Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 21st November 2018, 12:36   #1  |  Link
stormy1777

Adding/using dither/ GradFun3 to VirtualDub2

So, Hello_Hello, in this thread:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...27#post1858027

suggested to use GradFun3 to try and improve an encode from another thread

It seems to not be there by default:

Code:
---------------------------
VirtualDub Error
Avisynth open failure:
Script error: there is no function named "GradFun3"
(L:\Open_Filter_test.avs, line 4)
OK   
picked up latest dither from here:

http://ldesoras.free.fr/prod.html#src_ditheravsi

any chance someone knows how to "install" or "use" this, within VirtualDub2 ?

Inside are 2 dlls in win32/win64, as well as top level avsi scripts, but no clear indication how to "put this in the path" or have VD2 load them on startup or via a script?

I do have other AVS scripts that work fine... this thing looks different than a plugin or an external encoder, so not sure where/how to use it

Stormy.
stormy1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 17:32   #2  |  Link
poisondeathray

Put dither.avsi, and dither.dll in the plugins directory to autoload. You need to match the proper version for the .dll (32bit vs 64bit) with the avisynth version (32bit vs 64bit)
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 18:34   #3  |  Link
hello_hello

Now I feel a bit obligated....

If you have Avisynth installed you can put plugins in the Avisynth/plugins folder and Avisynth will auto-load them each time it runs. 32 bit versions of plugins for 32 bit Avisynth and the 64 bit versions for 64 bit Avisynth. It's probably less hassle to use 32 bit versions of plugins and 32 bit Avisynth, at least for the moment, so here's 32 bit instructions.....

You need dither.dll and avstp.dll from the win32 folder in the zip file.

The included scripts also need to be in the plugins folder (dither.avis and mt_multi_expand.avis). If you open dither.avis with Notepad you'll see the GradFun3() function if you scroll down a bit, so you definitely need it. Avisynth scripts can include functions, and often they contain nothing but functions (give it a couple of days and you'll probably be experimenting with creating your own ). If a script has an avis extension and it's in the plugins folder, Avisynth will auto-load it too.

The "dither package" requires additional plugins, and there's often many versions to ensure confusion, and plugins can have dependencies of their own, but I sense you're committed and can't turn back now.....

AddGrainC needs to be in the Avisynth/plugins folder. It requires the Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package. There's a link for it on the AddGrainC page in case you need to install it.

Dfttest.dll should be in the Avisynth/plugins folder. For additional funkiness, Dfttest requires libfftw3f-3.dll, but it's not an Avisynth plugin. Download fftw-3.3.5-dll32.zip from here. libfftw3f-3.dll is inside. The 32 bit version needs to be in the Windows\SysWOW64 folder if you run a 64 bit flavour of Windows. For 32 bit Windows, it needs to be in the windows\system32 folder. There's a few plugins that require libfftw3f-3.dll, but sometimes with a different name, so make a copy of libfftw3f-3.dll and rename it fftw3.dll. Put fftw3.dll in the SysWOW64 or system32 folder as appropriate along with libfftw3f-3.dll.

RgTools is a required plugin and needs to be in the Avisynth/plugins folder. RgTools requires Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017. There's a link on the RGTools page if you don't have it already.

mvtools2 is required. Download it here. Copy the x86 version of mvtools2.dll to the Avisynth/plugins folder. Don't be afraid to do the same for Depan.dll and DepanEstimate.dll. You don't need them now but you will sooner or later. Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 Update 3 is a requirement for that flavour of mvtools2.

Masktools2.dll should be in the Avisynth/plugins folder too.

To be honest I'd forgotten the whole dither tools package required that much work, but I've done most of it, and all that's left is a bit of downloading for you to do.
Don't be put off. Many Avisynth functions use the above plugins and once they're working they'll keep working. No doubt you'll need additional plugins down the road (my Avisynth/plugins folder contains around 80 avsi scripts and 50+ dlls), but you'll be off to a pretty good start once this is done, and relative to getting VD's external encoder option to work, it's fairly easy to do.

Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd November 2018 at 11:25.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2018, 15:27   #4  |  Link
stormy1777

Well, Hello^2...

Although I'm very determined overall, I think you've (grossly) over-estimated the "determination" going this route - in a fun way Trying to simplify things as much as possible however, since your nice/long/detailed response, decided to try it anyways, followed all steps.. I cannot believe if it's that complex why no1 zipped it all up but then possibly there are so many things that can go wrong, hence each one needs to dig their own hole

even noticed broken download links on this: http://www.fftw.org/install/windows.html

Tried something like this:

Code:
Vid = DirectShowSource("Y:\test.MOV", audio=false)
Vid = GradFun3(thr=0.25)
It failed with:

Code:
VirtualDub Error
Avisynth open failure:
Script error: Invalid arguments to function "GradFun3"
(Y:\open_Filter_test.avs, line 4)
OK   
even without any arguments to GradFun3, same error, so i think I'll pass on this effort, since it is way over my head, lots of moving parts, and seems impossible to debug if you're not a developer

maybe one day, until then, I'll just take the default filters and live with it or expand the filesize to make it look better.

Thanks so much!
Stormy
Old 23rd November 2018, 16:44   #5  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy1777 View Post

Tried something like this:

Code:
Vid = GradFun3(thr=0.25)
It failed with:

Code:
VirtualDub Error
Avisynth open failure:
Script error: Invalid arguments to function "GradFun3"
(Y:\open_Filter_test.avs, line 4)
OK   

Code:
Vid = GradFun3(Vid, thr=0.25)

Because you have variable = something, you don't have an implied "last"

This would work too, because now you have implied "last"
Code:
DirectShowSource("Y:\test.MOV", audio=false)
GradFun3( thr=0.25)
Is the same thing as

Code:
GradFun3(last, thr=0.25)

Last edited by poisondeathray; 23rd November 2018 at 16:48.
Old 23rd November 2018, 17:16   #6  |  Link
stormy1777

oohhh.... wow, thanks for that rather basic and embarrassing avisynth lesson it then fails with this:

Code:
VirtualDub Error
Avisynth open failure:
SmoothGrad: input must be planar.
(dither.avsi, line 1704)
(dither.avsi, line 1685)
(dither.avsi, line 114)
(L:\Open_Filter_test.avs, line 4)
OK   
again, don't spend too much time on this, I don't see myself managing such a complex streamline....

Thanks much for everyone's help! hopefully this will help other brave folks
Stormy.
Old 23rd November 2018, 17:25   #7  |  Link
poisondeathray

What is your source MOV ? what does mediainfo say about it?

The problem with DirectShowSource() , is it relies on your system installed codecs . So computer A might return something different than computer B. It can be quite unreliable , and has all sorts of problems with seeking

What does info() say about what DirectShowSource() is returning ?

Code:
Info()

It might be as simple as adding ConvertToYV12(matrix="rec709") , but it might be the wrong thing to do depending on what the source is

Code:
ConvertToYV12(matrix="rec709")
GradFun3( thr=0.25)
Old 23rd November 2018, 20:09   #8  |  Link
hello_hello

You're so close now you must be able to hear the fat lady warming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy1777 View Post
I cannot believe if it's that complex why no1 zipped it all up but then possibly there are so many things that can go wrong, hence each one needs to dig their own hole
It's not always that complex. You just got lucky.
It's partly because everything's in a constant state of flux. For example, QTGMC is a very good de-interlacing script that requires quite a few plugins (all of the plugins you just installed are either requirements or necessary for some of it's options) and there was a link to a plugin package in the opening post of the original QTGMC thread. I think it's still there, because someone new to QTGMC at VideoHelp used it not so long ago, but the plugins are quite old and the latest version of the script won't work with some of them.
I created a new plugins package for it about a year ago, and despite the fact the link is buried in the middle of the QTGMC thread somewhere it's been download over 600 times, but the problem with plugin packages is they need to be maintained. Anyway...

