFrameRate(500000,10000);
VirtualDub.video.SetIVTC(0, 0, 0, 0);
VirtualDub.video.SetCompression();
VirtualDub.SaveFormatAVI();
VirtualDub.SaveAudioFormat("");
VirtualDub.video.filters.BeginUpdate();
VirtualDub.video.filters.Clear();
VirtualDub.video.filters.Add("deinterlace");
VirtualDub.video.filters.instance[0].Config(0,0,1);
VirtualDub.video.filters.EndUpdate();
VirtualDub.audio.filters.Clear();

Cheers,
Blackout
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2020, 22:02   #1047  |  Link
TB54

Hello everyone (sorry kinda newbie here)!

I was very pleased to discover the existence of Virtualdub2, and to see it could encode ProResHQ - which is really practical for video editing.

But weirdly, it seems most of the files I encode with Virtualdub2 (Uncompressed video files, h265 encoded files...) are not understood by Adobe Premiere/Encoder, which doesn't recognize the codec and doesn't want to import it.

Any idea why?

The weirdest happens when i export ProRes (in mov) from virtualdub2.

If the clip I export is shorter than 7mn10 (below 1,63 Go in this case), it opens without a problem in Quick Time Player, Adobe Premiere, or Adobe Media Encoder (the only difference with a "normal" ProResHQ exported from adobe or quicktime, is that when i import this one in Adobe, the video's codec will be called "APCH" and not "Apple Pro Res HQ").

But if the clip is longer than 7mn10 (or at least above 1,63 Go), it won't open in QuickTime, or Adobe Premiere/Encoder - the software says it can't read APCH codec (and Quicktime will also not open it anymore, speaking of "a bad public movie atom").

Of course it's an Adobe/QT problem, but what changes in the file after 7mn10 or 1,63 Go for it to suddenly be not recognized by Adobe? Is there a problem in the way it's exported? In the metadata? I first thought it was a problem related to .mov container, but it's the same difference once i muxed the file in a mkv...

The fact that an Uncompressed video file exported threw the old Virtualdub 1.10.4 opens in Adobe Suite without problem makes me think it's related to the software (well, freeware).

I would be very happy if there is a solution, or an explanation, because for video files encoded for the net or for my video player, Virtualdub2 is the perfect-dream freeware.
TB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 08:07   #1048  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Thank you for your verbose report. The error message "bad public movie atom" is clearly a hint towards an issue with the structure of the MOV header.

New German Gleitz board
Old 24th September 2020, 09:58   #1049  |  Link
TB54

Just to add a precision: the h265 not working in Adobe Suite were exported in mp4 container.

Thanks for the quick answer!
Old 24th September 2020, 10:39   #1050  |  Link
shekh

Maybe "mov +faststart" output option could change something, it alters the file structure (moves all headers to the beginning).
Also I had a bunch of requests to improve metadata on prores which I failed to reach yet. Could be related.
Old 24th September 2020, 10:58   #1051  |  Link
TB54

I'm sorry (newbie here), where can i check the "mov +faststart" option?

Another tiny thing concerning ProRes encoding (it's really a detail): the little ProRes window proposes me the profiles I already know (Proxy, LT, Standard, HQ, 444...), but also proposes me to choose a quality (between 2 and 31). This is a little confusing, because usually (in all editing software), you only choose the ProRes Profile you need, and can't choose anything else (it's rather the idea: the HQ profile is the assurance of a almost lossless quality, it's a standard).

Is it an error from VD, or just something (different quality gradient for each profile) the other software never proposed?
Old 24th September 2020, 13:29   #1052  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

One of the file types when saving in VD2 (F7):

I guess the quality (or rather quantization?) selection is for saving without respecting the constraints of a specific profile?