LSMASHSource.dll should be in the "MeGUI\tools\lsmash" folder, if you haven't deleted MeGUI. Make a copy and put it in your Avisynth plugins folder (assuming you have the 32 bit version of MeGUI).

I don't think mov files need indexing as such, so try this first.

LSmashVideoSource("Y:\test.MOV")

Failing that....
It'll probably take several seconds to open because it'll index first.

LWLibavVideoSource("Y:\test.MOV")

Last edited by hello_hello; 24th November 2018 at 03:00.
Old 23rd November 2018, 20:43   #9  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I don't think mov files need indexing as such, so try this first.

LSMASHSource("Y:\test.MOV")
yes, MOV files don't need indexing with lsmash

But it's LSmashVideoSource

Code:
Old 24th November 2018, 02:19   #10  |  Link
hello_hello

Whoops. It was probably a failure to pay attention when copying and pasting. I fixed my post. Cheers.
Old 24th November 2018, 10:04   #11  |  Link
stormy1777

wow, I deeply appreciate your replies to this thread, sounds like you're some sort of experts or created this maze yourself so as to trap us in this forever

Seems you are having so much fun, and I'm now on a road with no return.. follow the white rabbit, so:

Info() shows:

Code:
Colorspace: YUY2 1280x720 FPS: 59.9402
Fearing of using the "lsmash", that might "smash" my video, ok, lets make a back up, just in case (humor friends...), then, Info() shows:

Code:
Colorspace: YV12 1280x720 FPS: 59.9401
ok, so it converted to YV12 colorspace, which I suspect is a "good" thing for the GradFun3()..

Code:
Info()
GradFun3()
no crashes, but in VD2, the video is not advancing, tried both play buttons, the timeline shows it is moving, but the actual video is frozen on first frame.

now, maybe that is expected, and even appears in the "fine print", that you cannot preview the magic before encoding, but really, impossible to edit in such a way, the preview is critical

Using my very old and basic skills of avisyth, attempted to do PIP, b/c that always helped decide/understand how things/filters/operations really behave, if it was me, all examples would be like that, to show original video and processed, attempted something like:

Code:
vid1 = LSmashVideoSource("Y:\test.MOV")
vid2 = LSmashVideoSource("Y:\test.MOV")
vid2 = GradFun3(vid2)

vid2 = vid2.ReduceBy2()
xpos = 0
ypos = 0
Overlay(vid1, vid2, mode="blend", opacity=100)
loaded OK, first frame looks as expected, however playing that in VD2 started a wonderful "fireworks" show, of all colors, blue, green, on both videos, all over the place, so , even the original video was affected?!!? I would expect the original video "vid1" to show unaffected, but it does not. Removed the GradFun3 and still similar crazy colors all over, pretty cool though, attached one screenshot for fun

Then replaced Lsmash with the direct show, and still things were super sluggish, and then noticed even older scripts are not working anymore (cannot seek, VD2 goes into cpu loop).. so possibly all these changes caused the system's codecs to change or something, or maybe that's how it was before and i just didn't notice???

I think i'll call it a day for this, since again, this is not my day job. will now focus on trying to get the original PIP scripts working again.. my use case is extremely limited in scope, just mux mov and mp3

I deeply appreciate your help, but not sure being on the cutting edge is for me, since I don't have the background (yet) for all these terms, etc.

I think i need to reboot maybe it may clear things up, not sure...

Cheers....
Stormy.
Attached Images

Old 25th November 2018, 11:40   #12  |  Link
hello_hello

I'd be very surprised if LSmash converted the colorspace. It has an option for doing so but you have to specify it. It's far more likely DirectShow was converting it. If you uploaded a small sample somewhere it'd speed up the process of finding the problem considerably. It's just a guessing game otherwise.

Could I be so bold as to condense your script a bit? It shouldn't have anything to do with the problem displaying the overlayed video. I don't know why that's happening.

Code:
vid2 = Vid1.GradFun3().ReduceBy2()
Overlay(vid1, vid2, x=0, y=0, mode="blend", opacity=100)
Although to compare the two, it might work better to stack them.

Code:
vid1 = LSmashVideoSource("Y:\test.MOV").Spline36Resize(640,360) # any resizing optional
vid2 = Vid1.GradFun3()
StackVertical(vid1, vid2) # or StackHorizontal

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th November 2018 at 09:26.
Old 26th November 2018, 11:08   #13  |  Link
stormy1777

I have to admit, by this time almost forgot what GradFun3() is all about... but the "StackedVertical" got my attention, so, tried again, and new day, new luck!!!!

Rewrote the split to put the ORIGINAL smaller:

Code:
vid2 = vid1.GradFun3()
vid1 = vid1.ReduceBy2().Info()
Overlay(vid2, vid1, x=0, y=0, mode="blend", opacity=1)
and again, thanks for the StackVertical!!

So, it DOES work, but... no fat lady was singing

To be honest, without looking with a microscope, the two images look the same, so changed to

Code:
GradFun3(thr=1000)
there, clearly there is a huge difference, things are totally FUZZY on the bottom image... changed to "0" complained about having to be positive (so we know it works), then set to thr=0.01, but again, saw no noticeable difference..

anyways, Thanks for everyone's positive support and help... it was a journey, and now can mark checkbox been there, done that on GradFun3(), so I'm good until someone comes up with GradFun4()
Stormy.
Old 26th November 2018, 12:18   #14  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Something to play with, choose your own values for Thr and ThrC

Code:
LSmashVideoSource("Y:\test.MOV") # clip is assigned to special variable Last

####### Config ########
THR      = 1.2   # Default 1.2 (pick your own after check)
THRC     = 1.2   # Default 1.2
DOSUB    = True  # True, put subtitles, else not
ORIGSIZE = True  # Reduce stacked size to same as input source
#######

Result = GradFun3(Thr=THR , ThrC=THRC)  # Calling GradFun3 with Special Last clip and assign result to Result
#Return Result                          # return Result clip if uncommented

d1 = ClipDelta(Result,Last,Amp=False)   # Subtract Last clip from Result
d2 = ClipDelta(Result,Last,Amp=True)    # Subtract Last clip from Result, and amplify

Last   = (DOSUB) ? TSub(Last   ,"Source"  ,True,$0000AA) : Last   # If DOSUB then Last is subtitled with FrameNumber on blueish bar, else no change
Result = (DOSUB) ? TSub(Result ,"Result")                : Result # If DOSUB then Result is subtitled else no change
d1     = (DOSUB) ? TSub(d1     ,"Difference")            : d1     # If DOSUB then d1 is subtitled else no change
d2     = (DOSUB) ? TSub(d2     ,"Diff, AMP'ed")          : d2     # If DOSUB then d2 is subtitled else no change

Lft = Stackvertical(Last,Result)  # Source Stacked above Result
Rgt = Stackvertical(d1,d2)        # d1 Stacked above d2
StackHorizontal(Lft,Rgt)          # Stacked x 4, is assigned to Last clip

W = Width                         # Width of Last clip (same as W=Last.Width)
H = Height
W = W / 2                         # As for original source width
H = H / 2

Last = (ORIGSIZE) ? Spline36Resize(W,H) : Last   # If ORIGSIZE then downsize, else no change

Return Last # End Of Script, returning Last clip

########################

# Return Clip Difference of input clips (amp==true = Amplified, show==true = show background)
Function ClipDelta(clip clip1,clip clip2,bool "amp",bool "show") {
    amp=Default(amp,false)
    show=Default(show,false)
    c2=clip1.levels(128-32,1.0,128+32,128-32,128+32).greyscale()
    c1=clip1.subtract(clip2)
    c1=(amp)?c1.levels(127,1.0,129,0,255):c1
    return (show)?c1.Merge(c2):c1
}

# Stack Overhead Subtitle Text, with optional FrameNumber shown.
Function TSub(clip c,string Tit,Bool "ShowFrameNo",Int "Col"){
    c.BlankClip(height=20,Color=Default(Col,0))
    (Default(ShowFrameNo,False))?ScriptClip("""Subtitle(String(current_frame,"%.f] """+Tit+""""))"""):Subtitle(Tit)
    Return StackVertical(c).AudioDubEx(c)
}

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 12:47   #15  |  Link
stormy1777

So much power floating unaccounted for.. Thanks StainlessS... Very impressive 4 split, I'll clearly need to study this topic/area a bit more.. very nice output!!!