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 24th September 2020 at 13:33.
Old 24th September 2020, 15:28   #1053  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB54 View Post

Another tiny thing concerning ProRes encoding (it's really a detail): the little ProRes window proposes me the profiles I already know (Proxy, LT, Standard, HQ, 444...), but also proposes me to choose a quality (between 2 and 31). This is a little confusing, because usually (in all editing software), you only choose the ProRes Profile you need, and can't choose anything else (it's rather the idea: the HQ profile is the assurance of a almost lossless quality, it's a standard).

Is it an error from VD, or just something (different quality gradient for each profile) the other software never proposed?

This has to do with ffmpeg's prores implementation (which vdub2 uses), and all the ffmpeg variations (prores_ks, prores_aw, prores) . It's not Apple certified. Apple certified prores is bitrate restricted. When you use a lower quantizer for ffmpeg variants can end up with much higher bitrate and higher quality than certified prores. Sometimes there are reported problems in some programs (those reports are more rare now)
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2020, 15:46   #1054  |  Link
TB54

Quote:
I guess the quality (or rather quantization?) selection is for saving without respecting the constraints of a specific profile?
It's written "quality", but you're probably right!

I just tried the two (Mov / Mov +faststart), it doesn't seem to change anything: the two works below 7mn10 / 1,63 Go, and don't work above.

But i'm afraid i bothered you all for nothing: I just tested another source file, and i don't find this limit (time or size), all is accepted in adobe, at least for now (i'm still trying other durations/files). So something in my original source file i tested first is probably to blame (even if it's weird, as i didn't always choose the same IN and OUT points in it).

Sorry for the trouble... I will continue to test files as soon as i have time, to see if there is a coherence/pattern for those (if there is more than one) that don't work to come back to you only if I'm sure of it.

Quote:
This has to do with ffmpeg's prores implementation (which vdub2 uses), and all the ffmpeg variations (prores_ks, prores_aw, prores) . It's not Apple certified. Apple certified prores is bitrate restricted. When you use a lower quantizer for ffmpeg variants can end up with much higher bitrate and higher quality than certified prores. Sometimes there are reported problems in some programs (those reports are more rare now)
Ok, thanks for the explanation! Maybe that could translate in a functionality to fit the bitrate restrictions of Apple? (if it helps in anyway the compatibility?)
Old 24th September 2020, 16:27   #1055  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB54 View Post
Ok, thanks for the explanation! Maybe that could translate in a functionality to fit the bitrate restrictions of Apple? (if it helps in anyway the compatibility?)
Not sure if it would affect compatibility. For the most part, compatibility is a non-issue - it's just a wild guess that the bitrates are part of the reason why in rare situations there are some issues. There are probably other reasons in addition to the bitrate

Eitherway, that would have to be implemented on the ffmpeg side. vdub is just using the ffmpeg libraries to encode prores. It has nothing to do with vdub2 directly
Old 14th October 2020, 20:38   #1056  |  Link
TB54

Another little thing (i don't know if it's possible, or if it's just something from the ffmpeg side): is their the project to add more options to the x265 encoder?

Possibility to encode in two passes, to have a target bitrate (instead of "quality"), to have a advanced option window to add specific code... All that is available in the x264 encoding panel, or in handbrake for x265. It would be helpful!
Old 18th October 2020, 22:06   #1057  |  Link
Dwedit

I just added a new feature (copy frame to Windows Clipboard), how do I get this merged into the mainline version?
Dwedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 22:25   #1058  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwedit View Post
I just added a new feature (copy frame to Windows Clipboard), how do I get this merged into the mainline version?
Is this feature any different than:

video => copy source frame to clipboard (ctrl+1)
or
video => copy output frame to clipboard (ctrl+2)
Old 18th October 2020, 22:30   #1059  |  Link
Dwedit

Didn't see that feature, thanks. Not needed then. Normally, I'd expect something that copies to the clipboard to be on the "Edit" menu, not the "Video" menu, so I missed it completely.

Last edited by Dwedit; 18th October 2020 at 23:23.
Dwedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 07:35   #1060  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Possibly because you copy only the video frame, not the related audio; and it was paired with writing it out into a file, already in earlier VirtualDub versions.

New German Gleitz board