Thanks Hello*2 for "insisting" and providing all the earlier setup details...

Need to figure out what to do with this seemingly powerful tool
Old 26th November 2018, 13:47   #16  |  Link
Groucho2004

I find flash3kyuu_deband much more effective than any of the GradFun implementations. Also, much better detail retention. Just my 2c.
Old 26th November 2018, 14:52   #17  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I dont think I've every tried any debanding whotsit, but am quite sure that I have both script functions, maybe I'll givem a try one day.

Stormy,
I'll leave it to you to mod this line with the flash3 thingy, "Result = GradFun3(Thr=THR , ThrC=THRC)", and to change config to whatever args it uses,
and similarly supply in the flashy function call.
Hope that the script function requirement dont differ too much from Gradfun3, but even if there are some additional plugs required, there will come a time
when you have pretty much all the major plugs set up, and most things will become a lot easier.

If you want a quick easy reference for avisynth, see Stainless@MediaFire below this post, in the DATA directory there is a compressed help file (*.chm),
can put on a hot key for instant access. Study the entire docs set, and you will soon become quite proficient, good luck.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 26th November 2018, 15:08   #18  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
I dont think I've every tried any debanding whotsit, but am quite sure that I have both script functions, maybe I'll givem a try one day.
Here's a clip with strong banding I made a long time ago for testing. Just compare f3kdb() / gradfun3() with this clip.

Edit: Here's another good test clip

Last edited by Groucho2004; 26th November 2018 at 15:13.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 17:38   #19  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Hey G2K4, you got dat dare f3kdb thing, seems to be bit AWOL, only the Github source seems available, and I dont really fancy trying to compile that lot.
Maybe someone should archive it somewhere, and post valid link on wiki.
EDIT: OK, got the plugin, see end of post.

Stormy,

Take a peek here to whet your appetite,

Some HanFrunz stuff (yep its nearly that time again everybody):-

2010:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=158676

2011:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163597

2012:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166752

2013:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=169943

2014:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171573

2015:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172979

2016:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=174134

2017:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175126

2018:- Coming soon to a cinema near you.

Gavino YUV demo as animated GIF:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...26#post1402326
(And see post 1 for the creation script)

Some DavidHorman stuff,
Quad:-
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1595308
(And ~1MB demo by Martin53 using Davids plug):- http://www.mediafire.com/file/hyz3tl...rbars.mp4/file

rgba_rpn0.1.zip
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1738374

Visible Human Project, quite amazing stuff from David (he da man!).
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...02#post1792302

Think I'll go to bed, hard to keep my eyes open. (well after I finish my glass of perry).

EDIT: From this thread:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...ncingBallMovie
BouncingBallMovie(~198KB):- http://www.mediafire.com/file/nh8mze...Movie.mp4/file
BouncingBallMovie2(~1MB):- http://www.mediafire.com/file/ijyrq5...ovie2.mp4/file
James Bond style Intro(~2MB):- http://www.mediafire.com/file/tp7290...potExpose2.mp4

EDIT: ChaosKing to the rescue:- http://chaosking.de/repo/avsfilters/...ers/Debanding/
5 versions of Flash3kyuu, including 2x x64 packages.

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th November 2018 at 18:28.
Old 26th November 2018, 17:55   #20  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Hey G2K4, you got dat dare f3kdb thing, seems to be bit AWOL, only the Github source seems available, and I dont really fancy trying to compile that lot.
Maybe someone should archive it somewhere, and post valid link on wiki.
I have added it to my 'Stuff' page.